Davis & White #16: Magical Wizard Hair

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by circuscandy, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

I think we're in for a real treat if Derek Hough was the one who choreographed the SD. :kickass:

Love this Quickstep that he does with Shawn Johnson..perhaps with a different ending of course :lol

2. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Why would the skaters wear bluetooth wireless headphones?

3. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

So they can hear the music but no one else can.

Something tells me that if V/M or D/W continue past Sochi, they my find themselves training in an underground bunker...built by Marina.

4. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

As far as V/M's music goes, I love Muskrat Ramble. Such a good traditional jazz song. Full on New Orleans.

And I really like the sound of the direction Marina chose for Meryl and Charlie's SD. I figured we'd have to wait until Champs Camp to find out anything for certain, alas.

5. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

The idea of them doing all their training with earphones so nobody else knows what they are doing is kind of :eek:

It makes sense not to reveal their programs prior to Champs Camp; after all, they were made to change programs twice before.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:lol: So true. That must have been one quiet rink.

:cheer2: Great!!

7. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that also let all the skaters hear their own music at the same time, instead of having to take turns?

8. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

True

Insanity and genius go hand in hand. :rofl:

There is a way to pair headphones by password protecting them.

9. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Given how curious all of us uber fans are, I think it is understandable. I also thought it probably let them do choreography and work on their programs without having to "wait their turn" for the music. That can really slow things down when there are more than a handful of skaters doing that type of work simultaneously during the "program building" phase of the season. Sounds pretty smart to me in that regard. Like being able to wear your own headphones at the gym.

10. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Oh I see. That's definitely sneaky. Although I have skated with headphones and it's not comfortable. Having the music that close to your ears seems to throw off equilibrium a bit.

11. DORISPULASKI

In the P&B Go to Shpilband thread, there is a new interview. They will be doing the Salt Lake Senior B, along with Meryl & Charlie.

12. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Yet another reason to wish I could go. I may start weeping.

13. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

It could be helpful, but it sounds like the reason for the headphones wasn't convenience but secrecy. I guess I don't get the need for all the hush hush.

14. jobelle

jobelle Member

I agree. Especially since they train with their top rivals ... Unless Marina has them keeping the music secret from each other.:eek:

15. missysays

missysays Active Member

That would be really messed up if that were so but stranger things have happened... let the Olympic pre-season begin. ayyyeeee!!!! :lol:

16. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Ugh, the comments on that article :rolleyes:. I do like the Louis Armstrong choices. It's pretty hard to be unhappy while listening to cheek to cheek...well played V/M.

Like others have said, Champs Camp seems to have a lot more veto power than the Canadian version. I wouldn't want to give the impression that the season got started off on the wrong foot during an Olympic year...though we got Die Fledermaus last time, so maybe it's not such a bad idea :p.

17. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I know :rolleyes: Especially the one about D/W doing the same program for the past five seasons.

Honestly, if people are going to criticize them, I would prefer something with more artistry and connection, maybe with some modern touches. Rehashing comments from the past five years just isn't creative in my book. I prefer my negative comments to be classy, like fine cheddar, not like some yucky Kraft single :p

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  18. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Perfect response.

Since Doris has been really amazing to point out how creative D/W are with their OD/SD choices and we hardly need a reminder that Bollywood and Giselle are nothing alike... let's take a look at their FD choices. For some reason people seem to think they've been identical... when the last three years have been nothing alike at all: Tango, Fledermaus, Notre Dame. Could they be more different? Notre Dame was their first sweeping dramatic story since the last Olympics.

Then we have Polovtsian Dances, Eleanor Rigby, Samson & Delilah, and POTO. The only similarity is that three of these are dramatic/theatrical in tone.

For me it's like... how many other teams and skaters use a lot of dramatic pieces? And what's wrong with it? I still connect to all of that music. Meryl and Charlie have a gift for musicality that has moved audiences across the globe. They don't rest on Samson & Delilah. They improve their choreography and change their lifts (despite this somehow not being noticed just because they repeated one recently... like every other team in the world), adding nuances and taking advantage of the material. That spiral in Notre Dame? Glorious.

Ballet companies use the same set of dramatic favorites every reason, nestled between more experimental and contemporary pieces. People haven't stopped attending Swan Lake, Mayerling, Manon, Romeo & Juliet... Music can be familiar, tones can be familiar and the performance and choreography still inspiring and wonderful.

I mean, V/M are skating to Louis Armstrong and very popular jazz standards in their SD. They're standards for a reason--everyone knows them and everyone knows Louis Armstrong. But they are awesome songs that I love to listen to repeatedly. With regard to repetition, Fred Astaire sang a famous version of Cheek to Cheek and Scott played Fred in their Funny Face FD. Similar? Repetitive? Hardly. And who cares, anyway, because it's great music.

But anything D/W choose will be lambasted. I still can't believe this meme about their repetitive twizzles and lifts stuck. They repeated their split lift this season and suddenly they've been doing everything the same all along? I was unaware that every team dramatically changes their twizzles and lifts every single season. Please no one tell Lynn and Logan because if they stop doing their pendulum lift I will actually throw a tantrum.

19. DORISPULASKI

Should we do a skill by skill check of what repeats from year to year? After all, V&M have been repeating the same pair spin for years more than Meryl & Charlie have been repeating either lifts or for that matter twizzles.But is it really worthwhile to spend that much time on it, since fans whose fandom depends on denigrating their nonfavorites can always make up a reason that the unloved team is lower than whale shite on the bottom of the ocean.

As to doing the same twizzles, for crying outloud, why does no one notice the differences in entrance and exits they have used, even between SD & FD :drama: Two jumps, ballet leaps, Meryl spinning under Charlie's arm while they hold hands (Giselle...and just yummy), etc. etc. They do this because when the rules last changed on twizzles, you had 3 choices to get level four:
    1. Do both twizzles on the same foot (with the usual upper & lower body variations). Neither V&M nor D&W have ever picked this option.
    2. Do 3 sets of twizzles. This allows you to look good twizzling twice in your favored direction and deemphasize your weak direction in the second set. V&M have consistently chosen this option since the change (BTW Meryl & Charlie had done 3 twizzle sets-they used them in Polovtsian Dances, AFAIR, just not lately)
    3. Do 2 sets, but with a creative/difficult entry, which has been Meryl & Charlie's choice since the rule change. So their variations have been in entries, year to year and program to program. The one thing they seem to do the same is to do the footgrab in one set of twizzles. Since speed of rotation is graded, it makes sense to do to lower body variation that gives faster rotational speed; in other words, the one that reduces your moment of rotational inertia by keeping your body parts as close as possible to the axis of rotation.

And yes, I agree that D&W's FD's have variety, but their SD's are ground breaking :encore:

20. Kaffeine

Edited to add: Their SDs are amazing. Bollywood for a Folk Dance. Giselle for a Yankee Polka. Completely out of the box. I guess that's why a small part of me hoping for a Latin quickstep or perhaps the FD rumor of Schez to be the SD. THAT would be really cool.

Here's the thing that I struggle with. I enjoy new lifts, new elements, new spins, etc as much as anyone. It makes the season fresh and exciting. But is ice dancing the only sport where fans admonish those who use the same element? I can't think of any sport--even something in the artistic realm like gymnastics where it is looked down upon. A team spends hours, weeks, MONTHS even perfecting a new skill, timing it perfectly..getting it into their muscle memory only to "throw it away" at the end of a season. The analyst in me screams "That is not efficient!" :lol:

Davis and White will continue to be trashed because they are now neck and neck with V/M for every title. Neither team can rest their laurels and that makes this rivalry so exciting! BTW, I was looking at D/W's FDs from 2007-2009 and you know, I do agree that they were frantic, their speed was to the point where Charlie would lose control of an edge and they didn't finish off their elements as nicely. Meryl's leg line even frustrated me ;) I wasn't upset/mad/teary/whatever:rolleyes: when they "only" got the Olympic silver in 2010; I agreed with the result. I felt like "they're close but not there yet."

They're there now. They're actually a tad slower (IMO) than in 2008 because they finish their elements off better, their edges have improved. They take their time. Meryl's leg line is much improved; will it ever match Tessa's? Probably not but guess what, she's improved to the point where her strengths cancel out that weakness. And that scares some fans. The audacity to improve! So instead, they go on and on and on and on (and on and on and on :shuffle:) about Davis and White now do everything the same.

Davis and White are still hunting...they don't have an Olympic gold and they just keep improving much to the chagrin of others. Keep it up guys :D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  21. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

It will be a very sad day in US figure skating when Davis & White hang it up and retire. No only are they the greatest Ice Dancers in US history but they have been great role models and leaders.

22. DORISPULASKI

Absolutely true. I'm already missing them, just thinking about it.

23. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

IMO the notion that every move in ice dance needs to be original every year is really outdated, anyway, and the folks criticizing either team for keeping a successful move need to go back and study the not-really-new-anymore rulebook.

The adoption of the current judging system was a real watershed moment for dance, and IMO the introduction of required elements should have made obsolete the notion that every step in a dance needed to be original every year. Do folks criticize pairs for doing the same jumps and spins from year to year or some of the same overhead lifts? Surely no one complains when a singles skater uses the same 3-3 combination or same fw into triple jump in both the SP and FS or in multiple years. So why should it be any different for ice dancers? I can see that sometimes a particular lift may look quite ballroom and not work so well in a salsa program or look tango-y and not work in a quick step program, but a lot of lifts would work just fine with different music. The same is true of spins and twizzles. As long as V/M's spin or D/W's lift looks right with the music, then what is wrong with using a good move again?

Yes, one of the Program Components includes originality, but it is also there for pairs and singles. So really, according to the scoring system, originality is today no more valued in dance than any other discipline and is not valued much in any of them (as only one consideration among 8 or 9 in the Composition/Choreography mark). Besides, elements apart, there is still plenty of choreo left to be creative in.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  24. DORISPULASKI

All true, and a good comment.

Besides, if you can't repeat something, how can you have a "signature move". I certainly would have hated to only see Arakawa's stunning Ina Bauer or Michelle Kwain's wonderful Change of Edge Spiral for one season only.

Sometimes :drama: I want seconds.

25. Kaffeine

Hear hear! I loved D/W "Helicopter" rotational lift that has been a feature of their last two FDs. Visually stunning and timed wonderfully to the music. :kickass:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  26. mollymgr

If you haven't caught on already, it is the same handful of people repeating endlessly that D/W are repeating every thing. Just because they show up on Facebook, twitter, forums, blogs, Youtube etc. in different guises doesn't mean there are more of them. :blah: We know how much some people love to post just on FSU alone.:shuffle:
    You know when it is getting this bad and they have to write the same crap everywhere to make themselves feel better, it is definitely a good sign. :p

Marina has taken the secrecy to another level this season. I'm just afraid that this season is going to pick up some crazy speed once it gets going and be over before we know it. I just want to enjoy it to the fullest. :watch:

27. Kaffeine

I guess they think if they post enough times, ISU will see it and act all like "BE GONE Davis and White for thou has trampled on thy sacred ground that is V/M!"

Sorry I just had a white chocolate macademia nut cheesecake after working/going to school for 10 hours and I'm just a *touch* hyper :scream:

I am kinda surprised about the secrecy with regards to the music. I can understand the technical things like lifts, spins, etc being secretive..but the music? There aren't levels for music choices.

On another note, I would like to create a music video with Davis/White clips set to Daft Punk's Lose Yourself to Dance. Some of you have done videos before..what software would you recommend?

28. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Great comments on here, guys! I absolutely hate that tired (and untrue) criticism from non-fans of DW that they have done the same program for years. As you said, mollymgr, we should just consider the source and keep moving on. I just have to wonder if they really aren't watching the programs...when I think of the many great moves they have done from the swoop lift and back camel spin in 2009, the flip over and stand on Charlie's bent leg going backwards, the helicopter lift and the jump spin (from Notre Dame), that beautiful facing spiral, just to mention a few. Add in their amazing speed and flow and unison and most of all the fact that their work ethic has reached legendary status, imo, and well, it's easy for me to see why they have fans who adore them. Its also easy for me to see why VM ubers are so critical of DW, just look at the rivalry record and you'll know that not only do they feel threatened but its going to be quite a fight for the gold whether they want to admit it or not. Its going to be an amazing Olympic event.

I'm worried, too, mollymgr, that the season is going to go by too quickly. The last Olympics don't seem that long ago to me but then again its amazing how much Meryl and Charlie have improved since then and I can't wait to see what they have for us this season. I just hope they have a great time this season!

29. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

You guys have all said it so well. I'm not such a Davis and White uber that I can't appreciate Tessa's edges. V/M are wonderfully smooth, it's why Mahler came off so beautifully instead of falling flat (at least in my opinion). So I don't understand why people have such a hard time admitting that D/W have the smoothest most difficult spins I have ever seen...in ice dance or in pairs. Every year they make the twizzles more difficult. It's not just the jumps, but the holds and twists right before they enter them. No other team can manage it. They've cleaned up their edges, so they're not only fast, but they're clean. Meryl has freaking surgical precision, which allows them to respond to every note in the music they're skating to. We always hear about V/M musicality, but D/W have amazing musicality as well. I've never seen V/M do a waltz like they have. V/M have a heavier, jazzier feel to their steps and it's not bad. It's all good. It's variation. I guess we can type till their blue in the face and it won't change anyone's mind though.

30. mollymgr

It has been an awesome journey with so many memorable programs. I'm so excited about this season.:)
    USFS posted pictures from past Champs Camps.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151584302326342.1073741834.209118026341&type=1