Davis & White #26: Dancing with the Stars on Ice!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jenniwren12, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I wonder how they're going to manage when it comes time for group dances? Or will TPTB have decided that there won't be any group challenges this season due to Meryl and Charlie being gone all week?

2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Did Evan have group dances?

3. caitie

caitie Member

I was wondering that as well. M/C aren't the first contestants to travel, though, and Nene is also in NYC right now. I assume the show has dealt with this kind of stuff in the past?

4. cheriepopo

cheriepopo Active Member

yes he did, the group dance of cha-cha-cha.

5. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

Yeah, how are group dances going to work?...Whoo group road trip! :D Dream team: Meryl, Charlie, Danica, and Drew. Mostly because Danica is adorable and Drew is hilarious, and I want to see him and Charlie bounce off each other.

6. Muffin

Muffin New Member

There are three SOI shows this week. There are only two shows the following weekend, two shows the weekend after that, and then three California shows the weekend after that. I don't think group dances take all week, so they should have enough free days to work on stuff like that.

7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

8. skatfan

skatfan Well-Known Member

I was looking at the same thing, it'll be easier for the rest of the tour, and even the remaining three-show weekend is in California, so travel to the show will be quick from San Jose, and one of those shows is in LA.

9. cheriepopo

cheriepopo Active Member

yeah, Evan's group dance was with Erin and Necy(don't remember how to spell her name lol), it was basically solo dances from each team and only a few group stuffs, so I think it won't be a problem for Meryl and Charlie. Awwwww just can't wait to watch the next show! I'm even more excited than in a skating season, because I could see new programs from Meryl and Charlie every week! lol

10. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

Gee, those people sound as looney tunes as some V/M fans, maybe even worse than them. The Derek fans at P. are the biggest hypocrites, everything they accuse Maks' fans of, they are guilty of doing the exact same thing. I'm really sick of the comments saying Maks' choreography sucks & he's not pushing Meryl enough like Derek did with Nicole Scherzinger. Maks has honestly been taking a much smarter approach by pacing Meryl & making sure she doesn't peak too soon, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's saving all his best choreography for the final weeks & especially for their freestyle.

Meryl and Maks' Samba had plenty of content (running promenades, backward roks, botofogas, batucada steps...etc) and Meryl was the only one doing reverse shadow rolls in her Samba that night compared to Cody and Candace (FYI Mark hates shadow rolls, both reverse & natural and rarely ever puts them in any Sambas he's done w/ a celeb). I think maybe Meryl didn't have as much bounce & syncopation in her Samba was most likely due to that she wasn't wearing Latin heels and even Anna T mentioned that on AfterBuzz.

What really PO's me is them saying James deserved his perfect scores because he did a star lift and Meryl & Charlie were physically incapable of that because they never did that lift in ice dancing :angryfire. These idiots should take 5-10 minutes to learn the difference between pairs lifts and ice dance lifts, did they not watch Tracey Wilson explain the differences between ice dancing and pairs skating on the NBC evening broadcasts during the Olympics :wall:? Pairs lifts are always overhead lifts, ice dance lifts are never above the shoulder. Good grief, the reason why Meryl and Charlie never performed a star lift is not because they were physically incapable, it's because they were not allowed to due the rules in ice dancing (& we all know that Meryl & Charlie have the physical capability to do a star lift, because of the sheer physical strength & difficulty it took for them to do their pull-through curve lift in Scheherazade that they worked on for 3 yrs) :duh:.

11. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

Actually Evan had a Team Dances and the Swing-Marathon. In the past seasons the Group dances are when all the couples dance together and no one is scored, or sometimes a few extra judges points are given to a stand-out couple.

12. cheriepopo

cheriepopo Active Member

this makes me laugh so hard!:lol::lol:

13. applelady

applelady Active Member

THIS- every single bit! Love it!!

14. WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit New Member

And contrary to what AfterBuzz panel said, that wasn't the first star lift on the show, Tony and Melissa did one in their Argentine Tango in season 15, and unlike Peta, Melissa didn't come crashing down out of hers.

15. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

Normally the Team dances (not Group dances, that's something different) are usually done in week 7. Usually how they do the Team dances is usually either team is led by one of the 2 highest scoring couples either of the previous week or one of the top 2 couples w/ the most judges points throughout the competition thus far. And they flip a coin to see which couple picks first on what couples to add to their team. Right now Meryl and Maks lead for the most judges points for competition followed by Charlie and Sharna, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being Team Meryl vs Team Charlie.

16. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

Yes, it wasn't the first star lift done on the show, but I believe Melissa and Tony also did another star lift in their super-size freestyle; and the star lift in their freestyle was far more breathtaking & phenomenal than James & Peta's b/c Melissa & Tony did it on 7ft high platform and with him holding her up while she was at least around 13 feet high in the air and Melissa's dismount out of both star lifts in her Argentine Tango & Freestyle were so much cleaner than Peta and James' star lift. But with James and Peta this was the first time a male celeb has done a star lift and that's why the Afterbuzz panel & everyone else is making a big deal out of it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  17. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

Team Meryl vs Team Charlie? Sounds good, i'm on board :D

18. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

Me too, but they have to be smart about who they pick for the team dances. If I was either Meryl or Charlie the first couple I'd snatch up is Amy & Derek, because Derek is pretty much undefeated in the team dances, he is really great at choreographing those, and any team he's been on always gets more judges points than the other team.

19. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I want Meryl / Maks to pick Val and then noone cares :p

20. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

21. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Party Rock? Tubthumping? Yeah ... I got nothin'. :scream:

22. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

No idea, but props to Meryl if she manages to work "the worm" into her routine (although that may get complaints from the judges).

23. Marlie fan

Marlie fan New Member

What's extremely sad about them is their dishonesty. They have no hesitation to lie. They outright lied about at least 3 things concerning switchup week -- they said Meryl and Val were "not getting along" which was false, they said Maks and Danica were "not getting along" which was false, and they said the producers didn't listen to viewers votes which was false (and they censored a comment which laid out proof they were wrong).

If Meryl wins, their story will be that the producers promised Maks the win for coming back and they rigged it. This is utter nonsense. Yes, to some extent the show is rigged. For example, when they initially pair a star with a pro, that is rigging the results in a way. Which is a big reason why Derek has won so many times, because he's generally gotten the better talented stars to work with. But the producers do not promise any pro a win at the beginning of a season. The irony is that if the Derek fangirls argue the results for Meryl are rigged, then that means all of Derek's results were rigged too. They can't have it both ways, though they try to!

I do not mind the petty jealousy, gossip, bitterness and cattiness. That is to be expected of rabid irrational fans like that. But the dishonesty and lies speak very poorly of them and are wrong.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  24. Marlie fan

Marlie fan New Member

Don't they have the tango next week? A tango to a party anthem? Hmmm. Seems odd.

25. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

All the music choices seem odd.

26. CassAgain

CassAgain Well-Known Member

It's going to be one of those weeks. I am looking forward to seeing what Sharna and Charlie do for their 80s party anthem cha cha. The tango could be anything; I don't even have a guess. Like Maks said in one of those interviews, I'm just enjoying every week, so hey, it's tango week, let's enjoy tango.

Stars on Ice is in New Hampshire, Albany, New York and Maine this week, so another cross-country travel.

27. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I don't think Sharna and Charlie are very fond of their song because Sharna made a point of saying they didn't choose it.

28. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  29. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that's the only way the show's rigged from what I've heard so far. There was a show here in Germany of which they recently uncovered that it was filmed within two weeks, in Germany, and not the Australian wilderness as they always claimed. Since it was filmed within two weeks and not going on air live, the phone call voting, of course, didn't make a single difference in the end.
    And a friend has once done a similiar show (in Turkey) and she told us afterwards that the guy who won "mysteriously" always drew the dances he was good at and, big surprise, he won. He was also already hired as a choreographer for the following season by the network before the show even ended.
    I have a hard time believing that DWTS is any different; I do believe they're live on air but I also think the results are rigged and they already know who's going to win. Maybe I'm very cynical but TPTB probably care more about ratings than anything else.

30. Muffin

Muffin New Member

In the United States, it is a federal crime to rig a game show, dating back to the Quiz Show scandals, and it is taken very seriously. Producers do have certain ways of influencing how things go, and that's why you see a big list of disclaimers at the end of every show listing things that may be at the show's "discretion". But disregarding viewer votes would send a whole lot of people to prison.

When it comes to DWTS being "rigged" it has to do with the judges maybe giving scores that will help out somebody who has not been raking in a lot of viewer votes, or editing an unflattering package together that will hurt someone who is vulnerable (hello, Nene).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.