Davis/White #11 - Can't wait to see them "on the floor", er...ice!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ~tapdancer~, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valpadana

valpadana New Member

Davis and White break their world record in the short dance with a score of 76.89 !!!!
  2. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Technically not, I believe. The records are in international competition only.

This is easily the best they've ever done this program! I hope they skate it like this at worlds because it was AMAZING! And I love the new ending.
  3. fanofskate

fanofskate New Member

Yay!!! New move!! and at the very end. Thank you Meryl and Charlie. I was really hoping to see something new. That was fun. Love the new dress!
  4. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Was not expecting that ending, but loved it!! What a great performance; ITA, the best by far and away I've seen them dance this number.

Also, shout out to Hubbell/Donohue-I was always a Hubbell/Hubbell fan, but she's blossomed with Zach. What a great performance from them as well.
  5. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

nuge, shan, DORISPULASKI and 3 others like this.
  6. valpadana

valpadana New Member

Tank you very much !! Now I can go to sleep happy !! (In Italy it's very late!!) Oh girls, I adore them!!!
    shan and (deleted member) like this.
  7. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Loved it, of course! Great job, their expression was fantastic. Loved the new ending and Meryl's new dress! Thanks, too, for the vid, literaryfreak!
    shan and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

They received three L4s and one L3:

Level Fours for :

- Non-touching Circular Steps (Yessss!!!): Base value 8.00 + 2.43 GOE = 10.43
    - Rhumba pattern (Judges' side): Base value 7.00 + 1.00 GOE = 8.00
    - Synchonized Twizzles: Base value 6.00 + 1.50 GOE = 7.5

Level Three for:

- Rhumba patterns (Opposite side :wall: ): Base value 6.00 + 1.00 GOE = 7.00
  9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:cheer: Great performance. I like all of the little changes in the choreography. I was very nervous for them, as the SD can be unpredictable. I'm so glad I was nervous for nothing!!

Can't wait for the FD!!!

Thanks for uploading the video literaryfreak. It was nice to see again.
  10. lmarie086

Just realized, I'm going to be at work during the FD.

:wuzrobbed
  11. missysays

missysays New Member

They were fantastic today! Really stepped it up. What was so fun to see was that they were in utter control when they needed to be but also there was a casualness and slight throw-away feel to it that made you feel like it was fun and no big deal.

They really owned that program and the arena.:cool:

One fun thing that US Figureskating tweeted was that the music that plays for the upcoming skater during the wait before the last skater's score announcement is something of that skater's own choosing. I liked hearing the songs bc in some cases it really gave you a window into what motivated that skater or skating couple.

For Meryl and Charlie it was "Superstar" by Lupe Fiasco
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1EreTOvelQ

Interesting choice.

Slightly off-topic but my favorite pre-competitive number song selection was for Samuelson and Gilles- it was Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror." Emily was singing the lyrics to herself during their little warm-up you could tell that the lyrics about changing really spoke to her. It was heart-warming to see.

Can't wait until the FD tomorrow.
  12. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

That was a fabulous SD:cheer2: It looked like they were having fun. I loved Meryl's dress and the new ending. In one of the articles, Marina mentioned how they were trying to keep this POTO-recycled-lift under wraps to see how people/judges reacted to it.

The tweetseat responses are on icenetwork nowÂ…this was quite funny:lol:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/video/

I think these press conference reporters need to get a little creative in asking their questions. It seems like they have been asking the same ones over and over and over again.
  13. ~tapdancer~

Me too. :(
  14. literaryfreak

Thanks for the review from the stadium! And that's a really interesting piece of info about warm-up music. I think I've seen Charlie list Lupe Fiasco as one of his favorite artists somewhere, so I'm wondering if that's his choice and if it will be the same in the FD.

LOVED all the changes in the SD:

-They changed the beginning to face each other at one point and I think it works much better, interacting with each other.

-The new ending is so explosive, beats the pants off the old ending. I wonder if this lift was originally meant to be a scored rotational lift or a non-element choreography lift at the end of POTO.

-Charlie mentioned in the telelconference before the event that they were adding more spots where they look at each other, and I saw quite a few glances here that I hadn't noticed before. There's closing out the end of the 2nd rhumba sequence that I thought was particularly effective.

-Love Meryl's look at the beginning. :cool: She has really transformed over the years.

Someone has uploaded a much better version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuQAoG0Cfyw&feature=youtu.be. If you hadn't noticed, my icenetwork feed was off by a few beats, but I wasn't sure if it was a audio mistake or if D/W decided to let the music go for a measure before beginning. It threw off the entire dance for me. I'm glad to see it's just my video and that D/W do start with the music.

ETA: Are you going to the FD, missysays?
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  15. valpadana

valpadana New Member

Wow....!!!Meryl Davis and Charlie White : score of 114.65, a new personal best in the free..!!
  16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Great skate!! I'm so pleased for them.
  17. jobelle

jobelle Member

Loved it! Just checked the protocols ... they got a 10.00 for IN! (lowest score was one 9.75 and since it was tossed out, the rest all avg. out to 10.00).
  18. Theatregirl1122

:swoon: I think all the superlatives have already been used for this program. It is stunning and they just keep getting better and better.
  19. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

WOW, another beautiful program from Meryl and Charlie. Just love to watch them skate. They have been working on connecting more with each other on the ice in both programs and I like the small changes. I really wish it had worked out that I could go to 4 Continents and see them live but am saving my money for Omaha next January.
  20. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Great performance and I LOVE the new dress (though I also loved the old dress on Meryl). They looked like they sunk into the rhythm more and they just flew. I especially love their side-by-side circular. This dance is progressing nicely, and I can't wait to see it at 4CC. I would like to see Charlie use the rhythm even more.

Lupe Fiasco is one of my favourite artists, so I really like this choice. Thanks for sharing--I had no idea they chose this music.
  21. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

:swoon:Just beautiful.
  22. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

Congrats Meryl and Charlie! Just stunning. I love them so much!
  23. Bournekraatzfan

WOW! They laid down two solid skate here. I love watching their programs grow over the season and that was definitely the best (expression-wise) I have seen them skate that FD. I love how Meryl looks so delicate yet is so powerful. And they both use their arms really beautifully in that program. I also noticed more interaction between them. I just loved every moment of that FD.

I also loved the Shibs and Chock and Bates, and was thoroughly impressed with the entire flight. I really wish they could all go to Worlds.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  24. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

We're getting up close to 1000 posts. Any suggestions for the new title?
  25. literaryfreak

Beautiful performance here, even better than the GPF. I can't believe it's already their 4th US title! How perfect that staying in until Sochi could give them the record 6. :biggrinbo

Cute picture with their medals: http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05wFb6raCk33V/232x309.jpg?center=0.5,0

I have a very rough copy of their FD that cuts out before the midline step sequence (my software only records for 5 minutes and I started before the beginning of their FD :(). If you'd like me to upload it, let me know.
  26. Theatregirl1122

27. DORISPULASKI

28. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Is this kind of reversed for anyone else? All the graphics are mirror-reversed and so are Meryl and Charlie or I am just over tired tonight?
  29. Bournekraatzfan

love both pictures! This one in the SD is a great shot. That dress just looks gorgeous on Meryl!
  30. shan

shan Well-Known Member

31. lmarie086

Thanks for the link!

Lovely performance, so happy for them! The music suits them so well. I hate to be negative about anything, but I still wish that they would incorporate more of the masquerade into this dance!! It would be a fun addition to the choreography IMO, and I think they would enjoy it. They've always done really well telling a story, so I feel like more of the story could be added here.

But anyway, so happy for them! 4 straight titles, wow. Two outstanding performances here- love that they were looking at each other more in both dances, I thought it made it more personal, and I wish they'd been doing it all along!
  32. literaryfreak

Same here. I find it kinda cool, actually, it's like looking at their program from a different view. It's most probably to avoid getting caught for copyright. USFSA (or icenetwork?) really cracks down on Nationals videos for some reason.
  33. Theatregirl1122

So I was listening to Sweeney Todd today (not the Johnny Depp version, that's a travesty) and I've decided it should be Meryl and Charlie's next FD. If for no other reason than it would be hilarious.
  34. Bournekraatzfan

hehe:)
    I would like to see them do an exhibition to "Come Together." They are so cool, I think it would work well for them.
    If they weren't already doing an Adele piece this year I would suggest "Set Fire to the Rain."
  35. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I love Set Fire to the Rain and would love to see an exhibition. (But obviously not for M/C)
  36. ~tapdancer~

Congrats to Meryl and Charlie on their 4th US title! Love their gorgeous programs this year especially the FD. Awesome score too!
  37. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Congratulations to Meryl and Charlie!:cheer2:

For thread titles…how about "The journey continues in The Year of the Bat" in honor of Die Fledermaus? It is also supported by the UN http://www.yearofthebat.org/
    :rofl:
  38. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'll be in the Minority here but here goes ......

I prefer Meryl's orange SD dress and the original SD ending :eek: But will have to see it more maybe I'll change my mind.
    The new ending would look more at home in a RnRoll /Jive dance .
  39. DORISPULASKI

Also, there is a music pun there, always good in a thread title.

Does anyone remember Al Stewart's "The Year of the Cat" from the 1970's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqZc7ZQURMs
  40. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

There's another one up now that's the right way around
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMt6i58j--A&feature=related
    Who knows how long it will be there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.