Davis & White #18: I Could've Danced All 1001 Nights

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TanithandBenFan, Oct 18, 2013.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I thought Meryl and Charlie were absolutely exquisite and seamless, with athleticism, drama, and grace. I admire them greatly. They make ice dance exciting to watch. I love how they work so hard, give it their all and continue to challenge themselves and grow. They shoot for perfection and achieve it with such consistency and precision. They are wonderful through and through. The criticism (by a youtube poster) that they are not doing ice dance is so laughable. The way Meryl and Charlie do ice dance has invigorated the discipline. Moreover their work ethic, class and beautiful, thrilling performances on ice make all their critics look so petty.

I have to say that altho' I realize Meryl and Charlie are uber scream-worthy, some of the OTT screaming by fans in the audience at SA (during their performance) was a bit distracting. Shades of Beatlemania ... and reminiscent of some of the overwrought ear-damaging screams that surrounded me in the audience during MK's 2003 Worlds performance.

2. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

3. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Kind of bummed no new exhibition number. They have tweaked the choreography but basically the same as last years.

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Don't they usually debut a new exhibition at Nationals?

5. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

For the last Olympic season, I thought it was 2009 CoR. It has been at Nationals more recently.

6. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

It's nice to hear them so excited! And he thinks the score should be higher! :cheer:

7. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Any vid of the gala?

8. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I don't have video of their exhibition performance, but I have video of M&C introducing the Shibs during the exhibition. :)

9. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Encore! Encore! Where's the Encore?! Meryl and Charlie should have spoke at the end as well.

Didn't care for the gala. It could have been better, and it seemed to me like they ran out of time..(they cut off M/C's slow-mo replay).

I wanted to see everyone perform a spin, jump, lift, not watch skaters toss cheap Dollar tree stuff at the audience...Oh well. NHK will do better hopefully.

10. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

If no video has surfaced by tomorrow, I can post the video I took of their exhibition on Monday evening.

11. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

12. Michelle24

Michelle24 Member

I found the entire gala uploaded on youtube. I tried to link directly to start at D/W but when I tested the link it didn't go exactly there for me. So if it doesn't start at that time, fast forward to about 42:50, they skate last, right after Tatsuki Machida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOgGJY5bZNQ#t=42m50s

13. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

The woman on British Eurosport was former British Champion Joanne Conway.
    I'll say what I said on the V&M thread. I thought their SD was awful (& I'm a fan). They could do so much better.
    They are two mature talented skaters yet chose music that junior skaters would cringe at.
    Their SD four years ago was genius but this year I just watched thinking double world champions should be doing better than this.
    Also, their blink & you will miss five different positions in a lift free dance was nothing new. Why keep using music that's been done to death by other skaters?.
    I know I'm going to get trashed for saying these things but I have nothing but respect for Meryl & Charlie & just think music-wise they could do so much better.

14. mia joy

mia joy New Member

To an extent, I agree about the SD. It's very nice, light and lovely, but it's also pretty generic. Nothing in it is unexpected or simply wow. BUT I guess you can only do as much with a finnstep. Honestly, none of the SDs this year have a wow factor.

I don't think it's wise to compare this year's SDs to the ODs of Vancouver. For starters, they were ODs and weren't so limited by that CD section inside, which gave skaters much more opportunity to be creative. Secondly and most of all, they were folk dances. The skaters could take just any folk dance music in the world and work with it. Every dance was thus different, every one was entertaining. I mean, with the OD four years ago Meryl and Charlie's music/theme choice alone made it a winner. This year... honsetly, how creative can you get with a finnstep? I feel like it was just a bad SD choice for the Olympic season. In 2011, the SD was a waltz and believe me, I do not remember a single SD from that year, (sadly) Meryl and Charlie's included. I guess this year is just similar.

Yes, they could've gone more into the charlestone/swing mood, but would that guarantee their SD would be more of a wow than it is now? No. They've decided for an approach and within this approach, they're doing a great job. Do I wish we could have Giselle and Yankee Polka this year instead of last? Absolutely. But ISU made this decision and I did cringe at it the minute I found out. I didn't like finnstep when it was a CD and I knew I wouldn't like it as an SD.

Which still doesn't change the fact that as it is, it's a beautiful, lovely dance.

As for Shez, I was sceptical about the music when they announced it, but once I saw them skate to it I knew it was a perfect choice. And I know it will be a stunner in Sochi. And it's not that overused at all, especially in ice dancing. I might take some criticism about their SD, but as far as FD goes, I will keep defending it until I drop.

15. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Thanks for telling us who the woman was! I remember Joanne Conway!

She was at the 1988 Olympics
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MciCJ11VGfw

mia joy, I agree with you! I'll defend Shez to my last breath. I'd like to see them do something a little different and more interesting before the last step sequence, and I'd like to see a different end pose. I like the new choreo lift, but I'd like to see an end pose that makes it clear that she has him "captured". Blumberg & Siebert did a nice job with the end of their 1984 Shez FD.

The SD - I also agree, I don't think I'll spend a lot of time rewatching any that I have seen so far. I had high hopes for the Shibs, since they do quickstep/foxtrot very, very well, but no sale. And now we've seen all the teams in the top 10 from last year's Worlds.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  16. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I agree with all this 100%. I just read the latest page of the V/M thread, and was amazed by the level of sheer hatred and insults thrown at D/W there. There were people saying that Meryl & Charlie can't skate to anything, that all they have is speed, that their SD this year is terrible, and, most laughable of all, that Anissina/Peizerat were a far better team than Meryl/Charlie! What a complete joke--there's no way A/P even at their best could compete with ANY of the top teams these days, much less Meryl & Charlie.

I am glad D/W fans can at least show respect for V/M and their considerable talents.

17. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I keep wanting to comment (but restrain myself because that thread is not a nice place) in the V/M thread that they need to stop freaking out: V/M haven't even skated on the Grand Prix yet. When they do, I bet they receive insanely high scores too. Both teams are so good. I don't understand why V/M can only be lauded (by fans and judges) if D/W are trashed (by fans and judges).

Could it just be that both teams are really great, both teams are going to receive insane scores? V/M are Olympic champions and World champions- it isn't like they are some amazing team who has never gotten the credit they deserve. They've gotten (earned) plenty of accolades. But that doesn't mean they are unbeatable, because D/W have improved over the years and they deserve the accolades as well.

I like both teams, I'm not an uber of either. But the V/M thread just makes me want to scream sometimes.

18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

19. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Since I am the one who compared them to A&P I can state that's not what I said.
    I am sorry but ALL the old ice dancers are far better skaters than any of the new generation will ever be. Blade controls and lines especially etc.
    Even Margaglio could show some of the actual ice dancers how to skate (and that pains me a lot since he used to skate on his flats !). It's not even comparable if you ask me since instead of quality we've been sold on quantity for the past 6 years. It's a trend, it'll change back at one point.
    And A&P are overall still better skaters than D&W or V&M.

And the SDs this year are truthfully awfull. D&W made a ... music choice that I personnaly regret. Their SD sucks like 90 to 95% of what I've seen so far.
    It's not the finnstep I'm sorry, it's the coach who have absolutly no creativity or ideas. When you can take advantage of shows like DWTS or SYTYCD where quicksteps have been done to modern ideas, I even call that stupidity. Instead of using that opportunity to try a more modern approach, nearly all went for music that sucks.

20. sequins

sequins Active Member

Sorry but I just gotta say something here ^ that's not always the case, nor is it the case that all V/M fans trash D/W. There's bad apples in both.

21. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

That's pretty much how I feel. Not an uber of ice dance or either one of these teams over the other. I'm capable of enjoying and appreciating both of them. I definitely have preferences for specific programs over others, that have been skated by each. Unfortunately, from what I saw at Finlandia (V/M) and SA (D/W), I don't really care for the either the SD's and FD's of either team. Oh, I acknowledge both teams are beyond competent and will execute them well, but I can't help but feel a little empty--that in this Olympic season for choice of music and choreography: "Huh, This was the Best you Could Come Up With?" And given that I feel the same way about the Shib's SD and FD also, I am about to come to the conclusion that the nexus of the problem is that Zoueva is sliding and in need of a creative rejuvenation herself.

22. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Yes, but all of the above is just your personal opinion. I might even agree on Zoueva needing to get more creative, but as far as Shez goes, it's the music Meryl and Charlie have been dreaming of skating to for years. I for one am glad that they get to make this dream come true in an Olympic season.

Do I wish they would have skated to more modern pieces Eleanor Rigby style throughout their career? I totally do. I was waiting for another ER for years and it never came and it does leave me with a little bit of bitterness. But on the other hand, I can just tell Shez is their music by the way they interpret it. I was not convinced at first, but in some cases it is the skating that makes you come around, not the music. I did not want them to skate to it, but they do and I'm loving it so much. It's definitely one of the best FDs they've had, if not the best one. I don't care if the music has already been used in skating. they feel it big time and I am sure as the season progresses we will see more and more of a soul put into it. In Sochi they will skate their hearts out, that I am sure of and simply cannot wait.

Besides, creativity-wise I still think Tessa and Scott's FD is even less.

And finally, P/B have been creative most of the time lately and look where it got them. Instead of being top contenders for the Sochi bronze, they are now named as the ones with the smallest chances of all the world's best teams.

23. comickiwi

comickiwi New Member

The new programs are amazing. The things they can do are just out of this world. I get sweaty palms watching them do all the difficult stuff NOW so I think I'm going to have a heart attack during Olympics!

The only thing I was trying to figure out were the costumes, like some of you here, I thought the colours didn't go too well. After looking around the web on Scheh ballets and most of the time the female lead was in variations of blue. Also, take a look at this pose. Just lovely...

Thanks to everyone for the video links, appreciate it so much. We don't get any winter sport coverage here...:(

24. PashaFan

Totally agree with you. Even more about The Shibutani's. Maybe playing safe is the best option. I just see so much talent yet the choreography does not back it up sometimes.

25. PashaFan

Are you inside my head ?!. I was so thinking about their ER free dance when I watched them at Skate America.
    I did not know that this seasons FD music was a dance they had always dreamed of skating to. (British Eurosport tell you NOTHING !).
    Also, I totally agree with you about P/B. I think their creative programes have come back to bite them in the bum. I LOVED their Rolling Stones free last season & had Meryl & Charlie or Tessa & Scott did that it would have been thought of as a classic.

26. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

At the moment situations on V&M thread is between comical and hysterical. Apparently - the Olympics are sold and seals to USFSA with Italy, France & Russia as the conspirators together with Zoueva.

COnsidering how competent and strong Virtue&Moir are - such things are insulting to them.

27. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I don't think P/B got in trouble for being modern. P/B got in trouble for being sloppy. In my opinion, of course, they just don't have the skill level to compete with today's teams. The only edge they have on these teams is seniority/experience. They're a much more mature team and they skate well together, but as soon as these newer teams gain speed, no pun intended, they just don't have it. I thought they were going to bow out when Tanith and Ben did to be honest.

28. PashaFan

I find them much more interesting than most couples. Why would they have gone after the 2010 season when they had a chance to move up. They have won two European titles. They have really improved since 2010.
    I have to say that I see something special in every Ice Dance couple (I think I'm getting old !).

29. fanofskate

fanofskate New Member

Don't think this was linked to yet: http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...orites-charlie-white-meryl-davis-winning-pair

I just love learning a little bit more about Charlie and Meryl from their moms, Jacqui and Cheryl. Makes me love D/W more...and of course, their supportive, loving, smart moms. It would be a sad day as a fan when D/W decide to retire as competitive skaters.

Re their programs, I love both of them. I could see more room for improvement...meaning...super programs come Olympics. In the icenetwork article, Charlie mentioned about the glitch in the FD spin and I see that he missed catching Meryl's foot at the beginning of the spin. Watch Oleg's reaction...

30. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

It kind of feels like comparing apples and oranges because ice dance when Marina and Gwendal skated was a whole different sport than it is now.
    But given how long it took for the "old" skaters to adjust to the new judging system/how difficult it was for them, I'm not sure I'd agree with the fact that they're far more better skaters. They're different skaters with different strength because they skated in a very different era and had a very different focus.