Davis & White #26: Dancing with the Stars on Ice!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jenniwren12, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

No court has ever answered if reality type shows are actually game shows though.
    Many claim to be "for entertainment only".

Here's a good article (addressing Survivor) http://public.getlegal.com/articles/survivor-reality-show
    It seems like Dancing with the Stars is unlikely to fit into the quiz show rules, though perhaps it is a contest of skill. However, since the judges don't actually seem to score on skill, and the outside voters certainly do not- I'm thinking it is not considered a game show.

2. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

I have trouble coming to terms with the fact that the frequent glitches in voting make for a compliant process for their pliable rules. The jails are going to be full at this rate. I wouldn't want my taxpayer money going towards policing this sham.:rofl:

3. Marlie fan

Marlie fan New Member

Yes, that is a very cynical view. I believe it's rigged but only up to a point ...

It's rigged in the sense they determine which star dances with a certain pro, and I think most definitely Derek has generally gotten the most talented stars. This year, Maks got the most talented star -- and it's only fitting considering he hasn't had the same benefit of the pairings that Derek has had in the past. (I think part of that has to do with Maks height/size; he usually gets paired with the taller and heavier stars who are the least athletically inclined.)

It's rigged in the sense that the producers may prematurely get rid of some pairings or stars who are either not pulling in a lot of fan votes or who have personally crossed swords with them. I think there is truth to Sean Avery getting the boot because he cursed out one producer on the phone.

It's rigged in the sense that they may favor some couples by giving them more desirable music and dance choices each week. (But if that is so, then they certainly put Maks/Meryl at a disadvantage with that awful Disney song this week. )

And it may even be rigged in the sense that they might tip the balance between two evenly deserving finalists at the end.

But I do not for a minute believe they pick the winner at the beginning of the season. I think they watch how things evolve with the viewer votes, the judge's scores, and the actual quality of the dance performances and then -- at most -- help influence the direction of things or, at the very end, tip the balance in one direction toward one finalist.

But the important point is that I think most who are in the finals are all deserving for one reason or another -- even if it is primarily because they get a ton of viewer votes. If Amy wins it will be mainly due to a huge swell of sympathy voting. It won't be because the producers ordained it or because of the judges who I think will limit her scores relative to the best remaining dancers the rest of the way. If Meryl or Charlie or James win, it will be because of the judges scoring + fan votes.

James, btw, I think is a very serious contender for the MBT. He's very good looking and has a ton of twitter followers, he can dance pretty well, and he's got CA and Bruno slobbering over him every week. I don't think Amy will win as she is too limited in what she can do. How is she going to do a jive or quick step? They've been easy on her in terms of dance selections and scoring up to now, but I think her limitations will be even more harshly exposed in the coming weeks.

So, yes, the show is somewhat rigged, but only up to a point.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  4. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Yea, you definitely won't see Derek with someone like Cloris Leachman or Diana Nyad.

5. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that's a ratings thing. The bottom line is he's the favorite pro. DWTS would be shooting themselves in the foot if they gave him poor dancers. In fact I think part of the decline of the show is that many of the fave pros, particularly the women, have moved on. The switch conversation would have been completely different if Julianne, Edyta, Chelsie, and Lacey were still on the show. Derek is also a petite guy, so the larger women don't make sense either.

I may not be a fan of Derek's fans and the way they think the sun shines out of his rear end, but I understand the decisions DWTS has made and I don't blame Derek for taking advantage. His exposure on this show has opened so many doors for him.

6. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Those ARE great photos! Figure skating is difficult to photograph well, and I bet this person has a great camera, a great eye, and knows Photoshop well too! Well done!

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Definitely. They're almost all ridiculous, and I refuse to believe that anything is done on this show without maximum ratings/drama/storyline interest in mind.

8. Marlie fan

Marlie fan New Member

I agree with everything you said. But it doesn't change the fact that Derek has had an advantage over the other pros in terms of partnering. This is a fact which the Derek fangirls refuse to admit to. They are in denial and its hysterical to see them attempt to twist logic in order to believe in another reality.

If I were the producers, I would probably do the same thing for Derek as ratings = money = survivability as a show. However, I think they underestimated Maks' appeal, and while he was gone, ratings dropped. Like it or not, the drama he brought to the show in the past made a lot of people watch. Which is probably why they asked him to come back as either a contestant or judge this season. But I don't for a second believe they promised him either (a) the most talented star or (b) the trophy. He was genuinely surprised and in disbelief when he saw Meryl walk through the door the first time. I don't think he's a good enough actor to fake that. He wears his heart on his sleeve. Always.

9. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

The producers also rig the show by determining the dance order. Usually the more desirable spots are in the last half hour of the show. It is ratings driven, obviously, and if they can stir up fake or exaggerated drama, they will.

Personally, I think Danica is the best dancer after Meryl and Charlie. James is okay I guess, but I think Peta doesn't give him enough content. Certainly when paired with Charlie, Peta could have made the program more challenging. Sharna is giving Charlie difficult choreography and giving him a chance to shine. Like Maks is doing for Meryl. (and Val for Danica.)

10. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

I agree that DWTS underestimated Maks' appeal. Ratings are slipping which accounts for all the changes they made this season: replacing the orchestra, replacing Brooke, the partner switch experiment. They brought Maks back to improve ratings. I suspect that they also gave Maks the best female star this season in order to improve ratings.

11. Laura4

Laura4 Active Member

Well, I'm just glad that they decided to pair up Meryl and Maks. They are certainly making a good impression on people. I'll be very curious to see if this friendship they seem to have developed will last after the show ends.

12. Katha

Katha New Member

Yes, that stuff is rigged and scripted. How much is anyone's guess, anything for ratings. But you sometimes see that TPTB miscalculate about what gets them the most exposure/ratings. It's interesting/infuriating to watch the shenanigans.

For example, I do find the probable thought process when it comes to Marlie's pro partners somewhat fascinating. They're both ringers, so backlash is expected. Better not give them to the most popular pros, they would probably run away with the thing but also sour a good chunk of the audience on the show for good. So Cheryl and Derek are out (Derek can't travel with Meryl anyway). For Charlie: Karina is out since she had the ringer last time. They probably already had the obnoxious "surprise" for Peta and James lined up, so she's out as well. Witney is very young and inexperienced choreography-wise and they probably wanted to pair Cody with someone vaguely age-appropriate. So Sharna it is, she's done some good work in the seasons before, let's give her a shot with a contender. But she doesn't have an established fanbase yet, so Charlie won't run away with it and will have to pull votes on his own.

For Meryl it's even more interesting: IMO they went with a deliberate mismatch, at least it seems that way to me. In contrast to Charlie, she got a pro with a more solid fanbase. Probably because they figured backlash for female ringers is worse, she will need some help there. Not "Derek-level" help, but some help. But they're also totally mismatched size-wise, he's way too tall for her. I also suspect that "go for the most extreme contrast to Charlie" was a consideration. So IMO she also got a bit more of a challenge than Charlie, "make your size difference work" etc. And they probably also did it for the lulz and the entertainment factor. ;) That also brings in ratings.

13. Johnny_Fever

Yup. That pretty much summarizes it. I don't think that Meryl & Maks are all that mismatched though. They make it work. It looks right.

14. Marlie fan

Marlie fan New Member

I do believe the producers wanted to give at least a fairly talented female star to Maks this season, if not the best one. But I don't know if their aim was to create tension and drama between the lovely petite, outwardly gentle and shy figure skater and the big bad grouchy boy of the dance floor. If that was their intention, it backfired fantastically. Even I didn't think Meryl and Maks would get along so well. I never thought there would be friction and fights between the two as Meryl is so professional and level-headed, but the friendship and chemistry that's developed is a big whopping surprise to me. Good for both of them that the pairing has worked so well.

15. Johnny_Fever

In my book, Meryl has more credibility than anyone else Maks has ever been partnered with. If Meryl gets along well with him, he must be an okay guy.

16. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

What ever happened to the old DWTS?

17. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

She's bringing out the best in him for sure. Maks has been temperamental in the past. But Meryl is an athlete and is talented, so Maks must be inspired to do his best for her and behave his best. :)

18. Laura4

Laura4 Active Member

I think the only thing that worries me a bit about Maks is his choreography. Can he deliver if he and Meryl make it to the finals, especially if they have to go up against Derek. But the one good thing they have going for them is that people seem to be fascinated with the chemistry they've created. People are talking about how they love this softer side of Maks, and wondering if he and Meryl might be attracted to each other. All this chatter is good for them because it generates interest in their partnership. Now, the only thing Maks has to do is choreograph some great routines that will make Meryl shine. He's done it already, he just needs to keep it going.

19. Johnny_Fever

Maks needs to get Val's help on his choreography. Derek's choreographic skills are going to waste on Amy. The only way Amy can present any real competition to Meryl & Charlie is by playing the sympathy card.

20. caitie

caitie Member

I still think it's not a very aesthetically pleasing match with the 11 inch height difference, but I'm enjoying their partnership.

Kristyn Burtt (who hosts the Afterbuzz show) did suggest that Maks came back knowing he was going to get a good partner, and she definitely has inside sources. I could see Maks telling the producers that he'd like to come back as a pro rather than a judge but that he wanted a contender. He may still have been genuinely surprised to get Meryl, though. We didn't even really discuss him much as an option until the day of the announcement IIRC. Even his own fans thought he'd be paired with Nene or Danica.

I've seen a handful of comments the past two days about Meryl not really seeming like she's in it to win it. What do you guys think? I did see in their interview that she gave Maks a pre-dance pep talk about how remember, we aren't competing, we're just dancing for fun and enjoying this or something. She definitely didn't seem to care at all that she was in fifth or sixth place either, Charlie talks a lot more about his scores than she does.

ETA:

I really wouldn't phrase it like this, it's not a "sympathy card," it's her reality. People don't want to see Derek just move her around, but the reality is that her pointed feet was like walking on stilts, she can't really feel the floor so it makes the rise and fall of the ballroom dances impossible to faithfully duplicate. I do think she's sort of reaching a point where it's going to be hard for her to deliver as much content as the other contestants will be able to put in their dances, but I think it's totally legitimate for people to be moved and impressed by her attempts to overcome these challenges and vote for her because of it, even if she has some dances (I'm nervous about her jive next week!) where she can't do much traditional content.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  21. Johnny_Fever

After you've won an OGM, a DWTS mirror ball is a bit of a joke.

22. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Meryl and Charlie are natural competitors. I'm sure if they were in a competition for a pencil, they'd still work their hardest to get it and be bummed if they didn't.
    If they weren't in it to win it, I don't think they'd have done the show at all.

I think Meryl does care. She sure doesn't seem to be phoning it in in rehearsals, but Charlie does seem to be a bit more into the scores. Maybe Meryl just realizes judges scores only matter a tiny bit.

Or, I wonder if Meryl is so used to the PC interviews about scores she hasn't moved on; where Charlie realizes he can relax compared to skating and actually talk about wanting to win.

23. Laura4

Laura4 Active Member

I was just thinking how awesome it would be if we could see a whole season of Meryl/Val and Meryl/Derek. Man, would I love to see what those partnerships would've created in comparison to the Meryl/Maks partnership! It would've been interesting to see which one we preferred.

24. Muffin

Muffin New Member

I think Meryl's Zen attitude about the weekly scores and placement doesn't have to do with not caring about winning, it's about maintaining the correct attitude towards the whole process that will ultimately lead to winning.

From what I gather, Maks used to get way too wrapped up in the pressure of competition, and would yell and browbeat his partner to get them through each week. I don't think it really led to great dancing. If Meryl & Maks can continue to have fun and inspire each other, I think that's their best shot at reaching the final.

25. Laura4

Laura4 Active Member

True, but remember, the longer they stay in the competition, the bigger the paycheck will be. I'd say that's a good incentive to make it to the end. Haha

26. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I think Meryl and Charlie went into he show for fun and to learn something a bit new. They are taking it seriously but I think winning isn't the main goal for them because that's out of their hands since the audience can vote for whatever reason. I think they want to do Justice to the dance and the choreography. Of course they want to win but pushing themselves at something new is more the goal then the MBT. Imo.

27. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

28. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I think she's going to continue to get a pass on whatever she can't do right up until the end. Billy Dee Williams with artificial hips didn't get a pass, but Amy does. I got that.

29. skatfan

skatfan Well-Known Member

I think you are right Tarotx - they went into doing the show as the reward for their work, not trying to win. But of course their talent is high, so they will be likely to make top 5, but after that, who knows? Meryl has been very clear that after winning the OGM, they are both out to enjoy themselves, not to take things seriously. DWTS is a good match, because wise folks don't take the show too seriously, and enjoy the dances themselves!

Really, four years later, I didn't even remember whether Evan won his season or not, but I do remember the OGM performance. Perspective is a wonderful thing, and I think especially in Max's case, Meryl's desire to "taste all the flavors" of the dances is pretty inspiring. And they lucked out that their timing together is so good. Monday night their spins were dead on, which considering their size difference is pretty amazing!

30. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Have we ever seen Meryl anything other than zen in any K&C under any circumstances, win or lose? Or, really, at any other time? She is that way. She channels her passion into her performances. That's what those breaths mean that you always see in the close ups before her performances, skating and now dance. I love this about her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.