Davis & White #18: I Could've Danced All 1001 Nights

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TanithandBenFan, Oct 18, 2013.

1. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Member

2. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

3. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

That's awesome about the Finnstep levels! Wonder what caused the midline to be level 3.

Still, such a great great skate for so early in the season. I'm over the moon happy :D

4. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Thank you for the videos!

I'm so excited for the Shibs FD. It's perfect for them. They're so funny and Alex is such a drama king, this is going to be brilliant...and they're foot work is so neat and precise I have zero worries this will look like an exhibition.

5. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Loved the SD.:encore:Loved the costumes. I think the pink dress looks very pretty on her.:encore:The one from SLC was blending in with the ice.
    Can't wait for the free dance tomorrow.:cheer2:

6. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Beautiful! They look confident already and its just the start of the season! Great score...I'm :confused: though over the level 3 for the midline, I thought it was gorgeous. But as Tanith was pointing out very nicely, it only takes one not so clean edge to drop a level. I didn't see it, but then again I'm not the caller! And Tanith didn't say that about D/W, she had mentioned it earlier on in the competition when she was talking about levels and how to look for subtle mistakes. She's a great commentator for ice dance, btw!

7. Kaffeine

8. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

She really is. TBH, she's the most informed intelligent commentator we've had for the US in a while.

I'm loving Meryl in different colors and the music is growing on me. I really love the program now.
    I even like the eggplant with the teal...okay I might be on the Davis/White crack, but it's so good :swoon:.
    Sometimes when D/W and V/M fail to get level 4s I wonder what the hell a level 4 looks like...cause they've pretty much set the bar at an unattainable level.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  9. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

10. Kaffeine

Still not sold on that pink dress. But since that's only thing I have to nitpick about..;)

The program is much better than at SLC. Still room to improve which is great. Best of all, they looked like they were really enjoying themselves and into the program. Selling it like crazy. I can't wait until December when they another 5-6 weeks of training under their belts. :swoon:

11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

12. Liz V

Liz V New Member

I think Meryl's dress is stunning and she looks like she could be the ballerina that dances at the top of a jewelry box. :)

13. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

14. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I love the back of the dress so much. The simplicity of the front doesn't quite do it for me, but Meryl looks divine no matter what!

15. Kaffeine

I wish I had Meryl's arms. She might be tiny but that girl is pure muscle.

16. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Her arms/shoulders are so impressive.

17. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

18. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

That's a really great vid-the audio and video are well synchronized, and it makes such a difference :)

19. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

20. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Seriously!!

Thanks for all the links -- love the lift video and the article about their moms! They seem like such nice, low-key people.

21. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Thank you! The Russian version was such a poor quality I couldn' entirely enjoy it.

And wow, what a skate! I liked it soooo much better than in SLC. Perhaps it's also because of the camera work, it can definitely change the entire perception if done professionally.

Love how bright and happy and bubbly they were. That pink dress looks amazing in movement and Meryl looks beyond lovely in it.

Very happy about the level 4s on Finnstep. I don't see the midline level 3 as a problem, if anyone can pull off an amazing level 4 midline, it's Meryl and Charlie and I'm sure they will bounce back.

Also loved the commentary about their "power with grace". That's exactly what they are!

22. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

It was wonderful seeing it live! So fast and light, I couldn't even hear their blades, like Kozuka. No complaints from me. ;)

23. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

Question: if I wanted to meet Meryl and Charlie at Skate America (and other skaters for that matter) how would I go about doing it? I have never been to a skating event and would love to meet some of my favorites in person, but I definitely do not want to be a pain or go about it in an impolite way. :)

I was in love with the lavender dress from SLC, so I was not happy they changed it. However, the dress really does move well... when she does her twizzles the skirt really helps them look like their floating!

Best of luck to Meryl and Charlie, the Shibs, and all of the other competitors!

24. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

What a lovely performance! Meryl and Charlie were so light across the ice, and they have such wonderful knee bend throughout the dance. I can't wait to see this SD develop, and I really hope it does. They are lovely to watch, but I feel like the SD could be more. The choreography specifically, could be more.

25. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

The CD steps were markedly improved. I also liked it better than last time but two things still bug me -

1. I wish they would add some percussion or something to the music for the stationary steps (Steps 34-42 in the CD pattern). As it is, the music is tootling along just as it was, giving no indication why the dancers should suddenly stop and start dancing on their toepicks. They are doing steps with no notes and it just feels too random.

2. I still think the transition back to the final vocal cut needs work. They are quickstepping along, then start gliding with one leg bent, waiting for the music change. Once the vocal comes one, they go into what feels like an entirely different dance.

26. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that clip. What a wonderful way to start my Saturday! This dance just keeps growing on me, it is really lovely and I for one am going to not nitpick and just enjoy it!

27. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I agree! Of course there's always room for improvement but its a lovely, lyrical SD and it will only get better! I think its fantastic for the start of the season and I'm loving it!

28. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

29. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Looking at the scores I was a little concerned that Anna and Luca's TES score was so close to Meryl and Charlie's but then I realized it was because of that midline level 3. And then I realized they dropped a level (that's 1.50 of base value) and still outscored them in TES and I stopped worrying :p

I've been reading different threads now and people tend to think the Italians look strong enough to snatch the silver in Sochi. I'm not convinced about that, but I wouldn't mind them taking the bronze. And I would just LOVE to see them win the Europeans. P/B still have a warm spot in my heart, but I have a feeling they will be Delobel/Schoenfelder of this season, which is sad, but likely. If I were the Russians, I would start worrying about Anna and Luca, they seem to be peaking at just the right moment of their career.

Anyway, it is kinda cool to read the competition threads and see people naming Meryl and Charlie as the sole favourites for the gold. It took a hell lot of time, but finally people perceive them as world's #1, which is beyond awesome.

30. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member