Davis & White #8 - Gnarly Marlie and the Silver Stars

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Mar 2, 2010.

1. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Hi all, just got back from the benifit. Charlie and Meryl were there but didn't skate. They were kind enough to sign and take a photo with every single person there (and the place was packed). I have a bunch of new photos of them and my sister asked them if they carry around their medals and all of a sudden Meryl opens her purse and there her medal was!! I got a few photos of it. Charlie said his was locked away.
    After worlds they will be skating in Moscow and I think they said Paris. They are doing some SOI afterwards. I'll be posting about the show in the announcement thread.
    They were called onto the ice at the end and recieved a standing O for about 3 minutes from the crowd. It was announced that they weren't skating but Meryl and Charlie sliding around and Meryl pretended to do a spin. They were not wearing medals or anything. My sister was one of the last in line for the autograph when she asked.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:respec: mysticchic!!! Thanks for the report!

3. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I wonder about something from Grease maybe.

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh dear, now I'm wondering afresh if that means no time for D.C. SOI . . . :(

5. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

That would be what I am afraid of. I am expecting 10's of programs to Grease, Elvis and the Beatles.

6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I remember in 98 (I think) the OD was jive and there seemed to be a million Grease numbers.... I hope we see a variety of choices!

7. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

I don't know how well the Door's music would work for an OD, but I would like to see Charlie channeling Jim Morrison.

What about the music of Van Morrison like "Moon Dance" or "Brown Eyed Girl?" I also like The Who's "My Generation," but I'm not sure if that is OD material.

I would love to see Meryl dressed up in a 1960's mod outfit.

There are so many great songs to pick from in these 3 decades, that I hope and pray that their is a variety in the OD's next season.

8. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Looks that way. :(

This thread appears to match what Mysticchic heard: D/W will be doing shows in Russia and other cities after worlds, then it appears they will come back and do the Ice Chips shows in Boston, and then SOI. Bummer for us in the cities in the early part of SOI. I hope we can at least see Shen/Zhao.

Hmmm, I'm not too far from Hershey or Reading.....;)

9. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Emily and Evan simply must do a disco OD, but I really hope they choose a song that isn't overused shlock.

As for Meryl and Charlie, if they go 60s, I think something to Norman Greenbaum's Spirit in the Sky could be fun, but if they go more of the Motown route (of which I'm one of the three people on the planet who cannot stand the popular tunes from that genre), I'd like to see them skate to something along the lines of Ray Charles' "Doin' the Mess Around" - it's upbeat, has a great groove, and some wonderful accents in the music that could really enhance the choreography.

As far as the overall theme for next season's OD, I'm bracing myself for the overuse and abuse of the soundtracks from Grease, Stand By Me, Hair, Saturday Night Fever, and The Big Chill :scream: . I still have scars from F-P/M's atrocious "I Will Survive" FD from 2002(?), but it wouldn't surprise me if that song becomes the Kalinka of this OD Theme.

10. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

And don't forget Mamma Mia. ;)

11. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

If Emily and Evan don't do disco, I might get a little mad, even if I have no business doing so...

I feel like I've seen them dance to that music before, in an exhibition from Juniors. Let me see if I can find it...aha, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYAEVlQTI68&feature=related. Charlie's wearing suspenders, aww.

12. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, I remember that exhibition! I knew "Doin' the Mess Around" sounded familiar! Was "Sway" from the 50s? I made a montage of them doing "Sway" and it's a great song. Shae and Vic did it in Kurt Browning's show in 2003. "Sway" would be along the lines of Beyond the Sea. Oh, there are so many possibilities!

13. Wyliefan

That was very cute!

14. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

:) I didnt think of that - you might be right about it being a popular choice. Still there are loads of good songs there and I doubt everyone who uses Grease would pick the same song to dance to.

Even it does turn out to be over-popular, I still think D/W could do a really good OD to it. The music is very dance-able, suits their skating style, and they seem to do well in "roles".

15. DORISPULASKI

Having an OD that stands out is a good thing-think D&W's Bollywood this year or DomShabs "Jazz Waltz" last year. Of course too different isn't great either--think DomShabs Aborigines.

If they're playing for the win, they will want every advantage they can get.

16. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

17. DORISPULASKI

Anyone who says ice dance is not a sport should watch that clip!

18. Wyliefan

Really nice interview.

Am I the only one who thinks Meryl's voice is kind of adorable? :)

19. valpadana

valpadana New Member

Me too !!

20. DORISPULASKI

As to FD's, I'd like to see them do something more modern.

How about this for an idea:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Glob...o-help-through-Yele-Haiti-charity-and-Twitter

Do a Wyclef Jean medley, dedicating it to the Haiti earthquake victims?

I'm thinking Hips Don't Lie (as performed with Shakira)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUT5rEU6pqM
    and Fast Car (here with Paul Simon)?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxlxlRMHBc

And perhaps Rivers of Babylon that Jean sang to end the Hope for Haiti Now show?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4C4DZ13iPA

21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

That was a great interview, loved the exercise clip... Thanks for the link. :)

22. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

OK, maybe this is particularly funny to a lifelong Michigander like me, but I :lol: at the pic of a Spartan fan's sign that Meryl tweeted today.

23. Wyliefan

BWAHAHA! That is priceless! :lol:

24. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing! No wonder they are lean mean skating machines! The gym shots are awesome.

25. DORISPULASKI

That is too too funny!

26. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

As a Michigander by birth and a Michigan State fan (who is likely to be joining the dark side for graduate school next year) this is pretty much the greatest thing I have ever seen.

27. *Carol*

*Carol* New Member

Just here to say something thta I just notice, Charlie really look like thta actor from the Mentalist haha, both are cute.

28. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

omg, that tweetphoto was priceless! I absolutely love it! Wow, they are really getting famous! Course it would make me so happy for plenty of new fans to enjoy what we've been enjoying for a while now. GO Meryl and Charlie!

29. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

I would like Meryl and Charlie to try Wilson Pickett's version of Land of 1000 Dances for an OD.

As for a FD, I still like The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and Memoirs of a Geisha, but I also like the Battlestar Galactica soundtrack like Kara's theme
    and the Fountain (Clint Mansell).

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  30. DORISPULASKI

If they did Memoirs of a Geisha, they would get the same tripe about stealing a jr couple's dance (the Shibs) that they did about POTO (Chock/Zuerlein)