Davis & White #29: Hashtag Happy

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by centerstage01, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Short, sweet, and to the point. :)

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

They really do make me happy.

Maybe after DWTS they can figure out some kind of new career that includes both skating and dancing. It would make for amazing shows.

3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Nice thread title. :)

4. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I like the title :)

5. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

6. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Love the new thread title. Hashtag Charlie approves.

7. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

Over 37K likes in just 5 hrs? Meryl is clearly killing it in fan votes, and I'm pretty sure she'll be safe this next week, in the comments the general sentiment is that Amy's being over-scored b/c of Derek and that it's another pro's, Maks, turn to win.

8. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Member

the classroom champion chat videos are up on meryl-charlie. I didn't watch all the way through, but I thought Meryl especially looked exhausted. Kudos to them for putting on a happy face for the kids.

9. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Awesome title!

For the next one though, how about Davis & White #30: Skillz, Spice, n' Erthang Nice

i got the erthang part from meryl..*shot*

10. caitie

caitie Member

11. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Member

The jive is looking great, from what I can see! Looks like they'll have a lot of content :)

12. Brook24

Brook24 Member

Bringing over because I'm a complete goober and was on the other thread still

Looking around at the "hate board" and it might actually be better for Charlie to stay in the finals (if it were him, Meryl, Amy). All of them plan to transfer their Charlie votes to Amy. Hopefully all other normal, nonhateful people think about sending their votes over to Meryl. I think Charlie would fully support and promote his fans to promote Meryl, which could help. And lay tv viewers would probably change to Meryl. This goes for the same if Meryl leaves. But I just have this feeling it may be Charlie

One of Meryl's pics on DWTS facebook has 41,000 likes within 5 hours...Charlie's usually get 25,000ish. From week 8 pics: Charlie is in last place with 2,000 likes versus first place Meryl with 6,500 (followed by Amy, a little less than 2,000 away). I'm so glad everyone banded around Meryl after Monday and voted, but it MAY have cost Charlie. Again, he could be safe..but no one knows yet. Maybe Monday night drama was done to make the M&C fan base choose a side. I'm thinking couples in "jeopardy": James, Meryl, and Charlie.. If its either Charlie or Meryl leaving you better believe the show will put them in the bottom 2 against each other. Amy will be called safe first of course. If James wins this thing I may tear out my eyes. Not sure why so many are saying James may leave. He's always number 1 or 2 in likes, retweets, anything (passed up Meryl's abc insta pic already). Hoping the teeny boppers aren't voting that hard--Mondays are school nights anyway :lol: I think the only person that like James more than Peta is James himself lol

13. dancer4life

dancer4life New Member

I mean, the people on that website are very opinionated against Maks and thus by extension Meryl, but remember that they are a very small contingency of the voting population. I'll admit they have good intel though, whoever their sources are. I think I remember someone saying that there probably can't be more than about 200 people a day maybe visiting that site, and way less than that number comprise the group of very outspoken commentators. I've read on Facebook comments (way less biased) that even though some fans are big supporters of Derek, they're supporting Meryl this season, so that's a good sign.

You know, I really think that there is a reason for everything and reality TV, so that begs the question of why did BOTH Meryl and Charlie go on DWTS if they weren't going to have some finale showdown between them and "pit the long time partners against each other in the quest for the mirrorball trophy"? They haven't really overused that storyline this season, probably because Charlie and Meryl just refuse to be anything but the best of friends! :) but you gotta admit, that would make for some great reality TV drama. I'm still hoping for a 1-2 Meryl and Charlie finale then Amy in 3rd.

14. Brook24

Brook24 Member

I would LOVE a Meryl and Charlie head-to-head. ABC probably thinks/would love it to get dramatic and nasty, but luckily C&M are literally some of the kindest, most down to earth people. I know they don't care who wins, because like everything else, they share this journey together. For me, I want Meryl to win. Watching them ice dance, I always thought she was the quiet, poised leader. I have loved seeing her as a funny, goofy, flirty dancer. That girl has some SERIOUS acting skills--the way she can emote in every.single.dance. Whether this was TBTP edit and packaging, I've seen so much growth out of her (as opposed to Charlie who they don't show as much :( --come on ABC show our blonde American boy!!!) It makes me sad that Sochi was most likely their last Olympics but they went out with a bang, doing SOI, and kicking butt on DWTS. I hope after everything is over, they continue to send fun updates on twitter. They have a lot of fans invested in them now :D

**Edit: I think the producers need to be VERY careful if they let Derek/Amy win.. A pro winning for a 3 time in a row not only looks bad to the audience but may also begin to upset other pros

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  15. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I'm pleased that Meryl herself uses the word pleased. It makes me feel like our Queen Meryl image is accurate.

16. dancer4life

dancer4life New Member

The thing about Derek and Amy is that Amy represents a new kind of winner, if you will. She's inspirational and will be the first winner to have been majorly physically impaired, I believe. Charlie and Sharna also bring something new, because I don't think a male figure skater has ever won (Evan came in 2nd though), and Sharna has never won (although she's a new pro, so the 'she's gotta pay her dues' argument is probably still valid). Meryl and Maks also represent a new kind of winner - it will be Maks' first mirrorball win (Maks has been a pro for 14 seasons, so he's past all of the 'paying his dues' and many fans of Maks have been saying 'it's time') while Derek has won like 5 times? And this would be his 3rd in a row? Yeah. I wouldn't blame any of the pros for being a little frustrated that Derek is far and away the pro who has won the most times if he wins again tbh (although I love Derek! He is an amazing choreographer and dancer, but I think it is a little unfair to the pros on this show, especially a pro who has dedicated years to the show, who have never won whereas other pros have won multiple times)

But I agree. With either Meryl or Charlie winning, there's none of that 'but that pro has won so many times already' backlash. The real question is though, do the producers care about this?

17. olympiax

olympiax Member

18. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

That was cute! Are they dressed in the same colors again? Last time Black/White this time Black/Green? Compared to week 1, Maks looks thinner to me, and it's especially noticeable in this vid.

19. alexwoods

alexwoods New Member

I agree, obviously Maks was never out of shape. But I think Meryl might really be putting him through a workout since he has to really go for it when working with her, so he is prob losing some weight. You can kind of see it in his face.

20. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

From what I saw on the Today show, Charlie is pretty good but, he isn't nearly as good as Val. Didn't Charlie say that he hadn't played in three years?

21. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Didn't know Val played, too! Yes, Charlie is definitely out of practice. When I saw him at the SOI meet/greet in 2010 I asked him what his favorite piece was (and at that time he said he hadn't played in like a year. . . so it could be many years since he's practiced regularly), and he said "La Folia." It's a theme and variations, and while there are a number of pretty simple parts, it gets pretty hairy (one fast bit starts around 1:45, and there are chords later--see around 5:40--and other fast bits), so Charlie must have had some fairly serious chops at some point.

22. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Not sure that was the best shot for DWTS to use. It really shows that Meryl's foot is turned in at the ankle. Other than that it is a lovely photo. Just wish they had considered that they might be proving Abby, the witch right. But, it got likes, so maybe most people don't notice. As I've said, numerous times, I have always had a problem with Meryl's feet. However, I think she has blossomed on so many levels, in DWTS, that I am really impressed with her.

What is this web site people keep talking about, that is so negative? I don't really participate on message boards (other than here), Twitter, etc.

23. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I think that going into this season, TPTB were in desperation mode about the decline in ratings to the point that when it came to casting the celebrities, they did so with the deliberate intention of throwing as many hype-able potential story lines as possible against the wall in hopes that one (or more) would stick -- it was a veritable goldmine in that regard:

- "Pitting the OGM-winning Team Against One Another" (Meryl and Charlie),
    - "Double-Amputee that is an Inspiration" (Amy),
    - "Battle of the Cheesy 90s Family Sitcom Stars" (Danica and Candace),
    - "Battle of the (supposedly) Hot Tween/Teen Heartthrobs" (James and Cody - though IMO both are generic-looking, milquetoast, mediocre singers and about as bland as it gets),
    - "Battle of the Geriatric All-Stars" (Billy Dee Williams and Diana),
    - "Lando Calrissian Overcomes Double-Hip Replacement" (Billy Dee Williams),
    - "Bad Boy Hockey Player vs. Obnoxious Reality TV "Star" For Character Redemption" (Sean and NoNo Leakes),
    - "Bill Engval 2.0 aka Funny Middle-Aged Guy Can Dance!" (Drew Carey)

In addition, they also put some eggs in the "Stars" basket of storyline potential with "Derek the DWTS Deity with the Shitty Facial Hair goes for MBT #5," "The Dueling Chmerkovskiy Brothers," and, of course, "The Return of Maks!"

Regarding the "Meryl and Maks: Are They or Aren't They?" showmance dealio....

Even though Meryl has always kept her relationship with Fedor out of the eye of the media and the public, I do think it's a bit odd that he hasn't been seen in the audience or anywhere in L.A., nor has there been any visible support for his long-time girlfriend that any of us are aware of.

Also, call me kooky, but I don't know anyone who would go along with purporting a ruse in which he or she does not exist in their partner's life and, in turn, having someone else step in to assume that role (obviously as applies here, Fedor's existence being white-washed from Meryl's life and replaced by Maks).

I also find it weird that Marina, who has always been incredibly supportive of Meryl and Charlie, hasn't said one word about their being on DWTS and, in particular, Meryl's incredible technical awesomeness, her acting ability, and especially how she has seemingly exploded with emotion, expressiveness, sexiness without being sleazy, and raw passion when performing. Her being absolutely mum on the subject, along with Fedor's silence and disappearance, makes me wonder if in fact those two have split and Zoueva is siding with her son. There's also a part of me that wonders if her silence about DWTS stems from ego -- it's now glaringly obvious that there was a shit-ton of artistic potential in both Meryl and Charlie that was never tapped into, and I get the distinct feeling that Marina is not the type of person to ever admit making a mistake or screwing up.

24. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

It's PureDWTS.com, which is run by and polluted with Derek Hough fanbots. They 1) do not allow any comments that are critical of their Golden Boy, 2) despise Maks and, in turn, whoever he is partnered with, and 3) are some of the most delusional hypocrites ever seen on a fan-based board.

25. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

The Meryl Party? So Abby is insinuating that Meryl is going to win just because she's popular, not because she's a good dancer? How insulting.

LOL

LOL

I agree! Tanith was kept on the DL through the Olympics, but now she is seen constantly. Where is Fedor? There hasn't been one word said about him even though Tanith is mentioned a lot. Even if the star doesn't want to talk about it, whoever they're dating always "gets out" and it hasn't this time with Meryl. Makes me think he's no longer "around."

26. Muffin

Muffin New Member

Maybe Marina just has no reason to give interviews right now? It's not necessarily intentional silence.

Some anon on tumblr said they know from a reliable source that Meryl broke up with her boyfriend right around the time DWTS started and that it was a "sad breakup". That's just FYI, I'm not saying anyone should believe anything coming from an anon on tumblr.

I would find it shocking at this point to learn that for the past 2 1/2 months, Meryl has secretly been spending the 5 free minutes she has per week with a boyfriend that nobody knows about. And that said boyfriend is ok with how she behaves around Maks. And that all the time and affection Maks & Meryl lavish on one another is just platonic buddy behavior. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, people.

Yes, dance partners are physically affectionate, but what Maks & Meryl do is way beyond. It was funny on Afterbuzz that Suri was talking about how Maks & Meryl are so affectionate and Shirley Ballas laughed and said, "Yes, very."

And I wouldn't expect anyone on the show who considers themselves a friend to out the two of them to the media. M&M clearly have not seen fit to make a definitive announcement, so I doubt Sharna or Tom Bergeron would take it upon themselves to do so.

It was very awkward the way she said it, so I can't say exactly what she meant, but I think she meant "party" as in "third party" or "guilty party" and it came out "the Meryl party". It was like saying "that Meryl person" as if she couldn't quite remember her name and didn't consider her important.

27. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Yes.

28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anything unseemly in Meryl and Maks' behaviour.
    If they have a "relationship", that is their business; and should remain so.

Remember, people outside FSU read these boards.

29. Muffin

Muffin New Member

What would be "unseemly" about them having a relationship? They're young, they're single, they clearly like each other. Nobody is accusing them of a crime here!

30. pinkmary

pinkmary Member

I mean, why don't believe any of them when they're just sticking to friendship? Meryl and Maks said they have this friendship, Charlie and Sharna said something similar about them, and that after buzz host denied the dating question, even Tom, the DWTS host, denied it either. What makes you tend to believe in something so many people denied? That being said, Meryl and Maks are friends, not even a showmance. PETA and James could be showmance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.