Davis & White #17: "They're more than good. They're Gr-r-reat!"

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TanithandBenFan, Aug 19, 2013.

1. sykr

sykr Guest

As for FD costume, I know it will never happen, but I'd actually like to see Meryl wear something like this http://figureskating.free.fr/9619211.jpg I really love the "harem" pans (it is so typicam for Sheherezade:swoon: )and I really liked them on Mao. And technicaly, "Ladies must wear a skirt" doesn't mean that ladies can't wear a shirt and pants:p But I guess the judges wouldn't appreciate it a lot, they didn't even at times of A/P, so they had to change it:( But all in all, I'm sur the dress will be cool, Meryl have a fantastic taste:)
  2. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

White tie/white beaded ball gown would work but is perhaps more literal than they want. IMO the black/white Ascot dress would be all wrong for the music choices and story of the SP (not to mention really hard to get to look right in a short dress you could actually move in).

Actually, for I Could Have Danced All Night, the literal choice would be a flannel nightgown for Meryl. :slinkaway
  3. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

:rofl: I bet you're right about the tux!
  4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  5. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

So I now hope for Meryl in a two-piece ensemble and Charlie in his good ol' tux. Perhaps including the tie this time. :lol:
  6. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

THIS, I want this. I didn't even care about pants two minutes ago, but now I do. Because Meryl is so petite she pulls off the half naked thing well.
  7. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

8. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I think we all know that the job of Charlie's costume is just to compliment Meryl's costume without distracting from it. Meryl's costume is where it is at.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the MFL costumes because most of the dresses from that film are very light in color and Meryl does tend to wear stronger colors. I sort of wonder if she'll end up wearing black. They may end up not taking such a literal approach to these costumes. I guess we'll possibly find out in a week. (Or we'll get the practice versions rather than the more final versions. Who knows.)
  9. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

She could take a dress form derivative of a ballroom dance (but with a shorter skirt) and then just add some touches reminiscent of the beaded dress and/or the ascot dress. So it doesn't scream MFL but be a slight tribute.
  10. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Salt Lake City is such a ridiculously good deal ticket price and talent wise, I just looked at airline prices. As if I could pick up and leave family, job etc. But it sure is tempting....
    shan and (deleted member) like this.
  11. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

Aww! Cute! I wish there was a way to zoom in on those pics.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...iew-quot-Trapped-between-Navka-and-Kostomarov
    Alexander Zhulin quotes about Meryl/Charlie:

"I have never seen a World champion who were unworthy of this title. I don't remember. There are intrigues, but ask me who should have won World championships last year, I'd say: those who did. We have lived for many, many years in this big family called «figure skating». Everyone makes their living as they can. But do what you want, everything gets back where it should be.

AS: At the same time, you repeatedly said that Meryl Davis and Charlie White are not your favorite team.

AZ: Nevertheless, I saw that they were better technically, stronger and overall better prepared than we. I saw it. No one canceled skating, I repeat. You skate so that Davis/White cannot outskate you. But they outskated them, so it means they wanted it more, they worked for it more. Yes, Virtue and Moir are good, I like them... Mine — are good! But worse than Davis/White."

:encore::respec:
  12. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Can I just say, in light of the speculation about costumes (which I cannot wait to see, Meryl never disappoints!), I really hope Meryl has a yellow costume. She looked stunning in the yellow dress for the SLY exhibition.

Can't wait for next week! It's so close that it's almost worse than the waiting all summer.
  13. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Member

Not to beat a dead horse that's probably already been flogged a million times, but VM lost this year's World title in the short dance. They had two significant errors, which put them in a hole, point-wise, that they couldn't get out of unless MC had a huge problem in their freedance. It wouldn't have mattered if VM had given the skate of a lifetime in the free (which they didn't)--they would still have lost. I wish "experts" like Zhulin would remember things like this when giving their thoughts on an event. It's fine to say that he prefers VM to DW, but would it kill him to acknowledge that VM lost the title with their mistakes in the short dance? MC won because they had two clean programs, and that's how you win in figure skating.
  14. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

When I saw it was a Zhulin interview I got a little freaked--until the end!
  15. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure what part of this interview you are reacting to? He said that the people who won deserved to win.
  16. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same :confused:.
  17. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

I was being sarcastic.:shuffle: But that's okay, it takes a while for some people to discover that trait of mine.
    However, Charlie has had awesome costumes. Gotta give him credit when credit is due.
    IIRC is this the same guy that criticize D/W a year or two ago? I might be thinking about someone else.

Anyways, everyone knows that Meryl and Charlie are the #1 team now (even though some are still in the denial stage). Nothing new, Zhulin. ;)
  18. mia joy

mia joy New Member

:respec: :lol:
    Ha! They are, aren't they? I mean, for real. They've worked so damn hard for it, I'm so proud of them. Nothing makes me more happy (well, skating wise, at least ;)) than to see them entering the Olympic season undefeated, as reigning World champions.

I feel pretty confident about them in Sochi. They've done everything they could and more, now they should just go with the flow, do their job and enjoy every second of this season - their season, I hope.
  19. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Yes!

I'll say this now, before the actual competitions start.

Dear Meryl and Charlie fans, ubers and haters,
    If you go to an event where Meryl and Charlie are at PLEASE take lots of pictures (good ones!), take LOTS of video footage of them everywhere you see them. That includes: Practices, Warm-ups, Exhibition practices, Gala practices, everything! I'm sorry if I come off as greedy, but I for one, REALLY get a kick out of seeing Meryl and Charlie outside of actually performing. Especially at gala practices. It's fun seeing who they interact with and playing around.
    V/M fans, feel free to contribute.

Thanks, Jiazumi
    P.S. (I'm going to copy-pasta this in Javi's thread and Dai's too, so don't report this as spam.)
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  20. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I'll do my best this season to get some practice non-performance footage :) Starting next week!!!!
  21. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I'll do my best to capture a lot at Skate America!
  22. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Member

I think it's more his tone. Maybe I'm reading too much meaning into his remarks, but this sounds to me like he doesn't think MC are very good, but they "wanted it more, worked for it more," and so they won. Like they don't have much talent, just good work ethic. Admittedly, this could just be me being a hypersenstive DW uber. ; ) Something in his remarks was off-putting to me, and I'm not sure if it's the way he phrased things or the way I'm interpreting them. Or maybe both.
  23. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

You are not the only one. It is pretty clear that those comments were backhanded compliments. As a D/W uber, you should already know how commonplace those are. :p
  24. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Member

Yes, "backhanded compliment!" Thanks for finding the words I was groping around for. I'm moving this weekend (the first of two moves, actually), and it's eaten my brain. I'm glad MC's first competition of the season will be over the weekend when I'm between moves. :eek:

On the brighter side, I got a tablet the other day, and one of the first things I did was go to You Tube and see how a video of MC skating would look. Man, Giselle looked amazing! :D
  25. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Aw, don't worry over it. Like mollymgr said, it's pretty commonplace and we ubers who have been here for years have had to put up with it for a long time. I don't worry over it because DW's results more than speak for themselves. And not just that, I personally have loved every minute of watching them skate through the years and believe me, they have plenty of admirers.
  26. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Zhulin who once said that they were almost like machines, or was that another Russian dance coach. As another D/W uber, I took offense to that comment as well. :mad:
  27. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

28. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

29. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

Uh oh. Sorry for starting a negative drift on the thread. I, naive me, didn't see anything wrong with his comments. I thought he was being sincere. :(
  30. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

Maybe they're filming some Skate America promos?