Davis and White #27: "Phoning it in" for Meryl and Charlie.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by shan, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

2. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

I would have to agree.

Taking a page from the shortest books thread, Best song choices for your dance styles by DWTS Production Team

3. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I'm familiar with the song. I was going off the hand gestures.

That's definitely more of a party song, but a difficult cha cha.

4. Johnny_Fever

Its possible. I heard that some of the higher priced participants would get their own private bus. I think Dorothy Hamill and Brian Boitano shared one bus, or each had their own. Or maybe that was Champions on Ice?

5. Johnny_Fever

Walk Like an Egyptian was my first thought too. Sharna said she didn't like her song choice, but I don't think its so bad. I bet it will be a crowd pleaser.

6. Nadia2013

Nadia2013 Well-Known Member

I agree. It sounds like "Everybody Dance Now". It's a good song for Charlie. Fast, upbeat songs are his forte. :) I'm starting to get excited for Monday!

7. skatfan

skatfan Well-Known Member

I think that was Champions on Ice, Brian and Dorothy share a bus so they could sleep on it. Dorothy was close to or in her forties, so I understand that completely!

Back to Charlie and Meryl, I'm hoping they can tough out this schedule through the end of the tour, and get a couple of private plane flights along the way.

8. Muffin

Muffin New Member

I don't want to hear "Everybody Dance Now" outside of the context of V&M's exhibition. :( It could be really cute, but I'm sad for Charlie having to attempt a Cha Cha to that. Also, I feel like he's left the biggest impression with his lighthearted jazz and jive routines, and now it's time to go back to something serious that will make more of an impression.

9. Jessiebanana

I agree. It's one thing when he blows people out of the water with his upbeat routines, but Everybody Dance Now doesn't have a very cha cha rythym. Which I feel is ironic, because cha cha seems to be the one dance that easiest to dance to non latin music. Thank goodness he's got Sharna though. I think if anyone could choreograph through this, of the female pros, it's her. I worry this will be his Jungle Book routine, but I'm not sure he can afford not to wow people.

I'm a bit worried about Charlie though and I never thought I would. Going into this show, I thought the appeal of them was as a pair and that they'd go out at similar times in the competition. I also thought Charlie's kind of goofy, slightly more prone to error, nature would endear him more to fans. I never factored in that Meryl might become a force on her own, which in hindsight is incredibly naive! I didn't know Maks was coming back, I didn't expect them to pair him with her, and I really didn't expect them to have the chemistry that you know people are voting for. Cody's fan base is a lot bigger than Charlie's and he's out. I'm starting to think it's possible he could get voted off before Nene and Drew...especially Nene. If you haven't noticed the men are dropping faster than the women this season. Only one woman has been eliminated and she was the obvious one to go.

10. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Member

I knew Meryl would do better as a dancer, but I also expected she'd be less popular than Charlie, just because she's shyer. But I think people are kind of fascinated with her in particular, and her sweet partnership with Maks. It kind of has the "will they won't they" feel, which audiences love.

11. Muffin

Muffin New Member

Yes, some DWTS veterans on Television Without Pity think it's just another one of Maks' showmances. Meryl & Maks seem to genuinely like each other, but he knows what he's doing when it comes to playing it up for the cameras.

Also on Television Without Pity, somebody who knows somebody from the Stars on Ice Tour said they call Maks "Meryl's Little Lamb". As in, wherever Meryl goes, her lamb is sure to follow. He goes to her practices, he goes to all the shows and he's basically with her all the time. (Unlike Sharna, who goes back to the hotel to rest when she's not working with Charlie.)

12. CuriousCCat

CuriousCCat New Member

I kind of feel the opposite and think Meryl's going to be the surprise boot this season. Charlie is the kind of contestant who generally does well with the DWTS audience and I see a lot of posts about how adorable he is. Any ringer backlash seems to be going toward Meryl, and while Maks has fans he also has a ton who don't like him. I've also seen a number of Davis/White fans who seem to vote for him more than her, probably because they feel that he needs them more like you do, so that's a plus in his favor as well. I hope they both make the final but I think it will just be Charlie.

13. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Oh man, where is that picture of Meryl holding a lamb from SOI 4 years ago? So Maks is her lamb this time around. :lol:

14. pinkmary

pinkmary Member

I absolutely agree with you. I've also seen a lot of DW fans voted more for Charlie, basically with the same reason as you listed, while Meryl got a lot of hate by her looks and her closeness with the Chmerkovskiy brothers. I even saw some hating comments on her instagram which argued how unfair it is to have her on DWTS.

15. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Member

Meryl and Charlie were awesome in SOI Portland! Amazing show!

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  16. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

I have to disagree, the only hate Meryl seems to be getting is from the Derek-fangirls who hate Maks & Val, a very small segment of anti-ringer people (who think both Meryl & Charlie shouldn't be on the show) and lastly certain V/M fans, in fact I've seen some V/M fans posted on TWOP having been completely won over by Meryl and Charlie by seeing how genuinely kind and down-to-earth they are after watching them on DWTS. Also I think Meryl is the more popular one given she has more followers on Instagram and Twitter, and looking at the comments on the Facebook DWTS page, Meryl is getting a high amount of comments & likes on there. Also figure skaters in general do very well on DWTS, so I really don't see a surprise elimination for either Meryl or Charlie.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  17. Jessiebanana

All ringers are vulnerable to a Sabrina-esque early kick out, so I definitely don't count that out. I just don't think there is any way to judge that, so why talk about it. More often than not ringers with decent personalities make it to the finals. I think overall viewers like to see good dancing. Also, I didn't say Meryl would make it to the finals, not trying to jinx it. I just think she's in a better position as far as viewer interest.

I don't think forums are the best way to guess though. Everybody on a forum is more invested than the casual viewer and I would guess the casual viewer is still in the majority. The ratings have them in the 14-15 millions right? Not all of them vote of course, but even if it was only a fraction it would largely outnumber fan sites.

I may worry about Charlie, but I'm still voting mostly for Meryl btw ;).

18. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

19. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

That's no doubt so the judges can complain that the dance was entertaining but not enough of a cha-cha. He seems to get one week up and one week down assignments.

20. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Well at least Everybody Dance Now is in 4/4 time. If the band plays it as a cha cha it might work, sorta.

21. Katha

Katha New Member

Last week Meryl had the dud music-wise, now it's Charlie's turn. ;) I'm sure they'll make it work. :cool: Meryl's music isn't ideal either IMO, but probably as good as it was going to get when they need to do a tango on "party anthem week". It could have been so much worse...

Meryl posted this on her Instagram, thanking Sharna and Maks for dealing so well with Marlie's crazy schedule and endless road trips:
    http://instagram.com/p/m-7fy3DEc6/#

I'm sure their hectic schedule is not only super hard and punishing on Meryl and Charlie, but also on their pros. Who need to adapt to constantly changing training locations (I'm sure production is helping with organization, but still), many hours of driving around and the lack of proper rest that comes with it. Then they get back to LA on Sunday for blocking so they can teach Marlie what they need to do during the show when they arrive and they need to quickly learn the choreography for the dances the pros are doing that week. It sounds insane. I know Evan/Anna did it as well, or perhaps even a worse form of it, and I'm just in awe how fabulous they were nearly every week in their dances. Just like I'm in awe of Meryl and Charlie. And if they progress then it will get worse because they'll have to do two dances a week...

As for their chances on the show, it's difficult to gauge the general public's reaction. I think they're both doing very well dance-wise and they come across as likable. Is that enough? Who knows. Charlie has a pro who doesn't yet have a very big fanbase of her own, though she is really cool and awesome, so I'm sure she's gaining fans now that she has a contender and gets a bit more attention. And IMO Charlie is also such a sunshine that hopefully people will respond to that. Even the DWTS producers are already responding to it and let him dance with penguins. ;) He's also getting less ringer backlash than Meryl, as far as I can see. Probably both because he's a man and unfortunately that's how these things work and because his more happy-go-lucky personality seems less threatening than Meryl's poise and focus.

Meryl has been more active on social media, so she has perhaps more of a connection to her followers who will then go and vote for her? Idk. She has a pro with a more solid fanbase. But he's also polarizing. How much of an effect does that have outside of forums where dedicated fans of the show hang out? These dedicated fans are also well organized and probably vote often on all kinds of accounts. Are there people who will categorically never vote for Maks, no matter what? I mean, I seem to have noticed a shift in perception of Meryl already in some places, like she's "tainted by association" because they get along well and she's on a bit of a one-woman PR-tour telling everybody what a great guy he is. They would have probably been fine with her if she was miserable and hated him.:lol: I've also seen people projecting all sorts of things on her, like that she's arrogant or cold or that she feels entitled to win. Which is probably also tied to the whole "female ringers get more backlash" phenomenon and to the fact that she's more reserved than Charlie. I haven't seen such talk about him.

But she also gets a lot of likes and comments on the various social media pages, her own and DWTS-associated, and there are also a lot of positive comments about her dancing and her partnership with Maks. So hopefully that outweighs the negatives and she gets loads of votes and support. :) I would love to see both her and Charlie in the finale. :)

22. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

The producers are not quite as picky as the ISU panel since almost all song choices have been questionable. ;) :lol: I can't really blame them because they can't keep reusing stuff from past seasons either.
    I think it will be great. I can't wait for Monday.:cheer2:

Happy Easter!

23. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

25. applelady

applelady Active Member

26. Johnny_Fever

Is Everybody Dance Now really that lame? It seems like the type of song that the show's demographic group would go for. I don't particularly care for it, but I only like about 1% of the songs that they use on DWTS.

27. Jessiebanana

I like the song, and if this was SYTYCD and they were doing hip hop to it, I would be super excited. Now someone mentioned it had the 4/4 time, so perhaps it will be awesome and we're all concerned for nothing. Maks did a better job with their samba than I thought possible.

28. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Cody's fan base is not the DWTS demographic while Charlie's is, so it's very different. On the other hand, skating fans may be spitting their votes between Meryl and Charlie.

Drew's fan base is right in line with the show's demo and I think he's winning over fans by his effort and personality. I hope Nene's worn out her welcome. She's either being obnoxious or being emotional. Time for her to go!

29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I know I am...
    I figured I'm going to have to pick one this week, as number of alloted votes is getting small...

And I occasionally throw votes to Drew- because he looks like he is having so much fun, and improving, and I feel to some degree that's what the show is supposed to be about. I'm not really sure Meryl or Charlie have gotten any better than they were when they started. It's just they didn't know they could do these things because they haven't tried them yet.

30. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Love both Meryl and Charlie, but I decided early on just to vote for one. I thought Meryl might need more help, being shy and all. I am continuing to vote all Meryl- she has surprised me the most. I knew Charlie would be great at this-just didn't know how Meryl would adapt.

THat said, I think Meryl will be voted off first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.