Davis & White #15: The Polka Connection

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

DJ's been all over the place for the past couple weeks. Maybe she needs to be promoted to Mascot status :lol:

2. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

DJ needs to be there for the WTT and team competition at Sochi. Someone start knitting a wee American flag sweater.

3. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Meryl and DJ made quite the adorable pair in that latest Classroom Champs video!

4. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I can still hear her adorable, "DEEJ!"

If I could give Meryl every dog, I probably would.

5. mollymgr

Yes, I think it broke the cute meter as usual.

6. mollymgr

7. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I had really hoped to meet Meryl and Charlie when I was in Omaha for Nationals. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to but I did get to meet Tanith and DJ. He really is adorable.

8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: Every dog??

I did enjoy her pictures from the dog show she went to several weeks back. So cute!

9. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

I respect everyone's beliefs here and I understand that some of you might be fans of both teams, however can we please talk about Meryl and Charlie. Enough of the crying for v/m. Were they (v/m fans) this sympathetic for Charlie at the last 4CC??? Hmm didn't think so. And what's the big deal about "tessa faking it"? If someone really did say it, then so what. There are ignorant people everywhere. Get over it.

V/M lost. Meryl and Charlie won. End of story.

sorry for sounding harsh but i am a little annoyed by this

10. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Who, in this thread, said that Tessa was faking it? :confused:

11. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

They did change the rule about interruptions several years ago, after the infamous pairs incident where the lady fell on a throw and her partner was overheard telling her to "stay down" so they could get the do-over. Under the current rule, skaters are not allowed to repeat an element; the scoring resumes from the point they stopped skating. (I think the actual wording is that the skaters "resume from the point of the interruption" so they cannot go back and repeat whatever they fell on anymore. Here, I think V/M were allowed to do the lift because they never really attempted it in the first place. (We just know it was meant to be there from seeing the program before.)

Actually, muscle cramps in athletes work much like anyone else's. I think in Tessa's case, her compartment syndrome may cause a different sort of cramps, but for most folks, once a muscle starts cramping, it does not recover just by a couple minutes rest. (Anyone here recall Hunter Pence hobbling around the bases in the World Series last fall?) Ignoring muscle cramps is very risky, as those already tightened muscles are very prone to tearing when you try to stretch them out or make them work.

12. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I wasn't meaning recovering from the cramp, I meant in regards to artistry. Skaters often don't do full run-throughs which means they have to be in character, then they pause, get back into character. Jessie was referring to the interruption harming the artistry which I think wouldn't be that much of an issue since skaters seem to be used to "interrupt" their program while training.

(That Tessa wasn't visibly stretching her leg was actually what caught my attention and made me think that, hopefully, for her sake, it's really "just" a cramp and nothing more. ... And apologies to anyone for the on-going off-topic)

13. sequins

sequins Active Member

I'm a V/M fan and I was sympathetic to Charlie's issue last year at 4CC. I appreciate any D/W fans (or otherwise) concern for Tessa. We are all human beings after all. We are not all heartless. Just sayin'

14. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

sry2say but having asthma is practically nothing compared to having chronic exertional compartment syndrome
    (btw this is coming from someone who suffers from asthma too.)

15. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

:lol: Well, there goes that subject change.

Anyway, the gala is on right now! Can't wait to see their Fade into You ex again.

16. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Someone, at the very least, referenced a discussion in which the theory that V&M stopped because they were afraid to lose to D&W was put forth upthread ("breather incident")...I'll give that person the benefit of the doubt and hope that they were not implying that, but that is how the topic came up. In any case, those people and those people alone are responsible for their actions. All fans of a team should not have to share the blame for their insensitive and ignorant comments.

and as I recall, you were not alone in that. I think a lot fans concerned about the health of other/rival skaters. I agree, it is nice to see such support.

rainbowkisses, I realize this is a public forum and you can say what you want, but do you really have to go there?

can't wait top see it! They are in the second half of the show. Here is a link to the Brit Eurosport stream (thanks, Fort!)

http://88.80.15.211/b00ha/20130207/vv5113d0271321d491317404-521679.html

I can't wait to hear their thoughts on this EX!

17. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

didn't want it to end...just gorgeous. and the Brit Eurosport commentator, Chris, loved it and said that you just can't take your eyes off them! also, super-cute moment: in the finale Meryl took the hands of the flower girl she was paired with and started dancing with her. soooo sweet!

18. Fort

Fort New Member

I hadn't seen this exhibition of theirs yet -- loved it. :)

19. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I think the choreography in this new ex is just exquisite. It's very touching and Meryl's dress is just :smokin:

I was thinking that I'd like to see a reverse lift next season, a la Samson and Delilah. My stream (well, computer) got a bit skippy so I don't know if they changed it, but at Nats they slipped that lift into the exhibition. I liked seeing it again!

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. mollymgr

Is there a video?

21. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

22. mollymgr

23. DORISPULASKI

24. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links Doris. What a great start to my day!!

25. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

26. DORISPULASKI

Did he say anything meaningful? (It's behind a digital subscription wall)

27. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I got to read it and typical Phil trying to stir the pot again.
    After an analysis of the men's and ladies comp as viewed from a U.S. perspective he went on to dance and finished with this

So my answer to your question would be "No, he didn't"

28. CassAgain

CassAgain Well-Known Member

Not really. M and C are brilliant but will probably be denied the win if Chan loses the day before. Silly speculation, but hey, go Chan just in case.

29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

When did Phil's articles become subscriber only. Didn't love his point of view- but he's the only person who writes about skating, so it was nice to read!

30. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Why does Phil write about skating if he disrespects the sport so much? It's people like him that perpetuate the idea that all results are fixed, which is disrespectful not only to the judges, but to the competitors. Meryl and Charlie wouldn't work so hard, or think about sport and competition the way they do if they truly believed this sport is nothing but politics. It's sad that young people who may be inspired to learn more about ice dancing from D/W's Classroom Champions videos might encounter "sports journalism" of this quality. Maybe its for the best that his articles are subscriber only!