Davis & White #15: The Polka Connection

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

You can sign up for the "digitallite" option where you are allowed 5 free articles a month. That's what I did in order to be able to read the article.

2. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I can't handle Chanada right now. I would say I hope he falls on his face, but knowing his record that will have absolutely zero effect on his score.

3. Jessiebanana

Woah, so much happening.

Discussing their main competition, is relevant to me, you may disagree, in regards to Meryl and Charlie. They aren't competing in a bubble. Those are my reasons and I feel perfectly fine doing so here. I'm not fans of theirs, so I don't hang out in their forums. I don't think I have to make apologies.
    Tessa/Scott aren't monsters, why shouldn't I feel compassion for their situation. I'm not crying a river, but I am interested. Just because some other group is being nasty, doesn't mean I have to be.
    Yes they practice stopping and going, but I don't think any competitor in ice dance or floor dance would want to be judged on their practice run. It isn't as amazing as the performance in full, even with getting tired. Like I said, programs build in intensity, sections contrast and flow. You lose all that with breaks.
    Asthma differs in severity, so no one can speak on behalf of all people with asthma. Whether Charlie's asthma is as bad as Tessa's knee was, I can't say. I don't think it is. If you look at someone like Yuzu Hanyu though, he is incredibly impacted by his asthma. He trains for shorter periods of time than most skaters...it's amazing what he is overcoming and doing so well.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Just saying, but my grandmother died of asthma, and so did the 24 year old fiancee of a friend. There's a lot of variation in how serious asthma is; it depends on the person. It's impossible to know what is worse than what else.

I would say that Charlie's asthma is less of a problem than Tessa's legs...my grandmother's asthma (she died before I was born) more of a problem than Tessa's legs. But I don't really know.

5. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

jeez

From the asthma.org.uk website

On average, 3 people per day or 1 person every 8 hours dies from asthma

6. DORISPULASKI

Is that in the UK alone?

7. mia joy

mia joy New Member

OMG, this is such brilliance. Their connection is beyond amazing this season. I adore the genuinely warm feelings they have for each other.
    I seriously cannot believe how much in love with these two I am, from their skating through their personalities to how hot and beautiful they both are. Meryl truly is like a magical nymph too perfect for this world and Charlie might be one of the most attention-grabbing male ice dancers ever.

I was obsessed with only one dance team before Charlie and Meryl, but at this point I can honestly say D/W are my favourite ice dancers of all time.

As for worlds, if it wasn't the last season before the Olys, I would say, what the hell, they already won GPF and 4CC and losing in Canada would be understandable. But I just need them to go into the Olympic season as the title holders...
    btw, why does it always have to be so freaking unfair for them? they already had to deal with competing against Tessa and Scott at the Olympics and now it happens again at a competition setting them up for the Olympic season.

Can't believe they're this close and yet this far from another undefeated season.

8. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Number of people worldwide who die of asthma in an average year: 250,000
    Number of people worldwide who die of chronic exertional compartment syndrome in an average year: 0

And since I can already see the "Yeah, but most of those people who die live in developing countries," number of people who die in the United States of asthma on an average day: 9
    Number of people in the US who die of chronic exertional compartment syndrome in on an average day: 0

I guess "practically nothing" rather depends on your point of view.

9. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

ITA, but why should be it understandable in terms of their losing in Canada? This shouldn't even enter into the judging equation, but yet it does.

10. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

At this point, I am pretty convinced that rainbowkisses is just on the boards to stir the pot (I feel like it's the reincarnation of sliver98). I can't possibly believe that someone who previously took issue with ableism with respect to CECS would be so dismissive when it comes to a condition so serious as asthma.

ITA. He never bothers to back up his assertions with examples of how the system is being incorrectly applied or dismissed altogether. It is incredibly frustrating.

how "respectful".

Thanks for the link, Doris. It is nice to be able to watch this performance again and again. That is one of my favourite songs from Nashville, so it is a real treat to see Meryl and Charlie skate to it. I hope they do CSOI and perform it there:)

Also, are there any vids from M&C meeting their fans in Japan? As a Jeremy Abbott uber, I have been spoiled with such vids (when fans bring cards and gifts), and I would love to see Meryl and Charlie meeting with their wonderful Japanese fans. I'll post if I see anything.

11. Jessiebanana

Oh, I'm sorry...can't take a joke :rolleyes:. I should always remember to log in first...

12. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

And just when I thought that the rotational lift from Tango was gone, BAM they include it here :)
    Thank you!

Ignorance is hard to hide, isn't it?:rolleyes:

13. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

14. Bournekraatzfan

The humour was lost on me but the irony wasn't...

lucky you! I have always wanted to meet Tanith! I hear she is wonderful with the fans. I hope you get to meet Meryl and Charlie one day:)

I love the wallpaper or whatever you call that thing on their facebook page (I'm not all that great with social media). They have so many lovely pics. I still think DJ should make it onto the home page;)

15. Jessiebanana

16. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Ok, I must have missed something. Who the hell is DJ???

17. Jessiebanana

Charlie's dog! Well I think he's Charlie's not Meryl's. It's been a while.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  18. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I believe DJ is Tanith's dog. Full name is DJ Tanner, named after the character from Full House.

19. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

DJ is Tanith's dog and now "adopted" by Charlie since they live together. :)

20. Bournekraatzfan

21. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Thanks guys! makes sense now ;) I kinda thought DJ was Meryl's mysterious boyfriend or sth, since he was hanging out with Tanith :lol:

22. mollymgr

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  23. comickiwi

comickiwi New Member

Hi everyone, this is off-topic but I wanted to know how the teams come up with programs. Sorry for the amateur questions, everyone.

I know that M&C's programs are always credited to Marina but sometimes I hear that they had help with the different elements and so on. Does it mean they have a person responsible to compose different parts of the program? Like Marina comes up with the structure but someone else does transitions, steps, lifts and so on and then they piece it together? Was thinking this is the reason why some of the programs seem rather disjointed...

Also, this means that you have to have the money to employ the best to get all this done right?

24. mollymgr

25. DORISPULASKI

Yes you have to have the money.

I'd love to have more info about how they come up with programs, but we do know a few things:

1. Notre Dame de Paris was music Meryl has wanted to skate to for a long time.
    2. Phantom of the Opera was music Charlie really liked
    3. Die Fledermaus was something Marina always wanted them to skate to, but Charlie resisted because he doesn't like skating in a tux (He should be loving skating NDdP in his tshirt & what look like practice pants :lol:
    4. Marina thought of Bollywood when she was inspired by a Hermes scarf, if I am remembering this right.

They hired consultants for Tango (I forget who it was), Bollywood (an India dance teacher) & Giselle (ballet), and for their last year's OD

The Shibs hired Corky Ballas for Latin

Tessa & Scott took Flamenco lessons for their 2010 OD, and used Ms. Swan, Tessa's modern dance teacher, to help with Carmen & their 2009 Pink Floyd.

I'm always interested in other details.

26. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I truly believe it is impossible to succeed in skating if you don't have money backing you up. (And I don't mean this as using bribes at all- but everything in skating takes money. From ice time, to equipment, to coaches, choreographers, off-ice, everything is money.)

27. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I like hearing about musical choices and the evolution thereof....also thanks for posting "Fade Into You"---one of my favorite exhibitions in any discipline.

28. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Saw DJ at Nationals as he trotted along with Tanith through the lobby of the Hilton like he owned it;so cute. Frank Carroll was watching him along with me and started telling me how he missed his dogs. :)

29. Jessiebanana

Too Cute! I love this picture from the summer.
    http://i52.tinypic.com/2h2jak1.jpg

30. suki

suki New Member

Charlie and DJ have the same hair:lol:

And is just me, or does Charlie resemble a blonde version of the British actor Colin Firth (Pride & Prejudice, The King's Speech, Bridget Jones' Diary).