Daylight Savings Time

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FSWer, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Guess we're on different schedules. I'm on my way to work by 7. I don't mind DST around the summer solstice as the sun's up by 5:30, but the early and late parts kill.

2. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I'm up by 6:30, in the shower by 6:45, and out the door by 7:45, although I am considering taking the bus to work as my job is right on the bus line, which would mean I would have to be out the door by 7:15/7:20.

3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Just depends on where you are in your time zone. We're still dark at 7 am for much of the DST period.

4. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Can't wait to leave work with the sun still out!!

This is the one thing I'm grateful to George W. Bush for. (He moved it up a few weeks.)

I read that morning people tend to have a more difficult time adjusting to time changes, whether it'd daylight savings or jet lag.

5. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I'm not a morning person at all, but I absolutely detest DST. My natural body clock seems to be on standard time, and it takes weeks for me to adjust.

Honestly, I don't care about there being more light in the evenings anyway, I'm not an outdoor person at all.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that it's this early now.

6. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I hate the time change we have to do twice a year here. It upsets the feeding schedule of my puppies/dogs and I feel off for at least 3 weeks each time we change. At this stage in my life, I prefer consistency. So here in Ontario, I propose we choose either DST or EST and stay there.

7. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I'm exactly the same. I've become a nocturnal animal due to insomnia and the nature of my work. The switch to DST is difficult and makes me completely miserable - though I do enjoy having light longer in the day.

8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Oh yes, it does. I will be quite draggy for about a month.

9. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

It's always been my least favorite day of the year.

emason and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

While I don't like adjusting to the lost hour, now that I don't have to get up early for work every morning I am ready for DST, even this early in the year. Right now the sun is up and in my eyes by 7 am. By the summer solstice, even with DST you can see the sky starting to lighten up shortly after 4 am. One of the perks of being so far north. I much prefer having that daylight later on in the day. Maybe it is partially where I am located within the central timezone but I would prefer if DST time was our normal time all year round. I get so uber-depressed every fall when we lose the extra daylight in the afternoon. Nothing like going home from work in the dark for someone who feels like a borderline SADS victim.

Spring is a really really dirty ugly-looking time of the year here but I am 10x happier than in the fall and it's all because the amount of daylight is heading in the right direction.

11. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Well, I am the opposite. I love winter, love fall and loathe summer with a passion. I love dark and could care less if we have more sunlight; the less the better so far as I am concerned. It doesn't bother me to go to work in the dark and it doesn't bother me to come home in the dark.

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

It's tonight, right? (for places that change)

13. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Yes, it is.

14. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Have to work tomorrow, so I have already changed all my clocks at home.

15. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Hubby and I are trying to decide whether to try a "fake out" this year. Instead of getting up at our internal clock's 4:50 on Monday, we were thinking it might be easier to only shift a half an hour. We'll be later than usual for work, but both of us go in early enough that it's not an issue. We might be ready for the other half hour on Wednesday.

16. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I like the spring ahead portion of DST, since I work nights on weekends...except there is always at least one moron who forgets to reset their clocks and is late to work anyway. Tonight I'll be making sure that the unit clerk calls everyone who is scheduled to remind them to set their clocks.