Davis & White #8 - Gnarly Marlie and the Silver Stars

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Mar 2, 2010.

1. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

The butterfly leap has shown up every year they have been seniors! Hasn't it been in every FD? And I know it was in the Russian and Charleston ODs. And it was in the Bollywood OD too, now that I think about it! :lol: I laugh about it all the time because I can't believe they find a way to fit it in no matter what the program or music! T&Bfan -- I'm with you. I hope they have a new highlight for this Olympic cycle. :)

2. pani

pani Well-Known Member

3. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Thank you, theatregirl, for such an awesome report! Very detailed and much appreciated! Needless to say, I can't wait to see the programs.

Count me in, too, for no butterfly leap (it's great, Charlie, and we have loved it dearly, but it's okay if you don't do one this time around), and I also would be happy with a fierce but softer ending than the last two rotational lift ones. I still get chills watching the one from S&D and I really loved their ending pose (so appropriate for S&D) but I'm definitely okay with a softer ending.

4. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I think that Il Postino was in the middle although it may have been part of the end as well.

Now that I think about it more, I wouldn't take my word on this. I actually don't know that much of Musetta's Waltz. I've only heard it a few times. So it really might be.

Tessa and Scott did not skate. I'll post my thoughts in another thread at some point soon (had to go grade papers for 4.5 hours after I posted this one.)

1) So far I am pretty sure no. (and that was one of my first thoughts after it ended.)
    2) I'm not sure on this. I think at least they don't do what they did in POTO where it was rotation lift/immediate ending. Although it might be the last element. Clearly I needed them to do it 3 or 4 times as if I were replaying a youtube video.

5. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I still get chills pretty much for the whole program every time I watch S&D. I kind of hope that, after a couple seasons working on line and toe point, they bring that music back & do that program again as fully mature performers. They'd have to tweak the choreo a bit, I suppose.

6. Theatregirl1122

7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yay Theatregirl!!! Great report! :cheer2:

8. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Thank you for your report! I would love to hear about Samuelson & Bates and some of the other teams as well!

9. Theatregirl1122

I already posted a report as linked two posts above yours.

10. ~tapdancer~

I've had fun watching the FB videos from the "Shall We Dance" show...got to see Meryl and Charlie...how much I wish I could be at this show live. But at least we'll get to see it on television in Nov. Wonder what numbers they are doing at this show?

And Charlie's hair is still somewhat short! But still looking good.

Meryl looks beautiful in her practice clothes...can't wait to see her in costume this year.

11. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Seeing the Bollywood OD last night was amazing!! So much better seeing it live and their twizzles and sbs footwork was on.

I love their choice of music for their 2nd number 'Whataya Want From Me' but not sure about the choreo just yet. I think they need to connect to the music a bit more...make it their own so to speak.

They looked like they were having fun which IMHO is the most important thing!

So thrilled I got to see them live.

12. ~tapdancer~

Thanks, Twilight1! I saw their Bollywood OD live last spring and yes, it is so amazing seeing it live. Glad you got to see it. And thanks for the info on their second number. Always appreciated!

13. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

14. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

^That was so cute!

15. ~tapdancer~

That was adorable, Doris, thanks for posting! Isn't it great...there is an amazing amount of stuff for Meryl and Charlie online now, actually an embarrassment of riches for montages now. Remember a few years ago, there was one or two? Plus, youtube has practically every program they ever did, at least for Seniors. So nice...

ETA: We're getting close to needing a new thread, just in time for the new season.

16. Theatregirl1122

Surprise Meryl & Charlie and Emily & Evan sighting today. They were honored as Olympians/Olympic. Medalists at the Michigan Football game today. They were standing in the student section end zone and then right after, Michigan scored a touchdown in that end zone. Clearly they are lucky.

17. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Clearly!!! :cheer2:

18. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Actually they were also hosted in a radio program before the match...but I don't know in which radio :shuffle:

19. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

20. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

LOL, yeah there's a group picture on the Disson Facebook photo album with all the guys wearing that shirt. It's even worse seeing it multiplied. :lol: It seems like the guys often get stuck with hideous shirts for the group numbers in shows.

21. literaryfreak

Yeah, was there a discount on fabric or are these all left over from the 70s?

There's a video somewhere that shows a part of D/W's Bollywood OD from Shall We Dance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinLFptrmiU

Meryl and Charlie are around the 7:40 mark.

22. DORISPULASKI

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  23. literaryfreak

Thank you, Doris! I've wondered for a while how to do that.

24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

25. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

HahahaÂ…I thought the same thing.
    I feel better that it isn't just Charlie in that hideous shirt. I can't imagine Meryl and Charlie ever having a fashion faux pas. I had not seen the others in it so I was quite shocked.:eek:
    The other thing that is strange to me is how these show programs are put together in such a short time. The choreography seems to be suffering as a result.

26. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

They do seem to love that move, but I like it. It has actually gotten more difficult over time. In 97, it was a singles butterfly done by Charlie. The next year, it became a partners move, as Charlie placed his hands on Meryl's hips as he went over the top, she serving as sort of vaulting horse (but a lovely one). The next year, they did it like that except Meryl was turning at the same time. I think the turning version was in both the OD and the FD last year.

Just to show I'm not the only one who likes this move, Kurt & Shae Lynn stole it for their Shall We Dance number (except it doesn't look as good with her all crouched down on the ice.).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5555182&id=14961882236&ref=fbx_album

27. shan

shan Well-Known Member

That pic of Shae Lynn and Kurt looks like a game of leap frog gone awry. :lol:

28. literaryfreak

Are there any suggestions for new thread names, as we approach the end of this one?

29. DORISPULASKI

D&W-May the Postman bring them a golden letter

(Il Postino=The Postman)

30. ~tapdancer~

Good one, Doris! I have a variation on that..

Davis/White-May the Postman (B)Ring Gold More than Twice