Davis & White #15: The Polka Connection

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Of course, I had a typo too. whoops (slinks away).
  2. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Nancy's tweets are always a complete riot. Her criticisms of music choices should be carved in stone.
  3. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

4. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Love the US sports coverage-somehow it's easier to see the very nice reaction they got from the audience :cheer2:
  5. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. I love getting to hear Tanith's commentary.

Congrats to Meryl and Charlie. That was just perfection.
  6. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Meryl & Charlie were just perfection tonight. :swoon: I loved every moment of their SD, and I hope they come out ready to attack in the FD and enjoy the moment.

They are true competitors!
  7. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Love Tanith and no echo!

But why are Weaver and Poje missing from the standings at the end of the video? I hope they haven't had to pull out.
  8. neptune

neptune New Member

Hey, shan, why don't you e-mail the organizers? Maybe they'll decide to have it tomorrow instead! :)
  9. neptune

neptune New Member

Are we talking about Nancy Kerrigan? What does she say?

"If it's not Neil Diamond, it's just an imitation!!"???? ;)
  10. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

:lol: No, no, Nancy Armour, who wrote that article.
  11. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Congratulations Meryl and Charlie:)
    That was a very precise performance and a deserved first place standing. I am glad they were able to nail the SD and I hope they have a great performance in the FD.
  12. neptune

neptune New Member

Oh, OK, thanks for the clarification. :D
  13. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

What a lovely performance! Their best of the season, truly. I'll be sad to see it go, but can't wait to see what they give us next year! I thought their lines looked improved tonight, and the patterns of the YP looked fuller IMO as well. I do think they can still finish out their moves more, but they have really come so far on that. Can't wait for the FD!
  14. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'm glad you said this. The placements from 3 to 9 have bothered me and I do NOT consider myself a North American uber. But tonight I thought W/P, C/B and the Shibs were better than the people placed above them. But I will admit I'm no expert and might not have enough knowledge about the sport. Tell me I'm wrong--please! Oh and congrats to D/W and keep your chin up V/M!
  15. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

The PCS is always going to be a headscratcher. I've seen so many conflicting opinions about teams 3-9, and even some people debating that Tessa and Scott were too high compared to their previous outings. I'm just glad that Meryl and Charlie got what they deserved. And beat their own world record!
  16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Great video!! :) I'll probably watch it a million times!
  17. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

A new title is needed-the thread won't last out the FD.
  18. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

Inspired by the Kellogs sponsorship: "They're Grrrrreat"
  19. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

I am so glad I don't work Saturday. There is know way on the planet I would be able to focus without knowing the results.
  20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

21. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

22. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Did we have any additional ideas for names when we made this one? I can't remember back far enough now.

They're Grrreat! definitely belongs on the list of ideas.
  23. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Meryl and Charlie skated perfectly and everyone knew it. Not much more to say. :lol:
    shan and (deleted member) like this.
  24. neptune

neptune New Member

How about:

Davis & White 16: Do some charity work! Make a mistake, why dontcha??!!! ;)
  25. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

26. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Well, that's kinda tempting fate.

There were some recent D-W quotes I really liked. Maybe we can make something from one of these:

"... at the end of the day if we can sit down and look each other in the eye and say we did everything that we could, we're going to be happy and we're not going to feel the need to belittle anyone or disagree publicly with anyone."

Davis said this skate is one she'll remember years down the road. A magical moment that "gives you tingles, that you get giddy about," she said.

"It's a really good sign when, from beginning to end, you're having a good time," White said. "It was one of those dream skates."

More Good Time Tingles?
  27. neptune

neptune New Member

Hey, sometimes it pays to walk on the wild side. ;)

Or, Let the Good Times Roll. :)
  28. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

For new thread title, what happened to: Magical Wizard Hair idea?? :)

But, ahhh, Let the Good Times Roll sounds prophetic. :D

ETA:
    :lol: some possibilities:

There ain't no words
    For the beauty, the splendor, the wonder ...

Flow it, show it ...

Ga ga at the go go ...
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  29. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

My vote must go to Magical Wizard Hair. :saint:
  30. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

All i can say is thank God for D&W. As an American considering how crappy our Pairs teams are right now and also no contenders in Men's and no medals in Ladies since 2006 this team keeps the US relevant at Worlds year after year after year. They are great role models and team leaders and also tough as can be competitors. They make us all proud.
  31. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

I love Magical Wizard Hair and They're Grrrrreat!.

I would add Davis and White #16: They're Working Hard because it's been their go-to quote this season and because it will never not be true.
  32. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

They thought it was fantastic although Simon never forgets to remind us that he prefers V/M :lol:
    I must say I was a little disappointed with the commentary from them last night especially Chris :(
    He was rambling on about Cappellinis dirty boots how it just spoiled the whole thing for him :rolleyes:Then he was going on about Solovievs Pants :lol:
    They didn't think B/S were good especially their twizzles not covering the ice and their SLSS was empty.
    They thought V/M were wonderful too but said at this level any mistake could be costly .

Well done Meryl/Charlie you were amazing well worth staying up for !
  33. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Here you go for Davis & White .. :)

As usual they're pretty quiet (thank goodness!) during skaters' programmes - saying only 'fantastic twizzles' and 'mind-blowing speed through that' and 'every step so clean'.

Following the programme:

Simon ' Listen to the roar, and remember this is a Canadian crowd, there's no doubt where their support is, but they know great skating when they see it and they saw it right there.
    Unbelieveable synchronisation, fun to watch, like it was fun to dance to, just one minor nit-pick though Chris, what about the matching costumes or does it not matter?'

Chris ' I don't think it matters. I think that's perfect for their choice of music. I thought that was absolutely brilliant. They were right on the money tonight. Beautifully clean, crisp. The sharpness from start to finish - second to none so far. The Canadians are going to have to go some to beat that. Speed across the ice was just amazing. The pattern that they carved out in the Yankee Polka was by far and away the biggest of anything we've seen so far. Just so sharp. Sometimes you feel they're giving it too much (laughs) - you've got to have your weight firmly over the skate and be in complete control when you're skating at this sort of speed and rotating like that - look at it. Amazing unison throught on those synchronised twizzles. Look at it - even under the scrutiny of the slow motion you can't fault them.'

Simon 'We've seen them through the year at the GP events and the GP final and the 4CC and I don't think they've skated it as well as that.'

Chris 'I think you're probably right. Yeah, for me it was sensational. I loved the little changes of rhythm throughout the circular step sequence and all those little pieces towards the judges, beautiful rotational lift there ...'

Simon 'It was foot perfect'

Chris 'They just make it look so easy don't they?'

Simon 'Yeah, when they slow it down it's almost at normal speed'

Both laugh

Chris ' Yes, looks like they both enjoyed themselves out there. Great job guys. Should be looking for a good score here'

(brief discussion of season's best score) then 'that was mighty good'
  34. Piper

Piper Member

Ha.
    I got up at 4.30 in the morning to watch them - I just can't sleep, knowing they're skating somewhere.))

I feel a little weird at work right now...:D

Congratulations, everyone -they were incredible!

P.S. Russian commentator who admitted one more time, that he ALWAYS prefers V/M, said that today D/W were better. :D
  35. Piper

Piper Member

Mine, too)
  36. brina

brina Well-Known Member

My vote for the new thread title is I Like The Way You Move.
  37. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

38. neptune

neptune New Member

Do these various commentators who prefer V&M spell out exactly what qualities they prefer in their skating? If you like speed, power, and athleticism, as I do, then I think there's a clear difference between the teams. OTOH, there are definitely things that I think V&M do better, but I don't consider those as fundamental to the sport of ice dancing.
  39. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miO9t1TQNh8

Press conference excerpts--thanks to Sylvia in the SD thread.

Those crazy kids and their name card shenanigans.

Yes, I've been thinking that what Giselle is missing is matching costumes. Charlie needs a flouncy German peasant girl frock.
  40. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Charlie is dressed like Albrecht from the ballet. The costume makes perfect sense.