Davis & White #15: The Polka Connection

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Oh, I wish I had known about this! That rink (it's the Ashburn Ice House ;)) a little over an hour away from me. Had I known, I totally would have gone. Odd that the Wash FSC didn't have anything about it on their website.

2. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

OopsÂ…I do see it is Ashburn now :eek::lol: It is strange that even Meryl and Charlie did not tweet about this event? Perhaps it was extremely exclusive :lol:

3. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Add me to the group of people tired of SLY. I love Meryl and Charlie and I love this exhibition, when I saw it for the first time it made a huge impression on me by how mature and elegant and romantic it was. But enough is enough. I think the program is losing its uniqueness by being used so often, not to mention the song, which was quite new at the time they first used it, got so terribly overused it's hard to listen to right now. I'm sooooo fed up with it.

Dear Charlie and Meryl, I know you have probably more important things to work on, but please, I beg you, put us out of our misery and drop SLY already. At this point we'll be happy with you skating around and improvising, as long as it's not SLY again.

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

5. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

6. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

This has to be part of the next thread title. Even though "Davis and White and The Magical Wizard Hair" sounds like a J.K Rowling novel:D

7. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

YES! This moment can't be forgotten. It has to be the next thread title.

8. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Praying that Charlie's hair is not secretly a horcrux.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

10. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I wasn't prepared for the scream that fan lets out when D/W are announced :yikes: My poor cat wasn't either, she jumped and ran out of the room :cat:

11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol: ITA! Ha, ha, I just read that the name Meryl means "bright as the sea." So, perhaps the next D/W thread title could be:

Davis & White #16 Girl with sea-bright smile, Boy with magical wizard hair

Or: Mermaid & Golden-Haired Wizard Create Magic

Or: Bring Me to Life: Mona Lisa & The Wizard with Magical Hair

They could maybe even skate an exhibition to: Bring Me to Life by Evanescence
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOvgR_mWGco

Or, even create a FD re tale of beautiful girl in a painting brought to life by a boy with magical wizard hair. :)

:yikes: ;)
    On the darker end of the spectrum, there's a song written by a group called Swans entitled:
    Golden Boy Swallowed by the Sea

But when I think of Meryl and Charlie, I think of bright and wonderful things, so let's keep it bright, by all means!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  12. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

We're not that close to a new thread but, since I'm pretty sure Meryl's hair is also magic, I'd just go with MAGICAL WIZARD HAIR and leave it at that.

I agree with everyone else. I'd rather see DF or a resurrection of Beyond the Sea, Billy Jean, Don't Stop Me Now, etc. than see any more of Someone Like You. Especially with every other skater on earth doing Adele.

13. mollymgr

I like the Harry Potter-ish theme idea for a thread title. However, the rate at which this thread moves, I can see the magical wizard hair taking a summer break by the time we need a new thread :lol:. We might need some backup plans.

14. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Don't worry - when USA Nationals and 4CC approach it will be going much faster :).

Sorry - I am so incredibly late with my congratulations to Meryl and Charlie and all their fans. But now I am saying - those were two great skates! As a Tessa and Scott fan it was difficult for me to really appreciate them when watching the competition live, but later when I rewatched in a more peaceful mood, I could fully enjoy both performances :). But I must say that already when I watched both the SD and the FD live I had a feeling that they were going to win. No matter how I love Tessa and Scott's SD, I can see that as a polka Meryl and Charlie's SD is better - as many have said, they have made the polka a highlight of their dance. And that is already an advantage, even in the case if Tessa and Scott skate their SD technically just as well. As for the FD - for me, it's not quite as interesting as Tessa and Scott's FD, but it's still really beautiful (and, yes, quite emotional), and in this season's competitions so far it has looked smoother than Tessa and Scott's 'Carmen'. I won't go into reasons why that might be, but that's how it is (imho).

I also want to say - I am one of those who prefered the previous choreo/moves with the (first) bell sounds.

As for the title of this thread - I absolutely don't agree with people who say that Meryl and Charlie have no connection, no emotion, and so far. They definitely have a connection - as many people have said, it's just different from Tessa and Scott's connection.

Congratulations one more time!

15. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

D/W Ashburn Ice House performance

DF, not Someone Like You! :cheer:

16. mollymgr

Thanks for the link :)

17. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Great!

18. aftershocks

:lol: Yes, surely Meryl's hair is magical too, even tho' some have criticized how she styles it for Giselle SD. Yes, Meryl and Charlie are definitely both magical and they create magic together on the ice.

I still like the idea of Charlie bringing Meryl as painting to life though. :)

19. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

D/W looked a lot sharper and more refined than their rivals. Some V/M fans are saying V/M gets better as the season goes on and they will beat D/W by Worlds. Not sure but V/M looked kind of out of it, similar to 2011. I was more impressed with V/M's lift than D/W's but the rest of the program was D/W all the way. I see a lot more passion and feeling in D/W which is weird since Carmen is supposed to be such great program music. There has been so much press about the Carmen program's fire and sexuality, but I just didn't see it. They looked almost bored. I don't want to jinx it but D/W was so much better than the competition. I hope this bodes well for the future year and a half.

20. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

21. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I love it, too! So shows the anguish of Quasimodo and Esmerelda. Awesome!

22. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Thanks for the link

23. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

And here's SLY

24. aftershocks

Wow, what a treat for all those in attendance! Thanks for posting!

OMG, one of the best fs pictures I've EVER seen! :swoon: It absolutely must be blown up and used at the venue in Omaha to promote U.S. Nationals!!! Who is the photographer?! Oh, gorgeous, gorgeous. D/W fans should make a D/W calendar and get permission to use this photo for the cover. It totally captures the essence of their FD characters and also some of the magic in the Meryl + Charlie Magical Wizard Partnership!!! Their hair totally looks "magical wizardry" in this great photo. :D

Thanks for posting. :cheer:

25. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I found it on one of their fan Tumblr sites, but I couldn't link directly to it because the site name includes a bad word that was censored here. :lol: I didn't see any credit for the image, so I tried Google Image search to match it but no luck.

26. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

Whoops..

27. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

That is such a beautiful FD picture from probably one of my favorite moments. Those bells just get to me.

The wizard magic strikes again!

28. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

29. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

30. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

WOW. That is gorgeous.