Davis & White #18: I Could've Danced All 1001 Nights

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TanithandBenFan, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Right. M/C clearly left points on the table by messing up the twzzls. I don't think anyone should worry about the FD.

Let's be honest. Shez is head, shoulders, knees and toes over every other FD this season.
    The score speaks for itself!

Omg DaiMeryl fanart= WIN!!! MORE!!!
    Daisuke is working it in that picture!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I'm glad VM are staying close. I don't want to be lulled into a false sense of security then have the rug pulled out. DW always peak at the right time and I expect this Olympic season they will give it everything they got!

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

:respec: and the best part is MC gets to play the "hunter" at the Olympics.

This honestly makes GPF and the Olympics all the more exciting. From the looks of it, if both teams hit the SD, their scores are going to be extremely close. Neither team will be allowed a misstep.

MC's FD as of now (before seeing VM's FD tomorrow) is nearly "ready." just needs to get the other step sequence to level 4 and then polish like crazy.

What an exciting season! :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  4. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I really loved all the changes V/M made in their SD and I don't know if it's the acoustics at TEB or if they played with music, but the music cuts don't seem as abrupt. It's weird, it's been a long time, probably since the last Olympic season, that I've felt V/M SD (or OD) had as much, or in this case, more character and nuance than their FD. It also seems like they like the program more than their FD. Tessa looks a lot more comfortable. If I were them, my strategy would be to try to gain a bit of buffer with the SD to make up for the FD.

I'm a jazz girl, so they pretty much had me when they announced their SD music. I like D/W SD because of how well they skate it, they make me like it in it's entirety, but I do think I prefer V/M SD.

5. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I'm not wild about any of the SD's this year like I was last year (Giselle :swoon: ) but V/M's SD is lovely. If they both skate cleanly, I think it could go either way, and this may make me a bad uber, but I may have a slight preference to V/M's SD. However, Scheherazade owns me and I think it's the best FD this season.

6. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Active Member

I'm with you. I like the nuance in VM's SD choreography. I think it's the one thing lacking in MC's short this year. It's a fun program, but it needs a little more... something. LOL. It's late and I'm tired. I just think the choreography could stand to be "punched up" a little. Can't they get Derek back for another few sessions? :D

And like you, I feel like MC's free this year has a lot more going for it. The music is better, and the whole program just feels more cohesive. I'm sure VM's will improve/ change over the competitive season, but I think MC's will have the bigger impact. The overall concept is just better. Not that I'm biased or anything. ;)

7. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Yay!

mollymgr and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Kaffeine

Double yay!:)

E.A. Week, your request may have just been answered ;)

9. Jessiebanana

I might be biased :p, but I think it makes you a healthy sane person. The whole reason you love a team is for their programs. You're not their mom's. You don't love them, therefore you love everything they do best, right? So it makes sense that you can like and even prefer other things.

As a coach, Marina did a smashing job with the SD. I tried watching them back to back and it's nearly impossible to directly compare the two. They're both skated so differently it will really force the judges to score them independently. With the exception of the transition out of the compulsory. They both have that surprise pop of music and accompanying pose! I see you Marina.

10. Jessiebanana

I think the difficulty with adding more nuance to D/W SD is that their aiming for that "floating on ice feeling". Too much clutter would kill it. It's part of what I really like about the program. I think it's like Mahler in a way, a very pristine delivery of the program would have a huge impact. Mahler, wasn't Mahler, until the Olympics.

Not that I'm opposed to them trying, I just can see what difficulty is.

11. Jessiebanana

:eek: Wow

12. Kaffeine

Just a hunch, but Meryl and Charlie are going to be focusing on the SD for GPF and onwards.

The FD is a masterpiece that just needs polishing and mileage. I honestly can't see where any major changes need to occur other than upgrading the step sequence to lvl 4. And a different end pose :p Then it's just practice. They got record scores from the beginning of the season until now so it's definitely (IMO) ready for its debut against VM.

13. jobelle

jobelle Member

I know that comparing scores across competitions isn't always the best idea however the seeding for the GPF is based on total score (as the tie breaker which will determine skating order in the SD and all that). I've often that that it has been an advantage for DW at prior GPF that they have always gone in as the top qualifier. They get to skate last, after VM and I think that has somewhat helped their success there (they have not lost the SD all four times they have won at GPF). This year I think they should go in as top qualifiers again because I don't think that VM can get a FD score high enough to overtake DW's combined score. ... okay, I just checked, Scott and Tessa would have to score 117.99 to equal Meryl and Charlie's combined GP score. Is that score even POSSIBLE in Ice Dance?

Anyways, I'll also admit that Tessa and Scott have a fantastic SD this year and if both teams get their levels and skate cleanly it is very likely that VM could take the SD. However I always think it is an advantage to skate second in head to head battles and so for the GPF, at least, that might help DW. However, I think it all will come down to levels. I imagine that for clean skates the judges will give both teams similar PCS.

14. ~tapdancer~

DW still have the higher score in both of their GP comps for the SD, as compared to VM. Tenths of a point but I've never forgotten that .04!!

15. Kaffeine

and neither has Charlie ;)

16. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I agree on this point. Although it didn't get the levels, I thought Meryl & Charlie's NHK SD looked great, especially the last half, starting with the pattern dance. I just love how their short dance builds in energy and keeps a wonderful sense of buoyancy and fun throughout.

Of all the teams in the world this year, I feel like Meryl & Charlie are the only ones who really perform the Finnstep and make it sing. The other teams are all doing the Finnstep, but you can feel the concentration & carefulness, whereas with Meryl & Charlie I just simply enjoy the dance. They fly through it with such lightness and ease. And then the last section of their SD just builds on that feeling.

Tessa & Scott's SD is nice and I liked it better here than at SkateCanada. I agree the music cuts seemed better somehow, less strident. I do love jazz, so of course I enjoy their music. Whereas I'm not that keen on My Fair Lady, the score of which, I feel, rides a very fine line between joyfulness and, well, cheesiness. Despite this, though, I do prefer Meryl & Charlie's SD and I am satisfied with their "handling" of My Fair Lady. I think they're getting the best out of the music, while being careful to avoid the cheese factor (which other teams would either fall victim to or even play up).

The interesting thing about quickstep dances is that they're so enjoyable, yet at the same time they tend to lack emotional intensity. So you have to work hard to find something special in the dance to make it stand out. To me, the only teams to have successfully done that this year are Meryl/Charlie and (I can't believe I'm writing this) Ilinykh/Kastalapov. Meryl/Charlie's SD embodies the lightness and joyfulness of the quickstep. Elena/Nikita's SD isn't as technically difficult but it does, for me, embody the sensuality and passion of two people in love dancing together. Tessa/Scott's SD is nice, but I'm just not left with a strong impression of what their dance is all about. Just my opinion of course.

mollymgr and (deleted member) like this.
  17. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Well, I don't particularly dig jazzy, for me it's usually a total snoozefest and i do think some of V/M's moves at the beginning of their program look a bit OTT/silly, but my personal taste aside I gotta admit it's a great SD that will give Meryl and Charlie a run for their money. D/W's SD is truly lovely and IMO much easier and more pleasant to watch, but these are not exactly things that matter in the score. I know they are perfectly capable of beating V/M with this SD IF they hit the levels, the question here is WHETHER they will. I'm not gonna lie, I would sleep better knowing they've got that midline to level 4 already. It's really gonna come down to levels between these SDs. Shez is hands down better than V/M's FD, so no worries here.

18. Kaffeine

I can't imagine Davis and White entering GPF without fixing the midline and making sure everything is level 4. Their mindset isn't "Oh give VM the SD, we'll take the FD" They want it ALL. If they hit it, we look at a 75-76 score (not even taking the GOE/PCs into consideration). Right on par with VM. Marina is brilliant..she gave them two different SDs, both capable of hitting the high 70s if skated well.

I almost feel they've worked on the FD more at the start of the season than the SD--perhaps because it's so choreographically complex with different changes in mood, speed, new lifts, having to tell the story, difficult footwork (that circular sequence :swoon: ), difficult entrances and exits in their elements. It would take longer to get used to doing all that. Charlie is looking a little less winded than he did at SLC where I thought he was going to need oxygen. It's now at the point where we're nitpicking things like the end pose and Meryl's skirt :rofl:

19. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Bottom line: both teams are talented and have great work ethics. All we can do is hope for clean skates and good judging and then sit back and enjoy the show.

20. Jessiebanana

I agree about capturing the spirit of the dance. I didn't expect V/M to though. Light and uplifting is something they just don't do well. Perhaps it's why I never bought FF (though I just thought FF was cheesy in general). I think they've sort of turned into something else that works for them. D/W are definitely capturing the spirit. They got lucky draws with the polka and finnstep. It's much better suited for them than the tango at the last olympics.

21. ~tapdancer~

TEB FD is in the books. Believe it or not, I/K beat V/M and P/B in TES. Not by much but still. VM had 2 deductions and got hit on some levels and scored 105. Have to laugh at some (not all) of the VM ubers blaming both Blumberg and Marina. Funny they were fine with Blumberg's calls in the SD. But anyway, DW go into the GPF as the top team, nearly 13 points (total) ahead of VM no less. There hasn't been that much of a spread between them ever, not even when DW were behind them, if I recall correctly but I'd have to check on that. VM are still a lovely team but I still say that they have not improved much in 4 years, they are somewhat static. They were wonderful back in 2010 and they still have that quality (hence their great PCS scores) but technically they have been static and they just don't have that sharpness. Perhaps injury took its toll over the long term, I don't know. D/W have steadily improved from 2010, they needed to. I think it shows in their dances and definitely shows in their scores.

22. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

The GPF will be a barn-burner for the SD for sure. Hope they come out on top, even by .04, so they can skate last in the free. Shez is such a crowd pleaser, it would close the competition wonderfully.

23. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

The GPF is in Japan too. They will go crazy over D/W, even if they don't skate last. Remember their reaction to Notre Dam at 4CC? I felt sorry for V/M (well not really lol) for skating AFTER M/C.

Wow. So I/K beat V/M in TES and won 2nd over P/B? Damn. :lol:

24. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

The scores really don't mean a whole lot right now except for aiding the skaters/coaches to gauge where they are at in the season and making appropriate changes. I'm most excited to see what changes they made to their free dance with Alex. :cheer2:

25. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Not that it matters now, but a perfect ice dance FD score currently (with the base value/GOE as it is now) is 120.5 (straight level fours, straight +3s, straight 10s)

26. Kaffeine

VM had a bad skate. It happens. I still won't count them out and I'm sure neither will DW. GPF is sure to be exciting and a nail biter.

I don't get the blame game though. It's either " I love Marina!" "I hate Marina!" That gets tiresome over time.

27. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I think TEB scores were all over the place. Very high scores for everyone in the SD. I/K beating V/M in TES and P/B overall. The same I/K who finished 4th behind the Shibs not longer than A WEEK AGO, losing their FD TES to G/P. I/K who jumped from 94 last week to 102 this week. This was just a strange competition. I'm very curious what will happen in the GPF, where strangely enough, I/K will not perform.

Wow, ice dancing this season is such a mess :lol: So glad Meryl and Charlie seem to be way above of all of this and safe from it so far.

28. rustyskater

rustyskater Active Member

Yes. The TEB scores were different. When was the last time DW or VM lost the technical mark to another team? What does this say about the VM free?

29. ~tapdancer~

I never count VM out, far from it. To me, though, they are pretty much the same as they were 4 yrs ago and their FD emphasizes that to me. Just my opinion of course. I agree that the GPF will be exciting.

30. Jessiebanana

Russian ice dancers, magically besting teams they normally don't come close to, right before the Olympics in Russia. WOW. I. AM. SO. SURPRISED.
    Said no one ever.

I like their programs more this year than I ever have, but :rolleyes: your obvious Russia. Very obvious.
    I don't think this says much about V/M. It's more about the P word.