Davis & White #25: Monday Night Fever!!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by semogal, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Muffin

Muffin New Member

Jeez, I didn't realize lighting was supposed to make it IMPOSSIBLE to see what's going.

2. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

They have some great numbers analysis, spoilers are usually spot on, & also good at keeping up w/ media news. But they do blow things out proportion, are heavily biased in favor of Derek & claim things are conspiracy when their golden-boy doesn't win; they hate Maks/Tony/Val, have a love/hate relationship w/ Mark, and usually are neutral w/ any other male pros. The female pros they snark about the most are Cheryl and Peta, and sometimes Karina, otherwise they're neutral towards the other female pros, when it comes to female pros as long as whoever they're partnered with doesn't pose a threat to Derek & his partner they're fine with.

It's fine if you wanna look at info though, but I do NOT recommend commenting there, because you don't tow the line & agree w/ them, they'll label you a crazy Maks fan and ban you. Muffin made a perfectly reasonable post there & got labeled as a "crazy Maks fan" when she's only watched a handful of DWTS episodes.

Just to warn you if you venture there, they're still pissing & moaning about Derek not having Meryl for the Switch, and refuse to accept the real reason why Val got her is because Derek couldn't travel w/ her this week due to his schedule, while stating it's a huge TPTB conspiracy and that the TPTB are kissing up to Maks/Val/Tony when that's clearly not the case.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  3. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

I'm not happy that they axed the twizzles :(, I loved how they were timed to the music

4. Nadia2013

Nadia2013 Well-Known Member

Thank you, TanithandBenFan! That was beautiful. I loved the swoopy lift and how they kept the ending of the original Shez.

5. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I agree, and whether their twizzles have always been perfect or not, I've always loved watching this element from D/W. The twizzles were wonderfully matched to the music in Scheherezade.

Sidenote: Their twizzles were one of the first reasons I even watched them; I was starting to get more in to ice dance in 2006 (thanks partially to B/A's OSM) and everything I read in the lead up to the 2006 fall season kept mentioning D/W and their twizzles. Then I just liked them in general once I watched them. It's been amazing to watch the journey their skating and the D/W partnership took as the years went on.

I'm going to miss them so much. :(

cynthiabc and (deleted member) like this.
  6. temp

temp New Member

;)
    Thanks for the warning. I really watch the show because of Meryl and Charlie and had only watched it in 2010 because of Evan, so don't focus on the pros that much. However, I rather like Maks and find him very entertaining. I even found some old videos of him with Elena Grinenko (his former pro dancing partner) - great dancing. So I guess these peeps would classify me as Maks fan. ;)

7. Muffin

Muffin New Member

I think Scott Hamilton made an excellent point in his interview with The Skating Lesson about why pro shows like Stars on Ice don't get good attendance anymore. He said he'd talk to young skaters who do competition programs stuffed with quads and triple-triples and he'd ask them what they are doing in their show programs and they'd be like, "A triple toe loop". I think Meryl & Charlie should at least be doing their amazing twizzles. That's the ice dance version of hard jump. :( I know they are carrying the show on their shoulders and I know the tour would be exhausting even if they weren't doing DWTS at the same time, but c'mon guys!

8. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

Ditto! I can't wait to see the show on television! Thanks to everyone for posting videos and reviews!

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Muffin- that's an interesting observation. While I am sure it is watered down a bit, when I saw Jason using Riverdance as an opening number, I was thinking "aww man- the others get to just glide and be pretty throwing in the occasional jump and he has to be out there doing a long program every night."

I mean, he knows where his bread is buttered, and Riverdance is what made him 'famous'; but it is not common to see a competition program in shows.

10. Nadia2013

Nadia2013 Well-Known Member

You have a point, Muffin. I didn't think of it that way. I admit that, when I watch the Christmas skating show on TV, I get disappointed when skaters have just simple spins and double jumps. After all the media attention on Meryl and Charlie's twizzles, there may be a lot of fans looking forward to seeing them in person.

11. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

12. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

I must admit, while I get where he's coming from with people watering down jump content in programs, I think the problem with a lot of eligible skaters and exhibitions is the choreography. You can tell the skaters who've actually spent some time putting together an exhibition program and getting it properly choreographed, versus the skaters who just chuck on a piece of music and do cookie-cutter choreography with no thought behind it. I remember when I first started watching skating about 20 years ago I used to really enjoy watching the exhibitions, and these days I only really pay attention to my favourites, or skaters who really make an effort.

It's why it makes me sad that there's no real pro scene anymore because the programs the pro skaters who were doing a full SOI tour would put together were often absolutely brilliant - when you think back to the days of Kurt Browning, Gordeeva and Grinkov and Kristi Yamaguchi - there were really memorable programs. Also the group numbers were far more detailed - they used to spend weeks in Lake Placid rehearsing and putting together SOI, and now the cast are lucky if they get a couple of days with the choreographers to put together group numbers. I guess a lot of it is money related too - if you're only going to do an exhibition a couple of times then what's the point of spending time and money on choreography for it, but at the same time it then doesn't encourage people to come and see the show.

13. Fialka88

Fialka88 Member

Wait, are they not doing the trademark first lift? If so, that's probably more disappointing than lack of twizzles - at least we get the beautiful Samson and Delilah lift in place of them.

14. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that the majority of SOI fans can tell the difference between a triple toe loop, and any other triple. Most of them can't even distinguish between a double and a triple. If Meryl & Charlie leave out their twizzles, 99% of the SOI audience members wouldn't know they're missing. Ice shows don't get good attendance anymore because interest in figure skating has been steadily declining ever since Nancy's knee-whacking.

15. Skittl1321

If not skating fans, who do you think goes to SOI?

I don't think people who don't follow skating go anymore. So the audience would be people who know that D/W have amazing twizzles (I would be sad to miss those), and at the very least, know a few different jumps.

I would assume things like D/W's swing entry lift and men's quads and women's 3-3s get cut because 1) they are freaking hard and they don't get a lot of rest and 2) they aren't interested in risking injury; overuse, or from a fall. But show skating just doesn't interest me except from a very few people.

16. Johnny_Fever

Just watch the video. The only elements that got applause were the lifts. D/W could have twizzled for one minute straight, and no one in that building would have cared.

17. Boozy

Boozy New Member

can someone post me the Ice Japan show what Meryl was in few years ago? I cannot find it on youtube.

18. Johnny_Fever

You're tempting me to go over there and post a bunch of anti-Derek comments just to ruffle their feathers. :D

19. Skittl1321

They'll just get deleted, so there is very little point to it.

20. caitie

caitie Member

People also applauded their dance spin. In ice dance the elements that always get knee-jerk applause are lifts, twizzles, and spins.

I don't mind skaters not doing their biggest points-getting combinations, but it would definitely be nice for the audience to see some big triples and quads. I don't care for the spins in competition nowadays (with all the difficult positions having to be changed so often) so I don't mind if those are simplified to something more attractive.

Interesting about Charlie doing the rumba! Peta's dances with James have been really good the last two weeks IMO, so it should be interesting what she comes up with, how Charlie handles the hip movement, and ofc to see how the personalities mesh! I think most of us thought Peta was wrong for Charlie when we were trying to figure out which pro D/W would have, but hey, I'd never have put Meryl with Maks so maybe this match will pleasantly surprise me too.

21. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

22. Johnny_Fever

Wow. That's amazing. Does Polina even need them? I think they're just a dance requirement. Its nice to see that Charlie still gets some goof off time, in spite of his busy schedule.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  23. Skittl1321

How long has Polina had her senior tests? Twizzles are required MITF now, but I'm not sure which level.
    They are also used in footwork sequences.

24. Johnny_Fever

I'm out of touch. In my day we did school figures.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  26. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

That was so cute and fun to watch! I'm looking forward to seeing how Polina's skating progresses. Gracie Gold better look over her shoulder, Polina will be nipping at her heels at the next National's competition.

27. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I imagine the reason the trademark Scheherezade lift is not being included because they haven't been practicing it as consistently. That swing entrance is tricky, and while I would believe muscle memory would help them execute it still, I'd bet D/W have not done that lift very often since they won in Sochi.

28. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

29. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

Charlie posted a tweet by teammerylandmax that says Happy and All of Me are number 1 and 2 on iTunes. :)

30. Michelle24

Michelle24 Member

I have the best mom in the world. She's not a skating fan, but she is a fan of DWTS and knows I love Meryl and Charlie, and therefore now loves them too. She surprised me today with tickets to the SOI show on Thursday! Can't believe I'm actually getting to see them skate live, for the first time ever! Not to mention getting to see Jason, Josh, Ashley and Mirai too. I'm beyooooond excited!! :D

shan and (deleted member) like this.