Deadliest Catch is back

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Gypsy, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

I had recorded the show from Tuesday and finally got to watch it late last night. It is going to be a hard season to watch knowing that Captain Phil has passed on. Still not sure how they are going to handle his stroke. They were filming at the time, but it is up to the family how much of his illness & hospital time makes it on air!

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

From what I gathered, most of it will. It was strange watching knowing what's going to happen. Also strange knowing about Jake's father's disappearance. I'm still trying to determine if the *fight* between the Hildebrand's and Keith was real or fake. Keith is an annoying a$$ sometimes.

3. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet Well-Known Member

That fight was real. The Hildebrands offloaded Russell onto Keith. Russell turned out to be a bad hire and Keith tried to poach some of the other crewmen off of the Time Bandits boat. That pissed the Hildebrands off big time. Considering that Keith runs through crewmen like water you can see why people don't like him.

4. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Has anyone here been watching throughout the season?

I had lost interest in watching DC after the second season (primarily due to having a S2 marathon on one afternoon/evening while violently ill and ending up in the ER - when I tried watching it later on, it kept reminding me of how awful I felt that weekend).

I have, however, starting watching it this go around, primarily due to Phil Harris and the Cornelia Marie being my favorite ship and crew. Given the tragedy that occurred during filming, it has been bittersweet knowing what was to come.

Even though no one on the ship knew what the near future was to bring, when Phil caught his son Jake in the act of stealing his narcotic pain medication and the bombshell Jake dropped on his father, I flinched as it was particularly difficult to watch.

I do have to wonder if it was truly that much of a shock to Phil - IIRC there was mention earlier that alluded to Jake having prior issues with drug abuse -- at one point Jake referred to the beginning of the crab season being his form of "SeaHab," and given his fatigue, sickness (likely due to withdrawal from something) and overall case of "I don't give a damn-itis), some of the signs were there. Also, when Jake tried to rationalize and justify stealing the pills by casually saying "I'm an addict," Phil's response of "You're a liar and a thief, and when we dock, I want you off this ship and out of my life - I never want to see you again" leads me to believe that this isn't the first time they've been on that merry-go-round and that act was the final straw.

Tomorrow night's episode is going to be particularly :fragile: :wuzrobbed:.
    At Phil's request, the show will be including the footage of Phil's stroke, and the remaining episodes will also cover Phil's treatment and surgery in the hospitals up until his death, along with the other ships' crews reactions to the sad news. Also, DC's "After the Catch" will also air a special retrospective on the life and career of Phil Harris

On a different note, I'm always astounded at the unbelievable dedication, strength, and endurance the men on these ships go through when they head out in the Bering Sea. Last week's episode, with all of the ice that accumulates on the ship, and then, as it thawed and huge chunks would rain down on the deck and the risk of injury and/or death if hit by one. I was :yikes: when that 60 lb. chunk fell on Mike and hit him in his back and head, and I couldn't believe he was able to "walk it off" and go right back to work. These guys are like Supermen in a way.

5. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Yes. :cheer: I love this show, and even though there are some aspects that are a bit repetitive, I'm still in awe of the Bering Sea and the way the guys handle adversity.

Thanks for the spoiler. I knew what tomorrow night's episode would cover, but I didn't know how they'd handle things after that.
    This whole season has had somewhat of a pall hanging over it knowing what would be coming later, but based on some of Phil's comments, he almost seems to have known (and accepted) his destiny. I can't help but wonder if when he wasn't feeling well last week he was actually having a series of mini-strokes. I also can't help but wonder if Jake's addiction was the issue that just put him over the edge. You could practically see Phil's blood boiling during that encounter.

I wonder what direction the show will take next season. Like others, I'm not a fan of Keith Colburn, who strikes me as an arrogant, self-absorbed prick, and I don't particularly care for his brother either, so the thought of the Wizard potentially taking on a larger role has little appeal to me. And I don't think the Kodiak will be back (can't say I'll miss them much either - they seemed to be more filler than anything else).

On the Northwestern, I wonder if Edgar will end up quitting the life. He looks pretty worn out, beat up and burned out.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
    Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  6. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

7. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, I think the question is who is going to
    take over skippering Cornelia Marie. Josh? I think Kodiak is just this season's filler boat (and an oddball attempt to cross over with the substantially less-interesting swordfish knockoff on Discovery?)
    Bizarre as it sounds to fangirl real people, as long as they keep Northwestern I'm cool.

8. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

He would seem the logical candidate in that he appears to be the more responsible of the two, but in the last episode when Phil had the "big meeting" with the boys, he said afterwards that Jake was the one who was supposed to take over the boat, and that Josh "never had it in him" (or something like that). But it has to be one of the two sons, although I suppose I could see Murray coming back or a season or two to serve as an interim captain while the boys learn the rest of what they need to do to lead the boat.

9. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this, BittyBug....no doubt I'll have that box of Kleenex right by my side, not only tonight, but in the remaining episodes of the season :fragile: :wuzrobbed: .

Discovery will be airing a special about Phil on July 20th, including several interviews and footage from previous seasons (as well as this one) that never made it to the original episodes.

Regarding the future of the Cornelia Marie,
    for the remainder of this season, IIRC they did have someone else come on to skipper the CM until the end of the season. As for next year, it's yet to be determined who will permanent take over the position. In an interview with Josh, he was quite adamant about keeping his father's passion and dream (as well as their livelihood going). I don't think he's yet old enough to take the helm, but in that same interview, he was involved in the business aspect of things, much moreso than Jake. My brain may be addled a bit from reading several articles late at night a couple of weeks ago, but I think I may have read that Jonanthan Hildenbrand (is that his last name?) was considered for the job of Skipper).

One thing I did read is that Discovery Channel assisted with getting Jake help getting him into rehab. One can only hope that with everything that transpired, it will help motivate him into committing to getting clean. Of course, there's also a part of me that worries that he will be wracked with guilt and send him into a downward spiral at some point :( .

10. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Johnathan (Hillstrand) from the Time Bandit? That would be awesome, but also a little weird since he has his own boat with his own family on it (brothers Andy and Neal, plus son Scott). But since Andy and Johnathan split captain duties anyway, and Johnathan seemed pretty tight with Phil, I suppose I could see it. Especially since I could see Johnathan making a promise to Phil to look out for Josh and Jake until they could stand on their own. (Johnathan is one of my favorites - love his laugh and his honesty.)

He definitely could go either way. :(

11. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I'm watching the new episode, and after the ending of last week's, when Phil looked to be ready to beat Jake's ass, it seems as though he's taking Jake seriously about being an addict and is urging him to get into treatment and has offered to go to meetings.

He's also cutting his trip short to go back into dock, I'm guessing to get Jake off the boat so he can start immediately with getting help.

*GULP*

Got your Kleenex ready?

In other news, it looks like ice is falling all over the damn place on other ship,s but holy crap, look at the pots they're bringing in!! :respec:

BB, I like Jonathan, too, but if you watched last week's After the Catch, which featured the ship he's on (they're doing an ATC for each one this season), he's become somewhat of a drama queen/attention whore, as though the fame and recognition is starting to go to his head. Hopefully this is a passing phase.

Holy shit, he's going to take a mid-season break?!

12. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Oh man, they just showed Phil taking with Sig about Northwestern Jake regarding his dad's disappearance (and how the authorities found his truck), and Phil seems like he's already struggling to keep himself together physically - he does not look well at all :( .

The talk that the Skipper of the Wizard (name escapes me ATM) had with his daughter about his dipping was heartbreaking - good for her for staying on his ass about quitting.

13. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

More retrospective and commentary from Phil about his relationship with his sons, feeling guilt about how he raised them :( . During it, his hands were shaking, and he looked almost grey :fragile:

14. danceronice

*sniff* He was looking at old pictures of his kids.

15. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

The Cornelia Marie has docked for off-loading and counting their catch.

Oh gods, Phil is looking at photos of his kids and of himself, and showing them to Josh and Jake.

Steve's calling Phil on the phone for the final count, but not gettning an answer. Goes to knock on the door.

"Oh My God."

....And we go to a commercial break.

:fragile: :wuzrobbed:

16. StonewshMullet

Wow, the shot of Phil leaving his boat for the last time, with a crow overhead. Chilling.

17. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Those last 7-8 minutes were absolutely heartbreaking. Seeing Phil on the floor, absolutely helpless, yet amazingly conscious, had me tearing up. Seeing Jake break down, Josh immediately stepping in to take control and being told it's not important, to seeing him lifted by crane off the ship while ominous music played, to seeing him loaded in the ambulance and Josh leaning over him and telling his dad he was there for him.....all I can do is :wuzrobbed: .

The crew of the Cornelia Marie was absolutely devastated - the looks on their faces said it all :( .

Knowing how this unfolds, I'm dreading the remaining episodes of this season.

18. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

This whole episode was so dark. Johnathan looking to quit. Keith with his chew addiction, and Jake Harris with his drug addiction. Jake Anderson with his missing father. And of course, Phil. :(

The producers obviously had the benefit of hindsight when editing, but the foreshadowing in the episode was just eerie. And the crow - truly spooky (especially since for all the fowl they show on the show, I don't think we've ever seen a crow before). What a way for Phil to go out, too - lifeless and having to be moved by a crane, just like one of his crab pots. :wuzrobbed

I just loved the guy. He was such a wise man. Obviously not schooled in a traditional way, but he was smarter than all get out. And between his witticisms delivered in that raspy voice with those sparkly blue eyes twinkling, he was thoroughly charming in a salty, crusty way. Definitely just a big teddy bear.

The rest of the season is indeed going to be hard to watch. I recorded After the Catch, too, but I'm in no mood for levity after seeing a great man fall. :(

19. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

It was very moving, yet the Geico commercial with Andy and the Caveman was funny.

20. danceronice

That was a raven, not a crow. And despite the whole thing I'm sure some director and editor were giddy when they got that footage--ominous raven is ominous! (I also congratulate them for using an actual bald eagle call for the footage of the bald eagle, as 99.99% of EVERY eagle/hawk scream heard on TV or in movies is actually the scream of a red-tailed hawk. It's become a joke in our house every time a raptor is on screen, you KNOW what sound effect you'll hear. But they ran the keek-keek, high-pitched, very undignified eagle call instead of going for cheap drama.)

And strictly speaking Phil wasn't dead. The NYT article linked above seems to imply he was actually recovering better than expected (the fact that he was coherent and responsive to the EMT was a good sign) but suffered another pulmonary embolism in the hospital.

21. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting. ;)

Of course, but he's on his way and we'll never see him in the wheelhouse again. :(

22. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Have you seen the previews for next week's episode?

Watching the short clips of Sig's reaction to the news, as well as the shots of both Jake and Josh at the hospital about damn near broke my heart.

23. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Freddie's comments to Josh about his own experience losing his dad and his advice on what Josh's priorities should be were so tender and sensitive. Not what one might expect from a tough crabber.

It was also touching to see how all the hard as nails Captains were visibly shaken by the news of Phil's condition. He was clearly a much loved man.

24. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I dozed off waiting for it to start and missed tonight's episode :wall: - Discovery Channel fortunately airs repeats several times during the week, so I'll be able to catch it later.

After seeing the one little snippet of Sig when he gets the news in one of the promos, I can't even imagine how the other Skippers and crew members will react :( .

25. danceronice

*SOB WAAAAHHHHHHH SNIFFLE*

Watching the other skippers get the news, figure out how to tell their crews...OMG, I'd forgotten about "Northwestern Jake", the greenhorn who went on Cornelia Marie for a while, of course he's crushed. And Josh is killing me. And then Johnathan from Time Bandit meeting Josh in Anchorage and taking him to the hospital?

I don't cry about people, dammit! Now I'm sniffling through Deadliest Catch.

26. StonewshMullet

Sig's reaction was very telling. When he whipped his smokes across the room I almost started sobbing.

27. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Most of these guys are gentle giants in a manner of speaking. But I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of Edgar or Sig! :)

28. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

So did anyone watch last Tuesday's episode (as well as the tribute to Captain Phil)?

I can't remember the last time a television show, much less a reality one, turned me into a blubbering, boo-hooing mess :wuzrobbed . That was possibly one of the saddest hours of TV ever shown :( .

As if the initial tears from the end of the previous week's show when Josh called Jake to tell him their father died wasn't enough, my heart about broke when Sig, not knowing that Phil was gone, boarded the Cornelia Marie to introduce himself to the interim Skipper and made a teasing comment about "the Old Man" not liking something, at which time the new Captain realized Sig hadn't heard the news and had to tell him about Phil's death. That, coupled with Sig's reaction, brought on a whole new round of waterworks. Ditto for when he relayed the news to the Northwestern crew, who all broke down, especially Edgar :fragile: .

I was really glad Discovery aired the Tribute to Phil afterwards as it helped to somewhat lighten the somber sadness of the DC episode - I was dreading that it would focus on the grieving of Phil's sons and the reaction of the rest of the fleet, but instead it was part biography and part celebration of his life, also giving the viewers a glimpse into Phil's personal life. Was anyone else :rofl: at his cruising around in his truck with his beloved Yorkie by his side? And those gorgeous birdhouses (which were nicer than a lot of homes being built nowadays :lol: ) he built during his downtime following his pulmonary embolism two years ago?

For anyone interested, here's The Herald's (Everett, WA newspaper) obituary for Phil Harris:

In Memory of Captain Phil Harris

rfisher, BittyBug, Eden and 3 others like this.
  29. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I was suprised by how much harder and more emotional this week's episode was than the prior week's, even though Phil had already died. It was, as you said, seeing the reaction of the rest of the fleet, especially Edgar and Nick, that really made it all hit home. Seeing those ultimate tough guys reduced to a puddle of tears just did me in. And then their salute to the Cornelia Marie. :wuzrobbed I was surprised, too, by how haunting the Wizard's tribute to Captain Phil was, as well. Overall, an extremely moving episode.

Like you, I was grateful for the celebration of Phil's life that followed in his tribute. Even though I was familar with Phil's story, it was nice to see it illustrated with photos and remembrances of those close to him. I really enjoyed the comments from his wife, Mary, too, since that's part of his life that was never really revealed. Boy, is she one gorgeous woman. And to see pictures of the two of them in their youth, along with the stories of the cars, the Harleys and the partying - well, it made me realize that Captain Phil really did live more than a lifetime in his brief 53 years on this earth, and that he thoroughly enjoyed just about every minute of it, so that left me uplifted, even while feeling sad at the same time.

And then, as you said, there was that totally unexpected soft side of Phil that was exposed with the snippets of him with his little frou frou dog. And the bird houses. :lol:

He really was a character, that guy. Tough as nails when he needed to be, but still tender and compassionate. And most of all, real.

Cyn, there are a number of video clips on the Discovery web site, some of which have not been aired, that you would probably enjoy. It's going to be very weird to watch next season without Phil. :(

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.