Davis & White #16: Magical Wizard Hair

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by circuscandy, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I was reading an Icenetwork article about the women's competition and this stood out to me:

I ask this as someone who likes Ashley, but what has she done to earn so many sponsors? I don't begrudge her any of her success but let's be real here, going by what we saw at Worlds, Ashley's not gonna be bringing home a world or olympic gold unless 3 or 4 women retire before Sochi. D/W are the only ones who have prevented the U.S from completely embarrassing themselves at Worlds for the past 3 years and will be the only ones who will prevent them from being shut out of medals in Sochi. Part of me is kinda glad that Ashley didn't win a medal because I feel even a bronze from Ashley would have overshadowed D/W's title.

Sorry for the rant, and like I said, I don't begrudge Ashley anything, but I wish D/W would get the attention they deserve and have more than earned.

2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Congrats to Meryl & Charlie on their well deserved 2nd Worlds title! :cheer:

3. Bue

Bue New Member

People suggest on FSU every single day that V/M shouldn't do romance. They are already getting hammered because people think they will go back to 'safe' romance next year - and we don't even know what their music is yet! (FWIW they said yesterday that they won't be doing that.) I think some of the frustration comes from the fact that D/W have done three dramatic, character driven FDs in five years, and no one seems to mind, whereas if V/M did three Mahler-style FDs in five years they would be crucified. And I'm not saying that D/W shouldn't go with their strength - I mean, why wouldn't they play to it?! This style works for them and they do it well! And I do think they have tried really hard to stretch to different styles these past three seasons. I think some V/M fans are just frustrated that D/W are 'allowed' to own their style, while for some reason V/M aren't.

Anyway, congrats to D/W on a great season and a job well done!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  4. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Is there anything that D/W do that doesn't cause frustration for V/M fans? :lol: Some of the things D/W get credited for are downright unearthly, along the lines of some dark magic.:lol: D/W are just humans. They don't control other people. They don't make people allow or disallow things. They like what they do and are passionate about it.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. mollymgr

From a business standpoint, promoting a singles skater makes total sense for the USFSA. How much revenue does it generate from skater/parents sending their kids to skate in singles? If they promote the singles hopefuls, they are more likely to get kids/parents interested in it. Ice dance and pairs are tricky because you need two people to commit. D/W have definitely done their bit to make it more popular and perhaps more kids will be likely to take that up a few years down the line, in the same way that Tanith and Ben did.
    As for sponsors, it is hard to get those when you don't even see skating on tv :mad: The sponsors are probably going with the flow in promoting Ashley because the USFSA does it. Let's be real, I am sure there are quite a few people out there who don't even know what ice dance is.:eek:
    I also find skating to be a sponsor's nightmare. After all, the athlete can't sport all the logos on their apparel like skiers for instance.:lol:

6. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I was there for the short! Absolutely astounding to see such superb teams live! Audience was super positive and encouraging for all skaters. Meryl and Charlie got lots of love! I'm glad both teams were able to skate such excellent longs. Either one would have been worthy champions in my book! Meryl and Charlie, congrats, worthy champions!

7. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

8. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

9. mollymgr

10. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Yes, people do suggest they do other things, but I've never heard anyone say they should never do it again. And certainly their fans don't...the ones criticizing Davis/White for this.
    *Sigh* They may not be Mahler, but they're all lovey-dovey, pretty much all of their FD's except Funny Face. It's not a stretch of character or mood. Which is fine, but it's the pot calling the kettle black.

11. Jessiebanana

True...it's more of a culture thing than a USFSA thing, but it's still sooo frustrating.
    You're on to something, boots are the key. Who needs classic black and white elegance when you have all that advertising space!

12. Jessiebanana

I don't want to see anyone get bumped off the podium. I want to see Weaver and Poje blow it out of the water to medal. It's their time! I think they were unfairly passed up in 2011 and then were injured this year. I want them to make it impossible for Russia to get a medal. Make it so embarrassing if they even try to fudge the numbers...not sure if the judging system has shame though.

Nothing against Russians, but I hate this automatic thing that's being set up right now. Everyone (article writers so maybe not *everyone*) is already saying they're set for Bronze and it's insulting to skaters. They didn't have much of a lead this Worlds, Anna and Luca were right there. It's open, but if there is going to be no real competition for the medal why show up?

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

The updated season's best scores tell the story. They are four and a half points up from their closest rivals, and then almost 20 points from the next highest score.

They had a true one/two punch this season in terms of programs that were thematically distinct while being complimentary. Both showed how Meryl and Charlie have improved as athletes and artists. Giselle was utterly delightful and demonstrated that the short dance concept could actually work. Because of the outstanding program and performance, even with an obvious mistake at 4CCs they were only behind by half a point and still led in PCS. NDdP was dramatic but not overwrought and used the peak musical moments perfectly.

I had been a bit of a Marina skeptic in the past, but from all evidence this season she was an amazing leader for them. I hope it all comes together again next season.

14. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I dont think Bobrova & Soloviev are a lock for the bronze. I think it is a 3 way battle between them, Capellina & Lanotte, and Weaver & Poje and all 3 teams have a good shot. I think Weaver & Poje might be the ones to get it though if they stay healthy all year and come up with better programs more suited to their strengths than this year.

15. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I honestly thought that the free dance for both teams would be the highlight(s) of dance at Worlds. I felt they were both skated cautiously. Don't get me wrong--they were good but I wanted a Wow moment. Thankfully "Giselle" provided that for me. If we had the old scoring system I think their performance would have generated perfect scores; beautiful interpretation and beautifully executed. I am so looking forward to seeing M/C (and T/S) at the Olympics.

16. mollymgr

New costumes for Meryl and Charlie for the exhibition. Looking good.:) I wish the stream wasn't freezing every two seconds.:mad:

17. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

18. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Beautiful costumes in Gala!

19. mollymgr

20. Piper

Piper Member

I looove Charlie today. Especially his shirt, it really suits him))
    And his face during their spiral...

21. mollymgr

22. Jessiebanana

Interesting. I thought they really put it all out there. I haven't been moved by their FD in a while, not because it isn't good, but just because I've rewatched it a million times. I really felt like this one was different and better. The SD is the one that I was I wasn't awed by. It's been near perfect for so long. I noticed their edges were crisper, but it was more an objective thing.

23. Jessiebanana

Speaking of costumes. I really want to see Meryl wear a brilliant shade of emerald green next season. Maybe a fuschia for the short. It's the only color I can't remember her wearing, she's done yellow, orange, blue, purple, burgundy, black, red...I guess she hasn't done any earth tones or flesh tones, but that's meh anyway. Oh she hasn't done all white I guess. Colors looks so good on her and I think doing new colors will help add a specialness.

Lol...I spoke too soon about the white.

24. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

25. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

They have a Nashville exhibition!? How cool is that?? (As always, I'm the last to find out about these things. :D ) I don't think that's one of her better dresses, but everything else is just perfect. LOVE that ending pose. :swoon:

26. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Lol---we are looking at the same thing. I guess that is why they have many judges. It is hard to quibble of about much of anything with the top two teams imho. I know I am beating a dead horse but the third best dance for me was W/P. I loved their lifts and the storyline of the dance. Next season cannot come quickly enough!

27. Jessiebanana

YES Weaver and Poje! Underrated I feel. Next season is going to be epic there is so much potential. I feel like we'll have a lot of medal contenders if programs are done right and people take risks. IMO it's time for the Shibs to step up their difficultly level. They really can't have more perfect edges doing what they're doing now. It's time to add more complex transitions and lifts. I'M SO EXCITED FOR ALL THE GREAT SKATING!

Also Caitlin Yankowskas and her new partner will be out. I have high hopes for them...hopes that involve squashing the tacky mess that is John and Caydee...but whatevs I'm way off topic now.

28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Love the Fade into You exhibition!! I'm glad Meryl changed dresses. Beautiful performance!!

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I so agree. I think the two situations are in no way comparable and D/W are in no way comparable to F-P/M. I would have expected that a Russian dance team would have been a lot closer by now to the two top teams; actually, for a while it looked like I/K were the ones who would chase D/W and V/M by now. I don't know what happened to them, if they maybe should be with another coach or if they are simply where their potential is.
    But, if B/S were to challenge D/W and V/M next season everyone would know that something was very wrong and it would hurt ice dance in the worst possible way. I think it was hurt enough in 2002; there was talk about expelling it from the Olympics so another scandal and one that would be so much more obvious might throw it out of the Olympics. I don't think anyone would want that to happen. C/L overtook B/S in the free, so they didn't even win the bronze in both portions of the competition. There is just no way anyone, has hard as they tried, could justify if B/S overcame a 15 point gap in just one off season and not raise any suspicions.

30. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

True the Russian fed. are not going to dare do anything other than try and help B&S win the bronze on home ice. Now after Sochi they might start pushing them to the Gold behind the scenes if they have kept improving both years since, even if D&W do stay (pretty sure V&M are not staying regardless what happens in Sochi).