Davis & White #16: Magical Wizard Hair

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by circuscandy, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I know, right? Break out the popcorn! :watch:

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

@CorkyBallas tweeted this photo of the group with Marina Z.:
    "On the ice with the team! @derekhough @MaiaShibutani @AlexShibutani @Meryl_Davis @CharlieaWhite and…" http://instagram.com/p/auEAUOrqBc/

3. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Awesome!!!

4. tortellini

tortellini Member

Scheherazade seems like such a good choice considering how Muslims and Arabs are treated in the good ol' USA:)

5. Sylvia

6. iNap

iNap Active Member

did you need break from kissing rainbows or other thing like that?!? ;)

7. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Well, that won't be me. Firstly, because I like Tessa and Scott's 'Carmen' (now my favorite FD of theirs), so I am not going to deny it's existence ;). Secondly, because I have nothing against skaters using music that has been used a lot before if the choreography is well done. Thirdly, because I think that 'Scherezade' would really suit Meryl and Charlie.

It was not the reason why it was different (or, at least, not the only reason), but I understand that trying to explain that to someone who just doesn't want to see and understand would be futile :rolleyes:.

8. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

:rofl:

9. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Yes, because people who don't like that dance just can't see it and just don't understand it. I did see the dance, and I didn't like it. It's called a personal opinion.

Now back to D/W . Any guesses on what music they may do for their short dance?

10. tortellini

tortellini Member

you got me all wrong i like d/w's music choice it shows their true colors :D perfect 4 them

11. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

All of these photos are making me crazy. I am ready for the season (and yet not).

Oddly, I'm most nervous about their short dance music. I think because their Bollywood OD was so iconic at the last Olympics and Giselle was so fabulous last year, I really want them to top it all this year!

12. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

:lol:

I wanna see costumes!!

13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

me too!!

14. mollymgr

This is how I feel too.:lol:

I love the Scheherazade suite regardless of whether this rumor is true or not. :)

15. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Whatever. You diminished the dance with your quote about him "growling" and her "groping". So you can hardly blame the response quite frankly. If you didn't like it that is fine but your comment is hardly constructive. And as far as I remember the over-used music of Carmen has always been portrayed the same ole' same Ole" interpretation. I hardly think V and M's Carmen can say that to be honest. It was a totally different take, whether you liked it or not. There are actually fans who like both couples who don't necessarily want to diminish one to raise up the other.

As far as this music choice for D and W, I don't think it is as over-used as some. And honestly as long as they can make it their own and do something surprising and different with it then who cares. Personally I think it is a much better choice then last season's music which I didn't like at all. And I think it has a lot of potential. There is an interesting story to tell and I can see them doing something interesting with it. Plus honestly how long has it been since a top five couple has done this music in Ice dance.

16. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I need to put Scheherazade out of my mind so that I don't end up disappointed when it's inevitably proven incorrect. :lol: Because I love the ballet just like I love Giselle.

17. Whitneyskates

However a performance is perceived is up to the person who is viewing it. And I, as someone who viewed this dance many times over the season, did not like it. And despite everyone telling me how modern and new it was, I, as a viewer, did not see that. He growled, she groped, her crotch was in his face, it isn't diminishing to point out what everyone else saw. I found Pink Floyd to be far more modern and new than Carmen.

But anyway, my apologies to my fellow D/W fans for causing the thread to drift. Back to their FD. While it may be just a rumor, the person who posted the rumor on Facebook knew about P/B's music before they announced it.

18. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

That's one reason why I hope it's true. :sekret: It's just so very them!

19. Whitneyskates

I agree. Plus, I think Meryl has the perfect exotic look to pull it off.

20. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I dont like or dislike this free dance music for Meryl&Charlie. Considering how they changed their free dance 2 times in past years, we will have to wait a little longer to know what is going on.

The fact that commentators kept talking how their Carmen was modern and innovative, fans following that idea - does not just make it so.
    I would agree there were several impressive new things, but overall it was nothing new. If you have youtube and can watch Krylova&Ovsiannikova from 1998, V&M look just like 2 kids groping each other, but true - with impressive skating skills. Overall the program was dysfunctional. They lost it after that slow section with step sequence and the end is just so sudden. That is not my idea of a balanced program. V&M can make a better program.
    I can agree that COP does not give skaters liberty to make innovative programs, which is even more annoying when you have several vocal people insisting how one team is innovative and the other is "cheep cheese".

21. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Doppio Axel from Italy has more sources than our US fans. I may actually buy a copy when I go to Rome.

22. Sylvia

From the Programs thread in GSD:
    For fun, here's Blumberg/Seibert's 1984 Olympic FD to "Scheherazade": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcmLc_XSp7Y

kosjenka and (deleted member) like this.
  23. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

24. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

I was just about to say that! lol I'm like whose that little girl outrunning them?!? I hate that exercise in gym..so exhausting!

25. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Where has Derek Hough been all these years? He is fantastic for providing these back stage glimpses.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  26. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

These are all so much fun!

27. mollymgr

28. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Uh sorry to burst your bubble but V/M's Carmen is more than that. Much more complex.Also its unfair to compare K&O Carmen (6.0) to V&M's Carmen (CoP) because V/M's Carmen makes K&O's Carmen look slow and technically inferior, one-dimensional, and a dramafest. But thats probably because of 6.0 :D

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  29. Sylvia

30. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member