Davis & White #16: Magical Wizard Hair

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by circuscandy, Mar 15, 2013.

1. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

All of these photos are making me crazy. I am ready for the season (and yet not).

Oddly, I'm most nervous about their short dance music. I think because their Bollywood OD was so iconic at the last Olympics and Giselle was so fabulous last year, I really want them to top it all this year!
  2. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

:lol:

I wanna see costumes!!
  3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

me too!!
  4. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

This is how I feel too.:lol:

I love the Scheherazade suite regardless of whether this rumor is true or not. :)
  5. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Whatever. You diminished the dance with your quote about him "growling" and her "groping". So you can hardly blame the response quite frankly. If you didn't like it that is fine but your comment is hardly constructive. And as far as I remember the over-used music of Carmen has always been portrayed the same ole' same Ole" interpretation. I hardly think V and M's Carmen can say that to be honest. It was a totally different take, whether you liked it or not. There are actually fans who like both couples who don't necessarily want to diminish one to raise up the other.

As far as this music choice for D and W, I don't think it is as over-used as some. And honestly as long as they can make it their own and do something surprising and different with it then who cares. Personally I think it is a much better choice then last season's music which I didn't like at all. And I think it has a lot of potential. There is an interesting story to tell and I can see them doing something interesting with it. Plus honestly how long has it been since a top five couple has done this music in Ice dance.
  6. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I need to put Scheherazade out of my mind so that I don't end up disappointed when it's inevitably proven incorrect. :lol: Because I love the ballet just like I love Giselle.
  7. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

However a performance is perceived is up to the person who is viewing it. And I, as someone who viewed this dance many times over the season, did not like it. And despite everyone telling me how modern and new it was, I, as a viewer, did not see that. He growled, she groped, her crotch was in his face, it isn't diminishing to point out what everyone else saw. I found Pink Floyd to be far more modern and new than Carmen.

But anyway, my apologies to my fellow D/W fans for causing the thread to drift. Back to their FD. While it may be just a rumor, the person who posted the rumor on Facebook knew about P/B's music before they announced it.
  8. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

That's one reason why I hope it's true. :sekret: It's just so very them!
  9. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

I agree. Plus, I think Meryl has the perfect exotic look to pull it off.
  10. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I dont like or dislike this free dance music for Meryl&Charlie. Considering how they changed their free dance 2 times in past years, we will have to wait a little longer to know what is going on.

The fact that commentators kept talking how their Carmen was modern and innovative, fans following that idea - does not just make it so.
    I would agree there were several impressive new things, but overall it was nothing new. If you have youtube and can watch Krylova&Ovsiannikova from 1998, V&M look just like 2 kids groping each other, but true - with impressive skating skills. Overall the program was dysfunctional. They lost it after that slow section with step sequence and the end is just so sudden. That is not my idea of a balanced program. V&M can make a better program.
    I can agree that COP does not give skaters liberty to make innovative programs, which is even more annoying when you have several vocal people insisting how one team is innovative and the other is "cheep cheese".
  11. kosjenka

Doppio Axel from Italy has more sources than our US fans. I may actually buy a copy when I go to Rome.
  12. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

From the Programs thread in GSD:
    For fun, here's Blumberg/Seibert's 1984 Olympic FD to "Scheherazade": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcmLc_XSp7Y
    kosjenka and (deleted member) like this.
  13. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

14. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

I was just about to say that! lol I'm like whose that little girl outrunning them?!? I hate that exercise in gym..so exhausting!
  15. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Where has Derek Hough been all these years? He is fantastic for providing these back stage glimpses.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  16. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

These are all so much fun!
  17. mollymgr

18. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Uh sorry to burst your bubble but V/M's Carmen is more than that. Much more complex.Also its unfair to compare K&O Carmen (6.0) to V&M's Carmen (CoP) because V/M's Carmen makes K&O's Carmen look slow and technically inferior, one-dimensional, and a dramafest. But thats probably because of 6.0 :D
  19. Sylvia

20. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

21. mollymgr

22. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

23. kosjenka

well - you cut my point from the quote about V&M having impressive skating skills. I never question that. There are impressive stuff in their program that I am not sure any other amateur team is capable of. Still -it does not make their Carmen modern.
    K&O Carmen was contemporary take of the piece. While the most contemporary thing in V&M program was them groping each other and him roaring.
  24. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

25. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

The Champs Camp experience is the most interesting of the two. They've always kept it pretty locked down when it comes to the press, would definitely be interesting to actually see it in person.
  26. parapluies

This is where you're wrong. You just proved that you have no idea what constitutes as modern or contemporary dance.
  27. kosjenka

Just saying you are right does not make you so.
    Very glad people enjoy various teams perform. I certainly do.
    But claiming all the time that one thing is so amazing and that the overused music is not that bad because the choreography is modern has to be back up with examples.
    What is boundary breaking about V&M Carmen? What rules of classical dance have they pushed with their concept? That's what makes choreography contemporary and/or modern.

I dont pick on V&M on this. There are very few teams in every few years that are willing to take this road. The reason why it is annoying is because there is this claim that V&M had modern choreography, but so far nobody actually pointed out what is modern about it.

I would assume that it is not that she kills him in the end...
  28. kosjenka

And I can certainly agree that IJS makes modern choreography almost impossible.
    Maybe with 2 elements less we would see some more actual dance and creativity happen.
  29. Sylvia

30. kosjenka

I hope whoever buys this - writes a blog entry :D
  31. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

aka_gerbil explained it really well in the Anissina thread where there was a discussion about modern and contemporary in ice dance: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...na-to-return&p=3941970&viewfull=1#post3941970
  32. parapluies

People just don't only like their Carmen because its modern dance. They like it because its so different than other Carmen and different to what they usually do and it makes you forget the preconceived notions of Carmen and just enjoy the music.
    Alot of people have pointed out what is modern with it. Theres the side by side movement, focus on the upperbody, the movement is much more raw, the upper body movement is more free (the shoulders, the arms, the arch and round of the back),minimalistic lifts (for example this lift here is very similar to the lift V/M had at the ending of their dance http://youtu.be/zHumax97TH8?t=1m17s), minimalistic costumes, etc.
    IMO this article on ice-dance.com explains it better than I could. http://www.ice-dance.com/main/news/...g-to-highlight-the-modern-dance-in-ice-dance/
    If you are going to talk about what is and what isn't modern dance you should educate yourself first.

One can say the same thing about Ballet/Bollywood ;). It is hard to translate those movements on ice
  33. kosjenka

I was looking for more interesting interpretations of Scheherazade.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLPv4G-aaX8
    - some of the things could be incorporated into a ice-dance routine with braver music cuts. But honestly I am not too confident. It is after all the Olympics season. But maybe for the slower middle section.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKbNMZ9op60
    Costumes are amazing. I am not sure shirtless is ISU approved :lol:

I think people like their dance for many reasons. They are exciting dance team. What you are pointing out here does not work for me. I dont forget about the story of Carmen while watching V&M modern take. Pretty much like I there is nothing new on that side from D&W with their Notre Dame de Paris.

Minimalistic costumes are only the appearance of modernity.
    I already read what J. Swan said about the program. As she choreographed it and while her take on ice dancing is interesting, not much of this is possible to translate to the ice.
    Their Carmen has its exciting parts, but does not have continuity nor does it truly break the rules of classical concept. Maybe is it not exactly possible with the system as it is right now, but how will it ever change if some dont bend/break the rules?

Teams like D&W and V&M have enough impressive skills, experience, titles and are more than capable of taking this risk. It is probably too late, since they will retire after the Olympics as things are.

I spent four years dancing with an amateur modern dance group.
    Thank you for pointing out the necessity of a life long education.
  34. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

I would like to echo Sylvia and ask that the Virtue & Moir Carmen stuff be taking to PM or its own thread please.
  35. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Then I suggest that you also read what aka_gerbil wrote, including quotes from a modern dance choreographer, American Ice Theatre founder and former skater Jodi Porter. I already posted the link, but here it is once more - http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...na-to-return&p=3941970&viewfull=1#post3941970 .

Sorry, this was my last post on that topic.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  36. mollymgr

Well, obviously some people don't get it. But they claim to get everything else... :rofl:
    shan and (deleted member) like this.
  37. Sylvia

38. shan

shan Well-Known Member

39. parapluies

Well it didn't seem like it sorry!. I think I trust Jody Porter's judgement better than an uber's. You can't argue with the professionals. You should continue dancing so you will learn more :D
  40. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Careful with this link! I clicked on it and got the box saying my computer has a virus that needs to be cleaned scam thing. I got rid of the page, tougher to do as it then gives you another box asking if you really want to "Leave this page".
    Anyway, hope the article was good. Interesting that Derek seems to have outrun Charlie in the instagram race. I bet this dance will be great.