Davis & White #16: Magical Wizard Hair

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by circuscandy, Mar 15, 2013.

1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Meryl and Charlie!!!

What a great season for them. :cheer2: :cheer2:
  2. reese

reese Well-Known Member

What a ridiculously perfect season for these two. Just clean, clean skating at every competition. I don't know how they do it.
  3. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

I don't think I was breathing through the entire performance I was so nervous. So excited for them:D.
  4. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::encore: So happy for Meryl and Charlie for winning their second World Championship title!!!! They skated both programs to perfection :encore::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
  5. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I was watching some vintage Meryl and Charlie and find that I'm so impressed with their improvement since 2010. I don't know the genesis of the two programs this year (their suggestion? Marina's?) but the music was a perfect fit for them. I think V/M skated wonderfully today as well. Congrats to both teams for so many memorable moments.
  6. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

As a big V/M fan can I say congratulations to Meryl and Charlie? Well done. These two teams are amazing!!
  7. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

I hope the medal ceremony gets posted soon--awful time for the feed to go down.
  8. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I believe Giselle came from Marina, Notre Dame from Meryl.
  9. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Congratulations, Meryl & Charlie!!! :respec: you did it!
  10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Definitely the favorites for the Olympic Gold now.
  11. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

12. missysays

missysays New Member

Good, good job!!!

Theirs is a long slow progression to the top- amazing the mental and emotional stamina to keep on it.

Love them!! They are beasts.:cool:
  13. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

14. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Congrats to Meryl and Charlie!!!!!
  15. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that makes the win even sweeter. They didn't win because of somebody else's mistakes, they won because of their own excellence.

I don't know anymore if this is a good thing, to be the ones with targets on their backs.

I have been worried since Calgary that D-W would get the Fusar-Poli/Margaglio treatment in 13-14 so the Russians can move up in Soshi.
  16. judgejudy27

I think if anyone is dumped for the Russians next year it will be V&M (not that I hope that would happen, just could see it). I cant see D&W being dumped for the Russians at this point, no way. I am not counting out V&M for defending their Oly title yet mind you, but I think D&W now go in with he best chance. Also the favorites usually do win the dance event. Even if in some cases they werent the reigning World Champions the favorites going in won every dance event since 1980 now, except possibly 1994 (I dont even know which of that years top 3 was the favorite anyway). Lets face it by the time Vancouver came around V&M were clearly favored to win, and likewise in 2002 A&P clearly were despite F-P&M being World Champions.
  17. mollymgr

ESPN article. I'm sure more will follow. :)
  18. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

And F-P/M's world title was always a bit questionable.
  19. judgejudy27

Definitely. Dont think they were considered the favorites over A&P for the Olympics even after their World title.
  20. Piper

Piper Member

I agree - my favorite performance is 4CC, though.
    They were VERY nervous today.
    But they did it, and I'm crying because I'm incredibly happy.

Congratulations, everyone!
  21. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

It's the Associated Press article by Nancy Armour (uncredited) that's posted on the ESPN site.

I caught a few minutes on the Universal Sports feed of Meryl & Charlie being interviewed by Japanese TV after their win and they both practiced saying a sentence in Japanese that was filmed as a promo for 2014 Worlds in Japan (something like "see you in Saitama"). They were both very serious about getting the pronunciation and intonation right - fun to watch!
  22. mollymgr

I wish someone would upload it. That would be awesome if they competed in 2014 Worlds in Japan. We still have the WTT in Japan to look forward to.:cool:
  23. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I was sitting at the very top row of the stadium, surrounded by Canadians, but I fist pumped and wooooooed when I saw their score.

I need to check the video, but from my view in the stadium, both D/W and V/M skated lights out. And D/W won. Exactly what I hoped for. The audience was very classy too, I didn't hear any booing, although I'm assuming most of them hoped that V/M's Carmen would be enough to win.
  24. neptune

neptune New Member

I'm glad that Meryl & Charlie skated so well. They didn't even have to, but did it anyway! :) Congrats to all the American teams on their great job, and also to V&M for skating well in the FD. I haven't seen the Shibutanis' FD, but I heard they got a bit "hosed." Any truth to that?

I read that in an interview Zueva said she's already picked out the music for both teams for the Olympics. Is that the way it works--your coach just "picks" out your music for you??? Sounds a bit like pre-school. ;) If I were part of an ice-dance team, I'd want to select the music myself, or at least have equal input.

I wonder--did Torvill & Dean's coach "pick" Bolero for them? :D
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  25. mollymgr

26. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Classy comment by Charlie White on the CBC website talking about the friendship and rivalry between V/M and D/W, saying that without V/M there pushing them every day (and vice versa) both teams would not be where they are today. Nicely said.
  27. fanofskate

fanofskate New Member

Congratulations Meryl and Charlie! Was so nervous watching them. My heart was pounding...relaxed a bit after the twizzles.

I read at the GS forum that by the time the last two flights get on ice, the air quality is really bad in the arena. The humidity is higher--the arena 'warmer' as the competition goes on. They said that Eurosport guys were also commenting on it. This could be affecting a lot of the top flight competitors, especially those with respiratory problems like Charlie.
  28. neptune

neptune New Member

And that's not just fluff--no doubt the rivalry is responsible, at least to a degree, for the quality in their skating.

Wonder how their "friendship" is going to progress from here? ;) From some of the comments that Moir has made both recently and in the past, I would think it must be very difficult at times for Meryl & Charlie to consider their rivals "friends."
  29. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Meryl and Charlie. :cheer: I tried to remain objective while watching them, but couldn't. :p

They are just so good and so wonderfully consistent. Amazing role models ... and they answered the awkward questions from the interviewer after the FD with such class, as usual.
  30. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

Loooong time lurker chiming in. I'm thrilled for D/W. Just the other night, I took another look at their Olympic FD and then compared it to this year's FD. Wow! Talk about massive improvements in all areas: expression, crispness, edges. I loved them then but for some to suggest, that there haven't been any improvements need to get their eyes checked.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed V/M's performance too! I have disliked Carmen all season long but tonight was a different story. Such passion!

Oh man, I better stock up on anxiety meds cause next season is going to be such a nailbiter. :D

Congratulations again to Meryl and Charlie :kickass::kickass: I cannot WAIT to see what's in store next season. :D
  31. neptune

neptune New Member

Exactly. Incidentally, on another thread, someone stated that they think Meryl & Charlie have been skating pretty much the "same" program in the FD the past several years. Does anyone think there's any truth to that? I'm not saying that there is--I'm just asking.

They're consummate politicians. :)
  32. neptune

neptune New Member

So now they're opening up a store???? Cool--I wonder what they'll call it. :cool:
  33. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

what a dangerous choice of word in this situation/sport, even if unintended. i think you might have meant diplomats ;)
  34. neptune

neptune New Member

I can see what you mean. Well, I definitely meant what I said as a compliment. They are certainly very shrewd. :)
  35. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Ditto even though I had an incredibly biased stan position while watching and probably saw things that weren't there. I'm glad it was an out and out no major mistakes type of match. I'm so tired of hearing every D/W win chalked up to a V/M weakness. I wanted them to able to own this.

Normally I could see resistance, but when you're coach is Marina...don't know about that. Last time someone was really in charge of music we got Funny Face...just saying. It's like letting a valuable resource go to waste...unless you're the Shibs, then run for your life and take some control.

Interesting. I wonder what their definition of "same" is. I find an Argentine tango, waltz, and theatrical drama to be very different. It's pretty obvious they've actively tried new things. Now if they're saying Meryl and Charlie should never ever do a drama because they did Phantom, I call bullshit. No one would ever suggest V/M not do romance. It's their strength. They're just mad because this is a style they're good at and will be remembered by. And regardless to what people say it's not just M/C that have room to grow. There is so much V/M haven't done, especially in senior competition. One shouldn't assume they'd be good at everything else just because they have a sexy connection and do that well.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  36. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I think the people saying that are angry and hurt and want to lash out and make D/W fans feel as hurt as they do. The 'misery loves company' thought process. It's sad, especially when both teams are so good and they've done so much to elevate the knowledge of ice dance. I mean, I never used to pay attention to dance at all, but both D/W and V/M got my attention and kept it. I like that they push each other to be even better every day. I like that they both expect excellence and want not just titles but for audiences to be wowed.

I know it's a Pollyanna way of seeing things but more often than not "fans" take all the joy out of the sport and I'm tired of it.
  37. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

Congratulations to Meryl and Charlie. They seem to be really classy people and such hard workers.
  38. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think everyone went in to that season assuming F-P/M and Ann/P would be competing for gold while Bou/Kra and Lobacheva/Av would be battling for bronze. Since the Canadians had usually been coming out ahead, the Russians needed to do something to guarantee a podium spot, and that turned out to be the deal with the French that got exposed in the pairs event. As it turned out, both the Italians and Canadians made it easier for them with SP errors, but it was obvious something was up way back at the surprise 3rd place finish for the Italians at the GP final. We saw the same strategy employed to move Denkova-S out of the podium discussion in 2006 even earlier, with inexplicably low marks in the GP season.

I'm just saying, old system, new system, it's still ice dance.
  39. neptune

neptune New Member

Yes, I think those folks deserve some pity. ;)
  40. mollymgr

I'm pretty awestruck by the fact that they beat all the odds this time and delivered two brilliant performances. That's what makes this one special.:hat1:
    As to the "he said, she said", that will go on for eternity. Looking back, some of it was pretty hilarious. After all, that's what keeps FSU in business.:p