Davis/White #11 - Can't wait to see them "on the floor", er...ice!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ~tapdancer~, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Wow! That's an unexpected change, I wonder what was the cause for that. La Strada was starting to grow on me, but I LOVE Strauss. I'm wondering if any other top ice dance team used this in an FD and I just haven't seen it yet, cause none are coming to mind.

But I'm ok with this :) I've been dying for them to skate to classical music for ages, and while my choice was Beethoven, I'm still thrilled with Strauss. Listening to the score now, I may have to check out the sheet music haha.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think Klimova-Ponomarenko did Strauss FD.
    I like how USA FS federation work - maybe they change FD after tests. I think other federation must look at how this work at USA.
  3. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I think they will do much, much better with this music than La Strada. This sounds so much more their style. Besides, Marina choreographed one of my favorite G&G programs to this music, so I'm excited to see what she will do with D/W.
  4. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

Wow, I hope they didn't decide that last week. Maybe La Strada wasn't uplifting enough and they were advised to change. I loved their Nutcracker program and a Golden Waltz they had in 2010(?) so I am sure they will do a great job. :cheer2: Nine more days until I'll see them. Yay :cheer2:
  5. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I'm wondered if it was the fact that someone in the know said La Strada might be worth a music deduction...
  6. pani

pani Well-Known Member

No dance rythm?
  7. jobelle

jobelle Member

I've always enjoyed Meryl and Charlie's watlzes -- they lilt nicely :) I'm looking forward to what they can bring to this music. I wonder how much of the operetta's story they will keep and whether they will stick to the music from the overture or use other parts from the score? I think that their speed will work well with the music.
  8. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

They were a little kids, when they skate it in OD/ What a problem?
  10. inthemiddle

Lynn twitted the reason for change:
  11. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that they started work on the new FD immediately after Champs Camp and kept it quiet until announcing it the week before SA. I think they'll do fine as this is not the first time they have scrapped a program based on judge feedback in the same forum previously.
  12. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Oooh, Charlie and Meryl, you're killing me.

For a second when I read about the music change I hoped it would be something that'd make me excited this time. Not a chance...

Not that I have anything against their waltzes or classical music in general... I just don't like this choice for them. Unless they do something way better and more unexpected than I can imagine, this FD is gonna be boring.

I just don't get it. Why choosing an OD(SD)-typical piece of music for FD? Why not doing something more modern? or dark and mysterious? or in any way more original? or STORYTELLING? or soft and romantic for a change. I just don't get how it's possible they thrill me so much with their ex (breathtaking!) and fail to do so with their FD. I mean, I know I haven't seen it yet, but I already know what I can expect.

I hate this new direction of ice dance. These "dancey" programs. Ice dance is becoming such a snoozefest, it's difficult to bare, considering it's my favourite part of FS.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  13. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Wait, really? :confused: Why does it have to be a literal interpretation? When Summersett/Gilles skated to it, their version wasn't a literal interpretation either. And it was probably my favorite program of the season, or at least top 3.

I do really like the music so I hope they are able to take the music in a fresh direction. But I remember that they changed music based on judges' feedback last season (for the SD) and I spent the whole season hating that SD and wishing that the judges hadn't told them to scrap the Amelie one (I really liked the idea of the story they were going to tell with it).
  14. jlmart

jlmart Member

Fledermaus is a 2 hour operetta. Yes there are waltzes, but there are also polkas, marches and other music. Some of it is lighthearted and some is romantic. I think the success of the programme will depend on what music they select.
  15. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

This year dont they have some kind of rule that any program with a story has to be clearly understandable to the audience - something like that? Maybe they were afraid of getting a deduction there if they were using the music to tell a different story/feeling from the movie?

To me that and the uplifting rule are just stupid - but skaters have to take them seriously or risk deductions.

ETA - Are their any links to the Amelie SD? Ive never seen it - have they used it as an exhibition?
  16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm trying to keep an open mind and wait to see it before I judge, but I'm a little sad that they have chosen this style. I was hoping for a darker FD (kind of like the mood of ER). Oh well, only a week or so until we find out exactly what it looks like! :cheer2: Here's hoping for a stellar competition at SkAm!!!
  17. DORISPULASKI

Exactly. Die Fledermaus is an operetta, and some of the scenes are comic--I'm hoping that some of the FD will go that way...something like the Rhythm of Love EX.

BTW, they've never done an operetta as seniors, so it isn't same old same old, especially if they take a serio comic route.

Synopsis
    http://www.naxos.com/education/oper...=die_fledermaus&libretto_file=00_synopsis.htm

What could be more 'today' then someone in trouble with his country's IRS?

Will Charlie have a bat costume? :lol:
  18. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

It seems like almost everyone who was supposed to do Amelie for the SD scrapped it. I thought that it was decided that Amelie didn't actually fit the Golden very well. But I loved last year's SD, so I guess I can't comment.

I assume the reason they were advised to switch because of the non-literal interpretation was the "easily understandable" BS. I have no strong opinions on how Meryl and Charlie will do/would have done with either music. As many have said, it's hard to even guess what the programs will be like when we don't know which actual selections they will be using. I prefer to reserve judgement on the program until I've seen it.
  19. DORISPULASKI

20. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I'm with you, TG. Wait and see! I love the Strauss music but I would have enjoyed seeing their interpretation of "La Strada", too. I love how they waltz and polka so perhaps that's what they will use. No way to know until SA so I'll just keep looking forward to seeing both their programs.
  21. SueSue

SueSue Active Member

ITA. I was so hoping they would do something innovative...definitely not classical. So many programs by all disciplines to overused classical music will never help in gaining new fans. Why when there are exciting and/or beautiful contemporary pieces of music out there? :confused:
  22. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

Because they want to be safe and win the medals??
    Totally lame, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. At least, that might be one of the reasons in the great scheme of things.
    Although, you're right. It doesn't completely excuse them.
  23. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I can see Meryl and Charlie in Fledermaus, perhaps more so than in La Strada. Of course so much depends on which music they choose and which characters they choose to play ( if any). I personally would love to see Meryl as Adele the Maid who wants to be an actress, and more of a flirty/ naughty/funny interpretation, but I have my doubts, the storyline could go several ways, or be altogether absent. Very short waiting time, though, till we see it!
  24. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'm going to go way out there on a limb and make a TOTALLY crazy suggestion. Maybe they actually like the music they have chosen.
  25. DORISPULASKI

Apparently, Marina likes the Fledermaus. They wanted La Strada.

However, this is not the first time that USFS "champs camp" has put the kibosh on someone's program.

At least it's a classical piece that hasn't been hugely used in ice dance.
  26. mia joy

mia joy New Member

It's not like I was thrilled with the La Strada idea either. Neither choice is really exciting or innovative or interesting and they don't even suit the Meryl and Charlie I fell in love with. And I love their Adele ex, so I know those Meryl and Charlie still exist, only not in their FD choices. Not since the Olympic season.

They found a fan in me between Eleanor and S&D and I wish they would go back to that style - with their improved skills they could be creating masterpieces of this kind now.

I don't know how many more seasons of disappointing FD choices my fan heart can take. I seriously think the best move for them would be to leave Igor and Marina, but it's not like it's ever gonna happen...
  27. DORISPULASKI

One can't ignore the influence of the USFS and their "Champs camp" monitoring for their effects on Meryl & Charlie, given that the last 2 years they have had to scrap both an OD and FD due to their influence. If they came forward with something that could be described as innovative, I think USFS would squash it. Thank goodness they were allowed to have Bollywood.
  28. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I didn't really care for the La Strada choice so I am glad they are changing their FD music. We all know that the dance we see next week will not be the same as the dance we see by Worlds anyway!!

I am hopeful that their dance will be different than the other Canton teams. I found all 3 of the dances at Finlandia to be a bit vanilla.

I know it will never happen but I wish they would skate to Samson and Delilah again. With their improved skating skills it would be amazing.
  29. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

These are also my favourite programs of theirs! But I think they have shown good range, and I am excited to see their new programs. How wonderful is it that they are going into this season as defending world champions?!
  30. missysays

missysays New Member

I respectfully disagree with the idea that USFS is squashing innovative programs. I don't think that we can decisively say that the La Strada FD or last year's Amelie SD were innovative because we never saw these programs. Speaking from purely a critique of the music or concept, I can see how Amelie would be a slightly monotonous, downbeat sort of music that worked in the movie because it had beautiful, colorful images to work with and almost against the momentum of the music. The SDs that were made that year to Amelie by other teams were as another poster mentioned all eventually changed for that very reason. I think USFS just did an early pre-emptive strike that ended up serving Meryl and Charlie well by having them make a new, better program with enough time to build it throughout the season.

I think the Bollywood OD was supported for the very reason that conceptually it was innovative and a very cohesive and interesting program. The USFS and their coaches recognized and supported that- so that's why it passed not because somehow it managed to eke through under someone's radar.

After I heard the choice of La Strada this past summer, I was concerned that Meryl and Charlie were selecting another musical concept that was something that many others had tried already and already executed with much success. For them to retain their title, they really need a FD (even in this non-Olympic season off-year) that will help them explore new areas. I don't know yet if Die Fledermaus will do that for them. But I was listening to the D/W teleconference and it really struck me when Meryl said that not just the USFS but Igor and Marina thought that they could do better than the La Strada FD and that everyone was really excited about the new FD.

I still wish that they could have done something conceptually a bit out of the box. One example I've seen on TV was this Emmy award winning dance from SYTYCD which has a group dancing to an orchestral version of Sting's Every Little Thing She Does is Magic and creating a modern conceptual Alice in Wonderland dance. That was an out of the box concept that built upon a known piece of music. And the dance itself was light hearted, soaring yet with a classical orientation while being a little modern and quirky all at once. I'd love to see Meryl and Charlie try something like that.

But I'm hoping even with a tried and true choice of music that this new FD concept will be successful for them and bring out a story that we'll enjoy. What I'm really excited to see is their SD- I've never seen them do Latin since I don't think video footage of their Latin OD that they did as juniors ever surfaced so that's something "new" to look forward to.
  31. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Yesterday's press conference is on IceNetwork now.
  32. pani

pani Well-Known Member

USFS made a great job. They didnt let C-Z last year skate bad latin dance, didnt let to skate 1000 time "Dark eyes"to L-C and didnt let D-W skate something not good last season and now. Maybe they satrt working so good after B-A results in the past. When other Federation let there skaters skate something really bad, when coaches did bad job, USFS didnt let to do this with there best skaters. I respect this so much.
  33. DORISPULASKI

OK, I love the La Strada music, but I have to concede that I have no idea whether the program they had to it was any good or not.

Apparently Marina has had a Die Fledermaus program in mind for them for many years, and they haven't wanted to do it. At least the choreo should have come together quickly since she had it in mind for a long time.

They seem happy enough with it now, though, from the teleconference.

Meryl said it will be playful, which is something they haven't done much in FD's. I would have said both Charleston and Bollywood were rather playful, and I like both dances, so I have some hopes that it will be a dance I'll like. :)
  34. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I was actually looking forward to seeing La Strada but I have to admit I Immediately thought of R and K from Finland who were so great in the program.

But I will say that a classical program is new and a departure for D/W who tend to do more passion fueled music and programs. And as from the one Ex program I have seen their line/extension seems stronger and I think a program like this has a better chance of showing that off.

But I have to admit I am disappointed in the ISU uplifting and clear story line rules. I am much more disappointed though in the uplifting rule as I find it severely limiting. I know a lot of people have talked about I and K's program from Russia being one of the instigators of this rule. But I really liked the program although I thought the end was a bit indulgent.
    I just think of how many programs we have seen on "So you think you can dance" that were dark or sad but so good.

I do like the "clear story" idea though and do like that the ISU is at least attempting to bring the sport back to dance. But they have to very careful I think not to be too limiting so that we get a bunch of the same type of programs.

Personally I think they need to drop the uplifting rule. Or rephrase it somehow to open up the variability of programs. There are tons of operas in particular where the main character dies. That is hardly uplifting but does offer incredible choice of music and story.

Anyway I am eager to see D/W and more of V/M. I have no idea who is going to come out on top this season. V/M have work to do and can't rely on CD's to put them ahead. Obviously D/W are at a disadvantage right now with a new program. But I have a feeling that they will be hard to beat this year. It's going to be neck and neck all season with scores etc. I just hope that there isn't controversy over who wins.
  35. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

This is what IN has listed on their bio

2012 Season Notes
    SD Music: "Die Fledermaus" by Johann Strauss
    FD Music: Music from La Strada by Nino Rota

Guess they are not doing a Latin SD this year :p
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  36. inthemiddle

:rofl::rofl:
  37. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Well, if you can't pick out the obvious rumba and samba rhythms in Die Fledermaus, then you're HOPELESS. ;)
  38. DORISPULASKI

Tich tich

Perhaps they were thinking of the waltz, and thinking this is the 2010 2011 season :lol:
  39. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I just listened to their teleconference and I have to say I'm pleased with how positive they sound about their new FD. Charlie said once they made up their minds to change the FD, which was based on the judges' feedback from Champs Camp and Igor and Marina saying they felt they could do "something better" than La Strada, they never looked back and they are pleased with how well the new FD has turned out. So the theme will be a man and woman at a masquerade ball, Meryl described it as playful and there was mention of a mask, which I'm assuming will be a pantomime, not an actual prop. What I hope is that their costumes will be dramatic. They generally have rather downplayed costumes especially on Charlie's part so I wouldn't mind seeing some sparkle! But of course whatever they feel comfortable with will be best.

Loved what they said about their SD, too. "On the Floor" will be their circular step sequence and a lift according to Charlie, and the end of the program which should be perfect. I had to laugh at one of the interviewers calling the first piece of music "Barracuda"! :lol:

The teleconference was about 22 min long and 17 min in Charlie said sorry he needed to go because his mom had called twice and he wanted to make sure all was well! Such a good son there. I don't think there are many of us who can ignore a call from our moms, right? :lol:

Finally, I like what Meryl said about the FD having the difficulty but would be much different from their Tango FD. She said both their programs are very different from last season and they are excited for everyone to see them.
  40. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Well at least they have the good taste to rip off Delobel and Schoenfelder. :EVILLE:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.