Davis & White #16: Magical Wizard Hair

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by circuscandy, Mar 15, 2013.

1. CassAgain

CassAgain Well-Known Member

I can't find Charlie in '07.

2. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I couldn't either! I thought "is he taking the picture?" :lol:

3. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

It is possible. :lol: They didn't have official shirts for that year either.:lol:

4. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Exactly. V/M have come up with some original moves, which I admire them for. But there are no points awarded if the lift/spin/whatever has been done before, only for its difficulty. Originality would be impossible to judge. It's easy to police when comparing V/M-D/W, because everything they do is under a microscope, hashed out and compared to each other ad nauseum. What if there were actually points awarded for lifts/spins that are brand new every season? Let's talk about this realistically.

What if a team claimed to be the first, they got points for it, and then it's discovered later that they weren't the first but some other lesser team had done it in a B competition? Then a team could have their placements adjusted post-competition if the move was believed to be original but wasn't really. Picture it - V/M's 2014 gold medal could be revoked in 2200 when someone finds an attic photo of Karl Schafer and Sonia Henie goofing off in practice, performing a move that was currently believed to be a V/M original. The originality that was the sole determining factor in vaulting V/M over D/W for the 2014 gold medal would then be in question and D/W would posthumously become Olympic champions.

And when is the cut-off? Each season? Each career? How would the move's originality be proven? Would a youtube link of the team performing the move in practice have to be submitted along with the Planned Program Content sheet? Then the youtube link would have to be taken by an ISU Research Assistant, and painstakingly compared to every move in the Library of Skating Moves, with Dartfish, to make sure it has never been done before. The deadline for competitions would have to be doubly extended.

It would be really interesting to expect teams to constantly be inventing moves for them to get enough points to win competitions. The skaters would have to have their own Mosely/Dorsey skating rinks, or practice in the middle of the night. Skating during normal freestyle sessions would become a thing of the past. If points were awarded for inventing moves, skaters would not only need to practice with bluetooth headsets but bluetooth googles so nobody could see what lift they are working on, lest they become the second one to do it and not get points for it. Careers would be on the line. The secrecy would be ruthless.

Even in freeskating, extra points aren't awarded for original moves, like Courtney Hicks' amazing spin, it just gets the normal number of features and some oohs and ahhs from the audience. Is Courtney Hicks the greatest skater of all time because she came up with something new? Why not? She should be getting 50 extra points per performance! Not every skater can do that spin. Should she be the Olympic champion?

People usually invent moves so that it will be named after them or they will be the first in the history books, not because they expect the move alone to leapfrog them over every other requirement and have it be rewarded a disproportionate number of points. Everyone can appreciate a new lift or spin from any dance team, not just V/M. But realistically and accurately, where and how would that be marked in the scores?

(Ok, now V/M fans on a shall-remain-unnamed forum (not FSU), you may now commence parsing and paraphrasing my above post within 10 minutes of it being posted. It's rather hilarious to watch this happen. And.... Go!)

5. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

Hm, wonder which place you are referring to. ;) The one that either provides me with hours of entertainment or makes me :scream: at the conspiracy theories.

I wish more people could appreciate both teams and what they have brought to the sport.

6. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

NBC Sports has to be the most boneheaded organization ever. Well, they did recognize that Meryl and Charlie were US athletes to watch in Sochi, but they have their names as Charlie Davis! & Meryl White NK
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/figure-skating-athletes-watch

This article has an absolutely amazing number of factual errors. You'd think it was something written for the Onion as a spoof of really bad sports reporting.

7. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

...I kept reading each athlete's blurb and it got worse and worse and worse. Everything is wrong. :rofl:

8. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

But, "they train in the same gym in Michigan as their rivals."

The quality of writing (in addition to the poor grasp of facts) is just atrocious.

9. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

OMG, this blooper by NBC sports once again proves the point that Meryl and Charlie are the "Rodney Dangerfields" of skating.

10. Kaffeine

That blooper is hysterical. Really dumb but hysterical. I'm sure Meryl and Charlie would get a kick out of it.:lol:

11. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I think my favorite may be Ashley's blurb; they call her Miss Consistent, then go on to talk about how she missed the team in 2010, and dropped in the rankings at worlds.

Maybe we should just be happy they're getting any attention at all. I still have a bad feeling that, regardless if they win gold or not, the only thing that NBC will focus on will be wherever Ashley and Gracie place, and whatever Evan does.

12. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Strange how her two nationals wins were not the opening sentence but buried near the end. The blurbs seem to be written by someone who is ESL.

13. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

It looks like someone went in and corrected most of the mistakes. That was embarrassingly bad.

14. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

deleted

15. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

The ISU did have a rule specifically addressing and rewarding a new and innovative move, but it applied across all disciplines and I don't know if it is there anymore. I think they were hoping for a radically new spin position or jump takeoff (although with only 2 feet, I don't know if there are any more available to invent). IIRC the rule called for teh skaters using it first to get a couple bonus points for the program that season. I don't know if anyone ever got any points under this rule.

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

^^^ Adam Rippon's 3Lz with both arms clasped overhead never received the bonus the first time he performed it in competition at 2009 TEB.

Relevant quote from the Quebec Summer Championships recap article published today on IceNetwork:

17. Kaffeine

Looking forward to it :) I hope they enjoy every moment of this season and attack each competition.

18. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Oh, that humble Marina. :lol: Hope she comes through! M&C did rather well with their choice of Notre Dame last season.

19. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I know, but I guess she can brag...the few times V/M have taken more control if their music haven't been stellar IMO.
    Now if she could just get it right for the Shibs.

20. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Amen to that.

I can't wait until September.

21. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I agree. As insane as she is (curtains and headphones :rofl:, no one ever leaks anything out of Canton anyway, why is that necessary?), Marina has a magic touch when she picks the music and does the choreography. It is odd how Marina's magic hasn't been working on the Shibs.

22. rustyskater

rustyskater Active Member

Let's remember she worked the music and the dance for the Shibs and gave them a world medal on their first outing. That's a tough act to follow. Even for Marina.

23. CassAgain

CassAgain Well-Known Member

I dreamed last night that Meryl's costume for one of the (unspecified) programs was jeans, a black t-shirt and a beautifully tailored burgundy velvet coat. She looked amazing.

24. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

The Shibs needed to go to Igor after he left Canton. Look at how he improved Chock and Bates.

25. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I'm jealous of your dreams, because whenever I dream of them they're always wearing something weird and their programs even weirder.

26. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Ummm, if you include that she's now changed partners to skate with Yu-na, you might have been dipping into my dreams. :shuffle:

27. shan

shan Well-Known Member

You guys are having some crazy dreams! :lol:

28. mia joy

mia joy New Member

They have had a set of great music choices throughout their entire senior career. Eleanor Rigby, Samson&Dalilah, Die Fledermaus, Notre Dame, Giselle, that Bollywood music. I cannot wait to see what could be that "best music of their career".

29. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

30. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Meryl is so unfair.

Also I want a box of anything Kellogg's with them on it now please.