Davis & White #15: The Polka Connection

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I found the headline extremely nasty.

This person also did an unpleasant interview with Patrick Chan that put him in a bad light.

It's by the same journalist, Pritha Sarkar, who wrote the controversial "Patrick Chan trapped between two worlds" article before the December 2011 Grand Prix Final: http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/1...dChannel=11709

for which Chan was hauled over the coals.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

3. DORISPULASKI

Yes, so do I. I guess skating is only supposed to be interesting in Reuters-World if there's a scandal :rolleyes: It appears Sarakar is a regular contributor over there.

4. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Yikes! When I first read the article I wondered if V/M or Plushy kicked her dog. That is great if she likes D/W but there was no need to stir a pot that is already starting to boil. When features are written this way I'm not sure whether she truly supports D/W or if she wants to send little digs to the skaters she dislikes.

5. volunteer

volunteer Member

What a horribly written article, all over the place, totally exaggeration of facts to incite controversy.

6. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Here is another one.

I'm wondering if DFP will have a new one tomorrow. They usually have one before all major events.

7. DORISPULASKI

Much nicer!

8. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

While the Rueters article did stir a boiling pot, I still liked what M&C had to say. I feel like they do, no sense to make a fuss, its in the past and we can't control it. I just want to see D/W as World champs again, that would be the best!

9. mollymgr

I agree :)

10. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Also as far as the title, we know to "put something on ice" means you don't do it, D/W don't throw tantrums. The fact that they are ice skaters does make the play on words a little weird, though.

11. mollymgr

She lost the effect in double punning it, like a double negative. :rofl:

12. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

It worked in the sense that it let you know the rest of the article would be poorly written. ;)

13. mollymgr

New Classroom Champions video with a special appearance by DJ :dog::cheer2:.

14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Thanks! DJ is such a cutie!

15. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting. They are wonderful role models and i am so happy they are doing this video series. And i love the interaction between Meryl and DJ--"furry friends are the best!" indeed:)

16. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

17. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this!

18. jobelle

jobelle Member

Goodness! I don't think I've watched that particular performance in a few years .... I usually prefer to go back and watch their Olympics one instead. The amount of improvement between nationals and the Olympics that year is pretty incredible. But their improvement between the Olympics and now is even more incredible IMO.

19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

What do you all think about the notion that the USFSA is making an effort to get M/C another World title? I see interviews from the usual pre Worlds teleconference. But other than the human interest angle in that Canadian article about Meryl's grandmother and the crazy Reuters article I don't see anything out of the ordinary. And for those 2 I can't see USFSA being behind them. I still don't see them caring so much about dance (or pairs really).

20. mollymgr

I think the USFSA fulfills the minimum support requirement, when it comes to ice dance/pairs, with an article or press conference here and there. All other articles were independently written or they would've showed up on icenetwork or the USFSA website, which is essentially their official stamp of approval. The only time USFSA gets excited is when Evan is attempting a comeback or they see potential in the next ladies champion. In that case, one doesn't have any doubt whether the USFSA is making an effort.

21. DORISPULASKI

Exactly so. No sooner did Ashley Wagner qualify for the GPF then the icenetwork (wholly owned by USFSA) GPF ads were a big picture of Ashley and a tiny little one of Meryl & Charlie...and that's how USFSA views things, IMO.

And for that matter, as part of their stuff they ran a nice puff piece on Tessa & Scott reworking their SD before 4CCs.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130111&content_id=40926978&vkey=ice_news

BTW, Lynn Rutherford who wrote the piece is not an occasional writer for IN, but perhaps their most frequent writer.

The one thing they did that might have been strategic is to tell Lois Elfman, when she asked, to use the most recent version of their FDs to show to whomever she picked as a dancer to critique programs, when the most recent V&M FD was Canadian Nationals, and the most recent D&W version was GPF. I thought V&M's Canadians performance was perhaps their weakest of the season (they had changed quite a lot of parts since GPF); that might have been strategic by USFSA. Or just obliviousness.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  22. mollymgr

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130211&content_id=41530112&vkey=ice_news
    HmmmÂ…according to Lois' response from facebook:
    The video of Davis & White came from the U.S. Championships. The video of Virtue & Moir came from the Canadian Championships (I gave him the links prior to 4C). The Russian and Italian teams were their free dances from the European Championships. So for each it was the most recent free dance.

So I don't think the USFSA had anything to do with that. She just picked the most recent ones for each team.

23. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I have news for you that may come as quite a shock, so hold on to your hats. PJ Kwong has predicted that V/M will win the 2013 world title.

If one needed more proof as to the fact that she is a blind uber (and a hyporcite) then you need look no further than her worlds predictions. She predicts Javier Fernandez(yay!) will win the world title based on "momentum" and, in her own words, Patrick Chan's season of "inconsistent results". Yet, when we get to dance, where V/M have had a season of inconsistent results, have yet to win, and momentum behind D/W, she predicts V/M will win.

Oh well, I hope D/W win! Mainly because I love them, and also because I'm dying to know what PJ will compare them to next. My money is on labelling V/M a fine aged Chardonnay and D/W a box of Zinfandel.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  24. mollymgr

I always rely on my trusty box of Zinfandel when I'm going through some rough times. It washes down my pack of Kraft slices with ease. :lol:

25. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl:

26. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

It's so frustrating, too. Ashley (and I really enjoy her and do want her to do well, and this is hardly her fault) wins her GP events and she's got sponsors coming from left and right. Meryl and Charlie could gild an entire house with their gold medals and they're world champions and only now do they get a large corporate sponsor? It's not as though they're not marketable. They're gorgeous, warm, professional people.

But ranting about it won't do anything except raise my blood pressure. :lol:

Whatever, then. I love them, and will always love them, even if PJ Kwong thinks they're Kraft singles and cold duck and the powers-that-be don't care about ice dancing.

27. DORISPULASKI

28. mollymgr

It will be easy to match the flavors on the right to their SD and FD costumes. :lol:

29. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

:rofl: D/W victory dinner!

30. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

:rofl: Thank you. I needed a good laugh tonight.