Davis & White #15: The Polka Connection

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

ITA!!

And I'm not saying it's wrapped up for them. Who knows what will happen in the FD.

2. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

That's the best I've seen the Shibs skate that all season. Fantastic.

And I know SD lifts are supposed to be simple, but I think every other couple has done almost the same lift.

3. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I was thinking the same thing!

4. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Exactly. Meryl & Charlie are still not a lock--they've got to be on their game. But hopefully this will take a bit of the edge off their nerves. :)

5. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

While I'm over the moon for Meryl and Charlie right now :D, I won't relax until the FD is over. Gotta say, though, I did breathe a big sigh of relief when their scores came up 3 points better than their previous SB.

They were perfection tonight :swoon:.

6. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I'm so happy for Meryl and Charlie!! Great job on the SD--Giselle is one of their best short programs ever, IMO. I'm hoping for great things in the FD!

7. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I can't wait for youtube videos.

8. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

9. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I totally agree. I dare to say it is the overall best SD since SDs were introduced and their second best short right after the iconic Bollywood OD.

I do believe they have even better things in store for the Olympic season, though!

10. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Thank you. :swoon:

11. neptune

I hope so. I think D&W fans should feel free to e-mail them any suggestions too! :)

12. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

13. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I loved their skate. Tracey even spoke about how great their line and positions were so I wonder about their placement?! Loved D/W and even thought they may have looked a little tight but I was wrong as Meryl even said it was their best performance.

14. neptune

I heard that V&M covered their ears so as not to hear D&W's score. Does anyone know if that's really true? If so, is this something they normally do?

15. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I've never heard of them doing that but someone else might know better.

16. Jessiebanana

Yeah, I'm no polka expert, so I'm trying to refrain from judgement, but I don't understand the middle placements at all. Elena and Nikita were so sloppy yet they're practically tied with the Shibs and Chock/Bates. Brobova and Solviev...I don't understand their placement at all. So much talk about them, but I truly don't see it. Upside is there isn't too much of a difference between 9th and 4th so I think the Bronze medal is pretty open. Politics wise it seems to be a game of giving it to anyone who isn't American or Canadian and since France had their turn last year I imagine it might go to the Russians.

17. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I just watched their performance again :swoon: they were magic out there and they looked so happy!

I was curious and wanted to see what PJ Kwong had to say, so I checked her twitter. Normally, even when V/M mess up, she says that they should be closer because of PCS but this time she actually agreed with the result! So either she's mellowing or she got a hold of some bad aged cheddar.

18. Jessiebanana

I could see why a team wouldn't want to psych themselves out, but I've never seen them do it.

19. Proustable

Proustable New Member

You don't think V/M will hold onto bronze?

20. Jessiebanana

Whoops that's a giant typo :eek:. I meant Bronze.

21. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Neptune, I saw it myself on CBC. They did a nice job covering it as a sport-just like any other where you show things that are going on.
    I mentioned in their thread about it and that I'd thought at their level they wouldn't need to do that at this point but left it at that. When they had to stop at 4CC was it before or after D/W skated? Can't recall and just wondered if nerves played a point in the stopping as we all know when in pain, nerves just adds to it. I like both teams + of course the Shibs and don't get their placement. Who cares if they are bro/sis. It's the skating that counts.

22. fanofskate

fanofskate New Member

Wow, Meryl and Charlie owned that ice! Congratulations to them. I had my laptop (a Russian feed I think) open on the kitchen counter while preparing for dinner so I won''t miss them. At first, I was so nervous for them, that it seemed to me they were a little tight but it must have been just my nerves being projected on to them.

23. neptune

Thanks, smileyskate.

It's pretty surprising. One would think earplugs would be a bit more discreet. ;)

After. :)

Things do seem a bit questionable about some of the middle placements. Well, at least we can be happy about the top one!

24. neptune

V&M won't have to cover their ears for the FD! :)

Starting order:

16 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR
    17 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE
    18 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE
    19 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV
    20 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT

It's cool that 7 teams (theoretically) are in contention for the bronze.

25. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I love that. I hope those teams all bring it!

26. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

FD skate order has been posted

The final group:

Warm-Up Group 4
    16 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN 2 73.87
    17 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA 5 67.93
    18 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE USA 1 77.12
    19 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS 3 70.05
    20 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT FRA 4 69.65

For once, Meryl and Charlie aren't skating before Tessa and Scott :D.

I expect V/M to lead off this group swinging for the stars. As they should -- it's exactly what Meryl and Charlie did skating first in their group tonight. This isn't a done deal, not by a long shot. They need to bring it the same way they would if their scores were separated by a few tenths of a point (not that they would ever give less than their all).

When watching live, I was on the Latvian stream....did anyone here watch the British Eurosport broadcast? What did Chris and Simon say about M/C's performance? What about V/M's?

27. Jessiebanana

Now that's all over can I make a really shallow comment. How shiny was Meryl's hair today?! It was so gorgeous it didn't look real, a perfect bun that didn't look like it had a lot of product in it.

28. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I'm curious about that, too. http://www.youtube.com/user/frida340 usually posts British Eurosport videos so I'll keep an eye out.

29. CassAgain

CassAgain Well-Known Member

Fantastic AP article with...interesting lead:

http://www.greenwichtime.com/sports...-program-at-1st-worlds-in-2-years-4355390.php
    There are more great quotes, but I didn't want to copy the whole article in here. :encore:

30. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Nice article!! And they really did look like they were having a great time out there. I love that the camera focuses in on Charlie in the ending pose. He has the biggest smile on his face!

I can't wait for the FD!