Davis & White #33: If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by flippedstargirl, Jun 24, 2014.

1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hope she had a policy of not reading comments. I'm quite amazed at some things that people feel comfortable posting or tweeting. :eek: (((Meryl)))

skatesindreams and mollymgr like this.
  2. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

It is mostly hardcore NASCAR fans. I bet a lot of them wouldn't even know about the Olympics. o_O In that same vein, my only education of things related to NASCAR has been through the informative movie Talladega Nights. Ironically, Will Ferrell also starred in Blades of Glory to firmly hammer those stereotypes home.:lol:

D/W will always be great ambassadors for the sport and Michigan.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    applelady and shan like this.
  3. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

I think you all are over exaggerating. I have not seen as many negative mistakes as you guys claim, anywhere. Yes they did boo, but that happens in every sport...even figure skating *gasp*

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  4. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I don't like giving credence to random tweets, but there were some very rude tweets that have now been deleted. And yahoo's article is actually titled, "Charlie White and Meryl Davis booed at NASCAR Pure Michigan 400." I chalk it up to some idiot people, not necessarily NASCAR fans, and a couple "news" sites wanting to make a mountain out of a molehill.

skatesindreams, shan and mollymgr like this.
  5. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

In the long run, no, it wasn't that big a deal, I guess I'm just surprised Meryl and Charlie were so meek about it. I mean, here's your chance to yell "Drivers, start your engines!" at the top of your lungs and you don't take advantage? I don't even like NASCAR and I'd have been all over that.

Meryl had made some comment in an interview (probably the one at the ice rink) that people have gotten creative with the announcement and I was expecting something wacky like Charlie lifting her over his head as they said it, not that they were going to attempt to be the quietest announcers ever.

mollymgr likes this.
  6. mollymgr

I guess from a practical standpoint, people are claiming that the drivers could not hear the command considering the din filled atmosphere of the event. Obviously, they must've figured it out.:lol:

7. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

8. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I find I agree with both sides. IMO her tiny, throw away start your engines was waaay too precious and self indulgent. If she felt that starting the race properly was too cheesy for cool Meryl, they should not agreed to do it in the first place.

OTOH, what difference did it make? It's not like this was the start of the actual race, it
    is just starting engines. You know as soon as anybody started his, the others would too.

9. misskarne

misskarne #408

I'm sorry, but Meryl and Charlie screwed it up - and they didn't just screw it up a little, they screwed it up BIG. It's a HUGE honour to be asked to deliver the most famous line in motorsport, and they made it seem like a joke.

To borrow an analogy I saw on another forum:

Imagine someone was asked to present medals at a competition and just tossed them at the skaters saying, "Here you go".

That's the equivalent of what Meryl and Charlie just did.

10. mollymgr

I don't think they did it deliberately, so I disagree with that analogy. If you look at their skating performances, they've never been the ones to jump with elation or scream from the roof tops every time they won something. I understand that it is an honor to be invited to do so. I think they may have underestimated what was expected of them. If they only knew how important it was to deliver those lines loudly (not just your everyday loud), they would have probably practiced it to get it to NASCAR standards. It is one of those things that you wouldn't necessarily know the outcome of until you did it. Most people who get invited to do this are usually entertainers, who are well versed with controlling and projecting their voice. At the end of the day, it was an experience. Just like all the other experiences people have in their lives, some more memorable than others for various reasons. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  11. caitie

caitie Member

Literally all they did was not deliver the line with the oomph people usually like to hear it with. It's really not a big deal. They seemed really enthusiastic and cute in their other grand marshal duties based on their pictures and the publicity they did for the race.

12. Meteorlight

Meteorlight Active Member

I completely agree that they didn't do it deliberately, but as much as I'm a fan of the two of them, they really did screw this up (they definitely underestimated what was expected of them). I was pretty bothered by the underwhelming delivery, and I don't even follow NASCAR (but have been to one of their all american wheeler events so have experienced the general vibe). I actually facepalmed out of secondhand embarrassment when I saw it (after hearing they were getting hate). I hate to see them ragged on by the media and NASCAR fans, but in this case I understand why people are upset and can't really blame them (the boo's and SM trolling are way overboard but unfortunately comes with the territory these days). I just really wish their PR had given them better (any?) advice on this one. That line should NOT have been said in a cute or funny way - it makes it seem like they're not taking the event seriously (which I don't for a second believe).

Personally, I think the medal handing out analogy is too harsh/unwarranted - they weren't trying to be disrespectful. I do think though what they did was more or less equivalent to someone announcing to the ice "here are your Olympic/World/GPF/National champions" quietly and with no enthusiasm, or when in basketball the announcer says the name of the person who just scored for the home-team in a quiet and subdued voice instead of the usual peppy grandiose yell (I use this example b/c I've actually experienced this at an NBA game, and to which my reaction was a big wtf).

Anyway, what is done is done. I hope M/C can take it in stride, learn a lesson (sometimes it's better to just go with tradition) and don't let this get them down. Sorry if this post came off negative - I still think they're wonderful ambassadors for the sport and brilliant people, but I genuinely hope they can avoid media missteps like this in the future.

13. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

I'm a big NASCAR fan. As soon as I heard the command, I knew their PR person or even NASCAR should have spent a little time explaining how to deliver the line. NASCAR has had plenty of non-entertainment industry people give the command. It wasn't a big deal, but I thought it was funny.

14. misskarne

misskarne #408

Really? Shouting, "Drivers, start your engines" needs explaining now?!

I'm quite sure it's not NASCAR's responsibility to make sure the grand marshals aren't going to deliver the line at the volume of a field mouse and the speed of Jimmie down the backstraight. To me, the volume wasn't the worst part, it was the rushed way she said it.

I didn't think it was funny at all. I thought it was awful. You can defend them all you like, but the fact remains: they screwed it up. They had ONE line to deliver, and they screwed it up.

15. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Eh, Charlie's part was fine.

16. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

Seriously, with all the hubbub, I was expecting a catastrophe. It could have been louder, but what's done is done.

If this is the worst misstep Meryl and Charlie ever take, I think they'll be OK. ;)

17. TanithandBenFan

It would need to be explained to me because I've never watched a NASCAR race and I honestly had no idea there was a certain way "Start your engines" had to be delivered. I didn't understand all the fuss when I first started seeing the negative comments. I didn't realize it was such an insult to say it quietly.

Debbie S, applelady and tlk like this.
  18. mollymgr

19. TanithandBenFan

applelady and mollymgr like this.
  20. mollymgr

I liked the fact that they put information about the disease and the link for donation.

LilJen likes this.
  21. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

The information on the shib/shibs' vid was really well done . Congrats guys. For those people who have negative comments about any of the vids, contributions and info disseminated, I would ask"Did you donate or in any way contribute to a very worthy cause? If not, now is a good time to put your money where your mouth is."

CassAgain and mollymgr like this.
  22. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Charlie's laugh is so great! Do you suppose this was filmed at his new house?

23. Barbara Manatee

Barbara Manatee Active Member

Why wouldn't it be NASCAR's responsibility to make sure their marshals understood exactly what they were supposed to do? Charlie and Meryl hadn't had any experience giving commands at noisy tracks - if no one warned them they'd need to shout at the top of their lungs in order to be heard, it's as much the fault of the organizers as it is theirs. They did screw up, but it was a mistake, not an insult.

Props to Charlie and the Shibs for their ice bucket challenge! Adorable and informative all at once.

24. misskarne

misskarne #408

Really? 170,000 spectators and race engines and they didn't think it would be noisy?

...nope, nevermind. I'm not even going to bother continuing. It's clear that the NASCAR fans are the big bad evil stupid bullies who just didn't get that Meryl was trying to be CUTE and that Meryl can do no wrong even when she clearly screwed it up.

All I can say is, if a racing driver was given the honour of announcing Meryl and Charlie at a huge event and screwed it up like that, you'd be screaming for his head.

Meteorlight and Andora like this.
  25. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

All I can say is, misskarne, you need to calm down, take a deep breath, and get some perspective. I'm sure when Meryl and Charlie were asked to do this, their agent probably told them they'd need to do some promo work pre-event, attend a press conference on race day, and tell the drivers to start their engines via a microphone out on the track. Which is exactly what they did. It may not have met hardcore NASCAR fans' standard, but some of the tweeted comments (and your posts here) make it sound like they should be shamed from ever appearing in public again.

I realize you have been faithfully watching NASCAR events for many years, but not everyone else has. I think you need to put yourself in others' shoes a bit more often.

If a NASCAR driver came to a skating event and announced Meryl and Charlie as they announced drivers to start their engines, I don't think fans would be "screaming for his head." We'd be too busy screaming for Meryl and Charlie. :)

alilou, Latte, Nell411 and 5 others like this.
  26. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

If there is anyone to "blame" it's the person who didn't advise them about the "delivery" expected.

alilou, Nell411 and Meteorlight like this.
  27. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

28. mollymgr

It is funny how everything D/W do these days makes it to Just Jared Jr. JJJ must be a place where budding paparazzis would apply for internships.:lol:

29. TanithandBenFan

30. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

:lol: