Davis & White #15: The Polka Connection

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Love the reports! I can't wait to see the changes in the FD.

What a great interview with Steve Mesler. He asked very interesting questions.

IN is streaming the dance practice from earlier. I see Shibs so I don't think this is M/C's group, but maybe they'll show them in a bit.
  2. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Shibs were in the group right before them, so maybe they will!
  3. jobelle

jobelle Member

Excellent interview! Thanks for posting the link.
  4. TanithandBenFan

5. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Thank you!! D/W practicing on the b stream now
  6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:cheer2: great vid TaBfan. It is so worth the wait! I love the spirals going into the step sequence.

and their practice group is now playing on the Backstage stream on IN.
  7. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

I think the spiral is a big improvement.

The video captured Meryl's gorgeous layback spin better than any of the televised versions--thanks TaBF!
  8. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

"You actually don't have to kill yourself today"

I legitimately heard Marina's voice when Charlie said that. :lol:
  9. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Love this...one of my favorite things about Charlie is the way he treats Meryl on the ice.

Thanks for the upload TanithandBenFan. I love the little change they made in the diagonal sequence. I like the spirals as well, though I think they held the position a couple beats too long.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  10. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

11. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

12. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Watched the B stream of their practice just now. Loved the spiral sequence they added to the FD! It's lovely. I definitely remember us talking about how we would like to see that from them. They look awesome as always. Try as I might I couldn't identify any of the other teams in their practice group! I'm sure I will know their names when I see it but it was funny to me sitting here trying to figure out "Who are they?" I will, of course, be at work tomorrow for the SD :(. Hate I have to wait a day even to see the on demand. But I am psyched to sit home all weekend and watch LIVE tv of skating! :cheer2:

ETA: Beautiful practice vid! Loved it! Wow, that spiral sequence is so beautiful, love how they do the deep, rocking edges. All while looking at each other, yay! Thanks for sharing that with us, TaBfan.
  13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

tapdancer I feel your pain re: work. We're supposed to travel to another school for a special speaker. Our weather could be bad (sleet, snow) and I'm kind of crossing my fingers for it to be cancelled.

M/C were in a group of lesser known skaters. I did recognize Colin Brubaker/Alissa Aranow.
  14. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

15. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I didn't notice the chor. during the one of the sets of bells tolling. I saw the one that accents the lifts, but not the one where Charlie originally held Meryl's shoulders and pushed her forward to the toll of the bell. (does that make any sense?? :lol:) I think they changed it at the GPF, but I liked the original. I was hoping they would go back to the first version.
  16. literaryfreak

Wow, that spiral is just beautiful, how they glide and especially the changes of edge. Very smart to make a special moment there. Brilliant.
  17. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

That spiral move is beautiful. :eek::eek: I love how long it's held out, truly special. It's such a great addition! They looked amazing.
  18. literaryfreak

They're repeating the dance practice on the backstage stream again, currently the group with the Shibs, for anyone who missed it the first time.

Shan, is this the move you're talking about? I like the old version where they he pushes her back and forth too. Here, it's like a slow "Surprise!!!" which makes me laugh a little. :lol:
  19. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you so much! The new spiral is really, really beautiful. I can't say that I disliked the hops that they had there (although I disliked those hops in the beginning when there were more of them), but this is certainly more special. Such a great touch.
  20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yeah the NHK version is my favorite.
  21. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I love that, too. Super drama.
  22. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I agree, I liked the NHK version the best for that move. I can't wait to see them perform it full out on Saturday.
  23. TanithandBenFan

They practiced the bells move and the twizzles after the run-through and I believe it was the same as GPF but I can't be certain.
  24. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I made it to Omaha in time for the Ice Dance practice. All I can say is WOW! Seeing it live is thrilling. When they practiced the highlight lifts at the end I had goosebumps.

Impressions: Meryl is even more beautiful in person and looks stronger/healthier. Charlie is pretty darn cute too. But I really don't think his costume does him justice. And hearing they skate "fast" didn't prepare me for the actual speed and power.

Also wasn't prepared for all the "celebrity" sightings in the practice stands. Saw Igor, Tanith, Tracy Wilson and Scott Hamilton. And I got a photo op with Brian Boitano and Ryan Bradley! What an amazing day. Now looking forward to the SD this afternoon.
  25. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I've never seen them skate in person, but when you stand by the boards and elite skaters skate by and you get an actual "woosh" of air- it is absolutely insane to think how fast they are skating.
  26. Theatregirl1122

I just realized. We haven't really talked about the fact that, if Meryl and Charlie win this weekend, this will be their 5th Senir US Championship, have we? That will tie them for the most US titles in Ice Dancing.
  27. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Pretending I never mentioned anything about things that happen after tomorrow. Nope. Never said it.
  28. Theatregirl1122

Shhh. Let's not talk about it so the skate gods won't hear! Not with the luck other teams trying for 6 have had.
  29. literaryfreak

Semogal, I'm glad you're having a great time. I remember being blown away by their speed when I first saw them practice. Especially when they do cross overs together around the rink, they just ooze power. People on the internet always diss speed but it makes such a big difference live, I understand why it shows up in nearly every PCS component in some way.

I was just watching videos from 2008 Nationals yesterday. They've come a long way. :)
  30. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Six? Six? Six what? :shuffle:
  31. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I'm totally lost as to what y'all are talking about. Six what? ;)

Good luck to them today!! Wish I could watch!
  32. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Duh! Six puppies, of course!:dog::dog::dog::dog::dog::dog:
  33. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Just like Meryl wants!
  34. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Okay I can relax again. Great skate by Meryl and Charlie!!! Woohoo! 79.02. :cheer2:
  35. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Woo hoo! :cheer: I cannot wait to see their SD. I hope they show it on the NBC broadcast.
  36. literaryfreak

Meryl and Charlie were magnificent. Lots more speed than before and perfect twizzles. I like the change in the last lift and the end pose, how they face each other now. They keep making all these awesome changes. Best outing of Giselle so far!
  37. mia joy

mia joy New Member

So it was possible to make that SD even better? I thought it was flawless already. Can't wait for a video! I love it to pieces, it's too perfect for words.
  38. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

39. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

That was a great performance! They always find a way to improve. But I have to be honest, I liked the old lift better. Idk it went better with the climax of the music, with her swinging her legs quickly around and then gradually going into a spilt. But hey I'm no expert :)
  40. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I am so glad they finally changed that lift!

Their SD makes me so happy.