Davis & White #16: Magical Wizard Hair

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by circuscandy, Mar 15, 2013.

1. SidelineSkater

SidelineSkater New Member

Lauravvv, you win the award for most diplomatic post of the year. Totally off topic, but I like the way you can compliment and critique both teams without bashing or unnecessary jabs. Thanks for bringing all sides into perspective. I think both teams have elevated ice dance to a new level, but I agree neither have revolutionized the sport with creativity.

As for the music choice, I agree this plays to their strengths, but wish they'd do something a little more unique. Tis the Olympic Season, so safe is smart, especially with a Russian composer. I just hope their short dance is a knockout like Giselle. I think a top notch short program will help set them up for the free.

Is it October yet?

2. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Circuscandy never said creativity was Meryl and Charlie's strongest point.

3. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Do you really think that V/M and D/W aren't creative? hm..interesting. IMO, Their creative Indian Bollywood routine turned me into a fan(along with their dynamic, exciting, emotional and dramatic aspects to it)

I think both teams are very creative in their own way; with or without music. I may not like certain V/M programs (such as Carmen,FF,etc.), but I never considered them uncreative. Their Latin program for example was very original and creative. Probably my favorite of theirs.

4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ ITA, Jiazumi

5. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Exactly. Creative doesn't have to be groundbreaking or ahead of its time to count. Creative can be working within established boundaries and making something special out of it.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  6. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

^This. Both these teams do amazing things while still following the established boundaries.

7. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thanks, I try :). But after reading what circuscandy and Jiazumi wrote in response, I thought that over, and now I agree that I was not completely right about creativity.

Actually, both of you are right. I mixed those things (creative, original and groundbreaking/ahead of it's time) up a bit in my mind. I agree about 'Bollywood', Jiazumi.

8. SidelineSkater

SidelineSkater New Member

^^^triple ditto

I must admit, you all are right on this one. Art, ice dancing, life in general, are all subjective as to how one interprets the item at hand. And often times creativity is in the subtleties of what's being performed. Creativity doesn't have to beat you over the head with being obvious, it can also be felt through an emotional reaction. Ice dancers and skaters in general are tasked with taking required elements and weaving them with artistry, and sometimes there's not enough time for everything.

So yes, on second thought, both teams are creative in their own distinct ways.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Tweeted by Tanith Belbin from the wedding of Kendra Moyle & Steven Pottenger today: "Making the most of the wedding photo booth! @Meryl_Davis @CharlieaWhite @trevorjyoung AnastasiaOlson, S.Moir" http://pic.twitter.com/9ydeDoBeoz

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:lol: at Charlie's expression.

11. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

That's an awesome pic! :)

12. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

13. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think it is a tribute to Blumberg and Seibert, who got screwed out of a bronze medal in 1984 for this music choice.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcmLc_XSp7Y

(By screwed I refer to the judges who admitted marking them down for a music violation even though the ISU had already ruled it was OK and instructed the panel there was no violation. Golly, is it too late to get up a petition to the ISU? :wuzrobbed)

Kidding aside, I confess I am not overly enamored of this music.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  14. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Gosh, I think both Davis and White and V/M are amazingly creative. I find their programs to be innovative and in groundbreaking. I think the constraints are quite rigid..........but both teams seem to push up against those constraints.

15. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

16. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

It's not so much that Charlie is short, that it is Evan is tall. He's 6'2" which actually makes him taller than the pair skater he's standing next to. Alex is getting pretty tall too. Ice Network has him at 6 foot. Charlie is average, he's just standing next to atypically tall ice dancers and a pairs skater.

17. littleponyjoe

littleponyjoe New Member

I think these two teams and everybody else will have to be more creative this season with the SD. It seems to me the Finnstep along with Foxtrot, etc is going to produce a lot of dances that look a lot alike. When you put that together with the short amount of time they have to dance something with interesting choreography outside the compulsory section...I just hope we don't see one Fred and Ginger after another. I can hardly wait to hear Meryl and Charlie's music.

18. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for at least One I'm a Dancing Fool :rofl:

19. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I think almost anything (I hope I don't have to eat my words) will be better than 9000 hyperactive Tennessee Waltz mash-ups. Did no one listen to the lyrics of that song? :lol:

20. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

well it's country after all, :lol: and the melody is lovely. I look forward to all the sd music choices soon to come.

21. littleponyjoe

littleponyjoe New Member

:lol:

22. Jessiebanana

Aside from boring us all to death the only couples, competing now, I think are even smooth enough to pull off a good Fred and Ginger are the Shibs and Virtue/Moir...so let's just hope everyone else makes better life choices.

23. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen the latest USOC piece on Ashley Wagner? They're promoting her as "The next great American figure skater". I guess the US doesn't have any great figure skaters now. I'm starting to get this feeling that as long as Ashley doesn't finish last in Sochi, her placement will be all they will talk about, regardless of D/W's medal.

24. Jessiebanana

:rolleyes: No offense to Ashely, but why does the USFSA have to be like that? Dance may not have been as popular in the past in the US, but with the more athletic style and so much (floor) dance on television this really is an opportune moment to bring it to the spotlight. It's their fault they aren't making the most of it. They have everything they need. We're stacked in dance. We have a nice future post Davis/White, more so than any other discipline at the moment, so no matter what they decide after the Olympics it would be smart to use their resources to advertise dance. Idiots...all of them.

25. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I know. Meryl and Charlie are the most successful US ice dance team in the entire history of the sport. They already will go down as legends of the sport, because of their accomplishments and the truly legendary rivalry with V/M. But even all the advertising about Skate America, in D/W's hometown for pete's sake, is all about the men and ladies.

Which is why the idea that USFSA is politicking in favor of D/W is totally :rofl:. They don't give a damn.

26. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

IMO the next great American singles skater is somebody we have not even seen yet at senior internationals. (I am not thinking of anyone in particular, just that of the skaters I have seen on TV, none of them looks to have "it".) Ashley is a nice skater but I honestly will be a little surprised if she even medals.

I also shake my head (and have been for years) at the folks in charge of promoting skating here (whether USFS, USOC or broadcasters) for assuming that ladies singles is the one and only skating discipline that can make people get interested in an event or produce superstars. That said, I'm not sure we will ever see another OGM reach the level of celebrity attained by Peggy F, Dorothy H, and Brian B. Lysacek's OGM opened doors for him, but his celebrity was probably built more from DWTS than from the Olympics themselves. Neither Hughes nor Lipinski became real big name celebrities. Kristi has, much more so, but again partly with some help from DWTS.

But I agree that dance has become perhaps the most entertaining discipline to watch these days, and the D&W would have the best odds among the US skaters of coming out of these games with some promotional clout based on their skating.

27. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

It ticks me off that Meryl and Charlie are not more front and center. They are the reigning Olympic Silver medalists and 2 time World champs. And yet the singles skaters are getting the hype. Ice Dance just gets no respect. GRRRR. But it isn't just by the USOC and USFS. It happens here on FSU. There are threads devoted to US Pairs news and US ladies and US men. Sylvia started a thread for US Ice Dance and it has 3 posts. Does no one care? Or is it being discussed elsewhere?

28. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

:slinkaway:

US dance is mostly discussed here.
    Unfortunately, there are not all that many summer dance competitions.

LPIDC is still quite a way away.

29. shan

shan Well-Known Member

30. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!