Davis/White #11 - Can't wait to see them "on the floor", er...ice!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ~tapdancer~, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

I'm a fan of both teams and generally lurk on both threads, but don't kid yourselves that there isn't an equally strong cult (IMO) of Davis and White. It will certainly emerge in all its glory once they too have had a chance to showcase their programs and there is something more concrete for ubers to gush about ;) [at the expense of V/M of course :rolleyes: ]

clarie and (deleted member) like this.
  2. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Except for the last comment you made, you're right. Once D/W start competing, we will be here cheering them on and discussing their programs and performances. The D/W and V/M threads have kept pace through the years with both teams having a very strong fan following. I've been here all along and while there certainly is a lot of comparisons, there has been very little bashing of V/M because a lot of D/W fans also like V/M and appreciate their excellence as well over the years.

But, for me, it's come down to this. D/W and V/M have pushed each other to the top, both of them World Champions. But there can be only one World Champion in the end, and I want it to be D/W. That doesn't mean I will be hating on V/M (or any of the other ice dance teams) because I've never done that and don't plan to start.

This board is overall a fun place to discuss skaters and skating and of course there will always be ubers and always be haters. Many try to be balanced and support most all the skaters but there is also a lot of criticism and bashing on not only skaters but coaches and choreographers, too. Everyone has their opinions, of course, and some just enjoy the snark.

I really like this quote from Stephano Caruso (from his blog at ice-dance.com from the Finlandia Trophy).

3. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Today is the Canadian "Thanksgiving" holiday, so I am grateful for all the North American Ice-dancing teams that spur us to interest and discussion. As a Canadian, I am primarily a V/M fan, but that doesn't mean to say that I don't appreciate the success our other Canadian and U.S. dance teams........We are rich in that area indeed. It's certainly is terrific after so many year of North American drought in that field that there are so many...and so many young teams to boot. :). I hope you all agree.

4. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

:)
    Well said. I love Meryl and Charlie. V/M and D/W have pushed each other to the very top and I'm really grateful to both teams. I'm Canadian and will lean toward V/M, but that doesn't diminish my respect for D/W. The game is on...may the best team win.

5. ~tapdancer~

Thank you, clarie and DFJ, very nice posts. :)

Here's hoping for a great season for all the teams!

6. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

IMO it's not easy to dance latin on the ice, as when you're skating you can't move your hips like balroom dances do on the floor, so I don't expect skaters to do a lot of latin moves (with their legs) when they're skating.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  7. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Pingu, I think that's a very good comment. It's why most teams resort to putting the Latin flavor into a posing segment at the beginning of the program and then try to carry it off with what they do with arms and shoulders.

8. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Why did you post this in D-W tread?
    Hope you will be happy with M-C SD wich must be with hip-hop moves ;)
    And dont be so angry on V-M only because there tread grow fast after there first competition of the season, SA will come sooner, then you could imaging!
    Good luck to you all!

9. DORISPULASKI

True. That post would be more appropriate in the Finlandia competition thread, or in the Programs thread, rather than in either the D&W or V&M thread.

10. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I wasn't just talking about V-M. I said I was disappointed in all of them.

Sure, there are limitations, but there still could be some of the torso movements up and down on the half beats, or steps more in line with the ballroom timing, rather than stroke-stroke-stroke stroke, looking the same as they always do.

I agree though, this general short dance discussion probably belongs elsewhere. I guess I put it here because my thinking started with wondering if D-W will manage to do any better. Looking at the other Zueva-S choreo, they probably won't.

11. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Didn't Elena Grinenko choreograph most of the Canton SDs?

12. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

My impression was that she was helping the teams get the flavor of Latin dancing, but she wasn't actually choreographing. Sort of like what happened with the D/W's Bollywood OD. The Indian choreographer (can't remember her name at the moment) suggested music and showed accent moves, but it was still choreographed by Zueva/Shpilband.

13. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Love this picture of Meryl & Charlie and Tanith & Ben that Tanith tweeted this afternoon.

14. jenji124

jenji124 Well-Known Member

This. I am American but I lean towards Tessa and Scott, I've been a fan of theirs since Juniors. Meryl and Charlie are great and can do amazing things it's just a matter of what my preference and taste is. Nothing to discredit them. But, it is really great that there are 2 top teams pushing each other because we get the best from each team.

The low blows and mud slinging by fans I've seen in both threads is a shame because we're getting the best out of both teams.

15. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I can count the number of fans slinging mud in both threads on one hand. Why must a few bad apples spoil an entire thread? I say we need to come down hard on people, or posts, that are deliberately trying to stir things up. How? By ignoring them. You don't have to block every post by that user (unless you want to), but I hope the rest of us are grown up enough to know when someone is acting like a child by trying to get a reaction, and can deal with it accordingly.

16. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

There are some more pictures of D/W from Fashion on Ice on the blogspot. Perhaps you guys have all already seen them, but I love this one: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eHwg0RNM0go/Toz0wuq_aTI/AAAAAAAAGe0/c00XKfRjC6g/s1600/fashiononice42.jpg. I love their edges, the lean, their expressions, everything. Meryl's makeup is so fitting here.

I hope that D/W don't scrimp on the difficulty level this year with their FD. Not that I'm expecting them to, but I really liked the sheer complexity of last year's tango. Being able to smoothly execute one of the most difficult programs I think I've ever seen - I think it was a point in their favor at Worlds. I'd love to see the use of difficult and interesting transitions and footwork roll over to this year's programs too, although perhaps not at quite as insane a level as the tango was. :lol:

17. ~tapdancer~

That's a really perfect pic of them! Love it.

I think their FD will have the difficulty. I hope so, anyway. One of the reasons they went with the Tango FD last season was to push themselves in that direction of difficulty and I think it worked brilliantly. I was very impressed with their flow and speed from the FOI vids we were able to see. They've already had great flow and speed but to see even more improvement would be awesome. But I'm like you, literaryfreak, I'd love to see them take a little more time with their movements especially since they've said their FD to "La Strada" will be about the relationship between a man and woman. So I hope they show us some emotion. :)

18. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

Well from the looks of Meryl's boots they must be skating very close together :)

19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Beautiful picture! I love the intensity of their expressions.

20. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

New FD for D/W: http://twitter.com/#!/LynnRutherford

21. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Wow! That's an unexpected change, I wonder what was the cause for that. La Strada was starting to grow on me, but I LOVE Strauss. I'm wondering if any other top ice dance team used this in an FD and I just haven't seen it yet, cause none are coming to mind.

But I'm ok with this :) I've been dying for them to skate to classical music for ages, and while my choice was Beethoven, I'm still thrilled with Strauss. Listening to the score now, I may have to check out the sheet music haha.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think Klimova-Ponomarenko did Strauss FD.
    I like how USA FS federation work - maybe they change FD after tests. I think other federation must look at how this work at USA.

23. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I think they will do much, much better with this music than La Strada. This sounds so much more their style. Besides, Marina choreographed one of my favorite G&G programs to this music, so I'm excited to see what she will do with D/W.

24. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

Wow, I hope they didn't decide that last week. Maybe La Strada wasn't uplifting enough and they were advised to change. I loved their Nutcracker program and a Golden Waltz they had in 2010(?) so I am sure they will do a great job. :cheer2: Nine more days until I'll see them. Yay :cheer2:

25. DORISPULASKI

I'm wondered if it was the fact that someone in the know said La Strada might be worth a music deduction...

26. pani

pani Well-Known Member

No dance rythm?

27. jobelle

jobelle Member

I've always enjoyed Meryl and Charlie's watlzes -- they lilt nicely :) I'm looking forward to what they can bring to this music. I wonder how much of the operetta's story they will keep and whether they will stick to the music from the overture or use other parts from the score? I think that their speed will work well with the music.

28. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

29. pani

pani Well-Known Member

They were a little kids, when they skate it in OD/ What a problem?

30. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

Lynn twitted the reason for change:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.