Davis & White #15: The Polka Connection

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

2. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

I was very happy with the National's coverage this year. Icenetwork really stepped it up this year. They had a better crew running it than NBC. They even have the practice videos up. I really hope Buckley comes back for more events. All his interviews were quite entertaining :)

3. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

4. rustyskater

rustyskater Member

I like Charlie's SD practice top . . . a lot. It is more true to a ballet dancer's costume and therefore evokes "ballet" more so than the pheasant boy look he sports during the competition. I don't think it will affect their scores either way but I hope to see it in competition!

5. mollymgr

6. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I love that practice shirt. Unashamedly. I think it's gorgeous. I don't even care. :lol:

7. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Oh, and when are they going to do an exhibition to Hair.

I'm just saying.

8. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

reminds me of anissina/peizerat ;)

meryl looks much better with dark hair than being natural blonde. i think her natural haircolor would've washed her out. reminds me of jennifer lawrence (hunger games star)--she looks much better with dark hair than her natural blond hair, at least to me anyway.

i do have to say that meryl may have to tone down the darkness of her hair as she ages as that intensity can age her immensely. maybe a softer reddish brown or honey blonde.

9. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

A red/auburn look would be beautiful on her. Her hair sometimes looked really quite red during the tango FD season.

gty.im/108543269

gty.im/108590245

gty.im/106877883

10. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I doubt she's a natural blonde anymore. At least not a bright blonde. She's dyed her for so long she may not have realized it. Though I guess stranger things have happened. I actually think blonde ages people more than dark brown. Obviously an ebony or black is a hard contrast if you a fair caucasion, but she's never gone that far.

With Charlie it's hard to tell. His hair was a lot shorter and if you have dirty blonde hair it can look almost brown when short and because it's being cut so often the hair doesn't have to time for natural sun highlights. I wouldn't be surprised if her got highlights done though.

I actually would love to see their practice costumes during competition...especially Meryl's!

Two blondes can definitely be striking...especially if they're northern European, but I don't think Meryl and Charlie would be. It would wash them out. Also their complexions are really different. Charlie has really warm undertones and Meryl's more of a cool olive. The difference in hair hides that I think. Tessa and Scott look awesome with matching hair, because their skin color matches...they're actually very matchy. Like one adorable set, but I did like like her with red hair. It looked very Nicole Kidman-esque to me in their OD tango.

11. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

12. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

The comments on their Facebook announcement of the Kellogg's deal are too much. One person takes them to task for the ingredients in the Nutri Grain bars, and another tells Charlie he needs to work on his twizzles.

13. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Exactly what do Meryl & Charlie get out of this, other than the honor?

Money or just free cereal?

(It's nice to see them recognized though!)

14. mollymgr

I found the comments quite funny :rofl:

Hopefully, all of the above. Plus, they get to promote a company based in Michigan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellogg_Company

15. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

:)

16. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

ahaha Tanith. I love it.

17. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

19. rustyskater

rustyskater Member

Very close as expected. It will come down to the free dance. Was there are misstep by Charlie toward the end of the circular step seq?
    SS TR PE CC IT Ded
    1 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN 75.12 37.50 37.62 9.29 9.14 9.50 9.50 9.54 0.00 #7
    2 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE USA 74.68 36.86 37.82 9.32 9.43 9.39 9.61 9.50 0.00 #12
    3 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA 65.44 33.79 31.65 7.82 7.46 7.96 8.07 8.14 0.00 #11
    4 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTA USA 63.26 32.07 31.19 7.82 7.54 7.86 7.86 7.86 0.00 #10

20. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I missed that part but I heard from multiple people that there was. I'll have to rewatch it.

Tomorrow should be intense! I just hope we're not going to see a repeat of last season.

21. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

22. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Do I dare say that this looks like pretty fair judging? :eek: Basically dead even on PCS, with a slight edge to Meryl and Charlie, and the points lost on a lower step sequence due to a wobble. I can't complain and I like it. :lol:

Well, I can complain about the wobble. Charlie White!

23. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

They lost about 2 points on that step sequence total compared to V/M, a pity since it looked so lovely. It looks like the slight wobble happened near the end of the one-foot part, the most important part of the element. But I don't know if that's actually responsible for the Level 3 or not. Hmm, the ~.5 difference in GOE is unfortunate.

But I loved their skating and performance, seemed less rushed than Nationals IMO. Best so far for me.

I can't believe we have to wait 2 days for the FD!

24. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Last year they had a miniscule lead after the SD but were down a fraction in PCS. This year it's the exact reverse.

25. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Better a bobble her than Worlds. Hopefully, they'll be perfect there.

26. DORISPULASKI

I hate that 4CCs is so close to US Nationals.

27. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I wish D/W didn't feel they had to go. I'd rather they skip 4CCs and rest for Worlds.

28. Piper

Piper Member

Me, too. Don't understand why they had to go, at least I'm prety sure they'll skip it next year. These two just can't stop competing, they're like addicted)))

SD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdAi7PITjQE

I'd say judges were kind to them - and polka is really good.

29. DORISPULASKI

It's the first time this year that they got level 4 on both at an international competition & where no other team got both level 4's, so it's one good thing to take away.

30. mia joy

mia joy New Member

May I say I just LOVE the fact they edged V/M on PCS? Even with some technical mistakes, this SD is SO deserving of having the highest PCS possible.

Frankly, I don't care about 4CC all that much. I value the GPF much more, so I will be ok with either first or second (if deserved!). I'm just afraid of history repeating itself...