Davis & White #15: The Polka Connection

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Circuscandy I hope your tumblr does not go on forever cause I'm in love. I can't get enough, everything is so good and not just in the aesthetic sense. I read something about there once being a story and you working on being published? Will you let me know when you are?!
  2. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I really doubt it. I'd be really shocked if they were.
  3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Outside of home, the first place I would love to see a skating competition is Canada. I think they've always been an enthusiastic and gracious audience. They could not have liked the outcome when Boitano won gold but you would never know it from their reaction. I don't know who will be atop of each podium next week but I'm glad I am going to see skaters in full arenas with folks who truly love and understand the sport.
  4. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I hope we don't have to hear "Canada! Canada!" being chanted as Meryl and Charlie take the ice as we did at the Olympics. Cheer for your own people on their time, thank you very much.
  5. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Circuscandy, your picture reminds me how much I am looking forward to that exhibition. I'm staying the extra day just to see that live. ;) :D
  6. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

literaryfreak, I hope you'll come back and tell us all about it.

I have attended 2 really nice competitions in Canada, and at both, I the Canadian fans on the whole to be very kind to all the skaters, & very appreciative of good skating from any competitors when they see it; however, I haven't liked some of the stuff I've been readin here at FSU lately, and hope those people who are planning ahead of time to boo are just a small minority that will be drowned out by everyone else, or that they are just blowing off steam and won't really do it.
  7. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Where have you read about people planning to boo?!
  8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

People really did that? Had V/M just skated and it was left over reaction? That's disappointing to hear.

I really hope not....

Well this post is not someone planning to boo but I would say is of the same mentality.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...Road-to-home&p=3856234&viewfull=1#post3856234
  9. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

That is so amazing circuscandy. Very cool indeed. :cool:

What was the crowd like at the GPF in Quebec City?

Looking good!
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  10. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

M&C skated first after the warm-up, and the chanting began as the other skaters left the ice.

GPF crowd was fine, but since Scott fell in the SD and V/M were so far behind, there wasn't much doubt what the results would be. Not nearly as much energy in the crowd.
  11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Oh so overeager fans.
  12. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

Oh how classy, hoping teams get booed. :rolleyes:
  13. mollymgr

Definitely in a class of their own. :lol:
  14. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Thank you so so much! I am agent hunting for my novel at the moment (sadly, it lacks Meryl and Charlie and contains, surprisingly, a lot of circus!) and I will certainly let you know if/when anything happens!

Right? Sigh. I can't say I've ever hoped Tessa and Scott get booed. I can't say I've ever hoped that an athlete get booed at all. And I don't think Canada would want to go from having a reputation for being polite to having a reputation for being completely rude (as that comment says).

It's gonna be a fun week! :lol:
  15. mollymgr

16. DORISPULASKI

And that's Reuters, not USA Today or Phil Hersh. :confused:

I'm wishing them two perfect performances in London :)
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  17. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Awful headline, and the article wasn't any better. I'm not even a D/W fan, but they deserve better than rehashed wuzrobbing (with some snide comments about Plushenko thrown in -:huh:). I checked what Sarkar wrote about last year's Worlds, and she tends to attribute things to skaters that they don't actually say outright - also, it doesn't look as though she felt that strongly about the results at the time. I just don't understand why it is that hard to write an article about what makes Meryl and Charlie special and successful without resorting to negativity about various other people involved in the sport... any number of FSUers could have done a better job of highlighting their strengths and appeal.
  18. DORISPULASKI

I can't think why Reuters issued that article? thinking to drum up interest for worlds? Why people would read year old news, who knows?
  19. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

The article isn't a year old. The whinging about the results in Nice is, however, a year old.
  20. mollymgr

I don't see anything wrong with the article.
    They said they would like to focus on what they can control. Are people expecting them to say that they were happy with their result last year? It is good because they are more hungry for the title this year than last year. The results in Nice were mentioned in the context of these things. That needed to be said a year later.
  21. DORISPULASKI

I found the headline extremely nasty.

This person also did an unpleasant interview with Patrick Chan that put him in a bad light.

It's by the same journalist, Pritha Sarkar, who wrote the controversial "Patrick Chan trapped between two worlds" article before the December 2011 Grand Prix Final: http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/1...dChannel=11709

for which Chan was hauled over the coals.
  22. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

23. DORISPULASKI

Yes, so do I. I guess skating is only supposed to be interesting in Reuters-World if there's a scandal :rolleyes: It appears Sarakar is a regular contributor over there.
  24. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Yikes! When I first read the article I wondered if V/M or Plushy kicked her dog. That is great if she likes D/W but there was no need to stir a pot that is already starting to boil. When features are written this way I'm not sure whether she truly supports D/W or if she wants to send little digs to the skaters she dislikes.
  25. volunteer

volunteer Member

What a horribly written article, all over the place, totally exaggeration of facts to incite controversy.
  26. mollymgr

Here is another one.

I'm wondering if DFP will have a new one tomorrow. They usually have one before all major events.
  27. DORISPULASKI

28. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

While the Rueters article did stir a boiling pot, I still liked what M&C had to say. I feel like they do, no sense to make a fuss, its in the past and we can't control it. I just want to see D/W as World champs again, that would be the best!
  29. mollymgr

I agree :)
  30. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Also as far as the title, we know to "put something on ice" means you don't do it, D/W don't throw tantrums. The fact that they are ice skaters does make the play on words a little weird, though.
  31. mollymgr

She lost the effect in double punning it, like a double negative. :rofl:
  32. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

It worked in the sense that it let you know the rest of the article would be poorly written. ;)
  33. mollymgr

New Classroom Champions video with a special appearance by DJ :dog::cheer2:.
  34. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Thanks! DJ is such a cutie!
  35. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Thank you for posting. They are wonderful role models and i am so happy they are doing this video series. And i love the interaction between Meryl and DJ--"furry friends are the best!" indeed:)
  36. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

37. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this!
  38. jobelle

jobelle Member

Goodness! I don't think I've watched that particular performance in a few years .... I usually prefer to go back and watch their Olympics one instead. The amount of improvement between nationals and the Olympics that year is pretty incredible. But their improvement between the Olympics and now is even more incredible IMO.
  39. shan

shan Well-Known Member

What do you all think about the notion that the USFSA is making an effort to get M/C another World title? I see interviews from the usual pre Worlds teleconference. But other than the human interest angle in that Canadian article about Meryl's grandmother and the crazy Reuters article I don't see anything out of the ordinary. And for those 2 I can't see USFSA being behind them. I still don't see them caring so much about dance (or pairs really).
  40. mollymgr

I think the USFSA fulfills the minimum support requirement, when it comes to ice dance/pairs, with an article or press conference here and there. All other articles were independently written or they would've showed up on icenetwork or the USFSA website, which is essentially their official stamp of approval. The only time USFSA gets excited is when Evan is attempting a comeback or they see potential in the next ladies champion. In that case, one doesn't have any doubt whether the USFSA is making an effort.