Davis/White #11 - Can't wait to see them "on the floor", er...ice!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ~tapdancer~, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said so I'm just going to go with: :swoon: beautiful.

Thanks so much for the video!

2. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

3. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

4. jobelle

jobelle Member

One of the videos give a better view of the start of the program. You can see a bit more interaction at the beginning than the other video which seems to start a little bit after the beginning. I like it!
    Thanks so much to the video posters! I love being able to see new Meryl and Charlie videos. I like what I see. Beautiful program and I'm excited to see it grow throughout the season.

5. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Meryl's legline looks lovely! There is much more fluidity to their skating, just based on these videos (thanks to those who posted them!) Can't wait to see them this season.

And I know this is an odd time to think of music suggestions, but I was curious if anyone thought that The Nightmare Before Christmas could be good for them? The Corpse Bride has been suggested for them before, and I think it would be fun to see them go a sort of darker, but fun, route.

6. mia joy

mia joy New Member

OMG, it's stunning!!! :swoon:

And it's such a pleasure to watch them improve and develop. This is probably the most elegant and mature program I've ever seen from them. So soft and smooth and perfect and the lifts are so gorgeous!

Ok, they're totally my ice dance heroes. I don't even care that I don't like their FD music choice anymore ;)

7. m_chenning

m_chenning Member

I like it very much! I clearly see chymistry in a special way between them. And I'm sure they both have improvements. They have that flight, that special style but more polish now. Glad for them :) .

8. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

I love that exhibition!

9. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I have to say, I'm getting this warm feeling of giddiness about this upcoming season. If their FD has similar style of movement as this exhibition, woohoo, look out! I just love all the beautiful shapes they make here, I think stuff like that instantly pulls the audience in. Like that 2nd lift, I think it's cool how they turned the incredibly technical, powerful lift from Phantom into something so floaty and light here.

It's amazing how a stronger leg line makes a move look 10x better, IMO, it's like a magnifying glass in a good way. :lol: Even Charlie looks like he's been hitting the ballet classes - I think he's extending through the fingertips and rounding his arms more, I'm impressed! It does, to me, look like he's throwing Meryl around a bit, in his exuberance, but it is the first time out for this program. :) I like that they brought back the move from Polovetsian Dances where Meryl is parallel to the ice, I just wish it had more time to breathe.

For years I've thought D/W already have a beautiful flow (Sarabande, Polovetsian Dances, Eleanor Rigby...), and I'm excited if it will be emphasized this season. I too think their natural power is still apparent and will add a nice, unique sheen to any softer skating they do - and I personally consider power/softness to be the holy grail of figure skating, especially ice dance.

10. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

if you just work on extension, toe point and hip turnout, you wont need long legs. just look at katia gordeeva! ;)

11. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

i agree with everyone's assessment here of d/w's soft speed in this exhibition. my worry is when they actually execute their sd and fd since they have to meet point requirements. i hope they wont fall back to being frantic and losing the quality in their positions in their attempt to squeeze as much elements as fast as they could.

12. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

It should serve them well in the rhumba SD.

13. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

I thought that split rotational lift was very cool.

14. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Katia has long legs for her size, but yes, those things do help.

I'm happy they decided to focus on these aspects of their skating this year. Things like this have been holding them back competitively...they show a true champion's attitude by focusing on them!

The one thing I didn't see here was a step sequence, which is understandable as its only an exhibition. But in the past, that's where their position quality has fallen apart and the "frantic" look sometimes appears. Here's hoping that this year will be different and they are saving the best for last. ;)

15. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I feel that way about pretty much every team's step sequences. I am especially dreading this year's circular no touch steps. The straight line no touch steps we've seen in recent years are generally non-dancy, balance-challenged exercises in one foot gyrations, but at least we are used to them. I worry the circular steps will be a whole new level of awkward.

16. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Oh, what we've seen is generally very awkward. I actually like the non-touching straight steps because you can see just how precise and in unison the two skaters are. The NT-circular steps don't allow that and have that awkwardness factor applied ten-fold.

17. DORISPULASKI

One highlight of Meryl & Charlie's programs for me is often the midline step. I'm thinking of their Bollywood program, for example, where even their fingers matched.

18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I love that step sequence!! :cheer2: I'm looking forward to their no touch circular step sequence. I can't believe that the Skate America SD is in 17 days!!

19. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Their non-touching sequences are usually very good. I was thinking about the ones that have to be in hold, like the diagonal in S&D. Guessing things will be much improved now!

20. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

I hope that their FD is fun and entertaining!

21. DORISPULASKI

I ran into this on youtube-it a video from the nosebleed seats on the end of the rink of their Fashion on Ice performances, including the first number, Rhythm of Love. They are so tiny in this film, but it does show something we don't normally see in videos-their speed, and the pattern of the programs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcNSeo8QhcM&NR=1

22. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

dlynndao -- Thank you!

They just move so easily over the ice.

23. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

24. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

After watching the dance clips from Finlandia, I am anxious to see Meryl and Charlie's programs this season. Less than 2 weeks to wait now!!

25. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I know I was thinking the same thing!!

26. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I too am waiting to see their new program. This thread is so much more balanced than the cult (IMO) that is the Virtue and Moir one. I'll have to remember to take an anti-emetic when I go to Skate Canada in a few weeks,:p

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

It's nice that you said that about this thread being more balanced. I've often thought that, too, but being the uber that I am, I know I'm subject to criticism. We do enjoy gushing over D/W but IMO, it doesn't seem to reach the level of V/M uberness. I don't post in the V/M thread anymore, don't want to be a wet blanket, better just to stay away. I still like V/M but there are many more teams I prefer to watch now and let's be honest here, I am a D/W uber and I want them to win. V/M are their closest rivals, so enough said.

Looking forward to seeing D/W's programs of course!

28. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

thank you so much, dlynndao and mollymgr for the videos. I have always found that they have a great connection, but it seems to have grown even more. this exhibition is exquisite and I ove that they have incorporated the blade/boot move from the opening of their Samson and Delilah program (my favourite program of theirs). I am so excited to see them this season:)

29. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I am especially curious about the SD and whether they can really capture a Latin flavor in the steps and body movements. From Finlandia, I was pleasantly surprised at most of the circular non touching footwork. It seems doing it on a curve looks less awkward than going straight down the ice.

If the V-M fans are hepped up by this SD, it's them who need medication. I have not watched the free dances yet, but checked out the video for the short dances, and honestly, nobody is doing justice to the Latin rhythm. While Scott made no attempt at Latin at all, Tessa's salute to Latin seemed to consist of writhing her torso and wriggling her shoulders when they were standing still. Once they started moving, there was no more Latin there. IMO, the Shibs effort was just sad. It is probably not fair to ask a 16 yo to do seductive/sensual, esp not when skating with her brother, but really, there was nothing remotely rhumba/samba/salsa/whatever Latin about this piece. Bates/Chock actually did have a couple places where the timing of their steps had the slight syncopation of quick - slow, but those moments were fleeting.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, mute the sound when you watch these SPs. If it weren't for the costumes and the posing could you tell it wasn't any other generic dance? Anybody see quick-quick-slow in there?

30. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I love the extended version! I'll forever get a kick out of the opening shot, with Meryl just chilling out, casually drinking water while perched on Charlie's leg. And you can see it coming with the reflection off the boards. I love all the slow-mo stuff here - like the tango moments (which really makes you appreciate how much work they must have put it into them) and that fluid circular step sequence. :swoon: I was rewatching the FD from Worlds and there is a lone person clapping right after they finish the circ step seq. Is it Igor? :)

I'm so curious what D/W's SD will be like, if it will similar to the other Shpilband/Zoueva ones we've seen at Finlandia. I'm looking forward to it - I get JLo's "On the Floor" stuck in my head whenever I hear it (to my own embarrassment). I can see the no-touching circular step seq set to the chorus of this. It's so hard to not pre-emptively choreograph stuff in your head!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.