Davis & White #18: I Could've Danced All 1001 Nights

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TanithandBenFan, Oct 18, 2013.

1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Two of those links were from Vancouver and the others were from October. :rolleyes: No one said they didn't have any NBC promotion, but should have more considering they are Olympic medalists and World Champions.
  2. emka

emka New Member

Recent media coverage of D-W
    http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/09/daviswhite-lead-ice-dance-russian-pair-wins-in-tokyo/
    http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/09/daviswhite-dance-to-nhk-trophy-crown/
    http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/20...a-ice-dancing-figure-skating-tatsuki-machida/
    http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/spor...ting-Meryl-Davis-Charlie-White-228342791.html

Everyone watch less TV, more internet now what do you expect :rofl: Even D-W make friends with judges on Facebook, this is smart journey to Sochi :rofl:
    They do great PR work on Twitter just ask Tanith Belbin and Evan Bates :rofl:
  3. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Member

To say nothing of Gracie being neither a National champion nor a World or Olympic or GPF medalist. She's been on one World team and has not had the best GP season this fall. Meanwhile, DW are Olympic silver medalists, 2-time World champs, 5-time National champions, and 4-time GPF champs. Based only on competitve results, it's hardly unreasonable to wonder why they aren't featured more prominently in NBC's advertising for Sochi.
  4. emka

emka New Member

Why must D-W get featured in this Pandora Skating Special if they are not even skating in it :rofl: Gracie is sponsored by Pandora, this show is called Pandora unforgettable holiday moments on ice not Kelloggs on Ice or Ralph Lauren on ice or Puffs on Ice or Judy Blumberg and co on ice :lol::lol:
  5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Wow, you took the time to research articles on a team you don't seem to like? :huh:
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  6. emka

emka New Member

D-W are not same thing as D-W ubbers ;)
  7. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Member

Very possible. It's still frustrating to see the attention Gracie gets in general, given she doesn't really have the competitive record IMO to back up the hype. I'd rather not see MC ignored until 2 days before the dance competition in Sochi, then declared losers or chokers if they don't take gold. Just call me a crazy "ubber." :D
  8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

These comments don't really support the idea that you like D/W, but you just don't like their fans.
  9. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Member

I should have added--sponsors might really want to think about who they sign up, and NBC might also want to think about who they hype to hell and back. Wasn't there a US pairs team that Coke sponsored, and they didn't even make the team for the Olympics? LOL, oops! :)
  10. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

ITA! And I also don't understand why Gracie gets so much hype in general. She's got amazing potential to be really really good, but I don't think we will see the best she can give until later on in her career, and I think she should be aiming for 2018 olympics in terms of medals. Whereas Ashley gets significantly less promotion than Gracie (although she has been getting a lot more as of late) despite being our best shot at a medal outside of dance, and Meryl and Charlie get almost none despite being our only realistic chance at gold in figure skating! It is very frustrating.
  11. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Just don't feed the trolls. There is obviously very little logic or purpose behind their arguments other than to provoke. Unfortunately, ice dance isn't a priority here. I still don't get Gracie though. I would much prefer to see Adam or Jason in a promo...even if Meryl and Charlie are the only locks for the team.
  12. lauren329

lauren329 Member

Wow a few Internet articles (and Evan Bates on Twitter?)- that really makes your case. Remember in the 90s when skaters had children's books, multiple commercials endorsing products, billboards prior to the Olympics? Meryl & Charlie are barely even featured in NBC's own Olympic promotion. Keauna and Rockne were pushed harder before Vancouver than the reigning ice dance world champions are currently. Don't understand how a few online articles (which will probably only be seen by skating fans who are looking for them) is indicia of some big (nonexistent) U.S. media push. But if you need to believe that to justify the results, go right along living in delusion-ville.

Its sad that the delusions of V/M fans are starting to color how I view their skating. And I rooted for their win in Vancouver and LOVED their Carmen.
  13. Tweak

Tweak New Member

Um seriously? Delusions of V/M?
  14. emka

emka New Member

:eek: D-W ubbers cannot stay on subject long :eek:
  15. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

The last two posters are the same people. I guess they can't keep their identities straight.
  16. Tweak

Tweak New Member

?? Um, actually No. I quoted emka's post in response before removing it altogether: She added her latest snippet to her post #926 which I quoted but deleted because she removed it and put it in a separate post below (#934). Knowing she deleted her quote I removed my post which was a response to her (in which I hit Save right after deleting my response, but not before deleting her quote, which as a result only appears as her quote). I then replaced my post with a question about the "delusions" issue since I figured I already created a post, but whatever.
    If someone has a screenshot of this whole page from the first post on this page to the latest one you'll see what I'm talking about.
    FYI, what I was going to respond to emka's post about "not staying on subject long" was that the subject seems to veer away from actually analysing the skating.
  17. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

I think regardless of the outcome, its safe to say they're going to give 110% of themselves out there on the ice. This is not a team known for skating "tentative" or "holding back."
  18. bronwynsings

Imagine a promo featuring Meryl and Charlie, Jason, and Ashley and Adam doing something together... That would be awesome :D
  19. lauren329

lauren329 Member

Its UBER. There is no such word as "ubber." If you're going to infiltrate this D/W thread and use that in every post, please spell correctly.

Back to D/W, I'm hoping for a return of the lavender SD dress this week.
  20. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Whovever is Tweak, her/his reaction to "delusions of V.M" is completely understandable and justified. It's one thing to talk about "delusions" of V/M ubers (which not all of them have, anyway), but to ascribe those "delusions" to V/M themselves is something else entirely.
  21. lauren329

lauren329 Member

That has been edited. It should have read "V/M fans." I wish Tessa/Scott all the best. Not really sure why this conversation even started in the D/W thread (or what certain posters are doing in this thread) but apologies if someone was personally offended.

Again attempting (probably in vain) to steer the convo back to D/W, I have zero issue with NBC opting to hype Gracie to the heavens as a hopeful. Barring injury she's going, she's beautiful, she helped secure the 3 spots & silly or not her name is too perfect for an Olympic ice skater. I just wish Meryl and Charlie, the reigning world champions and serious contenders for gold, were getting a similar push. There's plenty to work with- silver medalists who want gold, together since childhood, the one title they don't have...These promos write themselves.
  22. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

24. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Too many to say but that performance started me on my uber path!
  25. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I would venture to say that since it appears the U.S. is very pro-ladies, there often appears to be more national focus on them before the largest competition of the season. In Canada, that would be the men. Dance in both countries takes a back seat to these two disciplines.
  26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I think Nationals was the performance of the season for that FD. :)
  27. bronwynsings

I absolutely love their Notre Dame program. I feel like I'm in the minority but that one really stands out as one of their best. That spiral is :swoon:
  28. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Nice list, shsocu. :)

First performance of theirs I saw in real time. I remember sneaking into a room where I could have a tv to myself and standing in front of it, clutching my blanket, I was embarrassed to be watching figure skating. :lol: And I nearly died when I heard Dick Button call it "sexual." :rofl: I feel like D/W's FD was even on NBC's website, but my memory may be failing me.

What a journey it has been.
  29. shan

shan Well-Known Member

"clutching my blanket" :lol:

In case you've forgotten:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc9K5Bny3JE
  30. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I know, I sound like Linus from the Peanuts with his blanket. :lol: It was January, man!

Wow, I haven't seen that video in ages (and it's my video :D). I'm so happy I recorded that bit for posterity! It says something that Dick Button had such a visceral reaction to it, he was able to see their unique quality from the start. Necessary D/W fan viewing.
  31. Jessiebanana

Whenever I watch these older performances I sort of miss their rough wildness. I'm glad Meryl improved her lines and posture and that Charlie doesn't kick up ice, but there was a raw...dare I say sexual energy :rofl:, that was captivating.

I think people are quick to say they're technicians and they flourish under the current system because of it, but I think their early skating would've done well under 6.0 as well.
  32. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

You're definately not in the minority I adore ND I watch it all the time it just builds and builds !
  33. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

ND is definitely one of my faves! Every performance just got better and better! Love that spiral, too. Ah heck, I love all their programs!
  34. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

If Meryl and Charlie win the Olympic Gold, do people think they will go on to compete at Worlds? Or will they be so busy with opportunities that it would be difficult to return to training? The "shelf life" of Winter Olympians these days is kind of fleeting.
  35. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I hope they will go on to Worlds - it might be hard for the US to keep 3 spots in dance without them, and there are so many good dancers in the US, that would be a shame. H&D, C&B, and S&S are all at about the same level, so we could get 6th & 8th and 9th and still not qualify 3 spots. It depends how many teams retire, of course, but if M&C were the only team to retire pre Worlds, it could work out that way.
  36. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

I think they will go to worlds. It would be fitting, their first senior worlds was in Japan and this may be their last :(
  37. Jessiebanana

M/C seem like the type to finish the season and it would be a nice thank you to Japanese fans *but* Meryl and Charlie on DWTS competing against each other. Make it happen, whoever is their PR person.
  38. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Yes! I totally agree! Their uncontrolled wildness might have costed them a few points here and there back in the days, but there was something really captivating about it! It's actually one of the first things about them that caught my attention. It was one of the things that made them charming.
    Of course I am glad they have matured, calmed down, improved technically, but sometimes I do miss that good old wildness. call me crazy, but their 2008 CoR performance had a huge influence on me becoming their fan. I was totally charmed by Charlie's wild enthusiasm :lol: To this day I find that performance adorable, even if most people find it awful :p

I love their ER Worlds version, maybe because I didn't follow them that season yet and it was the first time I saw that dance. It was magic. And I totally loved their costumes.
    Of course I totally agree with all of shsocu's choices as well. But I would add POTO from Vancouver to the list.

As for this season, I've been thinking about the metaphore of Finnstep as the "sparkling champagne" and I must say Meryl and Charlie's SD is just that. Light, bubbly, energetic and fun, but elegant. Seriously, you cannot make a dance portray sparkling champagne any better than that. I think this term fits the dance perfectly. Meryl and Charlie are spot on with this definition.
  39. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Member

Here's an interesting lesson in contrasts:

OD from Worlds 2007, Tango: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moJvgUntpIc

FD from Worlds 2011, also Tango: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf2uhamkdNw

What a difference four years made!

The competition that sealed my complete and utter uber-dom for this team, however, was the 2011 GPF. This is still probably my favorite performance of Die Fledermaus--just marvelous, effortless, lighter than air. This was also my favorite performance of their Latin SD.

Short: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il4nROri0Hw

Free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZSzLIs9S24

It's actually easier for me to make a list of their programs I don't like, and it would include only one program: Phantom. I pretty much love all the others. :swoon:
  40. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

:lol: at clutching your blanket. That Dick Button moment was so priceless! I was at the event and a friend texted me what he said, and I couldn't wait to get home and see it myself. :lol: I had scammed seats close to the ice, and my lasting memory of that performance was when M&C came right at us, powering into the circular footwork with breakneck speed and abandon, and I just went, "WHOA." At the end my sister and I were both speechless. We looked at each other like, "We just saw something totally amazing."