Davis & White #26: Dancing with the Stars on Ice!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jenniwren12, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

The less said about Nene's dance, the better. But speaking of Nene, I find it hilarious that she's under the impression that DWTS has ever been or is supposed to be a show of contestants on equal ground.

Sure, Meryl and Charlie are pretty big ringers, but I personally would never watch if everyone was at the Nene level. She wasn't brought on to be someone with a chance to win. Nene was chosen to entertain.

belladashwood, thanks! I'll look into them. I don't care if it takes time to learn, it's worth it.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

3. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

Sharna is livetweeting the show and is such a fangirl, I love it :D

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Well, hip hop is definitely not jazz, but there really is no clear definition for it in the first place which is why I asked and wondered how they want to say that's jazz or not. I've had jazz classes in France, Germany and the US and each country has their own style, each teacher has then their own style again. What's called contemporary jazz with one person, is called jazz with another, someone calls something modern jazz and someone else wouldn't even classify it as jazz at all.
    On a side note, I'd actually say what Charlie did in his first show was jazz. No one I know would have classified that as contemporary. Contemporary jazz at best. That said, I wish they'd stick to ballroom/latin.

6. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

7. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

I did that lift with a girl once. Well, the second half of it anyway. I love how there are no boards in SOI shows. No barrier between skaters and audience.

8. newbatgirl

newbatgirl Well-Known Member

Maks' hashtag on that clip slays me.

9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

It's :rofl:

10. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

In the picture of the foursome before the show, it looked like Sharna had a mic clipped on! Yesss

11. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

It was good to hear all those great compliments from the British commentators.

12. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

How wonderful to see that performance with all the distracting crowd noise filtered out!!:encore::encore:

13. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

Agreed! You can really see the quality of their performance in this video and why they got that much deserved monster score.

14. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I was curious if the ISU ever uses jazz in ice dance to see what they would include and could not find the term used anywhere in their regulations. I think there was a jive OD once, but not jazz.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  15. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

...That's a Viennese Waltz. I was referring to what Meryl could be doing for samba. Literally nothing in Mary Poppins applies.

17. Muffin

Muffin New Member

Gossip from Courtney (one of the mods) at PureDWTS:

18. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

Just tossing out ideas :)

19. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I tried one but they're actually very, very bad if you really want to dance Latin correctly. (For a start, there's a major difference between tennis shoes and 3" heels...) I've just accepted that ballroom doesn't do enough cardio and I have to cross-train. Skating at least burns serious calories! (And doing ballroom has made me a seriously ambidextrous spinner.) But I also am not a workout-video person-I have to multitask. Treadmills are more my thing. If you just want a cardio burn and to watch Maks while you're doing it this has major up sides over most fitness videos.

Samba the trick is not the hips. It's actually fairly lacking in Cuban action. The problem is that stupid 'bounce.' I would think since almost two decades of ice dance should have given Meryl KILLER knees and control, she might actually pick it up pretty well.

20. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

Just checked Kristyn from AfterbuzzTV twitter account, she's double checking w/ her source about Meryl and Maks having the Samba since PureDWTS and Meryl's own tweet to Adam Rippon today could possibly be hinting that she may be dancing to something from Beauty and the Beast.

21. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

I use dance sneakers when I do any type of dance workouts, I have a pair and they're much better than regular tennis shoes and they're also great for Zumba too. Like I said the DWTS DVD's are fine for learning the basic steps & working out at home, but if someone wants to master the technique & dance w/ a partner then they need to start taking lessons at local dance studio from a professional and start wearing latin heels.

But yeah, it's that stupid bounce in the Samba I can never get, and forget the Boto fogos and volta steps, never can get the hang of those, Meryl should definitely be a master at those, lol

22. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

So all the movies from that clip probably means they aren't the music said people are using but I find it eye rolling that NeNe was batting Tinkerbell and Maks was kissing her :D So is there a Peter Pan song that fits Iconic and Samba? They probably have something different though...

23. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Does "Kiss the Girl" fit the requirements for a samba?

24. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

Not really, it's more of a romantic song, dancing a Rumba or maybe a Foxtrot would fit that song better.

25. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Hmm, well Maks said it is an iconic, award winning song. The only Beauty and the Beast song to win an award is Beauty and the Beast. It is iconic, but that would essentially make Meryl a princess, right? And the gossip is that Meryl is not a princess. I could definitely see Meryl having fun playing with words to throw people off, but I do wonder if Kristyn's source was wrong and it is not a samba for this week.

So excited to find out what Charlie has! Sharna is quickly becoming one of my favorites, and I think he's in good hands.

26. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

Well, here's what Maks said: Glamour.com - "Are you prepared to play Eric (The Little Mermaid), Gaston (Beauty and the Beast), or Aladdin? Maks - "I would probably pick Aladdin, but I’m telling you right now I’m not going to be one of those three. It’s another classic Disney character, associated with a very classic song."

I honestly trust Kristyn @AfterBuzztv's source more than PureDWTS' source because Kristyn lives in LA & has more contacts w/ the show, and Pure's been known to get a few things wrong like stuff w/ the Switch saying that Derek could travel w/ Meryl, while Kristyn and her source said that Derek couldn't travel, and turns out Kristyn & her source were right. Honestly I think Pure just jumped to the conclusion of Meryl not being a Disney princess, when the only thing that's been definitely stated for sure is that Charlie is NOT a prince.

27. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Here's a picture of all 4 together at a rink
    http://instagram.com/p/mlqmVssT7A/

Interesting that Deividas Stagniunas asked Charlie when he was going to be back, and Charlie responded "In June".

Another season..perhaps? :D
    Or am I just overthinking it, and getting my hopes up high?

28. LovelyMeteora

LovelyMeteora Member

Not to be Debbie Downer, but Charlie wrote, "dude...like...June," which seemed to me like more of a joking comment about the fact that it's going to be awhile before he gets back to Michigan. That is not to say at all that they won't do another season, of course, just that in this instance I don't think it was an answer literally indicating that they'd be back to train in June, more about how insane their schedule currently is.

29. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

30. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I like Sharna's choreography. I absolutely loved Happy, and I thought the number she choreographed for Cody this week was good. Much better than what Peta put together for Charlie. FWIW, I'm probably in the minority but I totally agreed with Len & Carrie Anne about that dance, there was absolutely no rhumba character. Worse still, it didn't take advantage of Charlie's partnering skills. His previous week's dance was amazing, with him leading Sharna all over the floor. The Peta dance was very stationary, just shifting from pose to pose. There was no movement across the floor. It didn't show off Charlie's skills and athleticism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.