Davis/White #12 - The journey continues in the Year of the Bat

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Jan 30, 2012.

1. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Been a long time since I started one of these threads. :)

I heard Marina Klimova was in the stands watching the competition. I wonder if she had a chance to talk to D/W or Igor. I'd love to know her take on them.

Also, some of the questions in that backstage interview could not be phrased any more awkwardly: "Your chemistry on ice...how far does it go?" :yikes: Handled very well and I do love that Meryl still has bindis lying around to give to Johnny Weir.

2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yeah that question was :yikes: I wish we didn't have to wait a week to see the exhibitions. Meryl and Charlie will get their Reader's Choice Award! :respec: I'm sure IN is not streaming, and there's probably not a stream to found online. We'll just have to wait.

Great thread title!! Thanks for starting the thread. I would have, but I couldn't think of anything for a title.

3. literaryfreak

Yeah, I'm going to search around for a stream but I think I've never found one for US Nationals exhibitions in the past. And then last year, I was there. :D

It's mollymgr's title, so I used hers since I'm crap at thinking of titles.

4. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the new thread, literaryfreak! I like the title, mollymgr.

So happy once again for Meryl and Charlie and they are on track to peak at Worlds. I'm excited for our World team this year, thrilled that Jeremy won, very happy for Ashley, too. As for the pairs let me just say congrats to MaryBeth and Rockne for making the world team. They have such incredible talent as a pair already and I will be hoping that the next two years for them will be successful. So hoping to see them in Sochi (as our national champs!). It's nice to have another team to uber!

5. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Thanks literaryfreak for starting the thread :)

I'm hoping they will upload the ice desk interview later since I missed it. I've noticed that most Q&A sessions with Peter C. usually tend go awkward at some point, but it is fun to watch nonetheless.
    I loved the new ending for the SD but it had me nervous. I'm not sure if I felt that way because there are so many complex moves to the final pose or because I was watching it for the first time.

6. mia joy

mia joy New Member

We have a new thread, yay! :)

Ok, I never got to comment on the changes they've done to their SD in the previous thread. First of all, I really miss the first orange dress. It was the best of all. Its shape was perfect for Meryl and the colour made the dance look more fun and cheerful. Also, I have the impression everyone is wearing gold or black this season. What happened to all the colorful dresses girls wore in the 2005/06 season (last time when the OD was latin)?

As for the ending, I'm glad the weird pose is gone, but I really loved the thing Meryl was doing right before it, so I kinda hoped they would keep it. Other than that, the new end pose is so much better than the previous ones.

And their FD was a stunner. I kinda regret it's not their Olympic FD, cause this dance could beat anything Tessa and Scott ever come up with. ANYTHING.

skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  7. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

It made me nervous too. I am so familiar with their SD (from many, many viewings on youtube) that when the music didn't continue I thought there was a malfunction! But now that I know what is happening I like the move just not thrilled with the music edits they made to do it.

All in all, I loved their performances at Nationals. The World title has given them a confidence that just shines thru every skate.

8. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Thanks for the new thread!

I love the new SD ending but don't like the music edits for it.

I love that the ending was kept to be a complete surprise too!

9. ~tapdancer~

I agree that the SD ending is better but also agree that the music cut is a little strange. Maybe they can tinker with it some more for 4CC and Worlds.

10. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

I thought so too but I do prefer the new ending pose. and as I said in the previous thread, I am in love with this dress and think it looks amazing on her. I also really like her makeup.

The twizzles in the FD made me really nervous. Let's hope Charlie got that out of his system. but this dance continues to grow and that was my favourite performance of it so far, even with the struggle on the twizzle.

I am hoping that someone who attended will upload their exhibition. They made us wait a week for the Canadians gala too, and I kept hoping a tech-savvy V&M fan would post something. This is something I really liked about CBC Bold coverage--you could find it online the same weekend even though the main network would not broadcast it until the following weekend. I'll keep checking and post a link if I find anything.

11. Bournekraatzfan

I know these teams have some creative input, but doesn't Marina come up with the programs? I expect both teams to have more :kickass: programs in their future. When you are that talented, the sky's the limit :)

12. mia joy

mia joy New Member

yes, but still a lot depends on the teams, their ideas and personality. Anyways, what I wanted to say was more that I believe this FD could be a worthy winner even over Tessa and Scott skating something at their best, like Mahler.

13. Bournekraatzfan

yes, that's true, it does depend on the teams and their own ideas. but Tessa and Scott had input in Funny Face and I think that is a masterpiece. I hope that both teams continue on to Sochi as I am confident they will continue to push each other and give us more programs to love :)

14. Bournekraatzfan

me too!

15. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I've loved plenty of Tessa and Scott's programs (their Valse Triste is still my favorite program to that music) but I couldn't agree with you less on Funny Face. I think that program was sort of a mistake, actually.

16. rustyskater

rustyskater Active Member

The bat is so good, I wonder what they can do to best it? I agree it could be justifiably resurrected at the Olympic games. People would love it. At the same time, I think they (and their coaches) would challenge themselves to equal (if not top) it. Here's to sport! Here's to Charlie and Meryl for bring excellence and perfection to skating, Michelle-Kwan style and then some!

carolina and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Theatregirl1122

There's no way Meryl and Charlie would bring back a program for the Olympics. You just can't do that in Ice Dance. It would be a terrible idea.

Okay, now someone is going to have to explain the thread title to me.

18. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

19. Bournekraatzfan

20. literaryfreak

I think Die Fledermaus is the perfect FD for the current landscape in ice dance, so I am glad they used it now and didn't save it for the Olympics. While Marina does call it a masterpiece, I do think D/W's best work is still to come. I am curious if they need to do another "dancey" FD next year. I don't think I've seen anyone truly penalized for being more theatrical than dance-based (for example, I would say P/B's Egyptian FD is more on the theatrical side), but we will find out come Worlds.

I heard that Meryl wore the black dress (my favorite of the two) for their Adele exhibition ;) , so perhaps that little sliver of info will tide us over until video appears. I haven't seen any pictures of the exhibition either, which I find odd.

21. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I surely hope they can and will pull off something even better for the Olympic season, nonetheless I think Die Fledermaus could be a worthy Olympic gold winner, that's all I'm saying.

Of course I still hope they will give us another storytelling masterpiece in the style of ER and S&D eventually. I'm getting tired of the dancey programs already. Theatrical and dramatic is good, if not overload. I agree noone seems to be penalized for it, P/B is one example, I/K is another and both teams did just great in FD at the Europeans.

22. literaryfreak

Oh, I didn't mean to be disagreeing with your post, I was just musing out loud to no one. :) Yes, I too want programs like ER and S&D - they feel more emotionally satisfying to me than the pure dance programs Shpilband/Zoueva have put out so far, but that's just my personal preferences in ice dance. I think that if D/W continue to have kick-butt programs, it hopefully won't matter where it sits on the dance-to-theatrical scale as long as it's good.

23. ~tapdancer~

Okay I've watched the SD now several (many) times and I think it was just that the ending was a surprise and I was expecting the music to end as it always has, but I like the ending more now and the music cuts work better than I thought at first. I think they have a winner now and it's a much more pow ending.

Watching the SD competition as a whole, I get a little emotional seeing the depth of US ice dance. So much in the past there just wasn't much depth and we were lucky to have two teams that could really compete internationally. To see teams like H/D and K/G-S and the Shibs, it's amazing how very good they are and yet we still have an even more amazing team in D/W. It makes for a fantastic competition to see several terrific performances.

I know there are some on FSU who moan over the state of ice dance but as for me, I couldn't love it more and I couldn't be more thrilled over what CoP has done for it. It's what I love most about skating.

24. Theatregirl1122

Thanks. I read the post suggesting the title in. The other thread when it happened but its not really an explanation.

25. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I loved ER!! And S&D. I would say we're due for one of those types of programs.

26. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

What's even more amazing about US Ice Dancing depth is that 3 of the top 6 teams from last year broke up and yet ice dancing is just as strong if not stronger then last year.

27. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

28. Bournekraatzfan

My two favourite D&W FDs! I love how they tell a story.

29. Bournekraatzfan

I was so impressed watching the US nationals dance event this year! I really love C&B and would love to have seen them clinch that spot to Worlds, but there were so many great teams who delivered solid performances. I do wish Tanith had taken more credit for this--I never felt she and Ben got the respect they deserved, and she was so humble when speaking with Andrea about the current state of US ice dance. I can only imagine how much she and Ben inspired younger dance teams, not only in the US but all over the world.

30. Bournekraatzfan

thanks! I'm with you, this is my favourite dress for this program. still can't find a vid:(