Davis & White #16: Magical Wizard Hair

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by circuscandy, Mar 15, 2013.

1. fanofskate

fanofskate New Member

2. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Sorry for replying to this here, but I just can't help but :rolleyes: my eyes and be :confused: and :eek:.

It's a bit of a stretch to say that Tessa and Scott "hardly changed anything about the program" when they changed both of their step sequences, the last lift, the spin, and the transitions coming out of the spin and the first step sequence, is not it? No to mention that they reworked the initial dance completely in August. Yes, Meryl and Charlie reworked their music a bit more, and they reworked the beginning, but most of their elements remained the same throughout the season, except the last lift (the change to the third lift was too minor to really count). So, in my opinion, it's quite partial and not objective at all to say that Tessa Scott reworked their FD less than Meryl and Charlie. I am not saying this just because I am Tessa and Scott fan, but because I care for objectivity and an objective appraisal/assessment.

But the reason why they didn't change even more transitions, choreographic moves, and so on, was not laziness or faulty judgement, but because they had a concept and a vision about their dance, and they didn't want to compromise even more than they did in order to receive better marks. Also, what some people call "losing momentum" in the middle was a part of the story and concept. It's the part where the relationship of Carmen and Jose comes closest to love, that's why it is set to that fragment of Schedrin's suite, and that is why it's slower and more lyrical. Putting a more dramatic part of the music there, and making it faster would mean breaking down and changing the story more than they intended to. One thing that I would agree with is that the slow part looked emptier than it could be, especially with the long entry in the combination lift. But I understand that they needed a moment to rest between the first and final parts that were more intense and demanding.

As for not mastering the required elements part - it's not like Meryl and Charlie managed to get level 4 on their polka sequences and step sequences all the time. And their twizzles were not always perfect. Even at Worlds Meryl also wobbled on their twizzles in the FD a bit. It really was barely noticeable and so minor (also compared to Tessa in the SD) that they didn't lose a level for it, but I still suspect if it was Tessa or Scott in her place the level would have been lost. I must note that it was not me who noticed that minor wobble on Meryl's twizzles - it was the Latvian TV commentator (she's a figure skating professional) who likes Meryl and Charlie a lot (more than Tessa and Scott), and I noticed that it really was so only on rewatch. But that was not the point. The point is that Meryl and Charlie haven't been completely perfect throughout the season either (neither of the two teams have ever achieved that - it's simply impossible for real people), and they weren't completely perfect at Worlds, although they were a bit better than Tessa and Scott overall (not in the FD, though - there they were pretty much equal, imho).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  3. lauravvv

Still - congratulations to Meryl and Charlie and to all of you for the deserved win!

4. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

The only thing I didn't like were the weird leather suspenders on Meryl's costume. I understand the basic Hunchback of ND story, but am not familiar with this musical. Did she ever explain what this part of the costume was about?

I wasn't that thrilled with the music, either, at first, but kind of got used to it.

5. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

6. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

^^^^ Actually the middle section of Carmen is to Micaela's aria. In the opera, Micaela is the devoted, innocent hometown girl Don Jose should have married instead of ditching everything for that witch Carmen. The music is not about an idyllic period in Carmen and Jose's relationship, they never had one. It was sex, thievery, gambling, abandonment of duty, and trouble from the getgo. I can't help wondering if interpolating this idyllic section into the FD accounts for the loss of momentum that people have noticed. Carmen (the character) does not have a sweet side. It would have made more sense to use Jose's "La fleur que tu m'avais jetee" music because he at least did have a sweet side and initially hoped Carmen would be the girl of his dreams. Poor sod. But I don't know if that is in the Schedrin suite. It would have been interesting to see Carmen (the FD) portray that doomed, sentimental side of Jose.

7. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

The last two flights, less Coomes & Buckland are also up.

The commentators say they can't imagine how the judges can chose between the 2 teams in the FD, but both were splendid...and indeed they were.

8. Jessiebanana

Interesting...thanks for telling me that. Yeah I think that might have been nice.

9. Jessiebanana

For a second I thought they meant for 1st place overall and I was so confused.

10. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Sorry. I just wanted to be sure everyone knew all the last 2 flights, more or less, in British Eurosport coverage, have been uploaded by the same youtuber as the D/W link.

11. lauravvv

I know that it's the version of Micaela's aria, and I know that it was not about Carmen and Jose's relationship. To tell the truth, I also don't remember if the part that you mentioned was in Schedrin's suite. But that was all I meant - they used it because it was a more lyrical part. I also agree that Carmen didn't have a sweet side, and she never loved Jose - that's why I wrote "closest to love", because I also don't believe that what Jose felt for Carmen was real love (rather a jealous and destructive obsession). There is a short moment as shown in some versions of the opera and also the actual ballet that can be interpreted as Carmen allowing her infatuation with Jose to take over her - but only for a short moment. All of which doesn't mean that Tessa/Scott, Jennifer Swan and Marina couldn't interpret it however they wanted.

12. Jessiebanana

Oh no, it had nothing to do with your comment. This was while watching the video...then they said something along the lines of they won't make up the SD lead and I got it :p.

13. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

No matter what music choices they have in the next season, I'm fully expecting a couple of :kickass: programs. I remember Tanith saying how many teams will do something contrasting in the pre-Olympic season to what they have in mind for the Olympic season.

14. Spun Silver

As the French say: Voila.

15. mollymgr

16. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Didn't that happen to Meryl last year when Charlie had to go to drug testing? Anyway Ekaterina is adorable and her English is quite good.

17. jobelle

jobelle Member

Just showed the top ten free dances to my mother in law. She only ever watches skating during the Olympics but she was in heaven watching it all tonight. Meryl and Charlie have a new fan hoping they will win the Olympics...but she also loved, well, everyone. She couldn't stop awwwwing over all the lifts and just kept talking about how much flow and "floating" meryl and Charlie had. :)

18. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I would love this so much. This or Beethoven. But I've wanted Meryl and Charlie to skate to Time for so long now.

19. Jessiebanana

Only if Meryl gets to wear a tight black cat suit!

20. Jessiebanana

21. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

She is lovely isn't she ?She has a lovely personality.
    I loved their EX dance it showed her dance abilities .
    Is London Ontario usually such a dirty place ? as T/S have mentioned about the streets never looking so clean :eek:

22. asunta

asunta New Member

Schedrin's score "Carmen- suite" was create for ballet version in 1967, choreographed by Alberto Alonso who was also the author of libretto - it is very condensed and reinterpreted story of Carmen, and there is no Micaela figure, just like in earlier Roland Petit's ballet from 1949. For example Petit's version is Carmen via Montmartre - and for a moment she is portrayed as tender coquette. Schedrin suite was also used by Mats Ek (1992), who created another very different and extraordinary interpretation of this music and theme. Here Carmen is unbridled "masculine" character and Don Jose more "feminine", sensitive one, there is also a figure called M - Micaela, Madre, Muerte. (Micaela, Mother, Death).
    Carmen is more than opera work - it is grand cultural theme and it has been reworked and reinterpreted from long time. I can add more film references like Carlos Saura "Carmen" and Jean Luc Godard "Name Carmen".

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  23. mollymgr

^^^>>>><<<<vvvvvv I'm curious as to why we are discussing Carmen here?:lol: Wouldn't this be more suited some place else?:shuffle:

24. asunta

asunta New Member

Sorry for this interruption, I just wanted to answer Spun Silver, who posted here, but I think you can handle it.;)

25. mollymgr

I was looking at old videos. This interview from 2010 SOI was so much fun.:lol:

26. lauravvv

Sorry, but what did you mean by that "voila" (I know what the translation of the word is)? Do you think that Virtue/Moir and Swan were wrong to interpret it that way, because it supposedly broke the momentum of their FD? Or something else? Speaking of that, there is something that I forgot to mention. I think there is also a plus side to that slower part in the middle - it creates a contrast with the last part, and that way the last part is actually more effective. And I am not the only one who thinks this. In the beginning there were some separate people who talked about V/M's 'Carmen' losing momentum in the middle, and then later some Meryl and Charlie fans caught on that tune to explain why Tessa and Scott's FD is not that good. But it doesn't make it a fact. I myself wrote about how that middle part looks a bit emptier. It is choreographically emptier indeed, but, come to think of it, I was wrong to say that they needed that slower part to rest between the two more intense parts. Because, what rest there can really be when that part contains (technically) four of the nine required technical elements? Anyway, I'll end this at that.

Thank you, asunta.

27. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I hate to pick on London but if what I saw was considered "clean," then :scream:. My interest was piqued by that comment from Tessa too.

28. Spun Silver

All that in response to "voila"? All that means (idiomatically) is, roughly, Yup, There you have it, Exactly, etc. Relax, honey. :cool:

Anyway, back to D/W. Curious - there is a lot of talk of Samson and Delilah here, but did anyone end up liking Les Miz better than Fledermaus? I didn't think it was possible, but I did watch it more. I'm glad I don't have to choose between them.

29. jobelle

jobelle Member

Do you mean Notre dame? I think their free dance this year took me on more of an emotional journey than die fledermaus did. Perhaps DF is still the stronger program choreographically but this years program elicited a response from me that almost always took me by surprise. It's was true especially of their last three performances of it in the second half of the season. I think this is testament to their growth as performers this season.

30. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Does anyone have a quick link to their 07-08 Russian folk dance OD? My YouTube search skills are failing me.

I agree--but Die Fledermaus is also a bit bittersweet for me because of 4CCs and Worlds. I'm so glad they did WTT last year and had their best outing of the season with it. Notre Dame represents so much work and growth for them that complemented the theme perfectly. It's easier for me to put it in the unqualified success box.