Davis & White #15: The Polka Connection

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I love it! :lol: The ladies look so tiny next to the Obamas. Emily always looked about 5'10" on ice next to Evan. Sometimes I forget how short so many of the athletes are. I think I wasted my shortness by not pursuing ice skating or gymnastics.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The men are on a riser too- so some of them are not so tall either.
    I definetly wasted my shortness... if I knew how to jump, Rockne would be calling me, without a doubt.

3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I didn't realize the guys were on a riser--but I never realized just how petite the girls are; I always thought of Tanith as statuesque but certainly not compared to Michelle Obama. How wonderful to be in the White House with the Obamas.

4. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

tanith would've probably looked a lot more statuesque, even next to michelle, if she were wearing heels and a dress ;)

5. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Meryl comes out of that looking like the tallest lady. Applause to her!

6. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

7. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

It really does feel like a crime, not having her around.

8. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Saturday is finally here!!!Â…excited about the Smucker's Gala on TV today. :cheer:

shsocu and (deleted member) like this.
  9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I love the new exhibition!! I cant wait for the entire show to be posted on IN. For those who attended, did the champions do encores?

10. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

That was beautiful, like a country-folk waltz. I think I even saw a step from the Midnight Blues CD, but maybe it's accidental. My favorite part is the first minute or so, which TABFan so kindly taped for us. :) Did something go wrong with the "spin" (it was after the DF straight line lift) - it looked like they missed grabbing hands and couldn't get in rotations, but maybe that's how it's supposed to be?

I hope this shows up on youtube sometime soon. It shows off their improved chemistry (and step sequences!) so well.

11. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

No, there weren't any encores. Competitions in the US never seem to do them! They just did the usual group bows at the end and throwing of goodies into the audience. :) Did they show the dancing at the beginning? My local channel cut off the first hour for cartoons. :mad:

12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

What time did it come on? I thought it was listed for 4 - 6pm on NBC today. The time scheduling must have been changed. Golf is on NBC in my area now. :(

When is the Exhibition supposed to be posted on IN?

13. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

Yes they showed the champs at the beginning dancing :)

14. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

It looks like she is wearing heels with her pants.

15. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

true, but she's also wearing that bulky jacket

16. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

I just realized that they are interviewing each other in this issue.:hat1: Hoping for some not-so-mainstream Q's.

17. shan

shan Well-Known Member

18. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Finally got to see the new exhibition today. I adore it! It really displays how far they've come even within this past season. Pretty astounding, really.

And my ears were so happy to be free from Adele. It seems so long ago that I loved Someone Like You :lol:

19. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Love Meryl and Charlie's Dougie award! Yes, they've been our skate goddess and god for quite some time now! :cheer2:

20. comickiwi

comickiwi New Member

I'm on pins and needles waiting to see the new exhibition...can't find it anywhere....dying here...aaarrrhh...

21. sleepypanda

sleepypanda Member

22. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

OMG YES! Thank You.

23. comickiwi

comickiwi New Member

Thanks for the links, everyone! I'm so grateful to all the kind souls out there...

Yay for Meryl and Charlie!

24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Meryl and Charlie's Social Scene interview has been posted on IN in the video archive section . It was too short! I love the interaction with Michael Buckley. :D

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. aftershocks

^^ Thanks! I hadn't seen that video yet with Michael Buckley. :lol: So that's where Meryl revealed that she's a natural blonde. I can't imagine her with blonde hair. I thought her hair was naturally auburn. Certainly, the darker color enhances her eyes and her expressive face, not to mention that two blondes dancing on ice would not be as striking. The color of Meryl's hair perfectly complements Charlie's blonde magical wizard hair! :D

Re the camera coverage on IN during M&C's SD, I was surprised that there was a closeup rather than a full-body shot at the most important climactic moment in their tour de force Giselle program. We need to see what Meryl's and Charlie's feet are doing when they dance in place on their toe blades. It spoils enjoyment of that great SD when the camera makes itself obvious in a not good way.

Fortunately, when I first saw the Giselle SD at Skate America, the camera coverage was excellent and also Tanith was doing the commentary which made it even more enjoyable and enlightening to watch. Of course, Tanith did the IN commentary too, which was good. Also, when NBC replayed the Nationals SD, they got the camera angle right too at the right moment. :) Hope the coverage is right for 4CCs and Worlds.

26. Piper

Piper Member

There is a lot of old pictures and video))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAjpZeAEqIY

27. missysays

missysays Active Member

Oddly enough looking back at old photos or videos pre-2006 (http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcxc5qpbbA1r5ashao1_500.jpg), it looks like Charlie and Meryl had close to the same hair color- a dark blonde. Based on those photos, it looks like Meryl's not the only one on the team who dies her hair. I think Charlie must get blonde highlights because his hair color when he was younger was never as blonde as it is now.

I think they hit on the right color combination though- they both stand out so much more with the contrasting hair colors.:cool:

28. aftershocks

^^ Yes thanks! You're right, it looks like they both had dark blonde hair. As they matured, the right color contrast developed nicely. After all, they've got magical wizard hair. ;) The young clip of them is great to see, but the picture quality isn't great. Despite the poor quality picture, they do look sooo cute together in that vid while they're waiting at the boards with their coach (who seems very sweet and supportive as he helps them to relax before their name is called).

There's also a wonderful tribute montage which shows M&C from a young age right up to 2011 World Championships victory. Maybe it was created by someone here. It's great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf4qtnrPWpQ

Meryl and Charlie are very special people, and we're lucky to witness their journey in the sport. :saint:

29. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I did always wonder whether or not Charlie highlights his hair, as he seemed to have become dishwater blond as he got older and then BAM 2006 rolls around and he is blonde and Meryl is dark. It's a great contrast and it clearly worked for their overall packaging, if you want to call it that. :lol: Davis & White hair is legend~

I once remember reading somewhere that Igor allegedly likes contrasting teams, which reminds me of when Tessa was a redhead.

The hair stories of ice dancing.

30. comickiwi

comickiwi New Member

What can I say....love the hair...and everything else that goes with it :lol: