Davis & White #17: "They're more than good. They're Gr-r-reat!"

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TanithandBenFan, Aug 19, 2013.

1. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

2. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

Love the video TanithandBenFan. Also love the phrase at the end "Earn your Stripes."

3. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Good choice for them. Who else skated to Scherezade(can't spell it) that is a pair team or dance team. Can't remember. It was a while ago.

4. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Blumberg & Siebert USA 1984
    Pushkash & Kiselev RUS in juniors a few years back

5. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Marina gets a lot of flack as a choreographer/coach(personally I think she is amazing) But I have to take my hat off to her if she has the two top teams that are vying for gold in a Russian composer dance-off.
    Brilliant. I can't wait to see what these teams are going to bring.
    One team is picking familiar music that is perfect for them with the drama element of its story
    And one team is picking less familiar music with sweeping waltzes from a ballet that also seems perfect for them.

It is going to suck to be a judge.

6. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I can agree with all of the above.

7. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I am really happy with Scheherazade, so I hope that hint is what we think. I'm almost more curious about the SD.

8. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

OT: Can anyone tell what book Meryl is holding in this pic?

9. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

10. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Charlie's summer cut is slowly cocooning into the season's curly butterfly masterpiece.

This truly means autumn is on the horizon.

11. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

I will kick and scream and throw a tantrum like a little girl if they really did choose Schez. Especially for THIS season.

12. Kaffeine

Hm..took another look at Charlie's tweet. Sesame street was filmed in New York City IRCC. That could be a clue in itself.

13. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

We're going to be sitting here watching every episode of Sesame Street trying to pick things out.

I'm going to assume this is their FD music.

14. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Before Charlie's tweet, where did the Scheherezade hint actually come from? I must have missed something.

15. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I think Scheherazade could work well for Davis and White as it does have power and drama as well as slower moments. However, because it is so overused, I wish they were skating to something else. I'm sure I'll enjoy their program regardless of what they are skating to since I love their skating so much. I would have loved for them to skate to something like Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D, Movements 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgrUb2IS9sI and 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77DgEqwRnrA, but I think if their choice is Scheherazade, then I'll learn to love it.

16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

AFAIR, didn't the hint come from Doppio Axel, the Italian website?

17. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Yeah, on their FB page, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

18. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'm sort of impressed that, when you guys have a dream about Meryl and Charlie, they are actually skating (even if badly). Whenever I dream about public figures, they are always doing something weird. If I dreamed about Meryl and Charlie, they'd probably be learning baton twirling or shopping for cheese or something.

19. mollymgr

The group photo is up.

20. TanithandBenFan

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Re-posting Charlie's tweet & photo yesterday from the Champs Camp thread in GSD:
    "Reppin those school colors at the Olympic Training center #goblue #goteamusa" http://instagram.com/p/dQX5KxMT6S/

22. TanithandBenFan

23. mollymgr

24. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

In the Sesame Street theme song, kids keep asking "can you tell me how to get to sesame street" so I'm thinking we should look to the lyrics. The words that jumped out at me were "It's a magic carpet ride Every door will open wide"

To me that sounds like either Steppenwolf or Aladdin. (Personally, I think I'd take Scheherazade over either of those, tho I do kind of feel that music is cursed for US skaters.)

25. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily feel like it's over done, at least not for ice dance, but I'm not excited for it either. It's Meryl and Charlie though, so whatever they announce I'll eventually get on board.

Also I always love their OD/SD so even if I dislike the FD I know I'll have the SD.

26. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I almost think exactly what the music is doesn't matter as long as the choreography is really strong. If people think it's overused, then they think it's overused but if the program is actually great, the way DF and Giselle were great, it won't matter if we've heard the music before. Shez isn't really overused in ice dance, but it also isn't a choice that is going to get people really intrigued. Obviously we'd all sort of wish they made a music choice that everyone would instantly love (in the fantasy world where every figure skating fan agreed on one thing) or something that would immediately stand out, like the Indian OD, but they are certainly capable of convincing people.

In fact, if it is Shez, it's not a terribly different choice than Giselle. Giselle is used quite commonly in figure skating but not so much in ice dancing and the majority of people were skeptical/not excited when they chose it. In the end, though, I think it was one of the most universally liked programs of the season.

But Marina's choreography doesn't always turn out that way, so for me the real question is going to be "what does it look like" not "what music is it too". Because Meryl and Charlie have also had the occasional program that the general public had trouble warming up to.

This is rambling. Whatever the music choice is, if the choreography is great and is really right for them, they are going to own it. So I'm less worried about the music than the program itself. (Although I'm not sure "worried" is the right word since I don't really believe they are going to come out with a bad program this year.)

27. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I sort of agree, but not quite. If I hear Requiem for a Dream, Carmen, or El Tango de Roxanne again in the next decade I will shoot myself in the face and there is no amount of awesome choreography that will make it okay.

But I do get that good choreography (and skating) can make music come alive, especially when you have people like Meryl and Charlie that can play to the nuances and quick changes of tempo. For the most part I do like Marina's choreography, she's not perfect, no one is, but I can't think of anyone better. Also, with the top teams, it's hard to know exactly where they're inserting their input.

28. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I'm sorry, but if music wasn't important, skaters would compete without it. Music is a HUGE part of the program, of the whole package. Choreography without music is just a bunch of figures, music makes it tell a story, come to life and astonish us. Music is a huge deal, especially in the Olympic season.

Why was Giselle such an amazing program? IMO mostly because the music and the choreography were so incredibly compatibile. I have never seen a figure skating program which would suit its music so well. This is what made this program for me. Agreed that music alone is far for making a great program, but choreography is not enough either. They are being put together for a reason.

I do believe Meryl and Charlie can make a masterpiece out of anything, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed. Of course IF they're really doing Sheherezade (which I'm almost sure they are).

29. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

All these years Meryl and Charlie have never failed to thrill me with their programs and their performances. Well there was the OD from hell :yikes: but then they came back with a great performance of their S&D! I just smile every time they take the ice.

Also, you know I enjoy "The Skating Lesson" website and they were talking about how skaters probably shouldn't read message boards unless they have a thick skin. I hate to think that some do read the negative things that get said but I also hope they know about the positive and how much their fans do appreciate them. I hope it balances out.

30. Kaffeine

I loved Giselle because the step sequences were "sewn in" (for lack of a better term) into the choreography. It fit beautifully; as if it was supposed to be there all along.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.