Davis and White #27: "Phoning it in" for Meryl and Charlie.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by shan, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

It's hard to judge just by what you read online as to how people really feel though, there are a lot of people, like myself, who watch and vote but don't talk about it because they don't care to. I'm a part-time lurker. Sometimes people feel intimidated by trying to jump into a group where there is already a set social dynamic so they lurk and if they are watching DWTS maybe voting without talking about it. Its also tricky because you have to remember that there are a lot of people who aren't necessarily in fan boards who are still voting.

As to which one will get voted off first, Charlie as actually been the more active of the two of them on social media. He always has been. But Meryl has a bigger following. I don't know the exact Twitter numbers anymore but she has around 20,000 more followers on Instagram. Which is the platform she seems to be most consistently active on. I hope Meryl doesn't get eliminated first because she is the one showing the most growth. But ultimately there are way to many factors to determine which one will go first. Although speculation is always fun:). As long as she outlasts Nene I think I can handle it.

2. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

........and then there are people like me, who talk about it, but don't watch (I watch the videos the following day), and don't vote (too lazy).

3. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

4. Nadia2013

Nadia2013 Well-Known Member

So cute! Meryl finally does the worm. :) I saw a comment that Maks should have joined in the booty-shaking. I wouldn't mind that. ;)

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

No, it's perfectly fine. Not IDEAL but totally workable. I'd way rather try to dance cha cha to that than "Walk Like An Egyptian" and on DTWS one can never count out their doing something that bizarre.

6. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

LOL that's great. So nice to see them having fun. :) Best of luck to them both tomorrow!

7. missysays

missysays Active Member

That's too bad that they cut away from Maks because I wanted to see his reaction to Meryl doing the worm! :lol::lol::lol:

8. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I agree. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she goes home this week. Because she has danced so well, I think people assume she's safe. But, she had a bad song and style last week. Her scores were relatively weak and other "stars" have bigger fan bases. And, even assuming that she and Charlie equally split the Marlie vote, they're still vote splitting. But, I suspect that viewers prefer Charlie. He's cute and generally has had songs and dance styles that suit him.

9. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

I'm guessing they won't be incorporating the worm into the tango? :lol:

10. LovelyMeteora

LovelyMeteora Member

Maybe I'm just foolishly optimistic, but I don't think Meryl's going anywhere. She's so sweet and adorable, she's doing a great job, she has great chemistry with her partner, and she's dancing with someone who has a built-in fanbase. Besides, haven't most of the rumored vote totals put her in pretty high? I know they're not gospel, but people did correctly predict the Cody boot based on some of that rumored data, I believe. And that Candace's enormous fanbase would save her despite her low scores. If those are to be believed, Meryl is doing fine right now and Charlie is in the more precarious position.

But I honestly don't think any of this will come into play seriously until Nene, Drew, and either Candace or Danica have departed. I think the field going down to five and then four are going to be the crucial weeks for Meryl and Charlie to get votes. Right now Amy and James seem to be frontrunners as well, and there's only room for three of them in the finale.

It's probably not the first time he's seen it. ;) I can just imagine Meryl breaking that one out at 2 am in some random city to make him laugh.

11. Boozy

Boozy New Member

12. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I feel that way too. No matter how much we speculate we have no control over it. I'm going to try to refrain from discussing/thinking about it and just enjoy it for as long as they're on.

That was really cute. I'm so glad they posted it.

13. caitie

caitie Member

Kristyn Burtt who hosts Afterbuzz had to miss this week's show, but she posted her thoughts about Disney Week on her website. Here's what she said about Meryl and Charlie:

14. Marlie fan

Marlie fan New Member

I don't think you're being optimistic here, and I agree with your points. Every poll or rating (ie, "likes" on facebook) I've seen since the beginning of this season's show have had Meryl on top or near the top. I think it's indicative of how other fans who follow the show think of her dancing this season and of her popularity. And Maks does have a big twitter following of his own, albeit not as large as Derek's. I know Cody's twitter following didn't help him much, but that may be because almost all of his followers did so solely because of his music and probably aren't the right DWTS demographic. And aren't most of them in Australia anyway? Probably most of Maks twitter fan base are all DWTS viewers. Cody also got low scores from the judges. While Meryl has been underscored on at least 2 dances IMO (cha-cha and swing) her scores have still been pretty high overall. I believe we'll see Meryl in the finals, along with James or Charlie, and think she has a good chance to win.

15. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

Kristyn is echoing my opinions of the two couples. I keep worrying that Maks isn't adding enough content to their routines and I know Meryl can handle it. On the other hand, Sharna is putting tons of content into hers and Charlie's routines. She really is an amazing choreographer!

16. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

I worry more for Charlie than I do Meryl. I'd worry a lot less for Charlie if James weren't around because I have a sneaking suspicion that the two are splitting the "cute guy" votes.

17. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

18. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

The Olympics are over, DWTS isn't worth worrying about to me. D/W are here to have fun. Maks could put in more content, but I value Meryl having fun vs. Meryl winning a tv show. Not to mention, I think it'd be slightly cruel to push them any harder with the schedules they have.

19. mollymgr

THIS.
    I don't worry at all. I see this as a bonus to their Olympic victory and I don't want to ruin my enjoyment of seeing their amazing experience on this show by worrying over things that are out of my control. Some days I can't even believe they are on it because we are so used to seeing them on just skating related shows. :)

20. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

I'm going to Detroit - I'll now be playing "scan the on-ice seats during the interval" to amuse myself!

21. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Kristyn Burtt does not remember any DWTS celeb ever doing a solo bumper, let alone one with invisible penguins.

22. mollymgr

That's trailblazing in true D/W fashion.:cool:

23. Muffin

Muffin New Member

I agreed with Kristyn - Meryl's doing more content than it seems, she's just making it look effortless and easy. Someone like Candace had a routine that was busier and looked cool, but the way she dances made it look a lot harder than it was.

A stopped clock is right twice a day. Pure has absolutely no inside information on how people are voting, all they have are conspiracy theories they have made up. They firmly believe that Meryl - at the bottom half of the leaderboard, tied for fifth with Nene - was overscored this week because the judges are determined to help her get to the final. Makes no sense at all.

There are way too many factors involved for me to try to guess what the outcome will be. I'm splitting my votes for Meryl & Charlie right now. In weeks where one of them has been underscored, I've given more of my votes to that person. When it gets to the final, I'll give all of my votes to the one who I feel danced better throughout the season.

24. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I also see this as a bonus for Meryl and Charlie. It's not the Olympics. So, it's not a big deal when they get the boot. I'm not at all "worried" about when they are going to go home. It's just a fun dance show. For a lot of people, part of the fun of watching the show is speculating about who is going to go home and when. If that kind of discussion and speculation ruins your enjoyment and worries you, though, then scrolling past those kinds of posts is probably a good idea for you.

25. mollymgr

Thank you for your wonderful advice.

26. Nadia2013

Nadia2013 Well-Known Member

Another bonus would be if their experience at DWTS inspires them to continue skating. :) I'm still a little bit hopeful.

27. LovelyMeteora

LovelyMeteora Member

Well, to be fair, ALL of the bumpers might involve invisible penguins, for all we know. :lol:

28. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

You'll have to be on the lookout for Maks and Sharna too. :) Have a great time and please report back to us.

29. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

At the very least, I hope this gig will lead to other opportunities that allow us to see them skate. I'd also be thrilled if they could get a book deal.

30. teacakes

teacakes New Member

I like this saying, I've never heard it before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.