Davis & White #15: The Polka Connection

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. CassAgain

CassAgain Well-Known Member

I love Magical Wizard Hair and They're Grrrrreat!.

I would add Davis and White #16: They're Working Hard because it's been their go-to quote this season and because it will never not be true.

2. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

They thought it was fantastic although Simon never forgets to remind us that he prefers V/M :lol:
    I must say I was a little disappointed with the commentary from them last night especially Chris :(
    He was rambling on about Cappellinis dirty boots how it just spoiled the whole thing for him :rolleyes:Then he was going on about Solovievs Pants :lol:
    They didn't think B/S were good especially their twizzles not covering the ice and their SLSS was empty.
    They thought V/M were wonderful too but said at this level any mistake could be costly .

Well done Meryl/Charlie you were amazing well worth staying up for !

3. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Here you go for Davis & White .. :)

As usual they're pretty quiet (thank goodness!) during skaters' programmes - saying only 'fantastic twizzles' and 'mind-blowing speed through that' and 'every step so clean'.

Following the programme:

Simon ' Listen to the roar, and remember this is a Canadian crowd, there's no doubt where their support is, but they know great skating when they see it and they saw it right there.
    Unbelieveable synchronisation, fun to watch, like it was fun to dance to, just one minor nit-pick though Chris, what about the matching costumes or does it not matter?'

Chris ' I don't think it matters. I think that's perfect for their choice of music. I thought that was absolutely brilliant. They were right on the money tonight. Beautifully clean, crisp. The sharpness from start to finish - second to none so far. The Canadians are going to have to go some to beat that. Speed across the ice was just amazing. The pattern that they carved out in the Yankee Polka was by far and away the biggest of anything we've seen so far. Just so sharp. Sometimes you feel they're giving it too much (laughs) - you've got to have your weight firmly over the skate and be in complete control when you're skating at this sort of speed and rotating like that - look at it. Amazing unison throught on those synchronised twizzles. Look at it - even under the scrutiny of the slow motion you can't fault them.'

Simon 'We've seen them through the year at the GP events and the GP final and the 4CC and I don't think they've skated it as well as that.'

Chris 'I think you're probably right. Yeah, for me it was sensational. I loved the little changes of rhythm throughout the circular step sequence and all those little pieces towards the judges, beautiful rotational lift there ...'

Simon 'It was foot perfect'

Chris 'They just make it look so easy don't they?'

Simon 'Yeah, when they slow it down it's almost at normal speed'

Both laugh

Chris ' Yes, looks like they both enjoyed themselves out there. Great job guys. Should be looking for a good score here'

(brief discussion of season's best score) then 'that was mighty good'

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  4. Piper

Piper Member

Ha.
    I got up at 4.30 in the morning to watch them - I just can't sleep, knowing they're skating somewhere.))

I feel a little weird at work right now...:D

Congratulations, everyone -they were incredible!

P.S. Russian commentator who admitted one more time, that he ALWAYS prefers V/M, said that today D/W were better. :D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  5. Piper

Piper Member

Mine, too)

6. brina

brina Well-Known Member

My vote for the new thread title is I Like The Way You Move.

7. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

8. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Do these various commentators who prefer V&M spell out exactly what qualities they prefer in their skating? If you like speed, power, and athleticism, as I do, then I think there's a clear difference between the teams. OTOH, there are definitely things that I think V&M do better, but I don't consider those as fundamental to the sport of ice dancing.

9. CassAgain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miO9t1TQNh8

Press conference excerpts--thanks to Sylvia in the SD thread.

Those crazy kids and their name card shenanigans.

Yes, I've been thinking that what Giselle is missing is matching costumes. Charlie needs a flouncy German peasant girl frock.

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Charlie is dressed like Albrecht from the ballet. The costume makes perfect sense.

11. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

:lol:

although I doubt that's what he was hoping for :)

12. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Ditto, their costumes are coordinated...matching is not necessary. By his standards they've been failing in the costume department for years now :duh:.

13. CassAgain

By all means let's go back to the matchy-matchy dresses and unitards of the '80s. Those were such good looks.

14. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I love Magical Wizard Hair, but I also love the "It was one of those dream skates" quote from Charlie. Is there any way to combine those two in a thread title?

15. comickiwi

comickiwi New Member

I know I'm a little late but I'm so happy for D/W! So awesome! And I love the way they were so calm and collected throughout even when getting those high scores.

16. comickiwi

comickiwi New Member

Re: the costumes

You would think that the commentators would just wiki the Giselle ballet story to see what the costumes represent :)

17. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

When I see "Magical Wizard Hair" the Beatle's Magical Mystery Tour pops into my head. Magical Wizard Hair coming to take me away!

18. Piper

Piper Member

Why, emotional connection, of course. ;)

19. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Obviously Charlie must wear a baby blue onsie. Embroidered in flowers.

Also, I do not think their FD costumes match, either. Better fix it by tomorrow! :rofl:

Costumes: it's a lot more important to portray the same idea than to wear the same color.

I'll probably be running an audition when Meryl and Charlie skate tomorrow. I will avoid all media and watch unspoiled.

20. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

21. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

(moved to new thread)