Davis & White #32: "Nap All Day, Sleep All Night, Party Never"

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, May 30, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

New title inspired by Charlie's latest tweet:
    ETA:
    In case anyone missed watching the 2-minute video that accompanied the L.I. Newsday article that was published on May 28 and posted by applelady in the previous thread:
    Video is dated March 3, 2014: http://long-island.newsday.com/kids...mpic-gold-medal-winning-ice-dancers-1.7267563

ETA #2: I really like Meryl's "Breathe deeply...Life is beautiful." Maybe this could be a future thread title?

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  2. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Thank you for starting the new thread on a positive note. :)

3. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia. Sounds like a plan! :lol:

4. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Transferred from dead thread:
    I was never talking about Zoueva's ability to control M/C, or her obligation to keep coaching them, now or ever. I was talking about her publicly saying they're as good as done before they've said so themselves which I find rude and ungrateful. But if you disagree, that's your right.

There are OGMs and then there are legends/repeat OGMs. There are skaters who are ready to quit and those who want to test their limits and artistic horizons as long as possible. To me DWTS clearly showed that D/W have a lot more to give on ice than we've yet seen. But it is completely up to them whether they'll do that in shows or competitiion. It's true that the practical answer is for them to start their next chapters in life -- but few people have the option to try to achieve legend or repeat OGM status, and I dont really see anyone who could stop them, as of now. So to me they have a big decision to make, if not this season then later.

5. rut999

rut999 New Member

6. southbymidwest

southbymidwest Member

Thanks for the heads up! I hope it will be available on the website afterwards, as I will be unable to access it at that point. I would bet beeeeg money that Maks will be brought up.

As to Jenna, she was also one of the DWTS troupe dancers (along with Witney, Artem, and darn, can't remember the other male dancer's name) that flew with the four finalist couples to do the GMA show the morning after the finale. She also was part of the gang that went to TAO for the victory party.

7. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I think it was Artem, Lindsay and Sasha?

8. GlenCoco

GlenCoco New Member

Jenna is meeting Meryl in Hawaii in 7 days.

9. Nadia2013

Nadia2013 Well-Known Member

New thread! :) I hope Meryl and Charlie continue to be active on social media and share photos from their upcoming vacation.

10. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

pray to whatever god you believe in that the Maks questions won't be too awkward. (But they will. You know they will.)

11. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

Yes, they will and I'll be very curious to see how Meryl responds to those questions now.

12. GlenCoco

GlenCoco New Member

I think I am missing something. What do you mean the Maks question?

13. Nadia2013

Are Meryl and Maks dating? Did they date during DWTS or will they ever consider a relationship? At least, most reporters will go for those questions. Wendy Williams chose to ask if they were "smushing".:eek:

14. dancer4life

dancer4life New Member

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Nadia2013

16. dancer4life

dancer4life New Member

This is like an in-person filmed interview right? Where does huff post film? Do M/C have to travel somewhere like NY or LA to film?
    Even though there will probably be awk questions, I'm glad we get to hear from M/C!!

17. Fialka88

Fialka88 Member

According to Wikipedia: "Programming is produced from AOL/Huffington Post studios in New York City." So yes, I assume they are travelling to NY.

18. rut999

rut999 New Member

It would be nice if when they ask about DWTS that they also give Meryl some props. I realize that she said this was Maks' win (and most of the press has been that, which I know is what she wanted for him) but it would be nice if she would get a bit more recognition for how great she was. Everyone has been praising Maks' choreography, but he wouldn't have been able to use that choreography with anyone else ever, but Meryl. I remember reading somewhere where one of the pros even stated that in one of their dances, that Meryl is the only celebrity they have ever had on the show that could have done it. I believe this applies to most of their dances.

And yes it will be great to see another M/C interview. You can never have too many of those. :)

19. Brook24

Brook24 Member

Can't wait to see the interview! Hopefully it's posted for later viewing as well.

I read the blog you are talking about and I want to say it was Anna T or Chelsie Hightower (leaning toward Chelsie) who made the comment about Meryl. I so agree, although the chemistry question is interesting, it's pretty obvious they have both decided to continue giving the standard answer and keep things private. I love how selfless Meryl had been about giving Maks this win. I mean honestly after an OGM what else can compare?! It speaks of her character to attribute this "gold medal" Mirrorball to Maks' talent. But I do wish media would give her more credit and direct more questions toward her. Yes Maks gave some of his best choreography this year, but it's because Meryl is so talented and inspired him. Although Kirstie was entertaining, he has never won because he has never had a partner like Meryl. I would gladly hand a list of questions to a journalist to ask MnM that didn't include asking about their relationship or asking Maks how it feels to win after 13 seasons.

20. Fialka88

Fialka88 Member

Well, you kind of have that opportunity - HuffPost Live is accepting text and video comments/questions for Meryl and Charlie (on the right side of the page): http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/se...cing-with-the-stars-/537f698afe3444d20b0001b6

21. rut999

rut999 New Member

I agree that Meryl, after having experienced it herself, wanted Maks to have what would be his equivalent of "a gold medal" moment. It made me love her even more. It would have just been nice that when they did interviews the press hadn't made it 90 percent about Maks and 10 percent about Meryl, even though she was fine with that. I would have really loved to have seen an interview that was Meryl all by herself. I realize that she did print interviews by herself, but a video would have been nice. I guess I am greedy, lol. I am looking forward to a Meryl/Charlie interview though. It would be nice if we get some intel on what all they have coming up.

22. southbymidwest

southbymidwest Member

According to a tweet from @jordanradioshow, Maks will be joining the hosts of The Weekly Show on Chicago 103.5 KISS FM @1035KISSFM at 7AM Central/8AM Eastern tomorrow (Saturday morning), and on Sunday morning at 7AM Central/8AM Eastern on @939MYFMCHICAGO. I guess I will have to set my alarm. I would imagine that the one on Sunday is a repeat of the Saturday interview but IDK.

I will bet beeeg money that they also will ask Maks the awkward Maks/Meryl dating questions, and, at the very minimum, "so, how's Meryl? Have you talked to Meryl since you got back to NY?" I will also predict that he will say something to the effect of, "Meryl is great, Meryl is brilliant, we have an amazing friendship but I will always prefer to keep my private life private." And then proceed to plug his Cantamesa Man jewelry appearances next week in the Chicago area. Betcha betcha betcha.

23. Brook24

Brook24 Member

You know the line perfectly, lol. Old Maks would have thrown in a little line or two to cause more stir and speculation, but I genuinely think he's matured a lot since the old DWTS days. If you do happen to catch the little radio bit I know I would love to hear a little about it if you have time to mention it!!

24. Brook24

Brook24 Member

You know the line perfectly, lol. Old Maks would have thrown in a little line or two to cause more stir and speculation, but I genuinely think he's matured a lot since the old DWTS days. If you do happen to catch the little radio bit I know I would love to hear a little about it if you have time to mention it!!

25. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Cantamessa man jewelry? Okay, my desire to see Maks and Meryl hook up just declined a little bit.

26. Marlie fan

Marlie fan New Member

I listened to Maks' interview this morning (it was streamed live). It was a broad-ranging interview, and he was never asked about his relationship with Meryl. He did however praise Meryl, saying she was brilliant in every way -- from presentation to dancing etc etc. He also said it was the most enjoyable 3 months he has ever spent on the show in all his time there. And he would do it again and again if he could dance with Meryl. But he also said that it's a crapshoot who the pros get, and that he doesn't get to request who he dances with.

He was asked about working with athletes such as Ali and Misty May Treanor, and he said some of them may have the physical skills, but they lacked the performance skills that others like Mazur and Richards had, and he seemed to imply the performance skills were more important.

Talked about his jewelry line a little. I didn't know this, but the profits from that go to Childhelp, the organization he got the award for in LA a few weeks ago. So this is pretty admirable. The profits from the trunk show next week are going to a local charitable organization in Chicago. I hope Maks has given Meryl a nice piece of jewelry from his line, even if it's only a token of appreciation and friendship. :)

It's an interesting interview. It should be online as a download later today.

27. mollymgr

28. southbymidwest

southbymidwest Member

Well, I actually did set the alarm to listen to the radio show I mentioned above, as I am not the perkiest of morning people, especially on the weekends. I believe that the interview will be available to listen to on the station at some point. So this is what I took away from the interview, given I have not yet had any coffee and the interview is already fading from my tired little brain. I will say, had this been a drinking game where you take a shot every time you hear key phrases or key words (Meryl, brilliant) we would have all been somewhat sober at the conclusion. (What can I say, my youngest recently graduated from college, so I have become more familiar with the phenomenon.)

The radio interviewer asked Maks if he knew that he had become a cultural phenomenon, Maks deflected and said no, talked about the hard work that goes into DWTS.

Interviewer asked how it was like to have partners like Erin Andrews, Hope Solo, Debbie Mazar... (really? we are going down memory lane and these partners were being discussed but not Meryl? Or Mel B for that matter?) Maks basically gave a shout out to all of his previous partners, and talked about how the dancers do not have any input as to who they will dance with. They are given the partner's name about a half hour before they meet them, and go on from there.

Interviewer asked if it was easier to have an athlete for a partner. Maks said that often athletes have the physical abilities, but don't really have the musical abilities. Those who are musicians or actors don't often have the physical requirements necessary, basically. Said that Meryl (shot!) put both together, and was phenomenal (no shot!), and that he enjoyed his 3 months with her. Somewhere in there Maks talked about how hard DWTS is physically, especially getting toward the end. Also talked about how difficult the rest of the stuff that goes into the dance performance is-coming up with choreography, the instructing/learning the dance, getting frustrated (and throwing mic packs) and then seeing those moments end up in the couple of minutes package when there were probably 40 hours worth of material filmed, and then viewers thinking you are a bad guy because of those couple of minutes that the producers decided on.

The interviewer asked Maks if he had any words of wisdom or hints for a guy who can't dance. Maks basically said that that was like wanting to learn how to swim without getting wet (it sounds far snarkier than it actually was). He encouraged guys to get some lessons if they really want to learn to dance, and how beneficial it was for him with the girls. Talked about how he did not like to dance when he was a kid (he wanted to be an Olympic swimmer), but it was the family business/career. Was difficult in high school in Brooklyn as a ballroom dancer, but the one advantage was that he was always surrounded by girls, and that gave him the ability to be very comfortable around girls/women.

The interviewer then started talking about his appearance in Chicago at Bloomingdales for Cantamesa jewelry. Maks noted that his earnings will go to Childhelp, and talked briefly about the charity. The interview wrapped up there.

I am sure that I forgot something or muddled up answers, ehhh. It was a slightly weird interview. I don't think the interviewer ever watched the show, and so his references were a little odd. I really was surprised that he did not ask more questions about this season, or the MBT win, or what it was like to work with Meryl... so I was left kind of meh. So we shall see how the Huffington Post interview with Meryl and Charlie will go on Tuesday.

ETA:Aha! Marlie fan beat me to posting the interview while I was writing it! Always good to see another review of it!

29. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Well the Meryl and Charlie interview will have Meryl and Charlie even if Maks isn't mentioned ;)

And mollymgr thanks for the link. Yeah it seems like their lift at a earlier stage in it's development. I'm going to watch the whole Gala now :)

30. mollymgr

There is a one handed variation of that move in Don't stop me now.

Someone posted on the Mao forum that Jeff is choreographing the men's number and D/W will do the ladies number for The Ice. Interesting.:D

ETA: Just realized it was already posted in The Ice thread. You always hear it first on FSU. :lol::eek: