Davis & White #15: The Polka Connection

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Thanks for making assumptions, but I have. I tend to exclude the OD because they're theme based. You can disagree with me, that's fine, but it's not necessary to try to invalidate my opinion.

CassAgain and (deleted member) like this.
  2. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Not sure what you're dancing but, in my opinion, there was more dance in ice dance in before COP than there is now.
    Dance has many forms and while ballet or jazz may not be considered a sport, it's definitely a form of dance and not interpretive theater. I've always considered free dances closer to jazz/modern forms of dance than Standard and Latin dances, whereas ODs used to be more like Standard and Latin dances.

3. Piper

Piper Member

4. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I love that little blue dress of hers!

5. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I love that blue dress too. She's so adorable in it.

6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Ok--I had an 'aha' moment when I looked at these pictures. I was watching the Kennedy Center Honors and was watching the film of the young Natalia Makarova in her days as a Kirov ballerina and knew she made make think of someone but I wasn't sure who until I saw the pictures of Meryl. Charlie, Tessa and Scott have always looked like the fresh-faced kids next door to me while Meryl has an Eastern European look imo. Do you know if her Mom or someone in her family are recent immigrants? She has the look of a Kirov ballerina to me anyway. Thanks for posting the pictures.

7. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Wow, until you said that I hadn't thought about it. Meryl's facial proportions are so similar to Natalia's. It's pretty amazing.

I've always wondered about Meryl's ancestry. I've seen pictures of her immediate family and she just stands right out.

8. Piper

Piper Member

9. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

10. wit's end

wit's end New Member

I received an email from the Classroom Champions org. updating me on the program. One of the teachers reported that her class had sent a question to D&W about what struggles they may have had in school as young students. In response Meryl revealed that she had been diagnosed as dyslexic when she was in the third grade further talked about the difficulties she encountered in learning to read. The teacher indicated that Meryl's response had been a great help to one of her students who is also dyslexic. It's another nice story about a lovely young women that I thought some of you would be interested in.

11. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

So much to admire about her! What a hard worker she must be in school, attending a top college and her profiency in foreign languages. She really is an amazing woman.

12. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I love that this picture is on one of the Nationals tickets. :)

13. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Yes, this! In addition, I was doing some cultural anthropology reading (Meryl's major) a little while ago and it had me :eek:, soo difficult to read and parse through. Now obviously I do not know what Meryl has to read/do for class, but she has my utmost respect!

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to see Meryl and Charlie participating in programs like this. I'm sure their classrooms are so excited with each communication. And it must be wonderful for Meryl to see how her story is relevant and encouraging to a child! She and Charlie are such great role models. :)

15. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

16. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

:lol: Now I'm wondering what reading you were doing! I did a fair amount of cultural anthropology in undergrad and most of our readings were super interesting. (This has nothing to do with Meryl and Charlie, I know)

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

18. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I have been on the fence for months but with the clock ticking, I have realized I will kick myself if I pass up this opportunity to see Meryl and Charlie skate. So Omaha, here I come. (This is what credit cards are for right?)

19. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Good for you! Have fun!

20. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

:rofl: at the picture of what Charlie looks like in the morning.

21. TanithandBenFan

You're going to love it!!!!

22. MarieJessup

MarieJessup New Member

Is it just me or is the time till US Nationals moving slower than usual? I'm so excited to see Meryl and Charlie and what they've done with their FD since the GPF. While waiting, I can only imagine what the anticipation will be like next year with so much to look forward to at the Olympics. I wish them much good luck at their Nationals and of course at Worlds.

23. semogal

So are any of the regulars of this thread going to Nationals? (still amazed that I get to go!!!)

24. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I wish!! Being a poor college student does not leave any extra money, though. :/ My goal is 2014! But I'm so excited for everyone that gets to go to Ohama! I can't wait to start getting practice reports and such. Here's hoping Meryl and Charlie have a great competition!

25. TanithandBenFan

I'm getting there Wednesday! Will try to do some practice videos! (and not post on YouTube this time so they won't get deleted)

26. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

27. TanithandBenFan

28. semogal

Me too.

29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Great article and very touching story.

30. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Meryl and Charlie are without a doubt my all time favorite skaters. Not only are they fantastic skaters, they are wonderful people. So proud to be their fan!