Davis & White #8 - Gnarly Marlie and the Silver Stars

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Mar 2, 2010.

1. skatekate

skatekate New Member

Yay! A fellow Spartan! I love me some Meryl/Charlie but part of me always cringed when UofM was brought up. What can I say, it's a heated rivalry! :lol:

Although the intent was to mock, I'm glad they can laugh about it (as they should)! The Olympics definitely introduced ice dancers to the most unlikeliest of demographics.

2. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:respec:

Bear McCreary's music for BSG is frakkin' genius, but it would definitely take a talented team to do it justice. If Meryl and Charlie were to skate to any number of pieces from the soundtracks, I'd be in heaven :swoon: .

3. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I thought this was adorable beyond reason:

Jeremy Abbott's twitter:
    Meryl's response:
    Hm, I want to see Meryl and Jeremy ice dance together now. Talk about tipping the cuteness factor. Watch out, Charlie...

Oh and yeah, I think Meryl's voice is adorable. I can't imagine her sounding any different, it wouldn't be right!

4. ambern024

ambern024 New Member

I listened to that and I like it a lot. It would be difficult but I think they could make it cool.

5. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

I love that poster and someone seriously needs to make one for a competition Meryl and Charlie compete at this coming season.

Another interesting soundtrack I think might make for a FD would be the Sunshine soundtrack. I guess I wanting a more modern and more futuristic sounding FD.

6. alince

alince New Member

Yes! is so cute!!! I want to see meryl and jeremy ice dance together too!!! I love both:violin:

7. letsskate

letsskate New Member

Are Meryl and Jeremy really dating? haha, love both, would be the cutest ever!

8. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that it is fame so much as good research. As a college student and huge sports fan, you make sure to know things like this about your rivals. For example, we once spent a game taunting our rivals about an outbreak of norovirus on their campus. And at our game two weeks ago, there were several signs based on the fact that one of the opposing team's players had recently been arrested for public urination.

9. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I don't think they are. Both of their twitters are so adorable on their own that them being even more adorable BFFs seems like it should break some universal constraints on adorableness.

I may have mentioned this before, but there's a part in the movie "10 Things I Hate About You" where (SPOILER ALERT, I don't know how to do the spoiler thing) Heath Ledger's character sings "Can't Take My Eyes Off You," and I remember thinking how good D/W might look dancing to that. It's very much in the vein of "Beyond the Sea."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6XGUhzfutc

I think the original version of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" sung by Frankie Valli is slower than Heath's version, thus harder to skate to, but it's a classic so it's been redone many times by many artists. I rather like Heath's version, with the high school marching band. :lol:

I think the trick will be to find what genres of music D/W can do that no/few others can, for the OD and FD. It explains many of their choices from this season. I was not a fan of the bombastic cuts from POTO in the beginning, but it showcased their power that few other currently competing teams have. I was not a fan of the crazy combo lift in the beginning, but who else can execute lifts like those? Only V/M and maybe one or two other top teams.

I like the idea of a more modern FD for D/W. I guess much will depend on the results of this Worlds, if they win silver again or upset V/M. Will they decide to keep doing what they know they're good at or try something a bit different? Just running down their past FDs:

Eleanor Rigby - Igor's brainchild
    S&D - Marina and Meryl's
    POTO - Marina and Charlie's

Does this mean Igor may be due for one? His ideas for D/W tend to be kinda voidy actually :hat1:: dark, slightly tragic romance (Eleanor Rigby and Billie Jean).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I love the dark tragic romance for them!! ER is such a sentimental fav. of mine. :swoon:

11. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

12. ambern024

ambern024 New Member

My vote...so far...for next seasons FD is The Blower's Daughter. I loved it when Jessica and Bryce skated to it '07 and '08 and I think Meryl and Charlie could really do a wonderful job with it....that piece of music is kinda a mix of ER, S&D, and POTO...which i love all of those haha...so it would be perfect!

i made a montage/fd to it...but who knows if youtube will let you see it since they aren't letting much through these days
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EnCeONOXKQ

13. DORISPULASKI

Way overheard, because D&D used it two seasons and everyone was sick of them using it. Maybe another year, but not next year.

14. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the memories, Doris! Loved those FDs. Now, four years later, both V/M and D/W scored 28 points higher than they did here! Well, technically D/W would have without the lift deduction. Speaking of the lift deduction, you know they got the deduction as well at Nationals. Do you guys think it was for the first combo lift? I know the technical panel uses a stopwatch to time the lifts so every second counts. I'm sure they are checking it out to see what the problem is. I thought at the Olympics they were ever-so-slightly behind the music for that lift than they usually are and as I said, every second counts.

I love the "Blower's Daughter" but I agree that maybe they need something more original next year. They need to keep building and really make themselves World Champions. Which I fully believe they can do.

BTW, there seems to be a new uber fandom brewing...(see Junior Worlds). :D

ETA: amber, would love to see your montage! You're right, youtube's got it blocked. Any chance you can do mediafire?

15. DORISPULASKI

Yup, I saw it. (I'm always interested in the juniors.)

That's why I hauled out V&M's and D&W's FD's.

The rules favored more intricate, busier programs in 2006, for sure. I don't think I&K could do either of those FD's as yet, from a technical standpoint. However, they do have great presence on the ice, and a federation that is pushing them to the max, right over Monko & Khaliavin (and B&S and R&S and R&T, for sure). Not to mention P&G.

I am sure I&K will be top ten next year in seniors.

16. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

I am pretty sure it was for the last rotational lift...

17. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of Blower's Daughter, but I really wanted to see your montage amber, too bad it was blocked.

18. ~tapdancer~

You think so? That lift is hard and they only get 6 seconds. Wonder what they could do to make sure they don't get the deduction again. I'm sure they are working on it. Then again, they didn't get a deduction during the GPF.

19. *Kim*

*Kim* New Member

Blower's Daughter would be a really nice choice to Meryl and Charlie,this woudl be a really elegant FD and cernetly would force them morre than ecer to work more on the lines and posture. I really like the Blower's Daughter idea!

Hey guys, I just saw charlie's facebook and I sw thta her marke "in a ralationship with Tanith belbin" I think its ofitial now, nice isn't it ( sorry if its old news).

20. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

21. ~tapdancer~

Wow, 9 Crimes is an amazing song made all the more powerful by that incredible video. Also loved the Sarah B song "Gravity". I'd love to see them do something edgy this coming season. I hope the ice dancers this season don't keep us waiting too long to announce their programs. Plus, I guess we need to find out what the ISU plans to do with the CD and the OD, if there will be any changes for the coming season.

22. jobelle

jobelle Member

Speaking of music ... I would love to see someone try to tackle some Andrew Bird music. It would probably be extremely difficult but if anyone could do it, I bet that Meryl or Charlie could. It definitely would be unique!

23. DORISPULASKI

24. valpadana

valpadana New Member

I agree with you !!

25. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

26. franzlfan

franzlfan New Member

My friend Juca made a gorgeous montage for Meryl and Charlie using the theme song "In Dreams" from LOTR. Unfortunately the youtube blocked the video immediately.

I've uploaded it anyway: Meryl and Charlie - In Dreams.

An alternate link to the montage.

Notice that I am NOT the author of this montage. I'm just helping my friend to share it. :)

Yes, I'm bringing this LOTR suggestion up again. Is it still possible to expect? ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  27. DORISPULASKI

Why not? But when you suggest a movie score or some tone poem song, consider how you would like to hear your favorite song with with a drum machine beat stuck into the least rhythmic parts. In both FD and OD, rhythm in the music is a requirement. Lack of it can be penalized in the PCS fairly severely (that is if any judge has the guts to do it).

Now for an exhibition, anything works!

28. ambern024

ambern024 New Member

oh i just remembered another one that I would love to see them skate to...and I can promise you that this one has never been used....Romance You by Nathan Walters

or a James Bond Medley....or You Know My Name by Chris Cornell

or Desert Rose by Sting

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  29. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

30. ~tapdancer~

Are you sure about that? That's all the shows. All 40. I don't think they will be doing all 40. They are guest stars, not full time cast members. I know it says "Show Dates for Davis and White" but I can't believe they will actually be in all those shows. Hope we can get some clarification.