Davis & White #16: Magical Wizard Hair

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by circuscandy, Mar 15, 2013.

1. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

:rockstar: ~tapdancer~
    great siggie line

2. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Now wouldn't that be awesome?:cheer2: When do they usually announce this?

~tapdancer~, Cyn-
    It is quite easy and convenient to hide behind a computer and insult skating technique/appearance/anything else that comes to their mind. I feel sorry for those who do this because that is all they have to look forward to in their pitiful world. :lol:
    Meryl and Charlie have accomplished more on and off the ice, in their young lives than these couch potato experts ever will in all their combined lifetimes put together. NO ONE can take that away from them. :)

NBC has some skating coverage today. :cheer:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

That first one reminds me of Sasha's Oly LP dress and considering what happened...I have my superstitions:lol:

4. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Are ice dancers now encouraged to use ballet? It used to be outright banned as it's not an inherent partner dance form.

Having just tried on some ballet costumes for a showcase in ballroom, I agree--the first Sylvia dress (with the flat skirt) could work, but when you're skating close to a partner a tutu, especially the stiff "Russian" style is just going to get in the way and close body contact with your partner crunches it down. I discovered quickly that tulle, even long, doesn't move big, and in skating you need something that just FLIES.

I'm just not into sticking ballet in ice dance (or really skating at all as in the other disciplines it's done to DEATH, and besides ballet is BALLET, it's about...well, it's about movements that you can achieve with ballet technique on a floor, it just seems like skaters copying ballet otherwise.) And I don't know about GRAND, unless the judges just reward 'deep' music, as much as they need something that just feels like THEM. Whatever they pick needs to speak to them, first and foremost. You can tell when someone/a couple genuinely loves what they're skating to. Grand or light or fun or whatever I hope they go for something that just makes them go "Yes!"

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

U.S. TV reminder: NBC's Worlds recap is today, noon-2 pm Eastern.

ETA: Their free dance is being shown just before/around 1 pm.

6. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Really? You could say the very same thing about Latin rhythms, if not more, yet they are still apart of the CDs. When I learned to skate a lot people loved that I came from a Ballet background and could incorporate those movements. ALL dance on ice is an interpretation. Absolutely non of it is literal. The waltz perhaps being the closest. If a team can successfully convey a dance rythym...in an ice dance competition, they should go for it.

While Ballet isn't inherently a partner dance. A pas de deux is a regular part of any show. Many folk dances aren't inherently partner based, yet we now welcome their inclusion in ice dance.

As for is being over done...if you feel it is that is fine, but I don't.

I'm not sure what all this hubbub over costumes is about. Costumes are always modified for whatever discipline interprets it. When ballets do operas, no one suggests they wear the original heavy opera costume. If D/W did a ballet there are many softer flexible materials she could use to mimic tulle. Or she could skip the tulle and go with a straight skirt and still keep a ballet bodice. It reminds me of a few of those obnoxious comments that said Meryl's Indian costume wasn't a good depiction of traditional dress because it was too short.

I don't think a particular style should be automatically awarded over another, but it sounds to me as if some would like to see a certain style and think only M/C can handle it. It would speak to their abilities and make an impact. That isn't quite the same thing.

7. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

For me the ideal situation would be if both teams tried to do something outside of their comfort zones, finding a balance between that and safe being the second best option. I am not sure that it's going to happen, though - that is, both Meryl/Charlie and Tessa/Scott doing something new in the Olympic season. The second option is more possible. But I think I am going to be okay with something "safe" as well, as long as the music is beautiful, the choreo is good, and the dances are impactful enough to impress both the judges and the public, and to be remembered for years to come.

8. lauravvv

Were did you see flaws in their Worlds performance of 'Carmen'? Do you mean those level 3 step sequences? But Meryl and Charlie got the same. And other than that I can't think of any real flaws.

I understand being smart, but, at the same time, if being smart means that skaters can't really do something new and experiment, then I don't like that kind of smart. For me stepping up means exactly pushing the boundaries and showing (in this case) to the skating world new ways how it can be done. And who else to do it if not the top skaters?

euterpe and (deleted member) like this.
  9. mollymgr

10. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Thank you , but that was actually NHK ^^;

11. mollymgr

Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize it was NHK.

I like this recap of the season.

12. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

After listening to Mirai's interview in Japanese, i thought i heard her say something to the extent of, "Admire Meryl's stlye"... Not sure if thats translated correctly. But wow everyone seems to like Meryl's style these days ;) hehe

Speaking of style, Does anyone have pictures of MC at the banquet?

13. Jessiebanana

All those cute pictures makes me want to rewatch their SD. The YP was just made for them.

14. DORISPULASKI

As far as tech, here's how the two teams were judged. D&W won the spin and the steps. The teams tied on lifts and twizzles. The judges didn't like Tessa & Scott's first lift (the curved lift where Tessa ends up in a kind of odd spread legged position across Scott's legs) and totally loved the final rotational lift (perfect score of 5.5) where Tessa sits on Scott's shoulder, facing him. From the marks, I don't think you can sustain a claim that the judges disliked the creative bits of their program, since that was mostly the lifts. The judges' favorite lift that either team did was Tessa & Scott's short rotational lift. That lift was the most questionable one from a rules standpoint & traditional ice dance standpoint, being very gymnastic (something that used to be frowned upon in ice dance) and Tessa sits on Scott's shoulders, something that is explicitly against the rules some of the time, and always frowned upon. So I actually think they were rewarded for their creativity.

They were marked lower for their steps (which were pretty standard, just as D&W's steps are pretty standard), which didn't have the clean sureness of their Mahler program, for example. And D&W were somewhat faster in the steps, too. D&W scored higher for both step sequences.

Their least creative element (as their program is currently structured) was their spin, and they scored less than D&W in that element, not too surprisingly, since V&M's spin does not have a creative or difficult entry & D&W's does.

[TABLE="width: 339"]
    [TR]
    [TD]STEPS
    [/TD]
    [TD]Type
    [/TD]
    [TD]score
    [/TD]
    [TD]Type
    [/TD]
    [TD]score
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]V&M
    [/TD]
    [TD]Circular
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]8.50
    [/TD]
    [TD]Diagonal
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]8.36
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]D&W
    [/TD]
    [TD]Circular
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]8.79
    [/TD]
    [TD]Diagonal
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]8.64
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TABLE="width: 403"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]spin
    [/TD]
    [TD]Lifts
    [/TD]
    [TD]step
    [/TD]
    [TD]twizzles
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Total D&W
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]6.36
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]22.64
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]8.50
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]7.21
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Total V&M
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]6.14
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]22.64
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]16.86
    [/TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

The twizzles are an interesting case. The judges clearly noted that D&W's FD twizzles were not as good as their SD twizzles, which got a perfoct score:

[TABLE="width: 467"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Twizzles
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]Score
    [/TD]
    [TD]GOE
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]Score
    [/TD]
    [TD]GOE
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]D&W
    [/TD]
    [TD]SD
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]7.50
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1.50
    [/TD]
    [TD]FD
    [/TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1.21
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]V&M
    [/TD]
    [TD]SD
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]5.57
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]0.57
    [/TD]
    [TD]FD
    [/TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1.21
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

15. DORISPULASKI

If you watched the RAIsport coverage of FD on youtube channel LaRiservaISUMondiali

you might get as big a kick out of this comment as I do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2auou58sUa0

I hope Meryl & Charlie take them up on it, and come see them in the "Riserva Forum"

The web address from youtube for them is

http://lariserva.forumcommunity.net/

16. mollymgr

Haha…yes, I did see that. I thought that was very cute. :)

17. lauravvv

Thanks, but I always look at the protocols myself, so I knew the numbers, and how the judges judged them. I also know that Meryl and Charlie got higher GOE for their step sequences, but to me it doesn't prove that there were real flaws in Tessa and Scott's FD performance - "flaw" indicates something more major in my mind. Meryl/Charlie's speed has always supposedly been better than Tessa and Scott's, so we can just as well say that Tessa and Scott are flawed in this area compared to Meryl and Charlie.

18. iNap

iNap Active Member

is your tasty soup not ready yet? you stir pot for some time now :D

19. DORISPULASKI

Both teams had skates that scored the 2nd & 3rd best of the season overall; clearly there was not a lot wrong with either performance. The only thing to do in such a case is take the protocols apart to see where they could have done better, and hope that they work on those areas for next season, something that of course, they will do.

I wasn't only addressing your question lauravvv, but the general thought that that V&M were punished by the judges for being creative, and the marks do not tell that story, IMO.

20. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I agree. It's not just what the skaters do, but how they do them.

21. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Being a bit of a smart-ass - the "stiff" tutu is called classical, the softer one is the romantic tutu. The ballets they're used in are classified as the same, eg, Giselle is considered a romantic ballet, Swan Lake, a classical one.

As for the rest, if ice dancers are encouraged to use ballet, I haven't heard it and I kind of hope D/W don't use a ballet next season. Giselle was fantastic and it was different from the ballets previously used by other ice dancers but I feel that's kind of done and done. And I agree that ballet music is a very common choice of music for skaters!
    And while Sylvia might have nice costumes, I'm not sure the story wouldn't translate well onto the ice.

22. Sylvia

Charlie White just tweeted this photo of himself and Florent Amodio as his first Instagram photo: http://instagram.com/p/XPsf-RsT27/

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  23. DORISPULASKI

Thanks, Sylvia!

24. Jessiebanana

So adorable! I love how Flo and Meryl are the same height next to Charlie.

25. Piper

Piper Member

Please, does anybody have a link to victory ceremony in good quality?
    I'm close to giving up. :(

26. Sylvia

Icenetwork is scheduled to add 2013 Worlds videos on demand (tomorrow?) for season pass subscribers. Last year they included the awards ceremony videos from Nice, France.

27. Piper

Piper Member

Thank you, but I'm afraid it's geoblocked.

28. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Well, if Charlie has magical wizard hair, how about Sorcerer's Apprentice for next season? :)

29. sfgirl

sfgirl New Member

Great picture of Charlie. He looks so handsome.

30. mollymgr

Oh no!!! He already had a go at it one time with the ER costume.:yikes::scream::rofl: