Davis & White #18: I Could've Danced All 1001 Nights

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TanithandBenFan, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

Loving this SD. Still think its need some additional choreographic touches, particularly in the beginning before the midline step sequence. But wow, just...wow. I was watching their blades, the little "bobs" of the head to the music during one of the sequences. I can't wait to see it again at NHK :D

2. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I actually dislike that black and white MFL dress very much. I hope Meryl does not wear anything like it, ever.

3. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

5. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Sorry -post duplicated when I tried to edit it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  6. Susan M

I hope so. I have been suspecting the Russians and French have been laying in the weeds looking for a sign of weakness in either D-W or V-M so they could set about torpedoing one of them in a bid to their teams up. (We've seen it before. Remember the odd results Fusar-Poli/Margaglio and Denkova/Staviiski suddenly got in the fall GP season leading into the 02 and 06 Olympics, respectively?)

I think Davis & White have improved so much over the past couple seasons. They were always athletic skaters, but now they have a control and grace and effortlessness about them. I was impressed at the British Eurosport guy's reaction. During the program he said simply "power with grace" then at the end of the SP he was inspired to this:

"Such athleticism and attack ... So much sharpness and attack and energy and yet a lightness and deftness of touch. ... They skate fast, they skate clean, they're sharp ... It's that razor edge of sharpness allied to the grace and the softness of delivering the dance as though it's easy and free. You're in the ballroom and it's just all happening."

I think the ISU always likes hearing their sport described with words like athleticism and attack. IMO for a while now D-W had a clear advantage over everyone else when it came to athleticism, but others were stronger at clean, grace, and effortless. IMO, Meryl & Charlie have pretty much closed that gap now.

7. Susan M

You guys are nuts. If the dancers are consciously ignoring the stories and the characters from the film, then the last thing they want to do is dress like the very characters that they are not portraying.

8. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I like the change to the SD lift very, very much! Tanith remarked in the IN coverage that having Meryl's leg across Charlie's front the way it does in this new version makes it tricky for him to rotate down the ice, but you'd never know it from the performance.

9. fanof

fanof New Member

I posted this:D great dance is real dance :D

10. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Oh c'mon Miss Negative Nancy, have some fun! This may be our last time doing this.

On another note, FD in 1 hr...can't wait!

mollymgr and (deleted member) like this.
  11. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

^So excited!! Just need to find a way to watch...

Best of luck to all the teams!

12. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Wow.

13. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

188.23 Total!! 112.53 for FD!!

They zoom into first place!!

14. Kaffeine

HOLY :eek:

I need a video. NOW.

15. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I liked the original dress in the film, but hated the replica worn here. I think it's one of those dresses that just can't be replicated successfully.

16. lmarie086

AWESOME.

ETA: Wyliefan, off-topic but LOVE your sig. I'm right there with you :)

17. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

They were incredible :swoon: They've really closed in some of the gaps in the choreography since SLC, everything looked stronger and more precise.

18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Beautiful performance!! I love the new chor. lift at the end. Yay!!

19. Kaffeine

Protocols!

Hm..3 Level 3s. So still plenty to build on.

I can't wait to see this :)

20. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

Wow, they were amazing. I'm glad they got the level 3s because their score is already so close to what they got last year at Worlds and there's still so much room for it to build and grow.

21. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

I am so glad we got to see two amazing programs. Meryl and Charlie were able to skate in front of their home crowd. Of course, they'll develop through the season which is part of the fun. And this season is so special and so exciting. :)

22. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

23. Kaffeine

I am loving all the new choreographic touches. No one can say this program is "empty."

24. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Congrats to Meryl and Charlie for not only their win at SA (which was expected, natch), but for their 12+ score :cheer2:.

For me what blows my mind is that their speed is beyond incredible, yet they make it flow without any semblance of seeming frantic whatsoever.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  25. lmarie086

Indeed! This is certainly a complex dance, and I hope they only continue to add details, and to add to the characters they're portraying.

You know, it's crazy to compare them to Vancouver D/W. The difference is striking.

26. rustyskater

rustyskater Active Member

No doubt they will win gold.

27. Kaffeine

28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Great!! I love Tanith, but she did yammer on during the performance. :)

29. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Ooh Thank you, that is very nice quality and I'm a sucker for commentary-less videos. I'm amazed at how unfazed they were by the bloodcurdling scream let out at the swoop lift. It made me jump for sure.:lol:

30. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Well-Known Member

Just got back from the free dance, and all I can say is WOW. This program just reinforced why Meryl and Charlie are the world champions, and it is 100 percent an Olympic program. They were head and shoulders above the rest and it was fantastic!!