Davis & White #15: The Polka Connection

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Seriously! I would actually watch DWTS if they were on it. I know Meryl (or Charlie) said they aren't qualified due to their dancing skillz, but I wish an exception could be made. I don't even know if they'd go for it but I wish they could at least appear on it!

And it looks like Meryl and Charlie were up to something this weekend!

@tankboy NBD, just me hanging with @Meryl_Davis & @CharlieaWhite. Such incredibly great people. (cl related) http://t.co/c6MfZR0V

2. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I wonder if he filmed M&C's Kelloggs promo. From his blog, it sounds like he was with a skier in CO shortly before his trip to Detroit, and he's a Creative Director. :)

3. missysays

missysays Active Member

I think that's a great idea as well! Would love to see them compete against each other on DWTS- that would be so much fun. :D

Though one thought occurs to me- can you participate in DWTS if you've had ballroom dance training? Is that an unfair advantage? I know Kristi Y back in the day had a great advantage because she had dance training and also pair partnering but no real ballroom dance training. Have Meryl and Charlie had enough ballroom dance training that it would be too much of an advantage? I know they were choreographed and taught by a ballroom dancer for their Latin SD- does that count?

I remember I saw a youtube video somewhere of Ben Agosto trying out some moves with Anna Trebunskaya of DWTS fame when she was training with Evan. Now, he would have been a riot on DWTS.

4. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Ben would have been a hoot.

Heck he would still be a hoot.

They've had people with dance training on dwts before-it depends on who the show organizers want; it's not like it's the Olympics or something.

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

6. DORISPULASKI

They certainly are doing a lot of speculating there.

BTW, I was (and still am) looking for a really good HD video of 4CC FD...but what I found was a really good no commentary HD video of their Skate America Short Dance...this is still my favorite SD performance of the season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibI3DBfopgc

7. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

8. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I ended up watching a lot of their videos. They articulate their point of view well.

Jenny is pretty, knowledgeable and articulate. Why does IN stick us with Tonia?

9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see the Kellogg's profile. :)

10. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I think it's interesting that they place most of the connection troubles on Meryl, cause I think we tend to think of it as something Charlie isn't projecting. I do agree that Meryl is a bit more beautiful and understated, which kind of sounds like a backhanded compliment, but I know what they mean.

I disagree with the personal life bit. Part of what was hard to watch about the Hubbells is that they both portrayed sexy very well...but were siblings. I don't think you have to have anything happening in your personal life to come of that way on the ice. I think it comes down to being more of an introvert versus an exhibitionist. It's no shock some of the best stage actors and dancers are absolute and complete hams. I think dating in your personal is reflected more in the stability of your performance than necessarily in the intensity and you don't see that in V/M the way you see that with other teams who are.

I wonder if the choreography problems in their program have to do with how much influence each team is choosing to have in it, now that they are top teams and can.

I absolutely agree about the Shibutanis, though I will say I think the uncertainty of them making the Olympic team has as much to do with the them falling as it does with the amount of ice dance talent we have in our country and it's exciting, especially considering 2 out of 3 of those teams are new. I feel like that's the way good competition should be. All three slots shouldn't be set years in advance. Some consistency reflects accurate judging, but too much consistency reflects either weak competition or fixed judging. I'm stoked that our 2nd, 3rd and 4th place teams would all probably be at least the 2nd place team in other countries. It's puts us in a really good spot when Meryl and Charlie retire.

Overall I like them a lot. Thank you for introducing me to their channel!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  11. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I pretty much agree! Meryl has always been quite expressive. She knows how to get into a character, stay in that character, and project that character. Charlie is just not a natural actor. But he's worked on it, and his Quasi is pretty darn stunning. Although he is such a full-body performer that his lack of facial expression probably doesn't come through to those who favor watching him over watching Meryl (where I watch Meryl most of the time, the Eurosport boys GUSH over Charlie and rarely say anything about Meryl). He takes everything to its fullest. ON THE LIMIT. AT A TEN. As Nicky or Chris would say. :lol:

As far as the Shibs go, I think it's just a combination of problem programs and, like you said, amazing talent finally getting polished. Madison and Evan had a rather dodgy debut season, after all. I sort of suspected that if they got it together, they would be great. If the Shibs had not received two points of extended lift deductions at Nats, they'd have been in silver and been second in the FD. They still get higher PCS. It's their SD that is causing them problems this time, and both programs were basically a bit lackluster last year. But their debut package was so great that it would have been hard to top right away. Next season, with the Finnstep, they better have a total A GAME SHORT DANCE. They are a gorgeous couple and an absolute asset to Team USA, in terms of their off-ice creativity and personalities.

12. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

His skating has that quality that gymnastics scoring used to call amplitude. Six athletes can do the same move cleanly, but one of them just looks bigger and more impressive. I'm not sure there is a place to reward that in either sport these days.

13. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

14. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

YES to a DWTS with Ben Agosto and Meryl and Charlie. I never watch the show but I'd tune in for that.

15. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

That would definitely be worth watching -- at least for the time at least one of those three are there.

16. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Would they be cast as the amateurs, or as the professionals? I can't really see them fitting in either group.

I'd love to see them on a show like SYTYCD.

17. DORISPULASKI

Well, if I were doing the show (which of course :rofl: no one would ever want), it would be all ice dancers as amateurs, with the couples split up dancing with professionals. It would answer the endless questions about who is the best male dancer, who the best female dancers (plus I'd get to see a lot more of my favorite ice dancers.

But what might happen is an all Olympic show? That might be fun, too.

18. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I was just watching their 4CC ex with my mom (she's not a regular skating fan, just sometimes joins me when I'm watching) and just a couple of seconds into the program she asked me if they were an off ice couple.

Which for me is a pretty good proof that their connection is more than fine.

Just to join the discussion about concentrating on Meryl vs concentrating on Charlie - for me part of what makes them such an incredible dance team is that they both keep my attention equally, while in most other teams (V/M included) it's the girl that grabs all attention (hell, in the case of many teams I don't even know what the guy looks like, cause I have all of my attention on the girl). This is also why I think Charlie is one of the best male ice dancers I've seen, it takes a hell lot for a guy to be as much noticeable as Meryl Davis.

And then not every female ice dancer would still be noticeable skating with a guy like Charlie White. They were truly made for each other.

19. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I agree, mia, that they are made for each other. I'm the same way, watching them both. They are both so exciting in their movements and I think their expression is incredible, they project to the top seats, truly inviting the audience to experience their joy of skating. No other dance team gives me that feeling of excitement combined with excellence in technique. When I think of other dance teams there are some that have that excitement factor for me, W/P and I/K for example, but they don't equal them in tech excellence. Can't argue V/M's technique and they used to have that excitement factor for me but it disappeared along the way. I even saw them live and while I admired their performance, they just didn't give me that thrill. It's funny how there's just always that intangible quality that makes you enjoy one skater or team over another.

20. Whitneyskates

On the subject of DWTS. I think it would be cool if, after the olympics, they did something like DWTS with a twist, take the pros from DTWTS and pair them with an ice dancer. It would be fun to see the pros become the students.

21. DORISPULASKI

That would be cool, too-
    :)

you mean in the vein of the Torvill & Dean reality show on the BBC where celebrities skate, only this time it will be dancers learning to dance on skates?

I think that would work, especially since so many of the DWTS folks have worked with teams in Michigan (& I think Canada as well??)

It would be cool to have the students teaching the teachers.

22. Whitneyskates

Yes, like a ballroom competition on ice :cool:

23. ~tapdancer~

For some reason I was thinking Worlds were at the end of March...woohoo, its right around the corner!

24. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I feel more nervous about this Worlds than any other, I think!

25. ~tapdancer~

Yeah me too but I trust Meryl and Charlie to be ready to fight!

26. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

27. shan

shan Well-Known Member

28. ~tapdancer~

Gorgeous montage! So perfect with that amazing Hans Zimmer music. Meryl and Charlie just give me goosebumps every time I watch them skate! Thanks for the link!

29. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Oh my god Time. I listen to that song and it makes me want to roll on the floor sobbing.

What a gorgeous montage.

30. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I've thought for a while that D/W would be :swoon: to music from Inception. I admit it would be too abstract to really work, but a gal can dream. :lol: