Davis & White #26: Dancing with the Stars on Ice!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jenniwren12, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skatfan

skatfan Well-Known Member

Gosh, they're losing their spark with this schedule. Hope they're finding some nap times.

2. Laura4

Laura4 Active Member

Meryl tweeted that they're watching Candace Cameron Bure on Full House on the SOI bus to Albany. :)

3. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

:D Now that everything's said and done, I'm sure Meryl and Charlie can have a good laugh at this! I remember a commentator saying from that point on, Charlie decided that he wasn't going to mess up any more. Good decision, Charlie!

4. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

I checked out the time signature for Feel So Close, and it's written in 4/4 time, and ballroom tango is danced to music written in either 2/4 or 4/4 time signature. And the lyrics to that song could definitely describe how Maks feels about dancing with & being around Meryl, hopefully they make it sexy :watch:

So more than likely this will be the song they're tangoing to. :biggrinbo

5. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

This is such fantastic news! It's a great party song for a tango theme. With their chemistry they'll rock it.

6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

There are only two that matter, WDSF and WDF. And national federations. Derek's title is legit. Of the wonder triplets, he's the best and most likely to get people sort of thinking he wasted the talent, though I know few dancers who begrudge him grabbing for the long green while the grabbing is good. Val was quite accomplished in the open Amateur but quit both to do the show and because around the time he stopped there was a LOT of backbiting and nastiness between WDSF (the IOC member that is bound and determined to get dancesport in the Olympics) and WDF, leading to a lot of federations banning and sanctioning couples who danced the "wrong" events. Val was on the "Freedom to Dance" side.

The one with the most impressive titles is Karina. She's a world Latin champion with two partners, Slavik and...Louis van Amstel. The sometimes-appearing pro who beats her is...Corky Ballas. He and Shirley were multiple-time champions. The show seems to mostly attract Latin dancers.

Tony is a multiple World Rhythm champion, which means a LOT to people like me who compete in the Rhythm division (for some of what Rhythm is now, look up Emmanuel Pierre-Antione and Liana on youtube). Not as much to the world as American-style is not big outside the US, though it's growing. We actually have a figure in my Silver Rhythm routine my pro jokingly calls the "Tony step" because Tony taught it to him while coaching at our studio (we suspect it's a Fred Astaire thing.) Likewise Jonathan was American Smooth champion while also doing the show.

Most of the "older" pros (ie Maks, Tony, Cheryl, Anna, etc.) plus Val and to some degree the wonder triplets get a fair amount of respect. Even if some people don't like them (my old pro finds Corky a bit much and enjoyed being on the floor the day Corky learned Pro-Am is not a cakewalk) as people they generally respect them as dancers, also as judges (I've been judged by Maks twice, I've seen Tony on a panel while I was spectating in New York) coaches and teachers. The newer/less accomplished pros....with someone like Chelsie it's like...."That's what you're going to do?" The reaction to Lacey was "What does she know about ballroom?" (Answer: Not a lot, but she knows how to be on TV.) The take on a lot of the newbies is they're not really hired as accomplished competitive dancers but for TV skills. They just haven't done much that really counts.

Also note dancesportinfo is only useful for international results and not very helpful for American-style dancers. It also only goes back so far and isn't always up to date (which given some people change partners like they change underwear is understandable.) It's kind of hard to follow, too, if you don't know what you're reading.

Doggygirl and (deleted member) like this.
  7. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

Thanks sooo much for taking the time to explain this for everyone else. Corky and Shirley Ballas are legends in Int'l Latin & have trained practically all the DWTS pros ;), only to be runner up to Donnie Burns & Gaynor Fairweather multiple times in competition; not to mention Corky worked with the Shibs on their Michael Buble short dance for this past season. Have to agree out of all the pros Karina is the one w/ the most impressive titles, and her partnership w/ Slavik being her most successful one. Tony is pretty much a legend in the Rhythm division and won the world title for that 3x's with 2 different partners one being Elena Grinenko (who used to compete w/ Maks in Int'l Latin and who worked with Meryl & Charlie on their Batucadas/Life is a Carnival/On The Floor short dance for the 2011-2012 season). Also Tony, Karina & her partner Slavik trained Jennifer Lopez and Richard Gere for their movie Shall We Dance and had cameos in the film as well. Love how you call Derek/Mark/Julianne the wonder-triplets :lol:, they were also called the Ballas-Hough brat pack too, and I guess also competing back in the Youth division Mark and Val had seriously rivalry going on. In light of Julianne's recent judging comments to his brother, Val said he said he was supposed to partner up w/ Julianne to compete in the Amateur division but that he flaked out on her and she instead went to do DWTS, so go figure :p.

Have to agree with you about Lacey when she was hired onto the show, her training & competing was in Latin & Swing, and had no competition experience in ballroom. Unlike Lacey, at least Chelsie was trained in & competed in both latin & ballroom, and she was a USA World's finalist and competed for the US team at the British Open in Blackpool. But you're right in that the newbies (like Lindsey, Witney...etc) are hired for their tv skills and not based on their competitive ballroom record.

True, but dancesportinfo site is still a good place to start with looking up info at, it most likely does need to be updated more.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  8. cheriepopo

cheriepopo New Member

9. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

Thanks for the background info, danceronice!

10. Polly Anna C

Polly Anna C New Member

Not only are they looking tired, I think Charlie is looking really thin. I don't know how they're doing everything, and still going with a smile on their face!

11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Ha! I noticed that, too. Someone's gotta carry on the tradition now that Cody's been eliminated, right?

12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

He's said in a few interviews they don't have time to eat. Apparently, he's being literal.

13. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

I guess you don't have to be among the best to have entertainment value. Average viewers like me can't necessarily judge technical ability in ballroom anyway. I've got a hard enough time determining who the best ice dancers are. Freestyle is easy to judge. Just count the triple jumps.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  14. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

This is a lovely Tumblr post:

http://thisspecialwerewolfgirl.tumb...hese-two-are-absolute-gems-the-meet-and-greet

No Sunday show this week, and then they have almost a week between shows, so hopefully they can slow their pace down a little. It sounds like yesterday they danced all morning, took a picture at a cafe in Manchester so hopefully ate something, show that night, meet and greet after the show and then had a three and a half hour drive to Albany.

mollymgr and (deleted member) like this.
  15. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Active Member

Seeing them in Portland tomorrow night! :cheer2:

16. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

So Meryl and Val danced an AT to "Too Close" and Meryl and Maks are dancing a tango to "Feel So Close" ? I'm starting to see a pattern? :lol: Meryl is just very close with her partners!

17. missysays

missysays Active Member

I think that season was an amazing season in terms of D/W stepping up their choreography and having programs that really moved them up to go for a podium position. Cup of Russia was a necessary part of that growth:D. I think that was the season when I loved both their OD and FD equally-- I mean "Happy Feet" and "Samson and Delilah." What a tremendous set of programs.

18. missysays

missysays Active Member

This is a fantastic post! Thank you so much.

19. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

There's a very touching write-up about M&C's Olympic medal ceremony and how Cheryl had to miss it in this month's SKATING magazine. It's on page 4.

Also a great recap of the Olympic FD on page 10.

20. missysays

missysays Active Member

Val is my favorite too! That's why I'm so glad that Meryl got to dance with him at least once. Yes, Maks and Meryl have been amazing together but Val brings that little extra something in his instruction and his choreography that makes the dances he creates on the show just that much better and more engaging. I'm so glad too that he got a chance to dance with Meryl and really dance full out. As cute as Danica is, he hasn't really had a chance to do that in awhile. He has to back down a little with Danica whereas with Meryl he just really let it out- both emotionally and technically. Wish we could have seen one more dance with them.

21. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Thank you! What a good read. Loved this:

lmarie086 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Marlie fan

Marlie fan New Member

Yesterday I was explaining why I believed Maks did not demand or request Meryl specifically as a partner before the start of the show, and that he instead was genuinely shocked when he learned he had her. In doing so, I said Maks is a bad actor, he has no filter, and “wears his heart on his sleeve.” Well what do you know! The lyrics to “Feel So Close” are:

I feel so close to you right now
    It's a force field
    I wear my heart upon my sleeve, like a big deal
    Your love pours down on me, surrounds me like a waterfall
    And there's no stopping us right now
    I feel so close to you right now​

So what I think is the producers of course know Maks wears his heart on his sleeve, and so this song was chosen for them because it fits him so well. They also see like many of us the good chemistry between Meryl and Maks, so the other words fit very well also.

I can’t help but think they purposely gave Meryl/Maks a dog of a song last week. Why? I have no idea. Maybe they just wanted to see how they could tackle something difficult and weird since Meryl was already doing so well – and she and Maks did a pretty good job of it, all things considered. And NeNe’s assigned song, of course, was also very purposeful as it fits her persona so well. These producers can be very devious!

23. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link! That was a lovely read, you can just feel how pride people have taken in Meryl and Charlie. I liked how, I think on page 12, it was mentioned that they aren't always perfect. Because they aren't, but they are always solid and that counts for a lot. It's been wonderful to watch them progress so far in these last four years.

I was :eek: that the first Scheherezade lift wasn't working so close to the start of the Olympics so I can't imagine how they were feeling! And what's more, I can't believe that Meryl even admitted it :lol:

24. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I know, that shocked me!! I'm so glad I didn't know that before the Olympics or it might've truly put my heart over the edge. :lol:

25. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Which I haven't got the slightest problem with as between Shirley and Gaynor I'm six-of-one, half a dozen of another, and I vastly prefer Donnie to Corky. There is a video on youtube somewhere of Shirley and Corky being interviewed way back in the day during a competition and there is a reference to their son whom the interviewer refers to as "Corky Jr." Poor Mark. (Though he does look UNCANNILY like his father.) Of course the whole thing of how Shirley wound up dancing with Corky is a tabloid story, too (let's just say it's no surprise they're divorced now.)

"Wonder triplets" was what some DWTS fans dubbed them in the first couple seasons they were on when it was obvious they were the favored new children. Julianne got in, got wins, got out, which is probably smart. Mark just can't seem to compete with Derek, yet again....

I'm using "ballroom" collectively, not in the sense of Standard. Lacey gets no respect as a Latin dancer, either as she's never done anything of note there. She's a big thing from the Swing world, but WCS does not generally get tons of respect carryover.

I think Derek and to a lesser extent Chelsie were viewed as kind of wasting a LOT of potential. Val not so much because he DID stick it out, and he probably would have been politically punished on the Am side if he'd stayed at the time he quit. Getting yourself in trouble by opening your mouth off the floor seems to be a family trait, though in Val's case I agreed with him-the nastiness and sanctions from WDSF were petty and silly considering it'll likely be a cold day in Hell before dancesport makes the Olympics. (And supposedly Maks has mellowed since he started judging himself and realized this is not nearly as easy as it looks! The first time I had him on a panel was the first major comp he judged, Yankee Classic, and you could tell he was kind of nervous AND auto-marking some things-ie, decided "Okay, that's 1, that's 2, that's 3," and marked a multidance the same way all the way through.)

26. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Ooo girl, you scared me! I thought I had tons of time. I went to the website and now I see you mean Portland, ME...not Portland, OR.

27. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

28. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Their schedule sucks! I'm glad they're enjoying these opportunities, but the schedule is horrible. So glad for their sakes that there is no show on Sunday this weekend! And I hope that they get to spend time with their families during the Detroit stop.

29. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

That interviewer kept trying to get them to go off script--not going to happen, buddy. :lol: I would fall out of my chair with laughter if one of them would trash talk the other, but yeah, will be waiting a looooooong time.

Really close to a new thread--I vote for #27: Phoning it in for Davis and White.

30. Nadia2013

Nadia2013 Well-Known Member

Wow, their schedule is horrible. I hope they have a wonderful extended vacation after SOI and DWTS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.