Davis & White #26: Dancing with the Stars on Ice!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jenniwren12, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

2. Johnny_Fever

D/W are probably running on adrenaline at this point. I want to see some SOI fluff as well. I want to see Maks & Sharna on the ice.

3. Johnny_Fever

Sharna said she doesn't like her anthem either. She said its an 80's song.

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I've always wondered if Dick Van Dyke did the dance to match the penguins or if the penguins were added in to match him.

And Cody totally stole his pants.

5. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I've been wondering if they're trying not to show too much SOI/skating fluff because there is already a lot of "ringer" negativity around toward M&C. Much more so than anyone I can remember, including Kristi and Evan (or Zendaya, Sabrina, etc, of those with backgrounds in other styles of dance). Because ice dance includes the word dance, I guess.

6. applelady

applelady Active Member

I agree. It's always hard to work with props, always adds difficulty. I think he did an amazing job. Of course, being "our Charlie," he kept it together beautifully and retained his grace and professionalism. :respec:
    I think Meryl is doing an awesome job, I adore her (of course), and I begrudge her nothing, but I feel like Charlie can't catch a break lately; some judges didn't like his Tango, he kind of got hosed on the "was it or wasn't it" dance with Peta, and now this small mistake. I'm glad they didn't rip him apart for it; it could have gone either way with the :confused: way the scoring has been.
    In any event, I'm really proud of them for doing all they are doing right now, and I hope things go smoothly for them both next week!

7. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

If I'm not entirely mistaken, and according to the movie "Saving Mr Banks" which I believe is pretty accurate in that regard, the animation was planned from the beginning.

Charlie's dance was a little too copied from the original and too much of a tap dance character for my taste, and poor Meryl had to dance a Samba to that... My conclusion is that I'm all for abolishing Disney week! (not that I'll watch DWTS again afterwards... :p)

8. Johnny_Fever

Found this online. I don't know how reliable the source is:

9. Skittl1321

Yes, planned. I was just wondering if they made the penguins do what he did, or if he had to do what the Penguins did.

Thanks Johnny Fever- that answers it. The penguins were drawn to match Dick. (Assuming the source is accurate.)

I just think it would be very very difficult to match your timing to pre-drawn animation (not to say Dick couldn't do it). Obviously, Charlie had some difficulty.

10. Johnny_Fever

Also, animators are not choreographers. They need a real person as a reference so they can determine how the penguins should move.

11. Skittl1321

They could have watched another dancer or the choreographer though.

But I bet animators can draw characters dancing silly little jigs without a human reference. Animals have been dancing in cartoons since cartoons existed. Some where likely drawn off models, but not all, I'd think.

12. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Ah, okay, gotcha! I would think Johnny Fever's source is correct since that's how they animated their movies, the shot live actions of the Scenes/had actors act out the scenes and then drew them. (I read a very detailed Walt Disney biography :) )

13. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

That has to be my favorite Meryl/Maks fluff. Makes up for the song choice...almost.

The Mowgli moment was hilarious. Having a boyish figure is perhaps a sore spot for Meryl and Maks just blows through it. He probably just thinks of Meryl as small and petite...like Mowgli.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  14. Johnny_Fever

Are you guys watching Access Hollywood? Meryl counting Mak's abs. :D

15. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

16. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

17. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder! I'm surprised Anna didn't get that Meryl and Maks were wearing the shoes they were because they were trying to give the impression of being barefoot in the jungle

18. lmarie086

Yeah, that was one comment that struck me. I felt out of tune with some of the comments tonight; for one, I was expecting (mostly from Suri and Anna) to yell that there wasn't enough samba in Meryl and Maks' number. But I appreciated that they appreciated what he tried to do with the music and setting, because really there was only so much Maks could have done. And with the wardrobe included, the shoes were a part of that.

I'm glad Suri stood up for Tony; he's such a sweet guy and that package really did not portray him well, even though Nene should come out of that looking worse. I also liked that they said the judges were on happy pills and that there were some high scores.

19. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

20. Muffin

Muffin New Member

And yet when they went dancer by dancer, they generally agreed with the scores or wanted them to be higher. I liked Candace's routine a lot, but her basic skills are so rough I thought 9's were too high, and they were ok with that.

21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I noticed that too.

22. lmarie086

Well, not for every dance. There were a few that Anna and Julez did say shouldn't have been as high, though they were inconsistent on that as well.

I guess the judges aren't the only inconsistent ones.

23. LovelyMeteora

LovelyMeteora Member

Did anyone else catch Charlie saying in the OTRC interview that he was buying a house with his girlfriend? I mean, yay for them (though I thought they bought a house a couple of years ago?), but what a stressful time to move! I'm sort of shocked that they would throw that on the pile with everything else they've had going on for the past few months.

Meryl and Maks are just consistently adorable.

24. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Wait...are you saying that Suri actually said something worthwhile and contributed positively to the show? Cause that I'm going to have to see to believe.

25. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I missed some of the show. Which dances did they think were overscored?

26. Muffin

Muffin New Member

The only place I heard the "not enough samba" complaint was on Pure DWTS. They were also behind the "not enough foxtrot" complaint. Not to get into a board dragging thing, but they have full-on turned against Meryl. They *hate* her now (particularly the mod, Princess Heidi) because they hate Maks and Meryl obviously doesn't. So now it's all about how Meryl is overrated, her dances are blah, she's being shoved down everyone's throats, and how she must not getting any votes because she's so unlikeable so the DWTS producers are rigging everything to help her. I'm still going to the board for info, but I skip just skim through the comments and disregard all the negative opinions. As far as I know, none of them actually know anything about dance, so I disregard their negative dance assessments too.

27. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

Wow, what an interesting (hectic) time for a move! I wouldn't be surprised if during one of these post show interviews, he casually slips in a reference to his "fiancee" and that's how we all find out :D

28. lmarie086

Off the top of my head, Nene and possibly Candace? They also thought Charlie was underscored, but they were fine with James, Danica, Amy (in fact they wanted at least one more 10 for her. Or Suri did at least. I discounted that personally lol) and Meryl.

29. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

So does anyone have even the slightest idea as to what "party anthem" Maks and Meryl could tango to?

30. skatfan

skatfan Well-Known Member

I think it makes percent sense to buy a house with his winnings from the Olympcis, the fairly lucrative dwts contract, and a middling moneyfrom SOI. I assume Tanith is doing the heavy lifting on the search though.

The upcoming weeks should be a bit easier for Meryl and Charlie on the SOI front, there are no more than 3 SOI shows a week, sometimes only two. Which is good because pretty soon they'll need to up the # of dances for dwts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.