Davis & White #26: Dancing with the Stars on Ice!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jenniwren12, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

Well with the movie coming out soon, she can play Maleficent :lol:

"I am not afraid" :EVILLE:

2. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I want her to dance to Hellfire from Hunchback of Notre Dame.

3. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

I think I like Meryl with Val more than Meryl with Maks.:eek::slinkaway

4. Katha

Katha New Member

I thought Meryl was amazing! :) And Charlie was great, too. I also don't think Peta was necessarily sabotaging him (I thought all the pros did their best for their switch-partners, naturally not everyone clicked), sometimes you get away with breaking all kinds of rules for no discernable reason on DWTS, sometimes they gang up on you. Though I did read (unverified, of course) rumours somewhere that Charlie isn't getting that many votes as well, I don't know if I believe it, but that would be concerning. D/W are up against loads of people with substantial fan bases now.

Meryl's been great with both Val and Maks. :) It's awesome that she can create rapport with two different dancers. I like her more with Maks because I find the way they're actually an obvious mismatch but make it work anyway both impressive and amusing. ;) But she would have been awesome with Val, too. Charlie's not such a natural at creating chemistry like that, he tried his best this week with Peta and it was nice. But it obviously takes more effort for him to open up and perform with a partner. Perhaps it's a combination of Meryl being more expressive and both Maks and Val being better at creating the right kind of mood, chemistry, character in their dances to suit Meryl? Both Sharna and Peta have given it a try with Charlie and nothing so far has completely worked IMO.

(Though I did kind of like Danica better with Maks? Yes, there could have been more content, though it was decent enough, but IMO this is the first week she was really performing and looking comfortable.)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  5. Perky Shae Lynn

Perky Shae Lynn Well-Known Member

There were great together, but the chemistry was completely different. I like the sexy seductive Meryl from last week!

6. Marlie fan

Marlie fan New Member

I just threw most of my votes to Charlie because after tonight's dance, I don't think Meryl will need much voting help getting through to the end. Charlie, otoh, might need it because of the large fan bases of some of the others, and he just hasn't stood out the way Meryl has.

I know Drew Carey can't dance much, but I thoroughly enjoyed his dance just for its entertainment value. :lol:

7. Laura4

Laura4 Active Member

The thought of Val braiding my hair.....where's the faint emotie when you need it?

8. CuriousCCat

CuriousCCat New Member

Obviously everyone should vote for whoever they want, but I just want to point out that it can be dangerous to assume that because Meryl it top of the leader board she doesn't need votes. The points aren't really that far apart and they workout to some very slim percentage margins that can definitely be overcome by voting. There have been times when the top scorer, or close to the top, has gone home like Sabrina Bryant on both her original season and all stars.

I've seen more than a few messages on DWTS boards that while the admit Meryl is an amazing dancer they just don't like her and think she's cold. On the other hand,Charlie is thought to be super cute and adorable. He's the type who the voting audience has generally voted for in the past not some like Meryl.

9. missysays

missysays Active Member

Yup, I'd be down with Val braiding my hair for me. :lol:

10. pinkmary

pinkmary Member

My thoughts exactly!

11. Marlie fan

Marlie fan New Member

Except, that doesn't appear to be the case. For one thing, Meryl has always had more twitter followers than Charlie. And in terms of DWTS, Meryl-Val were reportedly the couple getting the most votes out of any other switchup pairing. Even if you believe the kooky conspiracy theorists, Meryl-Val still drew among the highest vote totals. Then there is the rumor, which someone posted earlier in this thread, that Charlie isn't getting a lot of votes from week to week. Finally, I don't think this is about how ice skating fans perceive Meryl vs. Charlie. There are enough DWTS fans who aren't ice skating fans who I think will vote for Meryl on merit alone. I think those fans make up the majority of DWTS viewers too. Prior to this season of DWTS, they may not have been Marlie fans at all.

ETA: Also, don't forget that many DWTS fans vote according to which pro they like. Sharna has hardly any twitter followers, whereas Maks has hundreds of thousands of them. So Meryl has a built-in vote advantage right there.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  12. Marlie fan

Marlie fan New Member

13. missysays

missysays Active Member

In case Meryl and Charlie do compete another year, I wish Val would work with them on movement for one of their programs. He's a g as a teacher.

:hat1::smokin:

14. brina

brina Well-Known Member

Can Meryl just stay with Val? :shuffle:

15. caitie

caitie Member

I threw all of my votes this week to Charlie just in case. I feel like he needs them more! Meryl has an insanely high score and all of Maks' fans in her corner, she'll be fine!

Anyway, I though they were both great. Val did seem like he was being a taskmaster in the package, but obviously it paid off because Meryl looked great tonight. Maybe Charlie's dance wasn't rumbaish enough, but the 7 pissed me off. IA with the people saying it isn't sabotage. People get away with non-versions of the dances all the time, with lifts and breaking hold. Peta must not have realized that Charlie is being held to a higher standard by the judges or something and that she had to choreograph a proper rumba and not break any rules, just like Sharna had to realize the judges wouldn't turn a blind eye to breaking hold in their tango.

16. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Ugh...I finally heard Julianne for myself. That was so unelievably rude. For whatever reason, probably due to his history on he show, Maks is being a lot more chill. He is with Meryl, so it's completely uncalled for to be that nasty and what was that Mark dig all about. I mean, who cares that they grew up together and were partners for years, let's just insult him on national tv.

If her goal was to gain Maks more fans, congratulations. I think even people who don't like him were thinking WTF.

I think Maks will come back angry and perfectiony for the next dance...unless Meryl calms him out of it.

17. Katha

Katha New Member

Oh, and yes, it's scripted fluff entertainment and not srs bsns, but Julianne's potshot against Maks left a bad taste in my mouth because it seemed like she was doing her brother's dirty work for him. Meryl's been topping the leaderboard for 3 weeks straight now, she's obviously a force to be reckoned with, what better way to try to get at her than tainting her by association since obviously you can't critize her and her brilliant dancing directly. I also thought her dig at Mark in one of the earlier seasons was really unnecessary, and I don't even like Mark's dancing all that much.

18. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Charlie, Meryl got more of my votes cause she's better (IMO) and she's who I look forward to seeing each week.

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

It was a long two hours to make me wait for my Meryl fix. When she began to dance, I had to move forward to the edge of my sofa to watch her. I needed to be in uber-attentive mode to catch everything. I am so glad that youtube exists so that I can watch this dance over and over and over again.

P.S. It was so nice to have a place to go where everybody else was saying what I was feeling about Meryl's brilliance. :40beers: :D

CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  20. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I now wish Val can do the choreography for Meryl and his brother. Meryl has a lot more chemistry with Maks. But Val made her work more and it shows. Ok. I don't know what I want but at one point, I wish they can dance all 3 together in something sexy :)

21. olympiax

olympiax Member

Don't they usually have a trio dance in week 7/8/9 (I can't remember) where the pro picks another pro or member of the troupe to dance with them?

This is Amber, Derek and Mark from last season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uggo56hcwf0

22. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Mr. Elle came up just as she was on (poor guy hides in the basement when DWTS is on, LOL) and found me with my mouth hanging open as I was watching her dance.

23. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

24. Johnny_Fever

I love that Erin let Derek dip her at the beginning of that video. Brooke never would have allowed that.

25. LovelyMeteora

LovelyMeteora Member

I'm hopeful that you're right, but I know people have been eliminated on this show from the middle of the pack before. If the people below them get massive vote numbers, it doesn't matter as much that they scored higher. Going forward, I think Charlie in general might be more vulnerable than Meryl. The judges clearly love her, and are willing to be a bit harder on Charlie. I know people originally thought they were locks for the finale, but there are a lot of contenders this season, in my opinion. Amy has the support of Derek Nation, James has been getting consistently high scores and probably commands something of a tween vote, and Cody has his army of twitter followers. Even the lower-scoring stars, like Candace and NeNe, likely have a strong amount of fan support. I would hate to assume Charlie is safe and then regret it later.

I cringed a bit watching Charlie receive his scores. He's always so carefully composed during scoring, but he reacted a bit to the 7.

Meryl was amazing. Practically superhuman. She looked like she could be a pro. I know people were unhappy about Julianne's unnecessary and silly comment to Maks, but she was a friend on the panel to both Meryl and Charlie last night.

Yes! And, whether purposeful or not, lots of people are intrigued by the Meryl and Maks partnership, which probably also gives them votes.

26. Johnny_Fever

If Charlie's dance wasn't really a rhumba, that is Peta's fault.

After watching several videos this morning, my one takeaway from this whole partner switch business is: The pros need to push their partners to their full potential. Some of them are not doing that.

27. Johnny_Fever

Meryl & Val may have held back on the chemistry too, so it wouldn't seem too........incestuous??

28. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Meryl saying the word Chmerkovskiy was just the best thing ever. Seeing her knee Val in the nuts was fairly entertaining as well. He's a tough little dude.

29. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Agreed. Maks really needs to step it up -- clearly, Meryl can handle it.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Nadia2013

Nadia2013 Well-Known Member

I really liked Charlie's dance. I can't believe they gave him a 7 because of the choreography that Peta gave him. If he was penalized, NeNe should be too. I mean, was that really a jazz dance?

I have nothing against Peta. It was a beautiful dance. I don't think she expected low scores either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.